Young Adult Book Club discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
The Hunger Game Discussions > Books similar to THE HUNGER GAMES?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 122) (122 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Amy (last edited Mar 14, 2010 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (londoninlights) What are other books similar to THE HUNGER GAMES that could (somewhat) satisfy my need until MOCKINGJAY comes out? I know of these..

Gone & Hunger by Michael Grant
The Maze Runner by James Dashner

But does anyone have any other suggestions? :D
I hear that of one that's really good and sort of like THE HUNGER GAMES that's coming out on March 30 that I'm pretty excited for.
It's called BIRTHMARKED by Caragh O'Brien! Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Jillian -always aspiring- (jillian-always-aspiring) | 130 comments Battle Royale by Koushun Takami -- you'll be able to find it in the general sci-fi/fantasy section. :) (Sure, it has Japanese characters, but the story is very much like THG -- though much harsher. If you don't care for profanity or graphic images, then this book isn't for you; however, I don't care for those things either yet I STILL enjoyed this book immensely.)

As for other recommendations . . . I'll have to think about it before I come up with anything else. :)

Amy (londoninlights) Ooh yes I've read BATTLE ROYALE already as well. I LOVED it! I hope Koushun Takami writes another book... but aside from that yes Battle Royale had some brutal content but I still loved reading it- total pageturner like The Hunger Games. And the basic concept was similar as well. But if you think of any other recs please let me know! :D

Jillian -always aspiring- (jillian-always-aspiring) | 130 comments Okay, good. :) I thought you might have read it, but I wanted to make sure by listing it just in case.

(Did you know it's been over ten years since BR came out, and Takami STILL hasn't written another novel? I'm hoping he'll come out with another soon, though, since BR was brilliant.)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) You know, they're not really like The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/hopefully Mockingjay, but also capturing my attention almost as strongly is another trilogy: Life As We Knew It, The Dead and the Gone, and not much wait because the third one is coming out 4/1: This World We Live In.

Amy (londoninlights) @ Ryan: Thanks for the Tomorrow Series suggestion! I will definitely look into that.

@ Lisa: I loved LIFE AS WE KNEW IT! It was beautiful and just as impacting as The Hunger Games was, just in a more subtle fashion. I didn't like THE DEAD AND THE GONE as much but it was still great. And I am really excited for THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN :)

@ Jillian: Yeup! I sure hope he writes another, although we have no way of knowing until he actually publishes it, since he lives all the way in Japan. But I read it the author's note section of BATTLE ROYALE that he was definitely writing another one! Guess he's just one of those sloooow writers :)

Emilee (emilove) Amy, I just finished Birthmarked and it definitely sated my Mockingjay-hunger. It is absolutely fabulous! Though I must warn you, you'll want the next one immediately!

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2639 comments Mod
I hate waiting for Mockingjay.....so I can't wait to check out some of the books suggested!

message 9: by Kelly F. (last edited Mar 31, 2010 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly F. Stephan King has a book called The Long Walk, It has the same idea as The Hunger Games in that people have to join a battle to stay alive. The theme in this one, however, is to walk as long as you can and the last one alive/still walking wins. My boyfriend suggested this when I was reading Hunger Games, so I haven't read it yet, but it sounded interesting!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Amy already mentioned The Maze Runner –– I enjoyed that one :)

And, well, there's always Lord of the Flies, although I'm not a big fan of it. lol.

Alicia (Lav) | 18 comments The Uglies trilogy. I guess they aren't really anything like the hunger games, except that they are dystopic fiction, but I really liked them.

Kayzee | 180 comments lol they were different i wont ever read them again tho i couldnt stand the air head talk... I want to get my hands on the extras though

Betsy (betsypie) | 30 comments Another Stephen King book to recommend would be The Running Man. You may find it under Richard Bachman, one of King's pseudonyms. It's the same kind of dystopian future with completely out of control tv.

Emily (potsandpans) Try Sharp North and Blown away by Patrick Cave. Although Sharp North isn't very much like Hunger Games at first, the sequel Blown Away has a TV Show in it almost exactly like the Hunger Games. Oh, and thanks for starting this! I've been in total Reader's Block mode trying to figure out what to read while I wait for Lies (3rd in the Gone series) and Mockingjay to come out!

message 15: by Jenn (last edited Sep 10, 2010 12:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Soehnlin So yeah, Mockingjay is already out, and I know we've discussed this book in the past, but I still wanted to add my two cents. Unwind by Neil Shusterman is another dystopia novel that I devoured because I had to know what was going to happen next.

For those that haven't read it, here's a brief summary taken from Amazon.com: "Between the ages of 13 and 17, parents or guardians can choose to have their children unwound, which involves having every part of their bodies harvested to be "donated" to another person so, technically, they don't really die. The complex and compelling plot follows three teens whose stories intertwine when they escape while on their way to the harvest camps."

Savannah Andrea Smith | 5 comments I just read The Line by Teri Hall and it was really good (and reminded me of Hunger Games) plus, it's a series I believe :)

Noemi Mendez (divinemsn) | 2 comments What a great thread. I've added a bunch of books to my ever growing list of stuff I want to read. Now if I only had the time :)

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 15 comments Savannah Alice wrote: "I just read The Line by Teri Hall and it was really good (and reminded me of Hunger Games) plus, it's a series I believe :)"

I really liked that book. It is the 1st in a series. The 2nd one is supposed by out in the spring sometime.

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Brenda wrote: "I made a brochure for my students for Hunger Games (If you like: then you will like...)

Here are the titles I included
Ender's Game
Graceling
Sharp North..."

What a great list! I've read a few of these: Ender's Game, Little Brother, The Maze Runner, Graceling, 1984...

Makes me want to read some more of these. Thanks!

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments I just finished reading Ship Breaker and I think it will appeal to many HG fans. I enjoyed it a lot, a very cool dystopia.

message 22: by Mahina (last edited Nov 11, 2010 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahina The Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Matched by Ally Condie
The Forest of Hands & Teeth and The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

I also loved Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien but like someone mentioned you will want the second one right away.

I haven't read Shipbreaker yet but a lot of my Seattle Public Library colleagues have been saying very good things about it.

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) | 64 comments Tatiana wrote: "I just finished reading Ship Breaker and I think it will appeal to many HG fans. I enjoyed it a lot, a very cool dystopia."

It does sound really good, thanks for swapping it! :)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments You are welcome. I'll drop it in mail today. Hope you like it:)

Latasha (LatashaMD) | 15 comments i am who i am who i was when (Lavendarlol) wrote: "The Uglies trilogy. I guess they aren't really anything like the hunger games, except that they are dystopic fiction, but I really liked them."

Lavendar: I thought The Hunger Games reminded me a lot of The Uglies as well. Mainly because of the "post-apocalyptic" feel... What the world is like after we get blown to smithereens and such. I prefer The Hunger Games over The Uglies, but I think there are a lot of comparisons, and they're both delightful series!!

message 26: by Rollie (last edited Dec 10, 2010 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rollie (zheick) | 9 comments Uh-uh... Are there really books that could match up the THE HUNGER GAMES SERIES?

Latasha (LatashaMD) | 15 comments I think this forum proves that there are :) I think there are a lot of similarities in these other books

★ Jess The short story: The Running Man by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) seems very familiar to the Hunger Games.
Its about a television show, where contestants must survive 30 days with out being killed. If this can be done, they win a billion dollar jackpot.

Latasha (LatashaMD) | 15 comments Really?? I love King, I will have to look into that. Has anyone read "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? It's not really similar to the Hunger Games except the aspect of life after apocalypse, but it's really good!

message 30: by Sam (last edited Dec 10, 2010 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (EarthIsMyElement) Another one that I found REALLY interesting, as in I was literally at the edge of my seat by the end, was Charlie Higson's The Enemy . It was so intense, and the characters felt so real, that I couldn't put it down. I didn't do homework the night I read it, and I went to bed at four just so I could finish it. One big difference that I felt between The Enemy and The Hunger Games was that the latter actually felt more controlled, with Katniss being in a game supervised by adults. The chaos of The Enemy really made me feel for the characters, and every time I go back and reread a passage, I get the same feeling. Amazing book.

message 31: by Brenda (last edited Dec 13, 2010 10:11AM) (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments Booklover23: The Running Man by Stephen King was exactly the book I kept thinking of as I read Hunger Games for the first time.....very similar premise between the two.

The book that was suppose to be like Hunger Games is Matched. I had high hopes for the book (and already have it on order) but the reviews coming in from the critical review publications don't seem to be great...more like a B instead of an A attempt.Matched

Jessica (JessfromTex) | 10 comments Brenda wrote: "I made a brochure for my students for Hunger Games (If you like: then you will like...)

Here are the titles I included
Ender's Game
Graceling
Sharp North..."

I read Graceling and The Maze Runner (and also the sequels to these books, Fire and The Scorch Trails) I LOVED them and would recommend them to anyone.

Lesley Chao (PJOTwilightTHG) | 7 comments I am Number Four
Ender's Game
HIVE Academy
Maze Runner

hope this helped:)
i LOVE humger games;]

message 34: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2639 comments Mod
Looking forward to reading I am Number Four!

Lindsay (happilyever-after87) | 8 comments I just finished Hunger Games Trilogy and am dying to read another book or series similar. I loved the Goose Girl books by Shannon Hale. It's not very similar to Hunger Games but I like the fantasy w love story interwoven. So any ideas? No vampires or weird ghost stuff, please.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments People like Divergent a lot. Maybe you should try that, Lindsay.

Lindsay (happilyever-after87) | 8 comments Thanks! Sounds really really good! Summary said the romance between her and the boy is frustrating. I like frustrating, as long as it turns out good in the end....does anyone agree that Mockingjay ended a little disappointingly? (WARNING! SPOILERS! IF U HAVEN'T FINISHED!) I mean I wanted her and Peeta together for sure, but I thought Collins did a bad job w the ending. I wanted it to go into more detail abt how they got back together. Instead it was like, "eventually we got back together and had babies....THE END!" I was a lil bummed. Anyone agree?

J (aquacoolchick) Lindsay wrote: "Thanks! Sounds really really good! Summary said the romance between her and the boy is frustrating. I like frustrating, as long as it turns out good in the end....does anyone agree that Mockingjay ..."

I fully agree! I HATED the ending of Mockingbird. I finished it earlier today and it put a major dampener on my day. It was so BLEAK. It was like she never gets better and just spends the rest of her days in depression. Peeta and the kids are just a way to move the days forward. For an ending I've been looking forward to since I read the first book, it was extremely dissatisfying.

Lindsay (happilyever-after87) | 8 comments yes, it was so disappointing and even after days after finishing it, I still can't stop thinking abt it. I mean they had such a good romance going and then the ending was a blur of really important stuff. It felt like Collins got tired of writing and decided to end it in a way that she didn't have to go into detail about the important stuff. It never went into detail abt why she killed Coin. I mean it was implied but I wanted more! So now I'm starting a new series and hopefully I'll get the ending I want.

Shannon (sklovell) | 1 comments Oh yes Lindsay, the end of Mockingjay was definitely disappointing! That's almost an understatement for me - it just felt like Collins was under deadline pressure or something. As for Divergent - I LOVED the love story in that book. It's subtle and not the main storyline but still always present. I didn't find it frustrating at all! It's a slow build, but it was a "realistic" build and so very satisfying. *loves Four*

Lindsay (happilyever-after87) | 8 comments Shannon, I'm starting Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Seems promising although I won't know the ending for a while seeing as how the next book in the series isn't scheduled for release until 2012 *sigh* oh well...

Sarah I absolutely LOVED Divergent. I just read it in less than 24 hours on vacation and almost cried when I found out that the second one wasn't out yet. It's an action packed dystopian novel with some romance in it--honestly I might have liked it better than the Hunger Games because the characters were easier to relate to.

Anyone have strong feelings towards any other YA dystopian books? Like you just couldn't stop reading it and it stayed with you? I'm starting Matched now, but I feel I've read mixed things about it...

Candice (thecrj) | 13 comments I completely agree with Divergent by Veronica Roth. It is an awesome dystopian novel. No fight to the death, last man standing thing, but there was definitely rebellion/fighting the system. I devoured this book as soon as I got it in the mail.

Other YA dystopian books that I've read recently are Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano and Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) by Lauren DeStefano (haven't read, will be out in Feb 2012). Wither was really good, Rhine (MC) was very interesting. You wanted her to succeed in her fight.

Also, XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr and it's sequal, Truth (XVI, #2) by Julia Karr (out in Jan 2012). While I wasn't as excited about XVI, it still has a really solid story-line that was setup for the sequel.

Jenny (narcisse) | 76 comments Blood Red Road (Dustlands, #1) by Moira Young is really good.

Emma Divergent is absolutely amazing!!!!!!reread it about 3 times already and i got it last week... really hard to decide if i like this better then THG to be honest. So i recommend it completely.

Blood red road was also pretty fantastic... but not as good as THG or Divergent.

The Uglies Trilogy are good.

Maze Runner was alright.

The house of the scorpian was really good.

Books that are supposed to be really good dystopian books and that im about to read is :

1984- george Orwell

Girl in the arena - Lise Haines

The forest of hand and Teeth- Carrie Ryan

The road - Corna Mccarthy

Feed- M.T Anderson

Unwind- Neal Shusterman

Gone series.

Hope this helps :)

Emma Also Im about to read the Handmaids Tale

Meghan | 4 comments Ohh my God...I just started The Hunger Games today and am already halfway through it and have been looking for books like it and I randomly found this. You guys just saved my life!!!

Lindsay (happilyever-after87) | 8 comments Meghan, I wanna know what u think when u finish Hunger Games series. Post a comment back on here when u do.

Lindsay (happilyever-after87) | 8 comments Also Meghan, when u get done and are looking for more good books, I recommend the Goose Girl, Enna Burning and River Secrets. It's a series. By Shannon Hale.Enna Burning was my favorite! Loved it! It's not dystopian but its very good and has a great love story intertwined.

Meg (mab413) | 1 comments Have any of you ever read Garth Nix's Shade's Children or his Abhorsen series? Both I thought were good and not exactly like HG still to me has a similar feel to them

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hunger (other topics)
Birthmarked (other topics)
Gone (other topics)
The Maze Runner (other topics)
Battle Royale (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)