Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Fun 'n Games > Quotes, and Passages.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 262) (262 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Mar 16, 2010 04:35PM) (new)

Shell Schroth (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
I just started The Sins of Lord Easterbrook (Rothwell #4) by Madeline Hunter... and the first thing I read, compelled me to add this thread...

'Silence. A dark, calm center absorbing chaos into it's stillness.
The peaceful rhythem of inhales and exhales.
A pulse. The fundamental beat of nature extending into infinity. Awareness of everything and nothing.
No thoughts. No dreams. No hungers. Pure exsistence.
Primeval knowing.
Floating in the centre now. Finally. Singular but also transcedent. Only the pulse in darkness. Alone, but unified with a larger rhythem, the...
A disturbance. A small, silent shout of caution and worry intruding into the perfect void"

Alycia I like that quote!

message 3: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Yah, I thought it was cool.

seton (coulditbeseton) Hunter usually has great openings and closings. She is great at a lot of aspects of romance writing actually, which is why she is in my Top 3 authors right now.

message 5: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

seton wrote: "Hunter usually has great openings and closings. She is great at a lot of aspects of romance writing actually, which is why she is in my Top 3 authors right now."

I do really enjoy her writing, thus far. What are the other that rank in your top 3?

message 6: by seton (last edited Mar 16, 2010 10:59PM) (new)

seton (coulditbeseton) EASTERBROOK is not even one of her better books.

Top 3 is Hunter, Sherry Thomas, and a tossup between Loretta Chase and Laura Kinsale.

message 7: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

seton wrote: "EASTERBROOK is not even one of her better books.

Top 3 is Hunter, Sherry Thomas, and a tossup between Loretta Chase and Laura Kinsale."

I know, I keep hearing this is not one of her best. Which means, I'm in for a treat with her others. Love it when I find a new author that I really enjoy. Many range from good, to mediocre, to horrible for me. Only a handful, that I get lost in their writing. Thx for the info.. I'm off to look them up. :)

message 8: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Apr 03, 2010 11:07PM) (new)

' I see no reason why we cannot be friends'
He nodded solemnly. 'Nor do I. After all, we will be spending a great deal of time together, and I would much prefer to spend that time with someone who considers me a friend rather than someone who detests the very ground I walk on'
Her eyes widened with surprise. 'I have never detested the ground beneath your feet.' A reluctant smile curved her lips. 'The ground is blameless'

from Desires of a Perfect Lady (Harrington Brothers, #2) by Victoria Alexander

message 9: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Loved this... from Surrender To Love by Rosemary Rogers

There's not much to flirting, really... It's like acting out a part in a play. And in a way it's fun- finding out how easy it is after all to manipulate men, and finding out as well that they are not the omnipotent beings they think they are.

Catherine Great line from A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6) by Eloisa James

Pg.259

She kept her voice light. "I thought men enjoyed lechery."
With one swift, savage movement he stood before her. "Enjoyment has little to do with the way I feel about you." His voice was low and dark. "I could-I could eat you, drink you. I want to lick you, suck you, own you."

It was a very powerful line at the time. Who they were, what they felt. Very apt.

message 11: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Good one Catherine.... I haven't read anything by Eloisa James. I'll have to give one of her books a try.

Catherine Most of her books are grouped into trilogies and series. I don't think I've ever seen a standalone book by her. FYI for you.

message 13: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Awesome. Thx for the info. I'll look her series up.

Kathy Anne (KathyAnne) I want to try Madeline Hunter one of these days,her books certainly sound good and Seton has her in her top 3 and that is pretty good.

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

"How ghastly for her, people actually thinking, with their brains, and right next door. Oh, the travesty of it all."

Not the most memorable quote but I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, so there we go.

message 16: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I have this book, I haven't read it yet though. It came highly recommended. Thx for the quote.

Tonya (_Tonya_) Shell wrote: "I have this book, I haven't read it yet though. It came highly recommended. Thx for the quote."

It starts out kind of slow but do keep reading because it does get better.

Kelly  | 142 comments Christy wrote: "Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

"How ghastly for her, people actually thinking, with their brains, and right next door. Oh, the travesty of it all."

Not the most memorable quote but I'm looking..."

How smart is she! LOVE it.

But was a tad disappointed in the cliffhanger in book 2. Loved what happened just don't want to wait!

Kelly  | 142 comments "All your life you're yellow. Then one day you brush up against something blue, the barest touch, and voila, the rest of your life you're green."

This is from April and Oliver.
April & Oliver by Tess Callahan

The book is as moving as the cover!

message 20: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Ah Kelly... That was a great quote.

Kelly  | 142 comments Nana was great!

message 22: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I agree, she was one of my fave's ... In fact, I dont think there was a character I didnt like, I even liked T.J., in a warped, sucker for punishment kinda way. All the characters were so well developed. I could totally see this coming to a theatre near you, soon.

Kelly  | 142 comments Shell wrote: "I agree, she was one of my fave's ... In fact, I dont think there was a character I didnt like, I even liked T.J., in a warped, sucker for punishment kinda way. All the characters were so well deve..."

I agree with the T.J. thing they were all likable except the dick head from the bar what the hell was his name? Sick bastard!

message 24: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Quincy! Yes! Hated him.

message 25: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Julia Quinn has many, many, witty, and memorable one liners, and dialogue. Too many to list here..

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 85 comments This was one of my favorite passages from It Happened One Autumn:
Marcus: “My dearest Lillian, if I had the gift of poetry, I would shower you with sonnets. But words have always been difficult for me when my feelings are strongest. And there is one word in particular that I can't bring myself to say to you...'goodbye.' I couldn't bear the sight of you walking away from me. If you won't marry me for the sake of your own honor, then do it for the sake of everyone who would have to tolerate me otherwise. Marry me because I need someone who will help me laugh at myself. Because someone has to teach me how to whistle. Marry me, Lillian...because I have the most irresistible fascination with your ears.”

I also loved these two lines from Lover Mine:
Xhex: ”No you've got it all wrong, John. You're not half the male you could be because of what was done to you. You're twice what anyone else is because you survived.”

John Matthew: “I would hold you up. I will ever hold you up and hold you dear, lover mine.”

message 27: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh thanks Julie, those are both great. I remember the one from Autumn. It's a gooder.

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 85 comments You're welcome.:-)

message 29: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

So.. I am reading The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly and have to say this book is awesome so far..

Here are a few quotes that stuck out for me...

There had to be a way to let go.. A way to die.
There had to be somehting inside a man that held body and soul together. Some handle or clasp or lock that could be turned or slid, releasing one from the other.
If only I can find it, Sid thought.
He was drowning in a sea of pain. Red Waters washed over him, dragging him under, tumbling him along in their currents.
He felt a hand upon him. Pulling him out of the sea. Fingers at his wrist. He heard a voice, a womans voice. It sounded distant. Concerned, she said 'Threat', 'Sepsis'.
"Release it", he whispered to her. "Release me. Please..."
"Shh..." And then the hand again, small and strong, pressed against his heart.

Her gray eyes sparked with passion as she spoke. Sid looked into them and for a second he glimpsed her soul. He saw what she was- fierce and brave. Difficult. Upright. Impatient. And Good. So good that she would sit covered in gore, shout at dangerous men, and keep a long lonely vigil-all to save the likes of him. He realized that she was a rare creature, as rare as a rose in winter.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "So.. I am reading The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly and have to say this book is awesome so far..

Here are a few quotes that stuck out for me...

There had to be a way to let go.. A way to die.
..."

By any chance is this Sid guy a brunette? If so, I could totally read it and envision Sid the Kid... get back to me on that.
Also, I can't find any of these books that you guys have been reading in Merritt. FML.

message 31: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Sid is a read head. And he's hot.

Kelly  | 142 comments Shell do you have to read book 1 first?

message 33: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I would say Yes.. Even though this one skims over the first story.. The Tea Rose gives you a greater insight on the characters.

message 34: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Too Bloody funny... another excerpt from The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly

Harriet affected the stern, sonorous voice of Dr. Anthony Brearly, their anatomy professer. "Vagina, a narrow conduit between the vulva and the cervix, composed largely of muscle, devoid of nerve tissue. Clitoris, an extraneous appendage, useless in the process of reproduction. A locus of mental instability in women, its removal is often recommended in the treatment of hysteria, psychosis, and persistant nymphomania..." She burst into laughter, then said, 'Extreneous to him, maybe. Couldn't bloody live without mine"

Pinda | 37 comments Shell wrote: "Too Bloody funny... another excerpt from The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly

Harriet affected the stern, sonorous voice of Dr. Anthony Brearly, their anatomy professer. "Vagina, a narrow conduit be..."

That's pretty good. I may have to read that book after all;)

message 36: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 26, 2010 02:46AM) (new)

Elizabeth (LChacha) "Would you like to cross another item off this list today?"

"I should like that very much. Which do you propose?"

"I think it's time to try riding astride".

"You can't mean..."

"Oh, but I do, indeed, mean, Empress."

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean

message 37: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lol... That was a gooder

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Woman gets romantic letter from her cultured Romanian vamp boyfriend - written in romantic prose and ends with :

You have slain the dragon

Until we meet again, I am your Lucien

Brother picks up letter and reads it to himself and says :

You have slain the dragon? What the hell does that mean? How big is this guy's dick anyway?

(in this quote, the word "tote" refers to a several thousand dollar purse that her boyfriend sent her)

It was a bite. There was no denying it.

"The inside of her upper thigh," Alaric said. "I should have checked there from the start."

"No wonder he sent you a tote," Jon said.

"I'm not evil," he ground out. "Well, not anymore."

"I believe the words 'anointer of all that is unholy' were used in reference to you," Meena said. "Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, that doesn't suggest anything good."

(group at restaurant is starting to get annoyed with a man at the next table talking loudly to his child on the phone while entertaining a mistress over lunch, so one of the group reaches over and takes the phone)

"Munchkin," Jon said into the cell phone. "Can you tell your mommy that your daddy can't talk now because he's having lunch with another woman? And that the other woman has really big boobies? Be sure to tell Mommy about the lady's boobies."

"Okay," said Munchkin excitedly back into the phone.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

"One woman looked like she had Buckwheat stuck in a leglock"

"Mark was about six-two with blond hair on his head, but no hair anywhere else. Not my favorite quality in a man, but I guess when you get down to 1 percent body fat, you're also required to wax yourself."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia

Link ran his hands over his hair nervously. "Dude, my mom's a Baptist. You think she's gonna let me stay in the house when she finds out I'm a Demon? She doesn't even like Methodists."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner

"It's locked," he muttered.
"Really, genius?" Minho said. "No wonder you were named after Isaac Newton - such an amazing ability to think."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1) by Sharon Ashwood

A wrench sailed through the air, smacking her on the shoulder. "Ow!" Holly looked around.
"Over there," Alessandro said.
There was a toolbox in the corner, and now the contents were floating above it, missiles in the house's arsenal. She had seen this before - tawdry poltergeist nonsense, but it could hurt.
A hammer sailed through the air at Alessandro. In a blur of motion he snatched it midflight and used it to smack one of the pseudopods wriggling toward him. He was clearly enjoying himself in a Conan the Barbarian sort of way.
Holly battled an airborne caulking gun with the side of her flashlight, staying low to avoid the rain of tools.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Mine Till Midnight (Hathaway Series #1) by Lisa Kleypas

"Say yes, Amelia, and save me from ever having to spend a night with another woman. I'll sleep indoors. I'll get a haircut. God help me, I think I'd even carry a pocketwatch if it pleased you.

"Any man," she muttered, "that would want to marry into the Hathaway family after this should be shut away in an institution."
"Marriage is an institutuion," he said reasonably, retrieving her gown from the floor.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments Forget You by Jennifer Echols
"i figured you were running on adrenaline this morning but you'd crash tonight. And I knew you'd come to the meet, because you're such a dork" ~doug

"i love it when you talk dirty."~zoey

Leea Keep 'em coming ladies... Love them :)

message 46: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

these are awesome~ whole heartidly agree with Leea~ Keep 'em coming.

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments I just have to add my favorite BDB quote from Lover Awakened

Zsadist: "I was dead until you found me, though I breathed. I was sightless, though I could see. And then you came...and I was awakened."

Leea *swoon* I love me some Z...

Leea I regarded him gently over my own bowl of stew. He was very large, solid, and beautifully formed. And if he was a bit battered by circumstance, that merely added to his charm.
"You're a very hard person to kill, I think," I said. "That's a great comfort to me."
He smiled, reluctant, but then reached out and lifted his glass in salute, touching it first to his own lips, then to mine.
"We'll drink to that, Sassenach, shall we?"

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon

Leea A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon This is my favorite book in the oulander series...

"Yes. Just now, I was actually trying to rank 'I love you. I like you, I worship you, I have to have my cock inside you,’ in terms of their relative sincerity."
"Did I say that?" he said, sounding slightly startled.
"Yes. Weren't you listening?"
"No," he admitted. "I meant every word of it, though." His hand cupped one buttock, weighing it appreciatively. "Still do, come to that." pg 109

"Oh, aye", he said, gathering me firmly against him with a sigh. "I will say the flesh requires a bit of supper and a wee rest before I think of doin' it again, but the spirit is always willing."

I could see a deep blue gleam of speculation at the back of his eyes as he looked at me. He extended one finger, and very delicately ran it down the side of my neck, the slope of my breast where it disappeared into my bodice, and over the thin cloth covering my nipple—which promptly popped up like a puffball mushroom in response to this attention.
"The sort that make me want to take ye straight into the forest, far enough that no one will hear when I lay ye on the ground, lift your skirts, and split ye like a ripe peach," he said softly. "Aye?"
I swallowed, audibly.

"Claire," he said, quite gently, "it was you. It’s always been you, and it always will be."

I LOVE Jamie Fraser...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sins of Lord Easterbrook (other topics)
Desires of a Perfect Lady (other topics)
Surrender to Love (other topics)
A Duke of Her Own (other topics)
Soulless (other topics)
More...