Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > anything similar to Patricia Briggs?

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leilah (Call_Me_Lee) | 3 comments just finished the books (barring the one thats coming out soon) and what (need) to find somthing similar. any ideas????

new_user | 1383 comments Hmmm. Her books are really unique. It's hard to find a comparable series. Have you tried her Alpha and Omega series?

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2398 comments Mod
um, if you like UF try the Blood Price series and the Smoke and Shadows both series by Tanya Huff. Read the Blood Price series first, as the second series is an out-growth of that. She also has a more amusing series Summon the Keeper.

message 4: by Joseph (last edited Mar 15, 2010 05:17PM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 199 comments Patrica Briggs's series really is unique. There are many other great UF/PNR authors I could suggest, but many of them are they are kind of similar to each other. Some though that are not like Briggs but are unique in their own ways are:
Seanan McGuire's October Daye series (first book is Rosemary and Rue)
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series (first book is Skinwalker)
Carole Nelson Douglas's Delilah Street series (first book is Dancing With Werewolves)
C.E. Murphy's The Walker Paper series (first book is Urban Shaman)
Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampire series (first book is Some Girls Bite)

new_user | 1383 comments I second Chloe Neill. :D

Carolyn F. | 547 comments I really like Eileen Wilks's books. The main characters are Lily and Rule.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments How about Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series - my favorite, just ahead of the Mercy Thompson series?

Leilah (Call_Me_Lee) | 3 comments Wow! Thanks guys!! Thats unbeleiveably helpful! i'll strat looking into all of them! :-D thanks again!

message 9: by Shannon (last edited Mar 16, 2010 01:00PM) (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments I also love Patrcia Briggs' Mercy and A&O series. Agree they are very original so it's hard to find ones like it, but here are some somewhat similar in style...

Another vote for Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill. Those are both TERRIFIC series! Also another vote for Eileen Wilks World of Lupi series. That one is a good series...kind of a cross between a paranormal romance and crime/mystery.

Check out Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer series and related Dorina Basarab Dhampir series. Both series are very good but I liked the Dorina series a bit better. It's good to read the Cassie series first for world building and background. Excellent world building, lots of action, great characters, good mystery/suspense and a little romance.
Touch the Dark

Also try the Sookie Sackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. It's more quirky and fun, but it also has lots of different types of characters like Briggs books for example vampires, shapeshifters, the Fae, and more. A great mix of mystery, suspense, action and some romance. Loved the characters.
Dead Until Dark

If you also like paranormal romance, check out the Little Goddess series by Indy author Amy Lane. The reason it reminds me to Briggs is because of the types of characters, eg, Fae, vampires, shapeshifters and magic users; the excellent character development; and the way it follows the growth of a leading female character throughout the series. Also has a nice mix of mystery, suspense, drama and romance. Heartwrenching at times, it's one of the better series I've read recently by a new author. There are erotic scenes in the book (MMF), just a warning in case that's not your thing. If the print books are too pricey, I found ebook pdfs at iuniverse.com for only $6 each.
Vulnerable

I read the first book of Seanan McGuire's October Daye series and while the world building and mystery was excellent, I found the book depressing. I would have liked something good to happen to her to offset all the bad stuff. The girl just couldn't catch a break! And there wasn't any romance, which I like at least a little in my UFs.

I also read Skinwalker, the first book Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. It's a solid urban fantasy with lots of action, but I generally like more romance in the story (at least as much as what's in Mercy).

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments Ooh, I'll second the recommendation for Amy Lane. I adore her Little Goddess series!

new_user | 1383 comments I definitely second Kate Daniels.