Brandon Sanderson discussion

Questions > The Way of Kings

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 23 comments Just saw the cover art and if I was anticipating this book before, I am even more excited about it.

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob | 3 comments I guess Brandon just sent the revision to this today to Tor, now he'll be back to working on WoT stuff.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 23 comments 3 weeks!

message 4: by James (new)

James Rada Jr. (jimrada) | 10 comments I'm reading the book now. It's very good. Will he be working exclusively on this series until it is complete or will we be seeing other books from him?

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 23 comments He seems to be doing about 2-3 books a year. I know he is finishing the wheel of time series with his second of 3 book already headed to the publisher. I believe that once he finishes the final WOT book this will be his focus, though I hope we still see more Alcatraz books and maybe a few other side projects that he has mentions (the sequel to Warbreaker)

He did option the rights to the movie for Mistborn and I wonder how involved he will be in that. I expect these books to come once a year.

message 6: by James (new)

James Rada Jr. (jimrada) | 10 comments Mike, I also saw that he optioned Alcatraz to Dreamworks. While I like the Way of Kings, I do hope he comes out with additional books in between.

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Just picked up my copy of the Way of Kings today - looks awesome! I loved his Mistborn trilogy, as well as Warbreaker and Elantris - can't wait to start on WoK.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 15 comments I've been reading WoK and its amazing so far. I think a shardblade should be the essential weapon for every hero.

message 9: by Em (new)

Em | 3 comments I am really likeing Way of Kings. Almost half way through. WOT comes out on 11/2/2010!

message 10: by David (new)

David Menzies (crushedlikefruit9) | 7 comments Just got my paperback edition of Way of Kings! Love the cover art! Really, it has to be once of the best covers I've seen. So far I'm about 1/3 of the way through... Need to get crackin'

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments I loved the Way of Kings, I'm just waiting now for the release of Volume 2. I've ordered it, so hopefully will have it in my TBR collection in about a month...

message 12: by David (new)

David Menzies (crushedlikefruit9) | 7 comments Volume 2??

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Yeah, apparently the Way of Kings was considered too long for a single volume, so it was split into 2. The second installment is just ove 500 pages, I think. The Way of Kings Part Two The Stormlight Archive Book Two by Brandon Sanderson

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments And I just got an email from BD - this volume is now available and it's in the mail and on its way!!

message 15: by David (new)

David Menzies (crushedlikefruit9) | 7 comments ohh.. I see! you got it split in to two... I've only seen the hardback and paperback with both volumes in one. Do you live outside of the U.S.? Perhaps that's why?

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Oh, you got the whole 1500 pages in one volume? I live in Australia, and we're being given the excuse that the book was too thick for a single volume, so it's been split into two: one at 1008 pages, and the other at about 544 pages...would have been so much better if it was just all together like you get. And you get the hardcover over there? We've only seen the paperback :-(

message 17: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Wortman (evenstar7479) | 2 comments I can't wait!!! I can't wait!!! I can't wait!!!

message 18: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 72 comments I just started it if you can believe and so far kaladin is my favorite!!!

message 19: by Jax (new)

Jax | 23 comments I loved Way of Kings!!
I'll admit, I took me one or two chapters to get into it, but after that, I couldn't put it down!
Kaladin is definitely a fantastic Character, and I loved Syl!!
Near the end of the book, I was so on edge!
I was practically yelling, But Kaladin hasn't met Dalinar yet!
And there are just so many topics of discussion available!
Once again, Sanderson shares his genius with us! I absolutely LOVE his books!

message 20: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 72 comments True That.

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments First, I apologise to all Wheel of Time fans, but I love Brandon Sanderson's books and I'm getting impatient waiting for him to finish WOT just so we can get another installment of WAY OF KINGS...
IT'S TAKING TOO LONG!!!! :(

message 22: by Jax (new)

Jax | 23 comments @Amber - I feel your pain! I keep hoping that he'll somehow finish before the deadline and we'll get an early release!!!

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Jax wrote: "@Amber - I feel your pain! I keep hoping that he'll somehow finish before the deadline and we'll get an early release!!!"

I hope for the same thing - every time I look up Brandon Sanderson for upcoming/new releases and see something's due, I get all cheery...until I see it's a WOT. Grrrr

message 24: by Jax (new)

Jax | 23 comments LOL - At this point I don't care what it is, as long as it gets released soon!
I think I may have to enforce a new rule for myself when reading Sanderson! - Only 1 chapter a night!! otherwise I finish them too quickly and then I have a year to wait!!! :-)

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Absolutely!!! Good luck to you - I tried to pace myself with Way of Kings. I tried. I failed. It was too good, I read it in a couple of days, then whinged that he hadn't magically brought out the second book in the days it took me to read WoK. :-)

message 26: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 72 comments Same, same. I was thinking "It's going to take another 10 years to write the next one. Why me?!"

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Exactly. I'm starting to take it personally that he hasn't brought out the next in the Stormlight Archives... Does that make me sad? (On second thought, nobody answer that!!!) :)

message 28: by Jax (new)

Jax | 23 comments LOL - I'll answer anyway...
No... Amber, you're not sad!!
I think to a certain extent, we all feel the same!
I feel better knowing that at least I'm not the only one who finishes the book, and then gets miffed cos the next one hasn't miraculously become available yet! LOL
(Then again, we have to wait even longer for the book, cos we have to import them once they're released, or wait another 6 months or so for it to finally arrive in our bookstores!)

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments lol yay I'm not the only one who feels that way! It's always nice to know there are others who share my...irritation?
Impatience?
Fury?
All the above, I think!! And unfortunately, now that I've started on this topic, nothing will shut me up except the next Stormlight Archives installment in my hands, which won't be out for a LOOOOONG time, so everyone will have to put up with my complaining...apologies in advance, everyone!! :D

message 30: by Jax (new)

Jax | 23 comments That's okay - we'll just sympathize! LOL

Is it just me, or do you also gets pissy when you hear 'bad reviews' or STUPID comments on books you've enjoyed??
I recently found somewhere - can't remember where - I've blotted it out... that ppl were complaining about how often Sanderson kept going back and reiterating the past or plot? I was sooo annoyed!
If you aren't actually going to read the book, then don't review it!!! but just because you didn't enjoy the half-arsed attempt you made, don't make other ppl hesitate to read it!!
There are valid reasons to not enjoy a book, and give it a bad review - and then - there aren't!!!!

Sorry - its my issue - so I had to rant! :D

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Ha ha, no it's fine - I'm the same :D If you've read a book and genuinely didn't like it, then fine, give legitimate reasons for your dislike and let others make their own opinions/impressions.

But if you don't actually read the book, decide you don't like it, then spend all your time giving it a bad review to put people off it - that's pretty pathetic.

Personally, for me, Brandon Sanderson can do no wrong - he's like a deity in the literary/fantasy world. If I read a bad review of his books, I pity the poor person who just didn't get it... :D

message 32: by Camilla (last edited May 11, 2012 06:29AM) (new)

Camilla | 72 comments Me too! I was looking for a review for Way of Kings for one of my classes, and I actually found bad ones. Mind Blown. Reading those made me absolutley sick. I now stay away from any reviews at all, and just trust my opinion..that Sanderson is a god....

message 33: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Absolutely! I tend to bypass reviews these days on 'my' authors. I know I like them, so no one else's opinion matters - unless they're in agreement with me, of course!! lol :D

message 34: by Jax (new)

Jax | 23 comments LOL... :D - Thank you!

I only mention this, because when I look for a new Author, I do browse some reviews to see if its something I want to try...though mostly I go with other author reviews.... :D
But I've recently come across a few others... and like Midstar I was mortified by the bad reviews on Sanderson's writing... clearly they need to stick with the Mills and Boons! Their intellect isn't up to Sanderson standards!
I actually read one for the Misborn Series - and the reader actually complained about Min's natural affinity with the magics! I was dumbfounded!

But I've seen a few examples of this with other authors too! and it just makes me furious! especially when I've read the books myself, and their "reasons" are baseless and clearly show that they either didn't understand what they were reading... or they never finished the damn book!

In this I'm grateful for GR - especially with Authors that are members... I've had one or two authors that had horrible reviews - when the book was actually GREAT - and I"ve made it my personal mission to contact the authors 'directly' and let them know their work is most definitely appreciated.

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments That's a really nice thing to do. And it means a lot to the author, to get such great feedback. I've had some lovely comments, and it really buoys you up :D

I think people who don't actually read a book properly before giving it a bad review are ignorant. They're either not at all interested in giving the author a fair go, or they like their particular genres and feel it's beneath them to actually READ the book they're reviewing.

It infuriates me, too, when authors do the same thing to other authors without actually READING the subject of their review. Every writer knows how hard it is in the pubishing world - you'd think they would give other authors a fair try before giving an opinion that will be read by thousands of people...

Ok, I think my rant is over for now. Maybe. But just so everyone knows we're staying on track - Brandon Sanderson is AWESOME...Isn't it great how I subtly worked that in there :D

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments Yes :D and so say all of us!!!

message 37: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 72 comments I should re-read it, but that would take forever. Maybe when I have a LOT of time.

message 38: by Jax (last edited May 16, 2012 02:42AM) (new)

Jax | 23 comments I'll probably do a re-read of WoT and WoK's closer to the release of the next book.... that way the story is still fresh in my mind! :D

message 39: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 72 comments I just bought Way of Kings. It's ridiculous how happy that makes me.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 18 comments lol at least you're happy :) that's the main thing!!

message 41: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 12 comments Midstar wrote: "I just bought Way of Kings. It's ridiculous how happy that makes me."

Welcome to the club :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Way of Kings, Part 2 (other topics)