Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Jessica's February Reads

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2395 comments A month with a Sookie book is always a good month!

message 3: by Susie in KS (new)

Susie in KS Fevella (SusieinKS) | 1089 comments I've never had a chance to read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, and need to add it to my list ;) You had a very good month!

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (BarryPz) | 1911 comments One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is an all time favorite of mine, prompting me to read all of Kesey, and The Electric KoolAid Acid Test as well. It was useful when I stumbled on a movie called "never give an inch" and it was Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion (I believe it starred Henry Fonda and Paul Newman)

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6815 comments Good month, Jessica! Two Stephen King books! I need to get through with some of the library books so I can get back to Under the Dome!

Jessica wrote: "This is what I read/listened to during the month of February:
1. Blaze: A Novel (and) Under the Dome by Stephen King

..."

message 6: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (JessiBee) | 28 comments Thanks, everybody! Reading has always been one of my favorite hobbies. Getting to read a lot is the only part of being disabled that I can enjoy. :D

Ann wrote: "Good month, Jessica! Two Stephen King books! I need to get through with some of the library books so I can get back to Under the Dome! "

I have always loved Stephen King! I got a little behind on his books over the past few years, so I'm playing catch up. I received Under the Dome for Christmas and put off reading it only because I couldn't lift it. I finally got it in my lap and it was so worth it. Let me know what you think of it once you're finished!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4299 comments A great month, Jessica, and quite the mix of genres! I like it.

Jessica wrote: "This is what I read/listened to during the month of February:

1. Blaze: A Novel by Stephen King

2. Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

..."

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6815 comments Jessica:
I could have written this - or my DD. I loaned her my "door stopper" size hardback of Under the Dome and she keeps saying it is too big to hold where she usually likes to read. ;)
The Kindle version makes it easier and harder for me to get to it with library books all over the place. ;(
I also got a bit behind in my King reading. In fact when I checked, I bought Blaze in Jun-2007 and haven't read it yet. For a while I had my backlog of King books listed as my "Determination Reads" tbr list and made a bit of a dent.

Jessica wrote: "I have always loved Stephen King! I got a little behind on his books over the past few years, so I'm playing catch up. I received Under the Dome for Christmas and put off reading it only because I couldn't lift it. I finally got it in my lap and it was so worth it. Let me know what you think of it once you're finished! ."

message 9: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (JessiBee) | 28 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "A great month, Jessica, and quite the mix of genres! I like it."

I never stick to just one genre. There's just so much to read out there! Now that I have the time, I want to read it all. :)

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4299 comments I'm so behind I didn't even recognize Blaze: A Novel as a King title....

Ann wrote: "I also got a bit behind in my King reading. In fact when I checked, I bought Blaze in Jun-2007 and haven't read it yet. For a while I had my backlog of King books listed as my "Determination Reads" tbr list and made a bit of a dent...."

message 11: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (JessiBee) | 28 comments Ann wrote: "I bought Blaze in Jun-2007 and haven't read it yet."

I had mine for a year or two before I read it. ;)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm so behind I didn't even recognize Blaze: A Novel as a King title...."

When I found it, I didn't recognize it either. I search for my favorite authors on Amazon and find books that make me say out loud, "What? When did they write that??" I'm still behind, but slowly (oh, so slowly) catching up.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6815 comments Carol:
Maybe that was because it was actually "co-written" under the name,Richard Bachman!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm so behind I didn't even recognize Blaze: A Novel as a King title....

Ann wrote: "I also got a bit behind in my King reading. In fact when I checked, I bought Blaze in Jun-2007 an..."

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4299 comments I saw that! I think you are probably half right!

Ann wrote: "Carol:
Maybe that was because it was actually "co-written" under the name,Richard Bachman!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm so behind I didn't even recognize Blaze: A Novel as a King title...."

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2196 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:

ROFL- how do you co-write a book with yourself?

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6815 comments Excellent question, Sherry!
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_...
(I love Google!)

Sherry wrote: "ROFL- how do you co-write a book with yourself?
Maybe that was because it was actually "co-written" under the name,Richard Bachman!"

Blaze was in fact an unpublished novel of King's written before Carrie or the creation of Richard Bachman. For its publication King rewrote, edited, and updated the entire novel. In February 2007 it was confirmed that Scribner would be publishing the book in June 2007.
King has taken full ownership of the Bachman name on numerous occasions, as with the republication of the first four Bachman titles as The Bachman Books: Four Early Novels by Stephen King in 1985. The introduction, titled "Why I Was Bachman", details the whole Bachman/King story. (In 1996, the collection was reissued with a new King essay, "The Importance of Being Bachman".)

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4299 comments I love Wikipedia!

Ann wrote: "Excellent question, Sherry!
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_...
(I love Google!)

Sherry wrote: "ROFL- how do you co-write a book with yourself?
Maybe that..."

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2196 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I love Wikipedia!
"

i do, too but our librarian at school won't let kids use it for research..lol

message 18: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 893 comments Most professors at graduate school won't let you use Wikipedia as a source in a paper. Sometimes it's inaccurate. In fact, I caught an error in Wikipedia during research once. It was copied on other websites because many people don't realize that Wikipedia can be wrong and don't check to see if it's factual.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6815 comments Shomeret:
Agreed, Wikipedia is not infallible. In the case of Richard Bachman, I knew the info was at least essentially correct because I had read it before from other sources. It never hurts to check out multiple sources on the Internet and even then it isn't always correct.
Shomeret wrote: "Most professors at graduate school won't let you use Wikipedia as a source in a paper. Sometimes it's inaccurate. In fact, I caught an error in Wikipedia during research once. It was copied on o..."

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4299 comments Sherry wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I love Wikipedia!
"

i do, too but our librarian at school won't let kids use it for research..lol"

I think that's right. You have to take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, and check other sources if you're using it for anything important.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

All Together Dead (other topics)
Blaze (other topics)
Mister B. Gone (other topics)
1984 (other topics)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Clive Barker (other topics)
George Orwell (other topics)
Stephen King (other topics)
Kathryn Stockett (other topics)
Ken Kesey (other topics)
More...