Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > March 2010 Purchases

Comments (showing 1-50 of 163) (163 new)    post a comment »

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1374 comments Mod
New month, new thread. Share your March purchases here.

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood, #1) by James McGee and Mania by Craig Larsen both arrived today.

Got my first book of March, hope it won't be the last. :-)
A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2) by Seanan McGuire

Toni | 17 comments Bought these 2:
Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barbery Everyday Blessings  The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by Jon Kabat-Zinn

message 5: by Valorie (last edited Mar 03, 2010 02:23PM) (new)

Valorie I received a half.com order today....

Blood Is the New Black  A Novel by Valerie Stivers Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover Charmed & Ready (Bronwyn the Witch, Book 2) by Candace Havens

And a B&N.com order today..
True Mates by Zena Wynn

Rhonda Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8) by Harlan Coben Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

Got these from our library book re-sale area :)

message 7: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) E-book:
First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

For our group read =D.

Valorie Went to two used book stores today.....

Ravish  The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty by Cathy Yardley Gone with the Witch (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #2) by Annette Blair Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin, #1) by Casey Daniels Dead and Dateless (Dead End Dating, #2) by Kimberly Raye Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun (Ghost Hunter Mystery, Book 3) by Victoria Laurie In Deep Voodoo by Stephanie Bond Cursed to Death (Crimson Moon, Book 4) by L.A. Banks First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #6) by Roxanne St. Claire Cupid's Melody (Magical Love Romance Series) by Karen Fox

Seriously, I'm trying to cut down, really.

I picked up 4 more used books from the library.
Take Me Out to the Cubs Game  35 Former Ballplayers Speak of Losing at Wrigley by John C. Skipper The Chicago Cubs (Writing Baseball) by Warren Brown Mystery!  A Celebration; Stalking Public Television's Greatest Sleuths by Ron Miller and Egypt (Country Fact Files) by Emma Loveridge

Michelle | 474 comments I got these today:
Wild Card (Elite Ops, #1) by Lora Leigh Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance Bridge over Time (Harlequin Superromance No. 592) by Brenda Hiatt. The first 2 are from Amazon, and the last is a gift from a fellow book addict. I'm really trying to stick to my book budget this month.

message 11: by Michelle (last edited Mar 04, 2010 05:39PM) (new)

Michelle | 474 comments Valorie wrote: "Went to two used book stores today.....

Ravish  The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty by Cathy YardleyGone with the Witch (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #2) by Annette BlairDon of the Dead (Pepper Martin, #1) by Casey Daniels[bookcover:Dead and Dat..."

Valerie, I planned to cut down this month too. Looking at your purchases is making it a really, really hard thing to do, lol!

LooLoo | 125 comments I plan to cut down this month but seeing how I started off by buying four books on eBay on March 1st I guess I didn't get off to a good start.

Oh well, they arrived today so start my count at 4 for March.

[image error] Bloodline by Maggie Shayne Hard Day's Knight by Katie MacAlister Through the Veil  by Shiloh Walker

Joseph - glad to see you are back in the race.

Thanks, Looloo. It looks like I'm kind of getting back up to speed. I bought another 3 books from the library today.

message 14: by Valorie (last edited Mar 05, 2010 07:10PM) (new)

Valorie Glad to have you back on our book buying crazy train, Joseph! I'm hitting the library book sale tomorrow!!

Michelle | 474 comments Went to the used bookstore today and bought:
Defending Angels (A Beaufort & Company Mystery, #1) by Mary Stanton Sea Fever (Children of the Sea, #2) by Virginia Kantra Master of Dragons (Mageverse, #8) by Angela Knight Love Without Blood by Raz Steel Close Up  by Virginia Kantra Master of Wolves (Mageverse, #5) by Angela Knight Kiss Of Darkness by Heather Graham Heart Mate (Celta's HeartMates, #1) by Robin D. Owens Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1) by Virginia Kantra Sea Lord (Children of the Sea, #3) by Virginia Kantra Maverick (Elite Ops, #2) by Lora Leigh [image error]

Valorie Michelle wrote: "Went to the used bookstore today and bought:
Defending Angels (A Beaufort & Company Mystery, #1) by Mary StantonSea Fever (Children of the Sea, #2) by Virginia KantraMaster of Dragons (Mageverse, #8) by Angela KnightLove Without Blood by Raz Steel[bookcover:Cl..."

Great haul Michelle!! I have most of those books also! I've read the Angela Knight books and really liked them.

Michelle | 474 comments Valorie wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Went to the used bookstore today and bought:
Defending Angels (A Beaufort & Company Mystery, #1) by Mary StantonSea Fever (Children of the Sea, #2) by Virginia KantraMaster of Dragons (Mageverse, #8) by Angela Knight[bookcover:Love Without Blood|58637..."

I'm pretty certain I grabbed them b/c I saw where you'd either read or bought them. I trust your taste in reading 100%!

message 18: by Valorie (last edited Mar 06, 2010 02:38PM) (new)

Valorie I just got back from the library book sale with...

The Hunter's Prey  Erotic Tales of Texas Vampires (Includes  Texas Vampires, 1 (Prequel)) by Diane Whiteside Night Fall (T-FLAC, #13) by Cherry Adair Touched by Light (The Sentinel Series, Book 3) by Catherine Spangler Dark and Dangerous by Jeanne Adams Whole Lotta Trouble by Stephanie Bond Forgotten  A Novel by Mariah Stewart Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters #6) by Suzanne Brockmann Run to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #3) by Christy Reece

I'm at 21 so far.

message 19: by Amy (last edited Mar 06, 2010 06:24PM) (new)

Amy (londoninlights) | 32 comments Just from Borders...

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot Mystery) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile  by Agatha Christie Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot) by Agatha Christie The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley The Blue Sword (Newbery Honor Roll) by Robin McKinley Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

Valorie Michelle wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Went to the used bookstore today and bought:
Defending Angels (A Beaufort & Company Mystery, #1) by Mary StantonSea Fever (Children of the Sea, #2) by Virginia KantraMaster of Dragons (Mageverse, #8) by Angela Knight[bookcover:Love W..."

Awww Thanks!! I feel the pressure now, starting to sweat. Hope you like the books!

Michelle | 474 comments Because I still had some trade in credit burning a whole in my pocket I went back today and bought:

Dark Possession (Carpathians, #18) by Christine Feehan This Is All I Ask (De Piaget, #6) by Lynn Kurland Derik's Bane (Berkley Sensation) by MaryJanice Davidson The Villa by Nora Roberts Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters #6) by Suzanne Brockmann Sins of the Flesh by Caridad Piñeiro Body Movers (Body Movers, #1) by Stephanie Bond [image error]

All I need to do now is spend less time on goodreads, and more time reading!

Michelle | 474 comments @ Valorie-

I know our March and Feb purchases are starting to mirror each other. Honestly, I was even trying today!

Jenn (Jebbie74) | 5 comments I bought two from Walmart yesterday: BoneMan's Daughters by Ted Dekker and Blood Born by Kathryn Fox.

I bought 10 from Value Village today: Pig Island by Mo Hayder The Kill Riff by David J. Schow No Holding Back (NASCAR Library Collection) by Liz Allison Risking Her Heart by Liz Allison Winning It All (NASCAR Library Collection) by Wendy Etherington Boneyard (Kelly Jones #2) by Michelle Gagnon The Gatekeeper by Michelle Gagnon Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres Tweak  Growing Up On Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff and The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

Picked up another interesting read used from the library: Baseball by the Rules: An Anecdotal Guide to America's Oldest and Most Complex Sport. That brings me to 9 now.

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 319 comments Stopped at Sam's Club and bought Hush, Hushand Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Bought these at the charity shop: Angela's Ashes  A Memoir of a Childhood by Frank McCourt Just A Family Affair by Veronica Henry

Michelle | 474 comments I received What, No Roses? by Marianne Mancusi from a used book seller on amazon.

message 28: by Candiss (last edited Mar 09, 2010 11:59AM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) I went a little nuts today, but it was budgeted for ahead of time. (I normally pick up maybe 3-8 books a month.) My kitty had surgery today (She's fine now...recovering but druggy and very angry.) and my fiancé and I decided to go to a used bookstore to spend some positive time doing something other than worry until we got the all-clear that the surgery had gone well. We had previously set aside money to book-shop this month, and since we had all our bills paid up we decided today was a good day. Then I ordered more when I got home. (I'm just listing my purchases, not my guy's. He picked up 8 books, but I don't recall all the titles.)

Used, from a local used bookstore (12):

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami Deep River by Shusaku Endo Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin A Fire in the Sun by George Alec Effinger The Exile Kiss by George Alec Effinger Impossible Things by Connie Willis Fire Watch by Connie Willis Psychoshop by Alfred Bester Agyar by Steven Brust City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

New, purchased online (4):

[image error] The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington Stellaluna by Janell Cannon Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
(Those last two are gifts for a friend's toddlers.)

Used, purchased online (8):

The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman [image error] Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy City of Golden Shadow (Otherland, #1) by Tad Williams Tomoe Gozen by Jessica Amanda Salmonson The Golden Naginata (Tomoe Gozen #2) by Jessica Amanda Salmonson Thousand Shrine Warrior by Jessica Amanda Salmonson My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist by Mark Leyner
(That last one is a gift for someone else.)

Swapped for on Goodreads (5):

The City & The City by China Miéville The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards, #1) by Scott Lynch Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole The Antelope Wife by Louise Erdrich

Total books purchased today: 29. Well, other than swapping if something on my wishlist comes up, I think I'm probably done for the month.

Michelle | 474 comments I just received these from the amazon marketplace:

Heart's Blood (Blood Magic, #2) by Gail Dayton Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Petsitter Mysteries, #1) by Linda O. Johnston

Rhonda Columbine from Half Price Books. Don't know how I got out of there with only 1 book, but I did!

Valorie Michelle wrote: "I just received these from the amazon marketplace:

Heart's Blood (Blood Magic, #2) by Gail DaytonSit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Petsitter Mysteries, #1) by Linda O. Johnston"

Those are on my TBR list and to buy list!! I'm getting jealous!

message 32: by Valorie (last edited Mar 09, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

Valorie I went to the library book sale again today then stopped by a used book store.....

Pier Pressure  A Keely Moreno Mystery by Dorothy Brenner Francis Playing Dead (Prison Break Trilogy, #3) by Allison Brennan A Harvest of Bones (Chintz'n China, #4) by Yasmine Galenorn Finding Your Mojo by Stephanie Bond The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, Book 2) by Angie Fox My Favorite Witch (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #2) (Berkley Sensation) by Annette Blair The Scot, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #3) by Annette Blair Never Been Witched (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #3) by Annette Blair

I'm at 29 so far.

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments This one came in the mail today
Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh, #1) by P.D. James

Rhonda The Blue Bottle Club  Newly Repackaged Edition by Penelope J. Stokes Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier from the library re-sale area.

Rhonda wrote: "The Blue Bottle Club  Newly Repackaged Edition by Penelope J. Stokes Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier from the library re-sale area."

If you haven't read it already, you're going to really like The Girl with the Pearl Earring. Cevalier does great art-themed historical fiction.

Bluemoon wrote: "YAY! I got two more books. Hahahaha...compared to all of you guys my March purchase is puny. I got The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King and The Poison Study by Maria Snyder ^_^"

King's "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" is a a great start to a great mystery series. She has the next book in that series coming out in April.

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Wow I can't believe it's the 10th and I have yet to buy a single book! *hangs head in shame*

LooLoo | 125 comments Susan (Suz) wrote: "Wow I can't believe it's the 10th and I have yet to buy a single book! *hangs head in shame*"

Suz, get busy!!!

Bluemoon wrote: "I love collecting series books..."

Me too! That's part of my addiction "problem." I just have to have complete series, and they're not always series I like to read, I just like to have them, like certain mystery series like P.D. James or Sara Paretsky because they're classics, that sort of thing.

Valorie I received a half.com purchase today....

Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2) by Anton Strout Karma Girl (Bigtime, Book 1) by Jennifer Estep The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery #1) by Karen E. Olson

Puts me at 32, I'm going to slow down from here! I must cut back on the book buying!

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Dang Valorie that is amazing!!! I'm so jealous!

Michelle | 474 comments Bluemoon wrote: "Susan (Suz) wrote: "Dang Valorie that is amazing!!! I'm so jealous!"

ditto..."

32 books, and its only the 11th. I have to sat that I'm jealous too :oP

message 43: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Mar 11, 2010 08:36PM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Just got these from work today. Knew I'd add something from my wishlist...lol.
Before I Wake (Nightmare Chronicles, Book 1) by Kathryn Smith and Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh

only 50 cents each!

Michelle | 474 comments Kenjii ~*~Black Kat~**~ wrote: "Just got these from work today. Knew I'd add something from my wishlist...lol.
Before I Wake (Nightmare Chronicles, Book 1) by Kathryn Smith and Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh

only 50 cents each!"

Only 50 cents?! That's great!!

Valorie Susan (Suz) wrote: "Dang Valorie that is amazing!!! I'm so jealous!"

Well it's going to taper slowly off this month. I have to appease the hubby! He is getting quite snarky with me!

message 46: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Mar 12, 2010 07:20AM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Yeah Michelle: My town is loaded with romance fans so we get a great haul =D. The bookstore is in the LIB so their more about selling for donations than profit. To get the books moving. If I had the room, I'd be collecting all my series b/c I know they have them upstairs, and for 50 cents each lol!

Kenjii ~*~Black Kat~**~ wrote: "If I had the room, I'd be collecting all my series b/c I know they have them upstairs, and for 50 cents each lol!..."

What do you mean, if you had the room?!? Who needs a sofa or bed, you could always sit or sleep on the floor. Get rid of that useless furniture and just make the room! ;-) lol

Michelle | 474 comments Kenjii ~*~Black Kat~**~ wrote: "Yeah Michelle: My town is loaded with romance fans so we get a great haul =D. The bookstore is in the LIB so their more about selling for donations than profit. To get the books moving. If I had th..."

I need to move into that town! Unless I'm missing something, the library closest to me never has any sales going on :(

message 49: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 13, 2010 03:36AM) (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Got these two today: African Adventure (Knight Books) by Willard Price The Complete Father Brown Stories (Wordsworth Classics) (Wordsworth Collection)  by G.K. Chesterton

Michelle | 474 comments I just couldn't resist the ubs today:
Surviving Demon Island (Demon Hunters, #1) by Jaci Burton Hunting the Demon (Demon Hunters, #2) by Jaci Burton Taken by Sin by Jaci Burton Hot Ice by Nora Roberts Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts Sanctuary by Nora Roberts

I'm still waiting on my amazon and ebay orders.

« previous 1 3 4