Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Fun 'n Games > Quotes, and Passages.

Comments (showing 151-200 of 262) (262 new)    post a comment »

message 151: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments Lady of Sin (Seducers spin-off #2) by Madeline Hunter
His attention settled on her hand, which held the handle of a parasol. "Weapon at the ready, I see."

She was in no mood for levity. She placed the parasol down flat on his desk. It landed harder than she intended, with a decided thwack.

"I will be plain, Mr. Knightridge. Our last meeting destoryed my peace of mind. It was unfair and ungenerous of you to call on me with such ulterior motives."

"It was only a kiss, Lady M."

"I am not speaking of a silly kiss, but of your accusations regarding Mardenford's family."

His lids lowered. "If my kisses are silly, you should do a better job of refusing them."

"I will, you can be sure of that. I only need to think of how you are so quickly take up this criminal's quest to make me reject even the playful flirtation of the last two weeks."

"I can see you are inexperienced in playful fliration."

~~~~~~~~~~~
"I have tried to deal fairy with you," he said.
"I appreciate it. I truly do."
"Your rejection leaves me only one recourse, and that is to seduce you."
"That is an odd conclusion to this conversation. I would not say that is the 'only' recourse."
"I see no other."
"Restraint? Gracious retreat? Friendship?"

message 152: by Leea (new)

Leea I have yet to read any Madeline Hunter... Might need to soon. Whit and charm - bravo!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) That's an author I hadn't heard of yet. It's always nice to learn something new.

message 154: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 25, 2011 10:48PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead

"I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass."

message 155: by Leea (new)

Leea I have this on my night stand... waiting for me :) I'm holding back because the next one has like 5 people in front of me at the library. Dimitri oh how i miss you!!

message 156: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments I picked up Madeline Hunter because my friend and I a couple of years ago were just wandering around the romance novel asile because she wanted to give each of us one for christmas, I liked the cover and thought it woudl be worth a try I liked it

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

"The guy next to her, he's the vamp," Jenna said through a mouthful of pie. She pointed to a really good looking guy in his thirties with black curly hair. "Lord Byron."
I snorted. "Oh God, how angsty can you be, naming yourself after a dead poet?"
But Jenna just looked at me. "No, he's the real Lord Byron."

Okay, so Jenna was not going to be much assistance in squashing the crush. "He's a jerk," I pointed out. "Remember the whole werewolf thing this morning?"
"Yeah," Jenna said drily. "Saving you from a werewolf. What a tool."
I groaned. "You're not helping."

"Sophia Mercer," Elodie intoned, "we have come to induct you into our sisterhood. Say the five words to begin the ritual."
I blinked at her. "Are you freaking kidding me?"

On the upside, my crush on Archer was totally gone. Over. Once a boy has slammed his kneecap into your rib cage, I think any romantic feelings should naturally go the way of the ghost.

I opened my eyes to stare at a bright blue tulle monstrosity with a skirt that would hit me at mid thigh. I'd look like the really slutty bride of Cookie Monster.

message 158: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 10, 2011 10:10PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) by Richelle Mead

"Then this other time, we went to the petting zoo and hung pentagram collars on all the goats. We also painted their horns red and black. Let me tell you, that wasn't easy. They don't like to stand still."

I don't really have anything against Canadians. They're nice. Really nice. But that didn't mean I wanted to go curling with them.

I kept the smile turned on, wondering if I should keep pushing on him now or try to enthrall the whole group. I opted for the latter, largely because I could think of few things more unarousing than having sex on the black Ozzy Osbourne plush rug on the floor. Especially if Evan decided to turn on any black lights.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Don't hurt me for that Canada quote Shell!

message 160: by Leea (new)

Leea Come on it was funny!! American's love to joke about Canadians... Their like our cousins... right!!

Funny story, My Brother's fiance was born in Canada (came to USA when she was like 2 okay). He always introduces her as "hey this is my fiance Erin, she Canadian" It's kind of a family joke!! LMAO!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Poor girl!

message 162: by Leea (new)

Leea I know... She has a great sense of humor and just shakes her head...

message 163: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kelly (AnotherLookBook) | 44 comments Stacia *Ninja Naughty-Bead Thrower* wrote: "Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) by Richelle Mead

"Then this other time, we went to the petting zoo and hung pentagram collars on all the goats. We also painted their horns red and black. Let me tell you, th..."

LOL!! I am Canadian and I even laughed at that quote.

message 164: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
Stacia *Ninja Naughty-Bead Thrower* wrote: "Don't hurt me for that Canada quote Shell!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAH~ THAT was awesome.

message 165: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 12, 2011 10:40PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Even more people were now lining up. They were all wearing black uniforms, and had nearly identical smiles plastered on their faces.

"What are those people doing?" Jenna whispered to me.

"I don't know," I replied through a frozen grin, "but I'm afraid a musical number might be involved."

"He took you there? Did he say why?"

"Uh, no. I'm guessing it has to do with embracing my destiny as future head of the Council and all. You know, Take Your Demon To Work Day."

"I don't drink."

"Oh my god, a straight-edge demon! I freaking love it!"

"So did The Eye come here tonight looking for me?"

"Actually, we came because we heard it was free corn dog night. Imagine our disappointment."

"So why were you with her?"

"She was my assignment."

"From the Eye?"

"No, from the Boy Scouts. That Witch Dating badge kept eluding me."

"Well, you must have at least three Total Douchebag badges by now, so that has to count for something."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

I couldn't stop shaking my head. Who would ever guess that garlic plus ganja equaled ghosts-be-gone?

"While I'm young..." Vlad drew out.

"You haven't been young since the fourteen hundreds, a few more minutes aren't going to make any difference," I muttered.

"Less bitching...more learning," Vlad grated. Then he closed his eyes, as if dismissing me. "I know, I'm delicious. Nummy, nummy," he muttered to the Remnants feasting on him.

message 167: by Leea (new)

Leea Vlad needs his own book!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I think he's getting one? At least someone was telling me they had heard something about it, which means I know Jack.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning

He looked as if he stepped straight off the cover of one of those romance novels she ordered from Amazon.com so she didn't have to be embarrassed by some supercilious male clerk in the bookstore.

message 170: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 13, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I might have posted this one already, but I don't remember and I'm multi-page browsing atm so I'm too lazy to check.

The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

"There is no fifth book of Manannan," Chloe said matter of factly. "There are only three. Everyone knows that."
Dageus gave her a cool smirk. "Ah, the nefarious everyone. I've long wondered who comprises that group."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3) by Karen Marie Moning

"He ran a hand over his face and shook his head. "Lass, I have never lied to you. I adore you and there have never been any other women from the future here. And these"- he flung a tampon in the air- "cleaning swabs, I cannot fathom why they upset you so greatly, but I assure you I have never let the maids use them."

Lisa's brow furrowed. No man could be so stupid. "Cleaning Swabs?"

He snatched up a gun and jerked the barrel in her direction, and an unwrapped tampon shot out. It was coated with black from the slow corrosion of the steel. She eyed it for a moment, bent, and plucked it from the floor. "You clean your guns with these?"

He lowered the gun. "Is that not the purpose for which they were designed? I vow I could not conceive of another."

Didn't you read the box?"

There were too many words I didn't understand!"

message 172: by Leea (new)

Leea I remember reading this LOL!!! KMM does have a way with humor.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Argggh I just found one that I want to post, but I'm going to wait until after you read Blood Promise, Leea because I can't spoil it for you. I saw it on a friend's profile and got all teary eyed reading it again.

message 174: by Leea (new)

Leea Oh it's okay... I can alway not read the post!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) That's okay. I just copied it into one of my documents that holds random notes.

I found a random quote in there by Cassandra Clare that made me laugh. It's not from one of her books, but I just like her sense of humor anyway. This was a response to a Q&A that I attended of hers online.

Because if he was just a sucky jerk all the time it wouldn't be a love triangle. It would be the story of Jem and Tessa and their annoying friend, Will, who would ultimately die in a tragic roof accident. Those bits and glimpses of the real Will - who loves to read, and hates to hurt people - are what keep him human in the reader's mind.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Oh Dani...silly girl.

dude-isn't semen about the most disgusting thing you ever seen? Like, eew, who wants some dude to squirt snot in their mouth?

message 177: by Leea (new)

Leea I Love Dani... i was a lot like her growing up ;)

message 178: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
me too Leea~ Very similar.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare

"You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will."

"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't."

"Will: "Well, she's not responding to my advances," he observed more brightly than he felt, "so she must be dead."

Jem: "Or she's a woman of good taste and sense."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) by Richelle Mead

"A what?"
"A tortie. A tortiseshell cat." I waited, but his expression was still blank. "It's like a calico, but without any white. How can you be milennia old and not know that?"
"Because I don't subscribe to Cat Fancy magazine."

message 181: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 14, 2011 12:04AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Succubus Shadows (Georgina Kincaid, #5) by Richelle Mead

I guess this conversation would be bound to come up when your roommate is a succubus...

He crossed his arms and stared down on the floor. "But maybe the next time you're looking for a distraction, we could rent a movie and microwave some popcorn instead of fucking the neighbors."

"You have horrible taste in movies," I mumbled.

"He's getting married."

"That means nothing. If it did, guys wouldn't catch chlamydia at their bachelor parties."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead

The girl is trying to exorcise a spirit out of a possessed shoe...

"Come out, come out, whoever you are."

There was a moment's silence, then a high-pitched male voice snapped, "Go away, bitch."

Great. A shoe with attitude.

message 183: by Leea (new)

Leea Stacia you always have the best quotes :) Thanks for sharing.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) At least I've run through most of my saved quotes by now, so I won't be spamming as much anymore.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Apparently you must be able to tell I'm a huge fan of Richelle Mead. I think the majority of my quotes have come from series by her.

message 186: by Leea (new)

Leea I can't wait to read more of her books. So are you bookmarking quotes while reading on your nook?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I do because it's so easy to do. Once you're done with the book, you can go right to your bookmarks, get the quote, then delete the bookmark. I rarely bookmark quotes in paper versions because it's too much of a hassle to have to dogear or stick pieces of paper in the book.

message 188: by Leea (new)

Leea I never book mark because I only read paper books. I will get an eReader one of these days... Can't wait to share some quotes. Don't know why i'm dragging my feet, except i'm that person who buys an iphone and the next week the new one comes out and then I want the new one. Uhhh!! So i'm waiting for the next generation, I guess. LOL!

message 189: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 16, 2011 03:23PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I had debated back and forth between a Kindle 2 and Nook Classic back when I was purchasing my first ereader and decided on the Nook because at the time, the Kindles weren't being sold in stores to test drive, so I only got to try out the Nook. Right after I made my purchase, Target stores started selling K2's. I was so upset, but then the K3 came out a few months later so I ended up being happy because I would have been upset to have purchased one model and had the new one come out immediately after.

Considering that both the K3 and Nook color are fairly new, I doubt you'll have to worry about any upgrades coming out for at least a year minimum, maybe longer. Even with that, if you buy the upgraded version with the same company, your entire library will transfer to the new model, so you don't lose any books.

I ended up with both the Nook classic and color and love them both. People think they're such an investment, but I rarely buy books anymore because of all the cool features with library lending, friend lending, free books, gallies/arcs, etc. So really, when you look at it that way, spending a couple hundred bucks (or less if you get a non-backlit one) isn't that bad if you figure in the cost of books over a year.

message 190: by Leea (new)

Leea Yeah... I don't know why I can't make a decision about what ereader I want. I've looked at the Nook (that's the one i'm leaning towards) and i'm at Target every week so i've seen that one a lot :) They are such a great deal these days!! I love the idea of wanting a book and being about the just download it right there from anywhere ~ How cool is that!! I live in a small town and my library does not lend ebooks. Sacramento does, so i'm thinking of getting a library card when i'm there next. Thanks for the information again...:)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I apologize if my posts get repetitive. The problem with posting in several groups is that I forget what I've said in which groups, so I'm sure this is all repeat info.

message 192: by Leea (new)

Leea Oh, that's not what I meant... I keep asking you :) I value you opinion so that you for giving it.

message 193: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 19, 2011 12:05AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

St. Clair is drunk.

His face is buried between my thighs. Under favorable circumstances, this would be quite exciting. Considering he's minutes away from vomiting, it's less than attractive.

"I'm fine. My father's an ase, my mum is dying and - oh my god, I'm so pissed." St. Clair looked at me again. His eyes were glassy like black marbles. "Pissed. Pissed. Pissed."

"We know you're pissed at your dad," I said. "It's okay. You're right, he's a jerk."

"Pissed is British for drunk," Mer said.

"Oh," I said. "Well. You're definitely that, too."

message 194: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Great quotes!

message 195: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

--"I miss the Stella girls telling me what I am. That I’m sweet and placid and accomodating and loyal and non-threatening and good to have around. And Mia. I want her to say, “Frankie, you’re silly, you’re lazy, you’re talented, you’re passionate, you’re restrained, you’re blossoming, you’re contrary.”
I want to be an adjective again.
But I’m a noun.
A nothing. A nobody. A no one."

--"It's a weird smile, but it reaches his eyes and I bottle it. And I put it in my ammo pack that's kept right next to my soul and Justine's spirit and Siobham's hope and Tara's passions. Because if I'm going to wake up one morning and not be able to get out of bed, I'm going to need everything I've got to fight this disease that could be sleeping inside of me."

--"Have you ever seen The Last of the Mohicans?"
"I love it."
"Really?" I'm over the moon. We share a movie. Finally, we're on the same planet.
"Don't you love the part where he says, 'Stay alive. I will find you'?" I ask.
"I love that massacre scene," he says, like an excited little boy, "where they're walking down that path in the middle of nowhere and they're surrounded by the woods and you know the Indians are going to attack and it's so tense."
Things that make you go hmmm."

--"People with lost personalities will suffer a great deal more than those with lost virginities."

--"The depression belongs to all of us. I think of the family down the road whose mother was having a baby and they went around the neighborhood saying, "We're pregnant." I want to go around the neighborhood saying, "We're depressed." If my mum can't get out of bed in the morning, all of us feel the same. Her silence has become ours, and it's eating us alive."

--"It's Thursday afternoon, and we have sports. These are the choices for the girls: watching an invitational cricket game; studying in one of the classrooms; or watching the senior rugby league. As you can imagine, I'm torn."

message 196: by Leea (new)

Leea Nice ladies :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I still need to read Marchetta. Finnikin is one I've started and put down more than once now, but one of my GR reading friends has been pushing Jellicoe on me for a while. I need a letter J book for April, so that will probably be it.

Okay, now that you finished book 4 Leea, and said I could post quotes, I loved this scene :

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead

"Stop fighting me!" he said, trying to pull on the arm he held.

He was in a precarious position himself, straddling the rail as he tried to lean over far enough to get me and actually hold onto me.

“Let go of me!” I yelled back.

But he was too strong and managed to haul most of me over the rail, enough so that I wasn’t in total danger of falling again.

See, here’s the thing. In that moment before I let go, I really had been contemplating my death. I’d come to terms with it and accepted it. I also, however, had known Dimitri might do something exactly like this. He was just that fast and that good. That was why I was holding my stake in the hand that was dangling free.

I looked him in the eye. "I will always love you."

Then I plunged the stake into his chest.

It wasn’t as precise a blow as I would have liked, not with the skilled way he was dodging. I struggled to get the stake in deep enough to his heart, unsure if I could do it from this angle. Then, his struggles stopped. His eyes stared at me, stunned, and his lips parted, almost into a smile, albeit a grisly and pained one.

"That’s what I was supposed to say. . .” he gasped out.

Those were his last words."

message 198: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Jellicoe was my favorite so far. I've read all of hers and I love every one. She's a great author.

message 199: by Leea (new)

Leea Stacia, That was a great scene... so much build up to that point and then wham! I was not sure if Rose could do it or not. She just loves him so much.

message 200: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

--"...women are elephants and watch the way you say that in front of them because they'll think you're calling them fat and there's no coming back from that moment. But they hoard. They say they don't, but they do. We think that if something's not spoken about again, it goes away. It doesn't. Nothing goes away just like that..."

--"Ned?' he says, after a while. 'Oi, Ned?'
'What?'
'If someone says to you that the guy they're going out with doesn't have to prove how smart he is, what's you response?'
'That he is dumb.'
'And if he has a sixpack?'
'Dumb jock.'
'Not too intense.'
'Dumb jock with no personality.'
'And they see eye to eye?'
Ned pauses. 'With the spitfire from Dili?'
'Same,' Tom corrects.
Ned holds up a hand to where Tara would reach him in height.
'Dumb jock with no personality and short-man syndrome.'
'Thanks, Ned.'
'Anytime."

--"She's tired and leans her head on his shoulder, which is the resting place for all their heads, but when Justine and Siobhan and Francesca use his body so shamelessly he doesn't feel the need to turn his head and press his mouth against their hair."

--"She looks at Sam. 'Close your ears if you don't want to know what I suspect to be the sex of your child,' she says, and he blocks his ears.
'It's Sam's?' Jonesey asks, surprised, just as he gets a message.
'Where have you been, Jonesey?' Bernadette says. 'In La La Land?'
'Contrary to popular belief, I think it has no penis,' Georgie whispers to them while Lucia covers Sam's ears.
Jonesey looks up from his text messaging, shocked. 'Poor little guy."

-- "I thought you were getting all relgious on me with all your 'oh gods'"/
He lay back and she rested her head on his chest and then she looked up at him and he could feel her breath on his Adams Apple.
"Tell me if I'm doing it wrong," she had whispered and he felt her hand crawl down his boxers and he wanted to warn her, because she was not prepared for what was about to happen. And then she started talking.
"My mum and dad..."
"No, no, no, no, no," he had gasped. "You can't bring up your mum and dad while your hand is down there, Finke."
"They're going to The Entrance next weekend," she said. "Such an underestimated place. And I can't go because I've got exams. So there'll be noone else in the house. No one downstairs."
And her tongue came out and licked his throat.
And then he got all religious on her. Very quickly.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sins of Lord Easterbrook (other topics)
Desires of a Perfect Lady (other topics)
Surrender to Love (other topics)
A Duke of Her Own (other topics)
Soulless (other topics)
More...