Turkish Books in GoodReads.com discussion

All-time Favourite Turkish Classics

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Zee (shimizusan) | 9 comments Many people don't appreciate the richness of classic Turkish literature outside of Turkey, and I was wondering which novels have made an impact with readers here.

I for one really enjoy Resat Nuri Guntekin's works. His language is so dynamic, it's hard to compare him to any other author, Turkish or otherwise. Halide Edib Adivar is also another writer I greatly admire. I've only just begun with her works.

Pinar Celebi (pinuccia) | 8 comments I do like Fakir Baykurt and I have two books of him in hand right know. I'll try to add them this weekend and will let you know.

Zee (shimizusan) | 9 comments Hi Pinar, I've never heard of Baykurt before. What book of his do you recommend as a starting point?

Yes, do let me know. I'll have to check if he has a profile on goodreads. In fact, it would be excellent if we could have a list of turkish authors or some kind of turkish booklist for this forum for people to vote.

Pinar Celebi (pinuccia) | 8 comments I'm actually reading Onuncu Köy now and manually added it yesterday as it wasn't available on goodreads.

I also have "Kara Ahmet Destani" by him in my library at home. I know some of his books are translated into other languages but I don't know the details.

Gökberk (g0kb3rk) | 5 comments I would recommend the Dagin Ote Yuzu (Other Side of the Mountain) trilogy of Yasar Kemal Yaşar Kemal, the author of legendary "Ince Memed" Memed, My Hawk. The books of the trilogy are Ortadirek The Wind from the Plain, Yer Demir Gök Bakir Iron Earth, Copper Sky and Ölmezotu Eternal Grass. They were translated by his ex-wife Thilda Yasar and in the foreign press these translations were highly appraised.

message 6: by Zee (last edited Mar 23, 2010 01:06PM) (new)

Zee (shimizusan) | 9 comments I have a translated copy of one of Yasar's books (by his wife) and found it too awful to read. It has put me off his work completely. I was mortified that Yasar's careful portrayal of Turkish Anatolian village life had been caricatured and almost mocked by a word-by-word translation that definitely subtracted from the essence of the book.

The art of translation should be undertaken by either a native speaker who is thoroughly versed in BOTH languages, or someone who has lived many years in that country and is able to differentiate, appreciate and reflect the linguistic subtleties of those people.

The aesthetic beauty of Yasar's language which should have been preserved as much as possible was, unfortunately, lost.

Busra (Katrei_Alem) | 1 comments I love tha language and style of Peyami Safa. He is talented in analysing human psycology. I believe that everyone will feel like reading his very self through the lines. The novel "Biz İnsanlar" isn't available on goodreads but there are plenty others that you can rate.

okyrhoe | 1 comments Hi everyone, I just joined the group :-))

I don't read in Turkish (just a few words, enough to understand shop signs & menus when visiting Turkey!) so I make do with reading books that have been translated to Greek or to English.

Emre Poyraz | 15 comments @okyrhoe

hello,

do you like the classical novels or the modern best sellers?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Onuncu Köy (other topics)
The Undying Grass (other topics)
Memed, My Hawk (other topics)
Iron Earth, Copper Sky (other topics)
Wind from the Plain (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Yaşar Kemal (other topics)