Paranormal Addicts & Newbies discussion

Karen Marie Moning
This topic is about Karen Marie Moning
M to R Series Discussions > Fever series - Karen Marie Moning

Comments (showing 1-50 of 275) (275 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Mariya (last edited May 26, 2010 07:34AM) (new)

message 2: by Jenny , Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (last edited Mar 12, 2010 02:53PM) (new)

Jenny  (JennyBr) | 4369 comments Mod
Tell me a bit about this series someone, what's it like and what's it about? On my TBR as someone said it was good but don't know much about it.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) if anyone's read it. im suppose to be reading this series next when the library finally gets it sent to my area where i live.

message 4: by Mariya (last edited Mar 12, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i heard its about faeries.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments It is IMO the best urban fantasy series ever. LOL. Is that a strong opinion? LOL. It involves druids, fairies (not the light and beautiful kind with wings but powerful ancient otherworldly beings), and woman with the skill to see and fight the fairies. The main character is a young woman whose sister dies in Ireland. She goes to Ireland to encourage the police to catch her sister's murderer. When she gets there, she realizes that she has a special skill of seeing fairies. There is several strong and very sexy men that she encounters who help her and become very important in her struggle. It has sexual tension and love interest (and later on in the series very intense sex scenes), but the main focus of the story is her skill, the fighting and the mystery surrounding her sister's death and the battle going on. The story is told in the first person and each book (there are 4 out the 5th will be released on 12/28/10) ends in a cliff hanger, I have spent many nights and work days (sshhhh!) reading this series trying to figure out what happens next. It is captivating, compelling -- the main character (Mac) is very likeable and easy to identify with. Great series!

There is a discussion forum on this series at http://www.karenmoning.com/forum/ because the story is intricate, there is alot of speculation about what things mean, what is going to happen, etc.

Moning's Highlander series is a separate series that is really paranormal romance. I do love that series. It does not have to be read in order and it does not have to be read along with the Faefever series. However, there is a lot of information in the HL series that is useful for the Faefever series. I found that it was useful to read the HL series after the Faefever series because I knew what information I wanted and was important to help understand the Faefever series. But I do not think there is a wrong or right way to read these. The HL series involves time travel, druids, fairies (of the kind I described above), sometimes womeen who can see the fairies. The women in the stories are very strong modern (typically) women.

message 6: by Jenny , Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (new)

Thank you Regina. That is loads of information about the series! It sounds really good, I think I will try the first one soon!

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i really wanna read the first one. but i bet the library wont have it in til monday...ugh. disappointment.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments When you all do I will re read with you.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i just started darkfever today and its pretty good so far. ill say more when im farther in.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments How is it going?

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) its pretty good so far. i love barrons!!!

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Ahhh, Barrons. Wait until you read #4. You may find yourself re-reading certain parts alot even before you finish the book. ;) He is one of my favorite male characters in a novel ever.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i have never read about a character like barrons before. i love how he calls mac ms. lane.

message 14: by Jenny , Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (new)

Is this series good enough to put as my next but one series to read?? Should I read it before Anita Blake etc...... Already got my next six books lined up, but after that... :)

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Yes. Much better than Anita. I couldn't get thru the first book.

message 16: by Jenny , Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (last edited Mar 20, 2010 02:05PM) (new)

Thanks Regina. I'll probably go with Fever then!! Too many mixed reviews on Anita and lots of good ones on Fever!! I find going with what others who like the same sort of stuff I do is meaning I get some really good books to read, so I will continue that way!!

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 28 comments Fever trumps Anita hands down.

KMM delivers some intricate plots, superb writing, terrific dialogue, and some of the best foreshadowing skills I've read to date. She knows how to give you just enough to keep you salivating for more. The only thing that I really dislike about KMM's Fever world are the cliffhanger endings. DreamFever was one of the BEST books, but the ending.. Oh God the torture.

message 18: by Regina (last edited Mar 20, 2010 06:33PM) (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments god the dialogue!! You are right Erika. "Same bloody word...."

Yes, those darned cliff hangers. I am so thankful that I discovered the series when 4 of them were out.

Once you get into them and hooked, we can let you know where the "teasers" for Shadowfever are -- there are a few. :)

I feel bad bashing Anita. I have met only one other person who couldn't finish the first book. I do think my reluctance to push forward was the criticism of the latter books -- I thought why work hard to like it?

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) yes. yes. i just love the dialogue in there. is anita really that bad? i was gonna read but changed my mind for sometime in the future b/c it has like 18 books and i have others books that r shorter i want to read.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i just finished darkfever, now im moving onto bloodfever. wants me some more barrons!

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Mariya glad you are liking it!! I am listening to Bloodfever on audio (as my re-read), I am surpirsed at how many details I missed or forgot about.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) im loving bloodfever more so than darkfever!

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments What part are you at? The series gets better and more intense!

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i just finished the part where she met the girl, dani. i thought when barrons left a tape in her roon where she broke into her garage, that was funny. i loved the first 3 or 4 chapters the best so far.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i love this recent chapter i just read after mac got bac from her 6 hrs wit vlane wit equalled 1 month, and her & barrons have it out.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Oh I love that part! I love the scene. He has her chained. He was worried and now he is jealous. She confronts him and she backs down. It is a great scene.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i ljust love it. i cant believe ill be d one wit this book by tomorrow and ill moving onto the next one. thank god im not that busy this week.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i love these new covers for the series, i think they're beautiful!

http://karenmariemoning.blogspot.com/...

message 29: by Mariya (last edited Mar 24, 2010 08:34AM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) just finished bloodfever, now im moving onto faefever.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments I just finished listening to it this morning! Love the scenes at the end between Barrons and Mac.

I love the new covers too!

message 31: by Mariya (last edited Mar 24, 2010 08:55AM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) omg. me too. just finished this morning. this book was amazingly good. i also loved the ending scene wit barrons and mac.

**SPOILER**

"Barrons." I hastily shoved the phone between the cushions.

"Ms. Lane." He inclined his dark head.

"You tattooed me, you bastard." I got right to the point.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Their conversations are brilliant. :) I love the scene in the car (trying not to put a spoiler here....) driving home *afterward* and he touches her face - so gently and lovingly.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) OMG. i loved that too. i have lots of favorites in bloodfever. and i also love their conversations. in the other books has it been said what barrons is yet?

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments No, unfortunately. Once you finish #4, take a look at the forums on the website you linked above. That is one of the biggest speculations -- what the heck is he? And #4 ends with a horribly huge cliff hanger. I was almost panting at the end -- what the heck?! After I finished Dreamfever (#4), then I went to reading the Highlander series for "clues" and more information. If you are interested when you are done, I can let you know which ones have relevant information. Not all do and some are better than others. Okay, here are the relevant ones:

Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5) by Karen Marie Moning The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Karen Marie Moning Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7) by Karen Marie Moning I don't think I have missed any here. There are about 4 other Highlander books, but they do not really have any clues/information pertinent to the Fever series, they are fun to read, but just not as important.

Also, there was a teaser recently put out in Moning's newsletter (I can email to you once you have finished Dreamfever). And then she has an album (Bloodrush), and the insert to the CD has deleted scenes and interviews with Barrons.

message 35: by Regina (last edited Mar 24, 2010 09:12AM) (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Mariya, one thing I will warn you -- you may want to have Dreamfever on hand for when you end Faefever. The ending of Faefever is shocking and you won't even want to waste a breath before you start Dreamfever.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) and the fifth doesnt come out til the end of december, wow. the fifth is the last book, rite??

omg. interviews wit barrons.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Yes, the 5th comes out 12/28/10. Ugh.

Yes, the interview scene is something. Also, reading the highlander series gave me some insight into how Moning writes her male characters. It is interesting. Her charcters are very strong, usually reserved and they hold back from the women they love/are interested in.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i might check out the highlander series then. i love fae books but there seems there r not lots of fae books out there.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Warning the Highlander books are different than the fever series, as the romance is the main focus of the story. But it involves time travel, druid and fae stuff.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) wht is the highlander series basically about? i heard somewhere that the time setting was a little bit different, is that true?

message 41: by Regina (last edited Mar 24, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments Yes. It typically involves (with a few exceptions) a modern woman and a man from hunderds of years back in time. The men are either druids, Fae, half-fae, or enslaved to the fae (and a few other exceptions). The women are usually very intelligent and strong, one of them is a fae seer like Mac.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) okaiexz...thanks.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments How are you liking #3?

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) loving it. didnt get too far into it yet b/c had to work all weekend.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) okaiexz. i finally finished faefever and now im moving on to dreamfever. i seriously cant wait to start reading this one.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments You are going to LOVE the beginning parts of DF. I asm listening to Faefever on audio right now.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) im really excited to read this one. but then i bet there's another cliffhanger at the end of this book. this is a really good series.

Regina (ReginaR) | 558 comments The cliffhanger is horrible.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) well, of course. i hate cliffhanger!!!!

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) so, who do u like more: v'lane or barrons?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Faefever (other topics)
Bloodfever (other topics)
Dreamfever (other topics)
Darkfever (other topics)
Spell of the Highlander (other topics)
More...