All Ears Audiobooks discussion

General Discussion > Young Adult Books for Adults

Comments (showing 51-60 of 60) (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Lars (new)

Lars Guthrie | 91 comments Julie at All Ears wrote: "Rick Riordan is starting a new series.... Adding to your list I would include -
Fablehaven - Brandon Mull, The 39 Clues, Geronimo Stilton, Magic Tree House Series (I know the writing is pretty bad, but kids seem to love these), Peter and the Starcatchers, Pendragon - D.J. MacHale. Have you had any success with the Warriors series? I really do not like them, but we get a lot of requests for them (not available in audio)."

I keep shying away from '39 Steps' because of all the peripheral marketing which I don't like at least on the surface, but if that gets kids reading.... I've definitely had good response using 'Geronimo Stilton' and 'Magic Tree House' both of which almost made my list. 'Magic Tree House' also has study guides, which some kids have really liked. I need to read Brandon Mull and D.J. MacHale.

You're talking about 'Cat Warriors,' right, Julie? Those seem to be really big a couple of years ago but not as much now. I don't really like them, either, but kids have been really enthusiastic. There are also graphic novel versions now.

message 52: by 4th-8th (last edited Apr 01, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

4th-8th | 17 comments Julie at All Ears wrote: "4th-8th wrote: "Forgive me if a few of these may not be 100% YA.
The asterisk is for books that I truly feel adults will like too. I like coming of age stories so the others may not have the same ..."

Extremely Loud was an audio listen my 11 year old and I shared in the car. He mostly wanted to listen only to the main character, so there was some skipping. He may have been largely interested to the humor and the persistance of a meaningful hunt. Sharing a book brings up many discussions that would probably be left unsaid. We live close to the Pentagon and it was a good time to discuss loss for those in our area, New York and the impact on history.
I will have to take a look at the book to see what you mean about the fonts. It is fun to see a book go outside of convention. In 'The Knife of Never Letting Go', there is significance to particular fonts and it always lets you know something exciting is about to occur.

message 53: by 4th-8th (new)

4th-8th | 17 comments Top ten series books to get kids hooked on reading, from youngest to oldest:

Clementine/Pennypacker
Joey Pigza/Gantos
Unicorn Chronicles/ Coville
My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher Books) Coville
Percy Jackson/Riordan
39 Clues
Hunger Games/Collins
Everlost/Shusterman

I'll add more later

message 54: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments I'd almost forgotten about the My Teacher is an Alien series.
I'd say any children's book by Roald Dahl would also make kids want to read.

message 55: by Donna (last edited Apr 05, 2010 08:39PM) (new)

Donna (donnaweyer) So the latest gem from Boldtype was the highlighting of a blog http://curiouspages.blogspot.com/ where "Inappropriate books for kids" are listed.

Scary. Very Scary. Potatoes revolt, we learn about how to bury a dead bird and toothbrushes talk. It's amazing what people think is appropriate for kids books!

Actually it's kinda fun and as my daughter would be prone to say - "creepy".

message 56: by Lars (new)

Lars Guthrie | 91 comments 4th-8th wrote: "Top ten series books to get kids hooked on reading, from youngest to oldest:"

Nice choices!

message 57: by Lars (new)

Lars Guthrie | 91 comments Dawn wrote: "I'd almost forgotten ...
I'd say any children's book by Roald Dahl would also make kids want to read."

More good ones, Dawn. Of course, Roald Dahl. The reading level and vocabulary should not deter recommending him. There's something he's got that really connects to kids.

message 58: by Lars (new)

Lars Guthrie | 91 comments Donna wrote: "So the latest gem from Boldtype "

It is a gem. I guess I've got a creepy streak but I have some of the books and like them and am interested in finding some of the ones I don't know.

message 59: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments Hi Donna,
Well, now I'll have to look up that list. I'm interesting in how the potatoes revolted.

message 60: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaweyer) Lars -

isn't that blog fun! I'd expect you'd have a bunch of the books there since creepy = fun.

there's also a bunch of books there i read as a kid. Memories... :)

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Graveyard Book (other topics)
Riding Freedom (other topics)
Sky Bridge (other topics)
Esperanza Rising (other topics)
Montana 1948 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Will Hobbs (other topics)
Avi (other topics)
Victoria Hanley (other topics)