Book lovers discussion

Group Read > Fallen *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
What did you all think?

message 2: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (BookMoodReviews) | 39 comments ok who is the author of the book?

I have a book called Fallen by Erin McCarthy.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Its not that its Fallen by Lauren Kate

message 4: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (BookMoodReviews) | 39 comments ah, ok!

Carry on,. Nothing to see here. lol!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I finished this book, spoilers below.

First things first, i thought the book was way too long and some parts really dragged on. I think that the author could have cut loads of it out and it would have been much better. I also thought that the main charatcer was really naive at the start and that annoyed me. But other than those points, i liked the book. I thought it was a good idea and i liked the twist with Miss Sophia at the end. I could see the Cam twist coming. I was shocked that Miss Sophia killed Penn aswell! That was sad. I liked Luce and Daniel but i thought that the part about him being immortal and her keep coming back and then dying as soon as they met was too much like Evermore. This is the second angel book that i have read, the other on being Hush, Hush, but i think i prefered Hush, Hush. Mostly because it was shorter and had a better pace. I think a lot more thought was put into Fallen though. I am looking forward to finding out what happens next!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments I also felt that the book was too long in some parts and although there was some really beautiful descriptions, they very often took away from the story. I already know what the sun looks like reflected off a lake...and even though I am from Georgia that could have been left out. Having said that, i loved how she described the buzzing of the ciccidas. They are everywhere in Georgia and that was perfect. I just felt there were some obvious moments that took too long for the main character to realize and a few of the characters weren't properly explained. So I didn't feel a sense of connection to most of them...I did like the idea behind the book and will read the next installment out of curiosity, but I hope there are some improvements to the writing. This is the third Angle book I have read and it was interesting but I am getting a little sick of the whole "I'm dating an immortal" bit. :\

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I imagine that all the description meant more to you than it did to me then! I am getting bored of the dating the immortal thing too. When it came out that she had all these past lives and he kept finding her, i liked the story less because it reminded me too much of Evermore. That's the problem with so many books with the same kind of idea, you can always compare it to something else and theres only so much the author can do to make it original. Hopefully the next book will help to set it apart from all the others. And hopefully she will cut out all the babbling and just stick to the story.

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (CornflowerBlue) | 4 comments I liked the babbling but hated the story. It seemed like everything you knew at the front because it was massively foreshadowed was pretty much what you knew at the end.

A whole book's worth of waiting for the main character to realise what you already know is a waste of a whole book. There's only so far the author could stretch dramatic irony, and if the characters had been delicious, or the action enthralling, she might have gotten away with it. The only characters that felt like they really had potential were Roland and Penn.

I have to say, this book has one massive similarity to Twilight, in that the author seems so smitten with the central male character that she doesn't really bother trying to persuade readers to feel the same. I really wanted to feel the sexual tension between Luce and Daniel, but meh, nothing.

An enjoyable and surprisingly quick read if you weren't expecting much, but I'd hoped for more.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I can see what you mean. You had the general idea what was going on between them and the end didn't really bring much in the way of suprises except for the death of Penn and Miss Sophia and Cam being on the other side. I could see the Cam thing coming but not miss Sophia until the second half of the book. I also agree when you said the author loved the characters and didn't work on trying to get us to love them. I am hoping that the next book will bring more depth but i'm not holding my breath.

message 10: by Stray (new)

Stray (andrez-ssi) i thought the writers idea very interesting and ive to admit i was curious about the love triangle

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Thats one of the things i am looking forward to reading about in the next book. She is bound to have some feeling towards Cam, it's never that simple.

message 12: by Stray (new)

Stray (andrez-ssi) *nods*

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy John | 2 comments if you don't like the book then why did you read it ? in my opinon

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy John | 2 comments smh

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
You don't know if you will like it until you have read it.

message 16: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (CornflowerBlue) | 4 comments Agreed, I had no idea whether or not I would like the book until I'd read it!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you ladies. This was too big to hold so little. The book was boring for me up to page 182, nearly half the book later. There was one sentence that sparked my interest. It did get a bit better from there but not nearly what would be considered good or great.

Trust me, if I knew I was going to like the book I would of wasted my time on a better book. But you can't judge a book by its cover but by the content.

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Will you be reading the next one in the series?

message 19: by M. (new)

M. B. | 7 comments I thought this book had so much promise! But it fell flat. I agree with Fiona in that you are told the main characters have this attraction to eachother, but you don't feel it. The various other characters seemed interesting, but again... not much time is spent on them and exploring their characters. Everything just comes to a head towards the end of the book, and you see where the lines between good and evil are drawn.

Jo, I too was shocked at what happened with Miss Sophia and Penn! I truly wasn't expecting that.

I think i tried reading Evermore, but wasn't able to finish it... was that story better than this one???

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I thought Evermore was better than Fallen. It was shorter and kept a better pace but it had a similar feel to this one.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fallen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lauren Kate (other topics)