Arthuriana -- all things King Arthur ! discussion

Contemporary and futuristic Arthurian books

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Hello everyone! I am writing a paper on contemporary and futuristic iterations of the Arthurian legend and would very much appreciate any help in finding books beyond those listed below. Thanks!

Wicked quintet by Nancy Holder & Debbie ViguiƩ
The Pendragon Chronicles by Susan Kearney
Avalon High by Meg Cabot

message 2: by Terence (new)

Terence (Spocksbro) | 6 comments Amanda wrote: "Hello everyone! I am writing a paper on contemporary and futuristic iterations of the Arthurian legend and would very much appreciate any help in finding books beyond those listed below. Thanks!..."

Stephen Lawhead: Avalon The Return of King Arthur
Mike Barr: Camelot 3000 DC Comics Series

Hope this helps a bit.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Those both look like they would work - thank you! :)

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert (flagon_dragon) | 28 comments Corbenic - Catherine Fisher
The Dark is Rising sequence - Susan Cooper.

message 5: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 187 comments Mod
Arthur, Kind by Dennis Lee Anderson

I haven't read it, just know the plot takes place in WWII.

message 6: by Phair (new)

Phair (SPhair) | 11 comments A trilogy by Peter David sets Arthur in modern New York where he becomes mayor and later President. The titles are Knight Life, Fall of Knight and One Knight Only . I have not read them.

Code of the West by Aaron Latham takes the Arthur/Guinevere/Lancelot triangle and puts it in an American West setting. I read that one and was not impressed- too much of a stretch. A second book by Latham, The Cowboy with the Tiffany Gun: A Novel reworks the story of Percival. I haven't tried that one.

message 7: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Mar 06, 2010 12:30PM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 292 comments The Sopranos. Tony is Arthur, Chris is Mordred, Sil is Gawain, Dr Melfi is Merlin, the swimming pool is the Grail, Janet is Morgana.
The bear visiting the garden is the Arthur archetype scratching at the subconscious of Tony.
The Armalite Bobby gives him for his birthday is Excalibur.
OK...probably not...it's probably just about a Jersey family.
Or...it's maybe that the myth has subconsciously influenced the writers...or maybe you can see parallels in any power structure with a flawed leader.
Hmmm, wonder if that works with Deadwood? Bullock as Arthur, Alma as Gwen, Al as Merlin maybe? The tinned peaches the Grail? Grasping at straws here? Possibly, but they have as much a connection to the Arthur myths as many so called "interpretations" (more than some), and as there isn't really an "original", but many tales that snowballed together, I think they are not entirely invalid views.
I think the similarity of the themes is more important in whether something is "Arthurian" rather than just calling someone Arthur in a story.

message 8: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Walker (MalcolmWalker) | 4 comments Hi Amanda,

I'm author of The Stone Crown, which is a contemporary reworking of the Arthurian legend.

Malcolm

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Thank you everyone for all the great ideas!

message 10: by Kate Hart (new)

Kate Hart (Aunt_Crafty) | 1 comments Amanda,

Check out "The Forever King" by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy...takes place in 2000. Great dialog sections and very creative use of plot and characters. I found it to be an engrossing and fun read.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) For futuristic Arthurian space opera, try The Hawk's Gray Feather and other volumes of the Keltiad.

Arthuriana -- all things King Arthur !

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avalon: The Return of King Arthur (other topics)
Camelot 3000 (other topics)
One Knight Only (other topics)
Code of the West (other topics)
Fall of Knight (other topics)
More...