Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Ladies, Which Women Authors Would You Recommend to Men?

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ladies, which women authors would you recommend to men? And I know you'd probably recommend them to other women, too, but I hope you know what I mean...sometimes women authors can get lost in the shuffle...I hope that's fair to say. I'll shut up now and hope you know what I mean lest I dig myself in a deeper hole. No, I won't. I mean that I found myself not reading many women authors...and it's not like I was avoiding them, I just wasn't reading them. So what do you think?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have the same problem as you. the few women authors i do read, and like, are jane austen and toni morrison.

message 3: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (HerMajesty) | 122 comments I don't qualify. but the name Isabel Allende comes up.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Her wrote: "I don't qualify. but the name Isabel Allende comes up."

How do you not qualify?

message 5: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (HerMajesty) | 122 comments Jim wrote: "Her wrote: "I don't qualify. but the name Isabel Allende comes up."

How do you not qualify?"

well, i don't read to women authors either, not on purpose anyway.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) I think you're overthinking this, RA. There are certainly many, many great authors that are women, and anyone who reads will tell you they're great authors, regardless of their gender.

Personally, my favorites are Margaret Atwood, Isabel Allende, Joan Didion, and I've recently gotten into Barbara Kingsolver. All outstanding authors.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have been accused of overthinking things before, sir. You're probably right.

message 8: by Barb (new)

Barb Lets see:
Margaret Atwood, Audrey Niffenegger, Colleen McCullough, Sara Gruen, Helen Fielding (though she's pretty chick-litey), Zadie Smith is ok, Marion Zimmer Bradley ... and of course LM Montgomery, Daphne DuMarier, Mary Stewart, Jane Austen ...
That's all I've got right now.

message 9: by Heather (last edited Mar 18, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Heather (HeatherJoy) | 384 comments Depends on genre. Urban Fantasy is one of my favorites and for this I would recommend Richelle Mead (Namely her Succubus Series) and Kelley Armstrong. I hate Charlaine Harris (blasphemous I know) If you are wanting a glimpse into the gothic basement of the female mind: personal favorites include E. Lockhart, Lousie Rennison, and Megan McCafferty. For just a damn fine book, Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games). Oh and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is hilarious in an over the top sort of way.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) Ooh, I totally forgot Zadie Smith. Thanks for reminding me, Barb.

message 11: by Ben (new)

Ben RA, I just read Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse and it blew me away -- one of the best books I've ever read.

message 12: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4010 comments Annie Proulx is the woman author I'd recommend to men.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'd recommend Willa Cather, who I was recently reminded of by a review of her wonderful Death Comes for the Archbishop. Great evocative writing about two Jesuit priests in the southwest during frontier times.

Also, Mary Doria Russell, whose book The Sparrow is also about Jesuits, but this time, traveling to another planet.

Naomi Novik, whose Temeraire series has naval battles in the time of Napoleon, with dragons added. His Majesty's Dragon is the first one.

Ursula LeGuin, especially The Left Hand of Darkness.

And Barbara Kingsolver, whose books are so much about humanity, they are for everyone.

message 14: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) I also forgot Flannery O'Connor.

message 15: by Rannie (new)

Rannie Already named, but Colleen McCullough's Rome series is wonderful. Annie Proulx's The Shipping News, Patricia Cornwell, Laura Joh Rowland, and Elizabeth George. Ursula Leguin's The Disposessed, Lathe of Heaven and Left Hand Of Darkness, and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow among others.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I can only go by what I've recommended to my husband that he has liked:

Kate Atkinson
Hilary Mantel
some Margaret Atwood

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Thanks, people. I guess I always feel a little weird that I don't read a lot of books by women. Maybe I'll start with Ben's Woolf recommendation...

message 18: by Ben (last edited Mar 18, 2010 06:11AM) (new)

Ben That'd be great -- I look forward to your reaction. I've never read Proust, but I hear she was heavily influenced by him -- so if you've read and like him, I'd say it's a good sign you'd probably like Woolf. Her writing is just amazing: I may attempt to review To the Lighthouse -- I have notes scattered about, but there's no way to do that book enough justice in my opinion. No way.

message 19: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (Jez476) | 664 comments Octavia E. Butler I've only read one of her books, Fledgling. It's a completely original take on vampires, more of a sci-fi edge and was just a really great book. There's also Shirley Jackson.

Heather, you're not the only one who hates Charlaine Harris. I read the first Sookie Stackhouse book and hated the ending soooo much I will never read anything by her again.

message 20: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (Jez476) | 664 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Also, Mary Doria Russell, whose book The Sparrow is also about Jesuits, but this time, traveling to another planet...."

I keep seeing that book everywhere! It keeps coming up on recommendations on sites for me. That's it! I'm going to get it.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I'll skip the Flannery O'Connor and Ursula LeGuin and Octavia Butler etc. that are mentioned above but add:

Karen Joy Fowler's first book, Sarah Canary? And her short story collections.

Kate Wilhelm's Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

And are we only counting fiction? Cause if nonfiction counts, I'll add everything Pauline Kael ever wrote about movies.
Chimamanda Adichie's The Thing Around Your Neck?

Arundati Roy's The God of Small Things

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori I've got nothing to add, they've all been named!

message 23: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (Chantelle13) | 38 comments I was going to add Patricia Cornwelland Colleen McCullough.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Boys! Simone de Beauvoir...

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Miss Belle...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Why thank-you RA, most noble moderator :-)

message 27: by Angel (new)

Angel Jenkins (angjen0816) | 10 comments Margaret Atwood, Ayn Rand, Marion Zimmer Bradley are my favs

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

OoOops!! Bun.. :-)

message 30: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4010 comments Ms Atwood is a wonderful writer but she makes me feel depressed so I don't read her. I have admiration, but not love.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's freaky.

message 32: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) I'll come out and say it: Margaret Atwood is hot.

And speaking of Ms. Atwood, here's something I posted on my Facebook page last night that delighted some of my friends:

Atwood in the Twittersphere.

Yep, she's on Twitter. And she's a hoot!

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments "Take that, you sexist pig! I wrote Jane Eyre!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NKXNT...

message 34: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i want a brontësaurus for my birthday.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments

message 36: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments it can read!

message 37: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited May 07, 2010 10:59PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RandomAnthony wrote: ""Take that, you sexist pig! I wrote Jane Eyre!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NKXNT..."

Hahahahahahahaha!!! AWESOME! But why is the pudding not included???

And, that's an ADORABLE Brontësaurus, Sarah Pi!

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Donna Tartt

message 39: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Gus, I just took your MA Twitter story and put it on my Facebook page. Thanks!

message 40: by Donitello (last edited May 09, 2010 04:36AM) (new)

Donitello | 148 comments Ditto Annie Proulx.

Hey, no one's yet mentioned Katherine Dunn's book, Geek Love. Fabulous prose, helluva story.

Also, there's one business book that, believe it or not, I've long thought every man should read if he wants to understand women better: Play Like a Man Win Like a Woman, by Gail Evans. Actually, I also think it would help women understand men better.

message 41: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 22115 comments Fellers, which men authors would you recommend to dames? I'm having trouble coming up with any.

message 42: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Doni wrote: "Ditto Annie Proulx.

Hey, no one's yet mentioned Katherine Dunn's book, Geek Love. Fabulous prose, helluva story..."

I've been trying to get my husband to read Geek Love but he is not excited about it for some reason. It's one of my all-time favorites.

message 43: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 22115 comments Time to revivify this one.

::folds laundry::

message 44: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 430 comments Why Hornby? Which book?

message 45: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Antonia Fraser, The Weaker Vessel

message 46: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Laura Hillenbrand
I absolutely love her.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Left Hand of Darkness (other topics)
His Majesty's Dragon (other topics)
The Sparrow (other topics)
Death Comes for the Archbishop (other topics)
Fledgling (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kate Atkinson (other topics)
Hilary Mantel (other topics)
Margaret Atwood (other topics)
Shirley Jackson (other topics)
Octavia E. Butler (other topics)
More...