Young Adult Book Club discussion

Poison Study (Study, #1)
This topic is about Poison Study
Poison Study > Sequels (no spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 01, 2010 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments Did you read “Magic Study” and “Fire Study”? Did you enjoy them just as much as “Poison Study”? Or were you disappointed by the story development? Did the characters stay consistent? Would you recommend reading these books or should we stop at “Poison Study”?

Please try to keep this thread spoiler-free.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) I loved the first book and would like to read the others, but I often don't get to second and third books +++, so I'll be interested in what members have to say about them.

Heather (HeatherJoy) | 180 comments I've read all three, and Poison Study is best in series, hands down, no contest.

Kate | 45 comments Heather wrote: "I've read all three, and Poison Study is best in series, hands down, no contest."

Well then, that kind of de-motivates me to read the rest of the series :P

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments I only read "Magic Study" and while I enjoyed it, it certainly was not as good as "Poison Study." Yelena became more and more of a Mary Sue, she kept getting kidnapped (several times) by several torturing/raping bad guys, but always managed to save the day by discovering new magical powers. Valek was almost absent most of the book too. IDK, compared to PS, MS was much-much weaker and the writing seemed more amateur.

Lady Salford (salford) Hmm... The more I read about the sequels, the less enthusiastic I feel about reading them compared to when I first finished Poison Study.

Kate | 45 comments Jillian wrote: "@Kate: There are merits to the rest of the series -- but just don't expect Magic Study or Fire Study to be as great as their initial predecessor. (I know that's disappointing, but that's the way ..."

So is it worth it to read the rest of the series, even if they aren't as good as the first one?

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2678 comments Mod
Tatiana wrote: "I only read "Magic Study" and while I enjoyed it, it certainly was not as good as "Poison Study." Yelena became more and more of a Mary Sue, she kept getting kidnapped (several times) by several to..."

I wonder if this is so it can appeal to the YA crowd?

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Has anyone read the Sea Glass series? I hear it continues in the same world as Poison Study.

message 10: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 04, 2010 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments I know Glass series was written as YA, not sure about MS and FS. The main character in Glass books is Opal, who is introduced in MS, I've heard that Yelena makes an appearance in them. So yes, it is the same world.

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I am almost finished Poison Study and I am loving this book. I have added the sequels to my very large to-read pile. I might even go out and buy the books this weekend.

Heather (HeatherJoy) | 180 comments I would say that there is a strong possiblity that MS and FS would taint your love of PS, Kate. It did for me at least. While reading PS, I thought Yelena was admirable, resourceful, brave and intelligent. That went out the window with the sequels and it made me wonder if the way I thought of Yelena in PS was simply because I had blinders on. Certainly read it if you just want to continue on, but if you are expecting a more satisfying ending to Yelena's story, you won't get it.

As for the Glass series. It is set in Sitia, in Opal's POV. Opal makes and appearance in both MS and FS, and the Glass series follows her as she begins magical training.

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 45 comments Thanks, Heather. I kind of want to finish the series so that I can get the whole story. But on the other hand, I don't want it to ruin the first one. So I don't know what I'm going to do yet... :P

message 14: by Alethea (last edited Mar 07, 2010 12:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 46 comments I'm terrible. My favorite is whichever one I happen to be reading at the time. I definitely think Poison Study squeaks in as my favorite of the three, but I love the other two as well and can't imagine not having read them. I really like the world-building (including what more we learn about Ixia/Sitia in the Glass series) and I really needed some closure as to Yelena's lot in life.

And more Valek of course :D

message 15: by Rieh (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rieh Medin (Dracosilverwolf) | 8 comments I would have to say that "Poison Study" is the best of the three, but in a way that I would pick-it-up and read it again. Over and over. While the other two lack the read-it-again charm that I felt with "Poison Study", they're still very good. I just won't re-read them as often as the first.

message 16: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

About to start Magic Study this week and I am so excited!

message 17: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't seem to find Fire Study in hard cover? Anyone else have this problem?

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 46 comments They never issued a Fire Study HC. That drives me crazy too--no match for my PS/MS hardcovers and YA reprints!

message 19: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 45 comments Lol, I'm weird about my books. They need to match!! I can't stand it when they change the style halfway through the series. I like my bookshelf to look nice and neat with books that compliment each other.

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 46 comments Me too. It totally ticked me off with Ranger's Apprentice and Skulduggery Pleasant. :(

Lady Salford (salford) Going to start Magic Study today. Hopefully it'll be a fun read.

I too get frustrated when my books don't match. :(

Kayzee | 180 comments i want magic study!!!! im a broke ass tho maybe ill buy it any way lol

Chakara | 121 comments Just picked up magic study from the library today. :)

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 17 comments I have read Magic and Fire study. And I loved them. I also read the two Glass series books that are out. The are like a sequel series to the Study series... and I loved those two. I cannot wait for the third in the Glass series to be out!

Ariel (AJML) | 21 comments I'm reading Magic Study right now , but I've already read the Glass series . I read it before realizing I should have read the Study series first . I love every books I've read , everything Maria V. Snyder writes is amazinggg .

Kayzee | 180 comments OoOOo yea I might start reading the glass series I seen it at the book shop I might buy it lol

unread topics | mark unread