The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4) The Wicked Day discussion

Mordred, son of Arthur

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Deborah I enjoyed looking at the Arthurian Legend from the standpoint of his son, Moedred. A sad story, but a good one.

Lesley Arrowsmith Mary Stewart is an excellent writer, and really gets you to feel as if you are there in that time and place - but. (There's always a 'but', isn't there?). In the first three books, starting with The Crystal Cave, she had a particular view of the Arthurian myth and was writing towards the traditional conclusion that Mordred would be the villain of the piece. By the time she actually came to write The Wicked Day, she had done more research - and knew that Mordred wasn't the villain he had traditionally been painted to be. Which left her with a bit of a quandary, in that she now wanted to change the ending and make Mordred more sympathetic. She did that very well, but it doesn't really sit well with the earlier books. (When the book first came out, I saw her give an interview on Channel 4 - UK TV - and was so impressed that I sent off for a transcript of the interview. You could do that sort of thing in those pre-internet days.)

message 3: by SculderLover (last edited Jun 24, 2014 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

SculderLover I completely agree with this and this is why I really disliked this book. And just about every other book on him They never get him right.

Old-Barbarossa Have to say I agree with Michael Moorcock when he says:

"Arthuriana has become a genre in itself, more like TV soap opera where people think they know the characters. All that's fair enough, but it does remove the mythic power of the feminine and masculine principles. So I prefer it in its original form, even if you have to wade through Mallory's 'Le Morte d'Arthur' -- people smashing people for pages and pages! It still has the resonances of myth about it, which makes it work for me. I don't want to know if Mordred led an unhappy childhood or not."

SculderLover But I do. And lots of other people do to. I love how people are breathing new life into the genre.

SculderLover I want to know these people, I want them to become like friends. The best books are the ones were you are so ingrained in someone's else psyche you forget there not real. But they will always be real to you.

Karen Hannah wrote: "I completely agree with this and this is why I really disliked this book. And just about every other book on him They never get him right."

But what is "right"?

SculderLover "Right" is sympathetic and vulnerable but also brave and courageous. Mordred is painted as a villain but I don't believe he is. If nothing else he believes he is a hero and so do I. He was a good person with a horrible fate he couldn't control. His whole life was predestined and he couldn't even love his own father. He's just intriguing on so many levels but in every book I read he sounds whiny and shallow. Not the hero I see inside him.

message 9: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Jun 27, 2014 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Old-Barbarossa Sometimes we need villains just to be villainous.
There is particularly nasty old version that has Lancelot hunt down Mordred and Guinevere and seal them in a tomb together...I think in this version Guinevere's infedelity is with Mordred rather than Lancelot, but it was ages ago I read it.
Anyway, she dies and Mordred eats her...nasty stuff.

Old-Barbarossa Found it.
Mer Des Histoires by Jean des Preis.
14th cent Arthuriana.

Karen Old-Barbarossa wrote: "... Anyway, she dies and Mordred eats her... nasty stuff."

Ew, ick! lol, thanks for sharing because now I know not to read it.

Old-Barbarossa Karen wrote: "Ew, ick! lol, thanks for sharing because now I know not to read it."

:)
There are some wild old books out there.

SculderLover You should try reading the orginal sleeping beauty. It's not anything like the disney movie. It's super dark and disturbing.

Old-Barbarossa Hannah wrote: "You should try reading the orginal sleeping beauty. It's not anything like the disney movie. It's super dark and disturbing."

Aye, on a slight tangent, but related to this comment, if you've not read them try Angela Carter's take on the old faerie tales.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wicked Day (other topics)