Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Tell us about your recent BR finds!

Comments (showing 101-150 of 209) (209 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Miller Sandi wrote: "Mike wrote: "Lucky day: Angelique in Revolt by Sergeanne Golon & The Countess Angelique by Sergeanne Golon"

Hey Mike... I went into a treasure/junk shop and got ALL of Sergeanne Golon's books..."

Jealousy is an ugly thing, but I feel it ;) Wow! What a find, indeed. I paid three bucks a piece for mine, and one of them is in a sad state.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 820 comments Mod
OK..Im about to make ya feel worse..these are all in "new" condition..she never read them..said they looked too "trashy" put them away & forgot about them.
felt like I won the lottery!

message 103: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Miller Sandi wrote: "OK..Im about to make ya feel worse..these are all in "new" condition..she never read them..said they looked too "trashy" put them away & forgot about them.
felt like I won the lottery!"

"Talk to the hand, Sandi, 'cause the face don't understand." lol. I'd feel like I won the lottery too, if I stumbled upon that. You'd better hang onto them...tight! Have you seen any of the Angelique movies? I'm curious about them, too, and just discovered that Netflix has them :)

No I didnt even know there was movies? I have seen these books selling for $$ on ebay tho..

message 105: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Miller Sandi wrote: "No I didnt even know there was movies? I have seen these books selling for $$ on ebay tho.."

Yes, there are five movies. I'm going to Netflix them first, and if I like them, I may buy the boxed set. Check it out on Amazon.

And yes, the price sellers are asking for the books has really put me off buying them. In time, hopefully, I'll get them collected.

Ummm..Im in Canada..we dont get alot of the stuff the US does..maybe Im not looking in the right place? I cant find it at Amazon.ca

message 107: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Miller Sandi wrote: "Ummm..Im in Canada..we dont get alot of the stuff the US does..maybe Im not looking in the right place? I cant find it at Amazon.ca"

Try this link:
http://www.amazon.ca/Angelique-Collec...

Thank-you Mike!! Ive put it on order!!! :)

message 109: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Miller Sandi wrote: "Thank-you Mike!! Ive put it on order!!! :)"

Excellent. And I should receive my first one from Netflix in just a few days. Let's get the popcorn ready!

OH yeah..your on! :)

message 111: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Miller Watched my first Angelique movie last night. Of course Netflix sent it to me out of order, and I couldn't wait, so I watched the second one: Road to Versailles. Really entertaining, and better than I expected. I think everyone here would really like them.

message 112: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 190 comments OH HAPPY DAY!!!

I was browsing through the books at the thrift store this afternoon... nothing good, so I was about to give up, when I saw this big bin of books... I stuck my arm in and moved some books around and BAMM, there was a hardcopy of The Windflower for only $2!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited!!!! Of course, I would be even more happy if I hadn't already spent $25 on the paperback...

message 113: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1675 comments Mod
LMAO...oh, ain't that always the way?

Even if you did pay $25 for the pb, your find is proof that it can be had out there for cheap if you happen to be in the right place, right time, etc.

I was just at the local UBS today and all of their discounted books are old fantasy crap. All the romance, even if it's been on the shelves for 7 freakin' years, never gets discounted. Sucks!

message 114: by KC (new)

KC (LoveEE) | 27 comments Man, I am DROOLING at everyone's finds! Color me green with envy!

Anywhoodle, I found Stormfire (which is an all time fave of mine) for $10 (in excellent condition) recently and I thought I had scored big (for the price). However, I think I better stick around here and get tips on how/where to find the good stuff for cheap. You all seem to have your finger on the pulse of good finds. Isn't it exciting to find the HTF stuff in the least likeliest of places?

message 115: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Creeker) | 132 comments Goodwill and Flea Markets are the best place to find the oldies but goodies. The Goodwills are really good around here 50 cent a book. How much are the goodwill books where your at?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I like shopping at thriftbooks.com because they have free shipping and a couple of times I've found books for less than $4 that were going for $20+ on ebay!

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 60 comments I don't think this book is really hard to find. But I recently picked up Straight For The Heart by Marsha Canham. I'm not even sure how much of a bodice ripper it is although the inside flap is definately a bodice ripper picture.

message 118: by Terri (new)

Terri (Brookfield) | 29 comments I don't know if i am wrong but are there 2 different stormfire who is the author that everyone talks about is it carol finch?

message 119: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 190 comments @Terri... The famous BR one is by Christine Monson :)

Stormfire by Christine Monson

message 120: by Sans (new)

Sans So I've been looking for Stormfire at the used book shops that I haunt, with no luck. I finally checked Amazon and there's an import version for a great price but... it's published by some house named Corgi Childrens? That doesn't sound right to me.

message 121: by Karla (new)

I've seen a lot of romances/HF UK imprints under "Corgi Childrens" - not sure WHY, but Corgi IS a UK imprint and Worldcat shows that it was published by Corgi in 1986.

message 122: by Sans (new)

Sans The "Childrens" part really threw me for a loop. Well, it was cheap and I got free shipping. I guess we'll see if it's legit in a couple weeks.

message 123: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (JenneferPracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
I just picked up Never Call It Love for $.50 at the library book sale! Score!

Never Call It Love by Veronica Jason

message 124: by Jennefer (new)

I know! I'm super excited!

message 125: by Stephanie (last edited May 03, 2011 04:30AM) (new)

Stephanie (Creeker) | 132 comments I found these at this little book store on 99 cent table when we went to flea market last weekedend.
The Black Swan
Moss Rose
My Lord Monleigh
My Love My Enemy
The Wind and The Sea
The Bargain
The Tender Devil
Frostfire
Ride the Storm Out
The Daughters of Cameron (can't wait to read these two since I loved loved The Taming)
They are all in pretty good condition too, only two pretty raggedy is Aleen Malcom books :)
I searched that table three times to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Score!

message 126: by Karla (new)

Wow, that's quite a haul! And two Jan Cox Speas, too!

message 127: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Creeker) | 132 comments I know it was so odd I was like finding them in two's. Jan Speas, Day Taylor, Aleen Malcom, when I seen the Wind and The Sea I knew I was gonna find Bound by the Heart! LOL Grrr Never gonna get that book.

message 128: by Karla (new)

Except the ebook version has been "fixed" by Canham and the BRness toned down to be more PC. Grrr! Wish I'd known that before I bought it! :( So I'm still holding out hope to get an old pb copy.

message 129: by Karla (new)

I know! On the one hand, I think "Oh, it was only $2" and on the other hand, I think "Damn authors! Stop tinkering with your old stuff!"

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (LadyEvelynQuince) | 201 comments That stinks! I bought the e-book too because it was cheap and retro. I hate rewrites. Elaine Coffman did the same thing with Escape Not My Love by Elaine Coffman--the first historical I ever read, so very dear to me. The hero was a paleolithic knuckle-dragger, when he first met the heroine he made her strip naked at gunpoint so he could see her goodies. She rewrote the damn thing and turned him into a SNAGlepuss. The book was a NY Times best seller in its original form. Do not mess with perfection!

Wow Creeker you really lucked out! I have all 3 of Aleen Malcom books in the perfect condition that I bought them, I loved this triolgy..the 3 book has some sad parts tho...And the Black Swan & Moss Rose, loved those ones too..enjoy your reads! :)

message 132: by Jennefer (new)

Creeker wrote: "I found these at this little book store on 99 cent table when we went to flea market last weekedend.
The Black Swan
Moss Rose
My Lord Monleigh
My Love My Enemy
The Wind and The Sea
The Barga..."

Wow! There is nothing like finding a good haul of books in real life like that! E-shopping is fun to, just not the same :)

message 133: by LuvGirl (last edited May 04, 2011 06:31PM) (new)

LuvGirl | 15 comments Everyone is waxing poetic about what a nice guy "Bound By The Heart" hero is now... I'm so pissed! I only paid 99 cent, but still!

Does anyone know of anymore out of prints that just made it to ebook?

message 134: by Karla (new)

Some Miriam Minger titles from the 90s have been released on ebook. Don't know if they've been "improved" - but the one Minger I read was mild anyway, so I don't think there's anything to "fix."

message 135: by LuvGirl (new)

LuvGirl | 15 comments Thanks Karla

message 136: by Joeera (last edited May 06, 2011 06:07PM) (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I just bought

Bertrice Small
Skye O'malley
Darling Jasmine

Johanna Lindsey
So Speakes The Heart
A Heart So Wild
Onces A Princess

Valerie Sherwood
Wild Willful Love

Enchantress(Constance O'bayon)
Stolen Splender (Miriam Minger
Beauty And The Beast (Hannah Howell)
Enslaved (Virgiba Henley)
Renegade Heart(Madeline baker)
Jamie Reid (Gordon Ogilive)
Dark Seductin (Brenda Joyce)
Only Mine(Elizabeth Lowell)
Desire's Dream (Peggy Hanchar)
Bayou Bride (Bobi Smith)

message 137: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Creeker) | 132 comments I don't have an e book reader. I really love the feel and smell of my books when I read them crazy as it seems.

Another thing with the reissuing of books, if it's really older type book I try my best to find the original copy. I hate to think I'm missin out on something. Like in Whitney My Love. I would really never know whether or not certain scenes get changed up a bit even if I did read a reissue.

I totally agree with you Creeker! I love the feel,smell, and the models on those old covers,having all that in your hand makes it feel more "personal" I dont have an ereader either, and the only way I would is that new books are just getting too $$$ to buy. I still love the rush of the "hunt and find" of the older books :)

message 139: by Karla (new)

Granted I haven't used my ereader much, but I've found it REAL hard to get as involved in a book on the reader compared to a paper copy. I really got into The Sheik, but there were other factors at work there, i.e., Valentino!

But the other books I've read on it have been lukewarm experiences at best. :-\ I'll always be a paperback girl.

message 140: by Karla (new)

And something not very nice about having some inexplicable hardware failure making all those books go *poof* into non-existence. :P

message 141: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 74 comments Went to one of my local Goodwills recently and they had a whole bunch of 'em, I didn't even know which ones to get or nothing. But I picked up a couple... got Savage Surrender by Natasha Peters, and So Speaks the Heart by Johanna Lindsey.

Kit★ wrote: "Went to one of my local Goodwills recently and they had a whole bunch of 'em, I didn't even know which ones to get or nothing. But I picked up a couple... got Savage Surrender by Natasha Peters, and [boo..."

Ive got Savage Surrender and sequel,just got to get around to reading:(

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 31 comments I'm going thru a phase of reading the most notorious bodice rippers of all time. Just read the original Whitney, My love and the hero in that would have been arrested by today's standards and next up is Stormfire... anybody got any others which really push the envelope by today's standards?

message 144: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 74 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm going thru a phase of reading the most notorious bodice rippers of all time. Just read the original Whitney, My love and the hero in that would have been arrested by today's standards and next ..."

Have you read Wicked Loving Lies yet? I read it semi-recently, and it was pretty rough :)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 31 comments Kit★ wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I'm going thru a phase of reading the most notorious bodice rippers of all time. Just read the original Whitney, My love and the hero in that would have been arrested by today's standa..."

That's by Rosemary Rogers, right. I have read all of hers but a long time ago and all of kathleen Woodiwiss too. Thanks, though.

message 146: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) | 30 comments These were all in a neighbor's garage sale. None in mint condition but I had never heard of some of these. Texas Touch by Emma Merritt Lawless Ecstasy by Susan Sackett River Rapture by Kay McMahon Nights of Fire by Patricia Pellicane Captive Chains by Sonya T. PeltonI don't know if these count as bodice rippers, but they are older with those cool covers.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 31 comments I haven't heard of them either but the covers certainly scream "bodice ripper" LOL.

Nice "sparkly" covers:)

message 149: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbity) | 10 comments I cringe when I think of all the BRs that I have disposed of over the years...sigh...

message 150: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) | 30 comments Me too. I'm not turning them loose anymore!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Midnight Lady (other topics)
Ride the Savage Sea (other topics)
Unconquered (other topics)
Hide My Savage Heart (other topics)
Whitney, My Love (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa Valdez (other topics)
Lisa Kleypas (other topics)
Susan Sizemore (other topics)