Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Recommendations please

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kez | 24 comments Hi all, I'm new here and new to this whole genre really. However, I'm a fast reader and in the last few months (having triggered it all with the Twilight series Edward is my husband) I have eaten through quite a few authors. These are the ones I have read so far:

Stephanie Myers (didn't like host though can't get into it)
Richelle Meade - enjoyed all 3 of her series the more adult ones the better
Charlene Harris - Sookie Stackhouse and Harper ?
Karen Chance - liked both lead characters
I'm reading the Evermore book right now
I've just started the Morganville Vamps series (bit kiddish so far but I like the characters so I will proceed)

What I want is more recommendations for authors. I like these ones, I'm more into the adult authors really, but your thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you x

Marissa | 3 comments Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld Series (aka Sisters of the Moon Series)are my all time favorite Paranormal Romance novels. Maggie Shayne's books are also some of my favorites, more specifically Demon's Kiss, Lover's Bite, and Angel's Pain (All part of the same series).

Crystal (OMalley) | 25 comments Gone by michael grant. willow. twilight series.

Liz I have a new paranormal (vampire) series coming out called The Dark Kiss Trilogy. The first book, My Love Eternal is available on Amazon right now.

Please check out my site for more info: www.lizstrange.com

I'd love to hear from you if you read them. Please let me know.

Best!

Liz Strange

Mhollie | 174 comments Here's a few series'...

Black Dagger Brotherhood - J.R. Ward
Dark Hunters - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Lords of the Underworld - Gena Showalter
Brotherhood of Blood - Kathryn Smith
Immortals after Dark - Kresley Cole
Nightwalkers - Jacquelyn Frank
Immortal Brotherhood - Lisa Hendrix
Demonica - Larissa Ione
Masters of Time - Alexandra Ivy
Guardians of Eternity - Brenda Joyce
Shadow Guard - Kim Lenox
Blood Sword Legacy - Karin Tabke
Tairen Soul - C. L. Wilson

Hope this helps...

Kez | 24 comments Ohhh good stuff, ta muchley, will get right on those ; 0 ) x

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 198 comments My favorite Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance series (in no particular order):
Nora Robert’s The Circle Trilogy
Patricia Briggs’s Mercedes Lackey series
Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter
Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock series
Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires series
Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series
Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series
Carole Nelson Douglas’s Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator series
Justin Gustainis’s Quincy Morris Supernatural Investigation series
C. E. Murphy’s The Negotiator Trilogy
Christine Warren’s The Others series
Yasmine Galenorn’s Sisters of the Moon/Otherworld series
Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series
Mercedes Lackey’s Diana Tregarde Investigation series

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Try Jeaniene Frost's books. I also really like Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires Series, and Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab's books.

Scarlet (extraordinarygirl86) | 81 comments If you liked the Twilight Saga then I recommend Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber. It has quite a few similarities to Twilight and the main character is pretty much a gothic version of Bella.

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith is also a good series.

Lesley22 | 2 comments Everyone tells me The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is amazing and it Adult not YA so check that one out.

Im going to as soon as i finish City of Bones.

Kasey | 70 comments I'm like you I seem to read through my books pretty quickly. Here are some of my favorites, hope it helps.

The Night Huntress Series- Jeaniene Frost
Fever Series- Karen Marie Moning
Merry Gentry and Anita Blake- Laurell K. Hamilton
Shifter Series-Rachel Vincent
Black Dagger Brotherhood-J.R. Ward
Midnight Breed Series- Lara Adrian
Demonica Series-Larissa Ione

message 12: by Shannon (last edited Mar 16, 2010 04:10AM) (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (SavhageTemptress) | 330 comments The series that I would recommend that haven't been listed are:

Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunters series by Nalini Singh

Nightwalkers, Shadowdwellers, and Gatherers series by Jacquelyn Frank

Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Kez wrote: "Hi all, I'm new here and new to this whole genre really. However, I'm a fast reader and in the last few months (having triggered it all with the Twilight series Edward is my husband) I have eaten ..."

You have to read the Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost. Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost It's so good! Bones is awesome!

message 14: by Shannon (last edited Mar 16, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments I'm a big reader of PNR and UF. Always on the hunt for more great books. Here's a list of ones that I enjoyed. Happy reading!

FAVS...READ MULTIPLE TIMES:
Mercy Thompson series and Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs (Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl,which is a prequel to Cry Wolf)
Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Tairen Soul series by CL Wilson
Cassandra Palmer series and Dorina Basarab Dhampir series by Karen Chance (Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl, which should be read between Midnight's Daughter and Death's Mistress)
Sookie Sackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole
Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward
Guild Hunters series by Nalini Singh

KEEPERS (GREAT ENOUGH TO RE-READ):
Dark Hunter series by Sherilyn Kenyon
Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill
Demonica books by Larissa Ione
Little Goddess series by Amy Lane
Fever and Highlander books by Karen Moning
Anita Blake series by Laurell Hamilton (books 1-9 very good, 10+ not as good)
Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
Guardians of Eternity series by Alexandra Ivy
World of Lupi series by Eileen Wilks
Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
A Taste of Crimson by Marjorie Liu
Pride Stories by Shelly Laurenston (funny)

ENTERTAINING (ENJOYED THESE BUT PROBABLY NOT ENOUGH TO RE-READ):
Psy-Changelings series by Nalini Singh
Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian
Vegas vampire series by Erin McCarthy (funny)
Dragon Kin series by G.A. Aiken
Argeneau vampire series by Lynsay Sands (funny)
Nightwalkers books by Jacquelyn Frank
Jane True series by Nicole Peeler
Atlantis and Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter
Magic series by Jennifer Lyon
Circle series by Linda Robertson
Love at Stake books by Kerrelyn Sparks (funny)
Meredith Gentry series by Laurell Hamilton
Soulfinders series by Maria Snyder
Young brothers (vamp & werewolf) series by Kathy Love
Texas vampires series by Diane Whiteside
Blood books by Tanya Huff
Others series by Christine Warren
Moon Chasers series by Sharie Kohler
Brotherhood of the Blood by Kathryn Smith
Dark Ones series and Aisley Gray series by Katie MacAlister (funny)
Vampire series by Rosemary Laurey
Sentinel Wars by Shannon Butcher
Guardians series by Meljean Brook
Gods of the Night by Nina Bangs
Mageverse series by Angela Knight
Primal Instinct series by Rhyannon Byrd
My Forbidden Desire by Carolyn Jewel
Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong
Carpathian series by Christine Feehan
Alpha Turned by KB Alan
Wicked Enchantment by Anya Bast
Garnet Lacey series by Tate Hallaway (funny)
Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep
Midnight series by Cynthia Eden

Sarah_Ohhh HOLY h311!!! Scook, damn girl! you read a lot your my new heroin
i dont even know what half the books are about. but still dang!!!

Harper (harperbell) | 219 comments I'll also add my recommendation for the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, starting with Dark Lover, Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series (starts with The Warlord Wants Forever, a novella that you can read here for free, and continues in A Hunger Like No Other, the first full-length novel in the series), and C.L. Wilson's Tairen Soul series, beginning with Lord of the Fading Lands. Also, there's a new series called "The Parasol Protectorate" by Gail Carriger. The first book is Soulless, which I loved, and the second one, Changeless, comes out soon.

Patty (Patty1) | 1 comments I loved the Immortals and also you should read Lili St. Crow...and Shiver and Linger by Maggie Steifvater...amazing wondrous books...

Jess (wjrockafellow) I just finished The Hunters Series by Shiloh Walker. They were the first paranormal romance I read. I will warn you that the first few books start a little on the erotica side, but later that isn't so prominate in the plots.

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 198 comments SCook wrote: "I'm a big reader of PNR and UF. Always on the hunt for more great books. Here's a list of ones that I enjoyed. Happy reading!..."

WOW! And I thought I read a lot of UF! That's a very impressive list you have there, I'm going to have to check some of those out.

Arrian Duazo (iaianduazo) | 5 comments I have just finish reading the book series of vampire diaries and I'm wondering what to read next. What's best to read?

Arrian Duazo (iaianduazo) | 5 comments Do you think vampire the requiem is good?

Heather | 6 comments This past week I finished The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (book 2 of the hunger games) They are more sci fi than paranormal and they are also YA but man are they good. Lots of action mixed with a love triangle and on top of that fights to the death on a reality game show. I think Catching fire was voted book of the year by good reads and I have to agree it was good. I just finished the Mortal instruments books. City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass. They are also YA but a bit more edgy. I absolutely loved this series. Clary and Jace give Edward and Bella a serious run for their money as far as romance goes. I am now looking for an adult novel to start. Any suggestions? I have read Anita Blake up until it just got bad. And the Sookie Stackhouse novels (Eric yum yum)

Kasey | 70 comments I would recommend the Night Huntress Series. Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

or the Shifter Series Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent

I also love the Fever Series and would recommend reading it, but the last book doesn't come out until December and she loves cliff hangers, so .... Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

My list could get really long so I will just leave it at three that I could hardly put down.

message 24: by Britski (last edited Mar 17, 2010 09:37AM) (new)

Britski | 39 comments A recent series that I really got into was Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack #1) by Shelly Laurenston, which is the start of Shelly Laurenston's Magnus Pack series. I also loved her Pride series, which starts with The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston. These are definitely more adult books!

Elizabeth (TrishWilsonElizabethBlack) | 42 comments If you like ghost stories you'll like my paranormal romances.

An Unexpected Guest - Paperback

An Unexpected Guest - Kindle

The Haunting Of The Sandpiper Inn

Arrian Duazo (iaianduazo) | 5 comments I have started reading halfway to the grave and I find it real interesting and yeah, funny. I love it.

Britski | 39 comments I am not exactly sure where to post this, but I was hoping some of you might have reading suggestions. One of the first series I read that got me hooked to PNR was the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan. It is a YA series and I was hoping there was something similar in an adult series. Any suggestions?

I love the whole love triangle, wiccan, turmoil, suspense of the series.

Thank you, Brit

Courtney (Mrs_HF) | 173 comments Mollie wrote: "Here's a few series'...

Black Dagger Brotherhood - J.R. Ward
Dark Hunters - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Lords of the Underworld - Gena Showalter
Brotherhood of Blo..."

Mollie................that is the most epic list of all time. Just so you know. That's like months of my life put into list form. ;)

Escape | 44 comments Here's a few of my favorites.
Jeaniene Frost's The Night Huntress Series is top on my list.
Colleen Gleason's The Gardella Vampire Chronicles - I just devoured this month.
Karen Marie Moning's The Fever Series - this woman can't write fast enough for me.
Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian Series.
Ayna Bast's witch series starting w/ Witch Fire is definitely adult. I also enjoyed from her The Chosen Sin.
Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake - I'm up to the 11th book and enjoying the series. Dark but I'm a Creature Feature girl from long ago.
J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood - so looking forward to the new book due out in April
Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed Series is good too.
Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan Series, I love the characters.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Evermoregreat fast read and the ending really took me by surprise but then it was like Oh now I get it

Tantalizedifferent take on the whole shifter thing ( which I am new to ) the ending was disturbing, and I was glad for not a neat tie it up in a pretty bow ending

Blue Bloodsat first felt like gossip girl meets twilight, but when I got past that, pretty orginail take on the whole vampire thing