The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SPRING CHALLENGE 2010 > Spring Challenge 2010 Completed Tasks

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 2696-2745)    post a comment »

message 2745: by Cynthia, The SCM (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Mod
That's it folks - this challenge is over on to the summer challenge!

Rachel (lambfox) | 170 comments 5.01 ALL ABOUT THE BIRDS AND THE BEES “The Trumpet of the Swan” E.B. White
5.02 A BOOK IS LIKE A GARDEN CARRIED IN THE POCKET "Otherwise Normal People" Aurelia C. Scott (about rose gardeners)
5.04 IN THE NEWS “44 Scotland Street” Alexander McCall Smith (May 2009 Goodreads newsletter)
5.07 MARCH IS MENTAL RETARDATION AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES AWARENESS MONTH: “The Year My Son and I Were Born” Kathryn Lynard Soper (Down syndrome)
5.09 I THINK EVEN LYING ON MY BED I CAN STILL DO SOMETHING: “Innocent Blood” P.D. James
5.10 THE IMPORTANT THING IS NOT WHAT THEY THINK OF ME, BUT WHAT I THINK OF THEM: “The Clocks” Agatha Christie
10.01 BOOKS REALLY DO GROW ON TREES “Cold Sassy Tree” Olive Ann Burns
10.02 THREE/FOUR/FIVE “Portuguese Irregular Verbs” Alexander McCall Smith
10.03 THE LUCK OF THE IRISH: “The Double-Jack Murders” Patrick F. McManus
10.04 REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE: "Prince Caspian" C.S. Lewis (REUSE: book planned to but did not read for previous challenge)
10.06 AND THE OSCAR GOES TO “The Lacuna” Barbara Kingsolver, related to “Frida” nominated for academy award (508 pages for 500 pg ticket)
10.09 A LOVELY HORSE IS ALWAYS AN EXPERIENCE (etc.): “The Horse and His Boy” C.S. Lewis
15.01 INDEPENDENTLY SPEAKING a) “Dracula” Bram Stoker (Romania, May 9) b) “Between Parent and Child” Haim G. Ginott (Israel, May 14)
15.03 AT LEAST ONCE IN A LIFETIME “Mansfield Park” Jane Austen (528 pgs for 500 pg ticket); I wouldn’t put this on the list, as I don’t think it’s made a lasting impression on me. For now, I’d put Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” at the top, as one that influences my thinking.
15.07 BEWARE THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS “Book Lust” Nancy Pearl; she specifically addressed the possible implications of desiring to read more than desiring to experience life, and the possible problems of wanting one particular thing too much at the expense of others.
20.01 APRIL FOOL “The Reluctant Tuscan” Phil Doran
20.07 TIME TO DECLUTTER “Fatal Remedies” Donna Leon, crime involves expired medications I’m storing until I can drop them off at the pharmacy
25.01 FUTURE ASPIRATIONS “Making a Success of Marriage” David Yount (happy marriage)
25.03 COMING OUT OF HIBERNATION “Runner’s World Complete Book of Women’s Running” Dagny Scott Barrios (attended and participated in 5K run)
25.07 THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY “The Greek Myths” Robert Graves (784 pgs for 750 pg ticket)
25.09 SPRING BREAK “Ella Enchanted” Gail Carson Levine (1997, when I was in college)

Total points: 275

message 2743: by Jay (last edited May 31, 2010 08:52PM) (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments For my final post, I've got a few new ones and a few changes. Hoped to get more reading done today, but I guess it's on to the next one...

Congrats to all those who finished! I know I read my butt off and didn't come close, so respect and admiration for all of you hard-core bookies :)

5.9 "I think even lying on my bed...."
Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman 5/31/10
After reading the first one for the 50-pt graphic novel task, I had to pick up the second. This one was truly amazing...a 5 star read and perhaps my favorite of the challenge.

25.1 Future Aspirations
Model Home  A Novel by Eric Puchner by Eric Puchner 5/29/10
I've always wanted to own a home by the time I was 30...I've got 20 months left and not even close! Darn LA real estate!

25.3 Coming Out of Hibernation
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan 5/31/10
Frank Lloyd Wright was a famous American architect and this book is a fictionalized memoir of his mistress (based on historical facts). I was in Vancouver for a month and took an Art & Architecture walking tour. Loved this - great female main character.

CH-CH-CH-CHANGES!
15.10 "Face the facts of being what you are..."
Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert
I got engaged a month ago and this book--as well as its title--really spoke to me. I will forever be committed to my boyfriend and I don't need a marriage title to tell me that, but in the eyes of the law it does help! :)
Note: This book was previously claimed for 30.3A and I am moving it to 15.10

25.4 The Name Game
PART B - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Frankenstein is the name of the doctor who creates the monster (not the actual monster!).
Note: This book was previously claimed for task 5.9. Part A of 25.4 will remain the same.

30.3 Birth and Renewal
PART A -
Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler
Published on 3/9/10
Note: This book was previously claimed for task 25.4B. Part B of 30.3 will remain the same.

TOTAL POINTS: 525/980
BOOKS READ: 33
TASKS COMPLETED: 27
PAGES READ: 10,181
AVG PAGES PER BOOK: 309

REWARDS:
GOODREADS AUTHOR x3
BIG BOOK TICKET (500 pg)

Thanks Cynthia! See everyone next go round!!

Kristen | 15 comments 5.2) "A book is like a garden..." - The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World

10.5) B) Freedom of the Press - Woman Of The Times: Journalism, Feminism, & Career Of Charlotte Curtis

10.7) Beware the Ides of March - Wiseguy

15.4) "These gems have life in them" - Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone & Cooking Dirty: A Story of Life, Sex, Love and Death in the Kitchen

15.6) Friends and Friends of Friends -
A.) Franny and Zooey
B.) I Am Legend

15.8) "A beautiful thing never gives so much pain..." - Monet
I have enjoyed Monet's work ever since I first saw it in third grade. I really appreciate the way he utilizes nature in his works. My favorite works of Monet's include the Water Lily Pond & Japanese Bridge and The Terrace at Sainte-Adresse.

20.7) Time to Declutter - The Moviegoer
I have some movies that I don't watch anymore and need to sell, but just have not gotten around to doing it. The main character in this book goes to the movies a lot.

20.9) A Really Cheesy Task - American Prince: A Memoir

25.1) Future Aspirations - A Painted House
Ultimately, I would like to own my own house and the cover of this book features a house. Ever since I moved away from home, I have lived in either an apartment, so I would like to have a larger space at some point in my future.

25.4) The Name Game -
A.) Olive Kitteridge. My middle name is Elizabeth and the author is Elizabeth Strout.
C.) Bode: Go Fast, Be Good, Have Fun

25.5) Spring Cleaning - The Age of Innocence, Not Fade Away: A Backstage Pass to 20 Years of Rock & Roll, An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation

25.6) This Day in History -
A.) The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day
B.) The Boys of Pointe du Hoc: Ronald Reagan, D-Day, and the U.S. Army 2nd Ranger Battalion
C.) My birthday is June 6 and that is the anniversary of D-Day. The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day covers the story of the D-Day invasion and The Boys of Pointe du Hoc: Ronald Reagan, D-Day, and the U.S. Army 2nd Ranger Battalion looks into the relationship between the honoring of the Army Rangers' mission of climbing the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc by President Reagan in 1984.

30.4) One if by Land, Two if by Sea -
A.) Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home
B.) Hell or High Water: Surviving Tibet's Tsangpo River

My total comes to 390 points.

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) Squeaking in my final task!

I completed Task 5.8 ~ Mr.Watson. I read: We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

Total # Points: 415
Total # Completed Tasks: 24
Total # of Books Read: 31
Total # of Pages Read: 9773

message 2739: by [deleted user] (new)

One last task to report.

15.7 - I read Pride and Avarice: A Novel by Nicholas Coleridge. Please do yourself a favor and read this book. It was such a juicy page turner, and I highly recommend it. It is about a posh upper crusty PR guru who becomes obsessed with destroying a self-made entrepreneur who buys a cottage near his property, and razes it to build a McMansion. Their families intertwine, and the story is just so enthralling! If you are an Anglophile, or looking for a page turner this summer, I recommend this book. It is my favorite book that I read this challenge, which is pretty fitting, since it is the last book I was able to finish.

Previous score: 620
Current, and FINAL score: 635

Thanks to Cynthia and all of you guys who came up with incredible and interesting challenges. I look forward to hopefully finishing the summer challenge, esp. since I have just gotten my lay-off notice from work. :( More time to read, at least. :)

message 2738: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Matthew wrote: "Finished several tasks the past few days, and I want to get them in for the final total.

10.1 - Books really do grow on trees

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

..."

What did you think of Hacking Harvard? It's on my list for the second half of the numbers task, and I'm anxious to read it.

Carrie | 21 comments 25.5-Spring Cleaning-Read 850 pages or more:
Haunted Ground: A Novel by Erin Hart 352 pages
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain 372 pages
Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris 312 pages

5.2-read a novel featuring gardens
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

20.6-Read a book from your favorite series. Add 2-3 sentences summarizing the series.
Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
This series, which the show True Blood is based off of, is like visiting old supernatural friends. While each character is of special ability their personalities are those of friends we all have. They deal with regular life problems that are intertwined with the supernatural. Fun reading!

5.5-Using the following link (Popular Books) read a popular book that was published in a year ending in 3/4/5.
Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood by Koren Zailckas (2005)

Total Points: 175/980

message 2736: by Madeline (last edited May 31, 2010 08:05PM) (new)

Madeline | 55 comments One last entry for spring. I finished Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson for task 10.2 Three/Four/Five, its average rating is 3.44.

Final total: 190

message 2735: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) I did not do nearly as well as I would have liked, but that's ok. Bring on the Summer Challenge!

* Books I Own

5 POINT TASKS
5.4 - GR News: The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen March 2010 Newsletter
5.7 - Disability: House Rules - Jodi Picoult
5.10 - 1819-1901: The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins*

10 POINT TASKS
10.1 - Tree: Fear and Trembling - Kierkegaard
10.2 -3.35: A Good and Happy Child - Justin Evans* (3/14) 336p
10.8 - Space: A Briefer History of Time - Stephen Hawking*
10.10 - Fashion: The Painted Veil - W. Somerset Maugham

15 POINT TASKS
15.2 - Anzac: A.The Ghostwriter - John Harwood AND
B. A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway*

20 POINT TASKS
20.1 - Humor: Nightlight - A Parody - Harvard Lampoon
20.3 - Mental Illness:Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes*
20.7 - Declutter: Bloom - Elizabeth Scott Needed to toss out dead flowers

25 POINT TASKS
25.1 - Future: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot The picture on the front is of the woman who's cell became the first immortal human cell line grown in culture. They have been instrumental in numerous scientific breakthroughs and continuing medical research. I want to have a career in medicine, specifically on the laboratory/research side
25.9 - Spring Break: The Cider House Rules - John Irving graduated HS in 1998

30 POINT TASKS
30.1 - Roseann: A. SPRING: Demons in the Spring - Joe Meno
B. FLING, THROW, TOSS: Throw Like a Girl - Jean Thompson
30.5 (6 degrees) - Paper Towns - John Green & Something, Maybe - Elizabeth Scott
**The both participated in the NYC Teen Author Festival and attended the same reading

50 Pts
50.1 (dice): Deep River - Endo and Water for Elephants - Gruen
Yes, I honestly rolled a 7, which I was actually kind of bummed about. 1st roll was fantasy/sci fi (perfect for some of my LOST books) and 2nd roll was short stories, which I've really been getting into lately. Instead, I just wound up using two books that didn't fit anywhere else.

Total Points: 260

GR Authors: 4
Rebecca Skloot
Elizabeth Scott x 2
Sarah Addison Allen

Big Book:
The Woman in White - 500+ pages

Matthew | 83 comments Finished several tasks the past few days, and I want to get them in for the final total.

10.1 - Books really do grow on trees

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

10.5 - Freedom of the Press

The Truth by Terry Pratchett

10.8 - I could have gone on flying through space forever

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

20.7 - Declutter

I have a stack of old awards and certificates in my room, and I really need to organize them better than one pile. That being said, those same certificates helped get me accepted in Cornell University, an Ivy League School, so I read Hacking Harvard by Robin Wasserman

Old Points: 675
New Points: 50
Final Points: 725

message 2733: by Julia (new)

Julia | 41 comments I forgot to post the extra info for this task...

15.3 - At Least Once In A Lifetime
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert was on page 4 when I began reading it. I suppose the book deserves to be on the list if nothing else than for the history involved with the leper colony on Moloka'i. However, the book was only decent and not as good as other books (i.e. Honolulu) by Brennert. I think Les Miserables should be at the top of the list, because it has it all...action, sin, redemption, love, history--how could you go wrong with that coctail?

message 2732: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman Task 5.1--read a book with a bird in the title

I read Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China

Task 5.3--SPRING author

I read Phyllis Richman's
The Butter Did It

5 points for each task (10 points this post)

Rebecca MA (RebeccaMA) | 47 comments Task 50 Midway Task

Roll #1: 3 (Romance)
Roll #2: 4 (play)

Added together: 7= Lucky Sevens! Toss out the genres and read whatever you'd like!

I read In Too Deep by Jude Watson and The Viper's Nest by Peter Lerangis

Task 25.1 Future Aspirations
I read First Impressions by Nora Roberts. I chose this book because it is my dream to have a quiet land and home where you look out the window and all you can see is trees and everything is peaceful.

Task 25.5 Spring Cleaning

Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes (464 pages)

A Merry Heart by Wanda E. Brunstetter (288 pages)

The Black Circle by Patrick Carman (208 pages)
Total pages: 960

New points: 100
Total challenge points: 220

Kathy G. | 1646 comments I am truly finished. I just joined a couple of weeks ago or so. This was great. I'm all geared up for the Summer Challenge.

5.1 The Birds and the Bees
I Heard the Owl Call My Name: by Margaret Craven

Total Points: 70
Total Books Read: 6
Total Tasks Completed: 5
Total Pages Read: 1,461

message 2729: by Rach (new)

Rach | 137 comments One more task done! This will be it for me for the Spring Challenge. :)

25.4. Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach (my middle name is Marie)
AND Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

FINAL TOTALS:
Tasks completed: 17
Books read: 26
Pages read: 8,098

Congrats to everyone who finished this season's challenge!

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 481 comments Last check-in for me! I finished task 30.4 by reading The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America and The Sea of Monsters

Final Stats:
Total Points: 670
Books Read: 49
Tasks Completed: 36
Pages Read: 16,271

message 2727: by Katy (new)

Katy | 301 comments And, I'm an idiot - posted above without tallying or anything, but I will go ahead and add that should bring me to 380 points as my final total.

Let the summer begin! :)

message 2726: by Katy (new)

Katy | 301 comments All right, one last update before midnight (and, more importantly, bed!)

20.1 Reluctant Disciplinarian: Advice on Classroom Management From a Softy who Became (Eventually) a Successful Teacher - for a book on classroom management, this one is pretty hilarious, simply because the author is 100% honest about every last thing that took place in his first classroom. Cringe-worthy humor.

30.5 Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld - he is married to Justine Larbalestier who wrote Liar. Just one degree! :) Leviathan was awesome, by the way. Steampunk WWI alternate history was something new to me but I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read #2.

message 2725: by Cicek (new)

Cicek | 18 comments 20.6: H is for Homicide by Sue Grafton

I like the heroine in this series. She is a PI with a sarcastic sense of humor and she has problems getting in touch with her "feminine side." The plots are sometimes forced in my opinion, but I like the overall tone of the books.

50: I rolled a 4 and a 3 (lucky number seven), so I got to read whatever I wanted. I read:
The Source of Magic by Piers Anthony and Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.

5.10: Victorians. Read: The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

I am trying to finish the Golden Compass. I only have about 30 pages, so I think I'll be able to do it.

Kristal | 14 comments Sorry I'm late in updating here. The last few months have been super busy with moving and unpacking.

Task:
5.6-Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month
Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel by Amy Tan

5.9-Dorothea Dix
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert

10.2-3/4/5
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Average rating 3.98

10.4 Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
A) Reduce - Heartsick by Chelsea Cain
B) Reuse - Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
C) Recycle - Lucy Gets Her Life Back by Stef Ann Holm

10.5-Freedom of the Press
Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain. One of the main characters is a reporter.

15.6-Friends and Friends of Friends
A) The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
B) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (from Beverly A. Hale)

20.2-Clean Sweep
A) Second Hand by Michael Zadoorian. The main character must clean out his deceased parents home.
B) Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life by Deniece Schofield

25.1-Future Aspirations
Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! by Fannie Flagg. I would love to own a home one day.

25.5 Spring Cleaning
A) It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy by Michael Abrashoff 211 pages
B) Making Waves in Zion by Cassandra King 240 pages
C) Peyton Placeby Grace Metalious 512 pages
Total pages: 963 pages

30.5- 6 Degrees of Separation
A) Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.
Ms. Armstrong's literary agent is Helen Heller. Ms. Heller is also the agent for Ariana Franklin.
B) Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

Total Task Completed: 10
Total Points: 155
Total Pages read: 5533

Bridgit | 384 comments OK, last update. 20.4 - B One Hundred Years of Solitude and C Time and Again (NYC)

That should wrap me up at 840 points. Coulda finished, but decided to enjoy the gorgeous May weather. :)

Manday | 311 comments My last task to post - - I finished task 15.1. I read Dracula by Bram Stoker (who is from Romania), and Ulysses, which takes place in Ireland.

Needless to say, I have been working on this one for a long time and am SO proud to finally have finished Ulysses, which I actually started way back in January (don't worry, not half done by March 1st!!).

I finish the spring challenge with 31 books w/12068 pages and 430 points.

I also am claiming my 750-page big book ticket for Ulysses!!

Congratulations to everyone who finished and/or reached their goals!

message 2721: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments 25.9 Book by author popular when I was in high school (late 90s).
Isle Of Dogs by Patricia Cornwell

Time to plan for the summer challenge.

Belinda (BindyB) | 253 comments Lisa wrote: "@MS ANDERSON, PJREADS, SHEILA, CHERYL TX, DLMROSE, ASHLEY FL, WENDY, SANDY, DONNA JO, BELINDA, VALORIE, CORALIE, JENNIFER N, NICOLE OH, HELEN

Well done everyone! I'm looking forward to your tas..."

Thanks!!!

Amanda | 9 comments In May:

5.7 - Look Me In the Eye by John Elder Robinson (Asperger's)

25.7 - The Lightning Theif by Rick Riordan

25.8 - Marley and Me by John Grogan; The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

30.2 - 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass; The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

30.6 - Imagined London by Anna Quindlen; The Patriotic Murders by Agatha Christie

Previous Total: 235
May Total: 115

GRAND TOTAL: 350 (better than last time -- whoo hoo!)

Josalyn | 80 comments Here's my last minute entry. I just finished The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain The Prince and the Pauper (Penguin Classics) by Mark Twain for task 25.1. It has two little boys on the cover. I've always wanted four kids, two boys and two girls. I just had my second little girl, so we're keeping our fingers crossed...

325 points total

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Completed Tasks:

Task 20.3 - Amy MO – Mental Health: Total Constant Order by Crissa-Jean Chappell (5/27/10)
The main character in this book suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and WOW am I glad I'm not more OCD. The main girl was REALLY anxious, and the book made me really really anxious, too. I mean, I like to count things and make sure things are straight and stuff, but this girl was CLINICALLY OCD. It came as no surprise to me that OCD is genetic, but I learned that apparently they treat obsessive disorders with antiDEPRESSION medication, which seems WEIRD to me.
Task 25.5 - Leora – 850 pp own-to-read: The Ex Games by Jennifer Nichols (5/28/10) AND The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (5/31/10) AND Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (5/31/10) (302 + 196 + 402 = 900 pp)

Task 25.10 - Melissa GA – Book + Based on it (diff author): The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene (5/27/10) AND Doggone Town by Stefan Petrucha (5/23/10)
So I've been curious about the Nancy Drew graphic novels, so I took this opportunity to compare. The Secret of the Old Clock was REALLY good. It has all the classic qualities of a Nancy Drew book: a fun story line, lovable secondary characters, and just the right amount of coincidence to make the story semi-believable, but not TOTALLY far-fetched. Doggone Town, on the other hand... The story was just TOO simple and coincidental. The little dog who brings the mystery to Nancy just shows up in her room during a storm, climbing a tree to get up there? Yeah right. And the bad guy was SUPER obvious from the moment they stepped into the story. I mean the gray clothes and creepy demeanor were a dead giveaway, people. Try adding at least ONE plot twist or something! Maybe make the book 50 pages longer? Seriously.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT STATS
Tasks Completed: 43/57
Books Read: 61/79
Pages Read: 17,758
Points Earned: 765/980

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New GR Authors:
Crissa-Jean Chappell
Jennifer Echols
Diana Peterfreund

message 2716: by Katie (new)

Katie I finished 20.10c by reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and posting a rambly message in the discussion thread. My reaction to this book is kind of wishy-washy, I think because I'm feeling manipulated. I don't know. As I said in my review, I reserve the right to rescind my stars at any time.

I don't think I'm going to finish my other book before the end of the day. So, this is it for me! Hopefully I can do better in the next challenge.

Total Points: 165

High-fives to all you die-hard finishers (and to the certainly-came-close-ers, as well)! Oh, what the heck, the rest of you can have high-fives, too, because hooray books!

message 2715: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (Hsouthall) | 359 comments Lisa wrote: "@MS ANDERSON, PJREADS, SHEILA, CHERYL TX, DLMROSE, ASHLEY FL, WENDY, SANDY, DONNA JO, BELINDA, VALORIE, CORALIE, JENNIFER N, NICOLE OH, HELEN

Thanks much - this one was pretty large - I just got in "under the wire".

message 2714: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Nicole wrote: "It looks like we may not have any more finishers...or maybe just one more?

I can't wait to see the 20 point tasks. I just get so excited when a new task posts!!!!!!"

Me, too! C'mon, everyone! Don't give up! ^_^

message 2713: by Cynthia, The SCM (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Mod
Elizabeth (NC) wrote: "This is my last post.

If I'd read the whole time like I did this weekend, I might have finished, but then I probably wouldn't have a job anymore!

20.8 Girl's Guide to Witchcraft..."

Yes I do remember...it still seems crazy that it has gotten this big and that it's been 2 years since that first challenge.

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1623 comments "Lisa wrote: "@MS ANDERSON, PJREADS, SHEILA, CHERYL TX, DLMROSE, ASHLEY FL, WENDY, SANDY, DONNA JO, BELINDA, VALORIE, CORALIE, JENNIFER N, NICOLE OH, HELEN

Well done everyone! I'm looking fo..."

Lisa when did you sneak into my reading room to take that picture?

Nicole  | 117 comments Last post for me - congrats to everyone who finished or met their goals!
15.10 Breaking the Rules, which relates to my personal philosophy because I think you should examine all the rules and the things that the infamous "they" say and figure out what actually works for you, not automatically confirm to society's expectations.
20.9 The Virgin Blue (Blue Cheese!) I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as other books of hers that I've read.
25.1 Life of Pi by Yann Martel I don't want to go on a cruise exactly like the one in the book, but would love to be cruising soon!

Total points: 615

Shellie (Layers of Thought) (ShelliesShelves) This is my first (and last post) for this challenge. Its been a crazy season, and I almost skipped this time. It will be my fifth season for this challenge.

I read some great books this challenge!

5 Point Tasks:
5.3 Initials GS - Gary Stelzer The Cost of Dreams
5.9 Read in Bed - Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200:: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories by Lisa Lillian
5.10 Victorian Read - The Woman in White Wilkie Collins

10 Point Tasks:
10.4 Reuse and Recycle - Searching for Whitopia: An Improbable Journey to the Heart of White America by Rich Benjamin
10.6 And the Oscar goes to - The film UP with the book Keeper by Kathi Appelt.
The main character (a child) of the book and movie take a dangerous trip.
10.10 Fashion Fades - How Not to Look Fat Ever Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting by Charla Krupp (The word Dress)

15 Point Tasks:
15.10 Personal Philosophy - The Russian Dreambook of Color and Flight by Gina Oschner
One of my personal philosophies is that it is possible to access one's creativity via dreams and writing.

20 Point Tasks:
20.2 Clean Sweep - Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder
The main character is a "scrub" and cleans pipes in this young adult dystopian sci fi novel.
20.3 Mental Heath - Cursed by Jeremy C. Shipp
The main character is a recovering alcoholic. I did not learn anything new regarding alcoholism through this quirky and fun character.

25 Point Tasks:
25.1 Future Aspirations - I would like a new home. It would be great if it was fun too. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Allison Bechdel
25.5 Spring Cleaning - read 850 plus pages. I read the Moon Trilogy by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Life As We Knew It,The Dead and the Gone, and This World We Live In for a total of 1012 pages.

I read a total of 13 books for this challenge. My total number of points are 150.

Looking forward to this next challenge...Happy Summer Everyone!

[image error]

Nicole | 702 comments It looks like we may not have any more finishers...or maybe just one more?

I can't wait to see the 20 point tasks. I just get so excited when a new task posts!!!!!!

Judith | 47 comments Last one for spring, just under the wire.

15.3 At Least Once In A Lifetime

Midnight's Children

This is book number 495 on page 5 of the list. Although it took me forever to read this book, I absolutely think this a book everyone should read at least once. It is an amazing family saga that intertwines with the history of India. I learned so much from this book, often having to pull my atlas and search wikipedia to understand the context. (This added a lot to the entire enjoyment.)I have since recommended it to many people. It was great.

But I don't think it should be number one on this list. I would select Fahrenheit 451 as the number one book everyone should read at least once.

Total points for the challenge - 65

Deirdre (deirdre04) | 102 comments 10.3 Read a book by an author named Pat, Patrick, or Patricia.

I read Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English, Second Edition by Patricia O'Conner.

Total Points = 685

message 2706: by Ines (last edited May 31, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Ines (sai_) | 12 comments Task 15.9 - Previously completed. My chosen pseudonym would have to be Haruka Yumeni.

Task 20.3 - [Book: The Girl Who Played With Fire] - Stieg Larsson
The main character, Lisbeth Salander, is finally "diagnosed" with asperger's (or at least the other characters realize this is what she has). I didn't learn anything I didn't already know about the disorder, but in a nutshell, people with asperger's have difficulties with social interaction. Coupled with this, people with asperger's can manifest an incredible amount of intelligence directly related to a particular interest, for example, Lisbeth is incredibly logically and mathematically gifted: she can solve complex math puzzles and problems with ease, which, in turn, manifests itself through her hacking skills.

Task 25.5
Book 1: [Book: The Autumn of the Patriarch] - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (255 pages)
Book 2: [Book: Pirate Latitudes] - Michael Crichton (312 pages)
Book 3: [Book: Navy Wife] - Debbie Macomber (275 pages)
Book 3: [Book: The Struggle] - L.J. Smith (246 pages)
Total pages: 1,088

25.1 - [Book: Days of Gold] - Jude Devereaux

It may seem bizarre, but I would love to own a castle. Kind of those once-in-a-lifetime, win-the-lottery type of things. I'd like to own it as a sort of summer residence. The many that I've seen are all surrounded by sprawling landscapes, beautiful vistas; and they're all secluded. I would love a retreat like that that I could just escape to. It's like having a summer condo in Florida, but it's just a summer castle in France :)

Tasks Completed: 20
Pages Read: 8,798

message 2705: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CindyReeceakaLuLuBrown) | 15 comments NEW

20.1 April Fools Day - Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich
Who could be funnier then Stephanie Plum? Grandma Mazur robbing a graveyard – she’s gone past the viewings. I could just see everyone sitting on the couch at Joe’s and the look on his face. I really enjoyed this adventure.

25.7 The God’s Must be Crazy - The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Previously Reported:
5.7 The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry
10.1 The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
10.6 Push by Sapphire
10.7 No One Would Listen by Harry Markopolos
20.3 Something Missing by Matthew Dicks
20.6 Vendetta by Fern Michaels
25.4 Numbers by Rachel Ward (4/23/10) 324 pages
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
30.2 Someone Named Eva Joan M. Wolf – Texas Bluebonnet Award
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
– Texas Lone Star Reading List

Tasks Completed: 10
Points Earned: 175
Books Read: 12

Rachel (RandHrShipper1) | 68 comments Of course, these are my last points for this challenge too! I am happy with how many points I accumulated and can't wait for next season...which starts tomorrow!:D

I completed...

--15.4: A. The Deception of the Emerald Ring
B. A Long Fatal Love Chase
A. is by Lauren Willig, a GoodReads author.

and

--10.6: An Education.
The film An Education was based on part of this book and was nominated for Best Picture.

TOTALS:
POINTS= 340
BOOKS= 23 [big books: 2; GoodReads author books: 4]
TASKS= 16

message 2703: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 48 comments Finished:

25.5 - Leora's Task - Spring Cleaning
For this task you must read at least 850 pages from your TBR pile.

Read:
Boneshaker by Cherie Priest - GOODREADS AUTHOR
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned and Y: The Last Man Vol. 2: Cycles by Brian K. Vaughan

New Point Total: 140
Tasks Completed: 9
Books Read: 14
Pages Read: 3863

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments This is my last post.

If I'd read the whole time like I did this weekend, I might have finished, but then I probably wouldn't have a job anymore!

20.8 Girl's Guide to Witchcraft by Mindy Klasky (432 pages) and Moonlight on the Magic Flute by Mary Pope Osborne (128 pages). The Girl's Guide to Witchcraft was the very first book I finished this challenge and then evey other book I read with magic could fit somewhere else.

20.9 (type of cheese) Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart. Not nearly as good as her Arthur books.

10.10 (type of clothing) Al Capone Shines My Shoes Gennifer Choldenko is a Goodreads author

and 50 point--I rolled a 3 and a 4 so I get to fill in whatever I want. I read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and Ralph S. Mouse

That gives me
525 points
10953 pages read

My personal best point wise. (Cynthia, remember way back to the very first challenge, when the whole thing was done in about 90 posts??)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2696 comments Lisa wrote: "@MS ANDERSON, PJREADS, SHEILA, CHERYL TX, DLMROSE, ASHLEY FL, WENDY, SANDY, DONNA JO, BELINDA, VALORIE, CORALIE, JENNIFER N, NICOLE OH, HELEN

Thanks, Lisa. Great picture. It looks like my house.

Kathryn (Kathryn_Currie) 15.9: Read a novel published under a pseudo name, and state what your name would be

I read Persuasion by Jane Austen. Jane Austen published under the name “a lady”. My pen name would be Eve W. Haggart, because my father joked about called me Haggart Eve.

20.7: Throw something away, and then read about it

I got rid of my collection of Buffy the Vampire Slayer books, so I read Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer, which features vampires.

20.8: Read a book where magic, a magician, or an escape is a prominent feature.

I read Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind. The main characters of this book are two magicians and a confessor (also a magic being), magic plays a role by keeping one of the main characters trapped, and they also escape from captivity at the palace of the prophets! I thought it was neat that the book had all three.

25.2: Read both the first book of an author and then the second, state which you preferred, and why

For this challenge I read Wizards First Rule and The Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind.

I greatly preferred The Stone of Tears, because I feel like the authors writing really took off and he came in to his own during the Stone of Tears. I felt that overall the plot was more advanced, the characters more vivid, and the fantasy world more real.

30.1: Spring Fling – read a book with the world spring in the title and read a book with fling, throw, or toss in the title.

I read Vicious Spring by Hollis Hampton Jones and The Throw Away Bride by Ann Major

This brings my totals to:

110 New points
240 total points

Luculus 20.9 - Luck Of The Draw - Rebecca - A Really Cheesy Task
April is National Grilled Cheese month. In honor of this unusual day, select a book that has either the word cheese or a type of cheese in the title: blue, cottage, cream, swiss, etc.

The Empire of Ice Cream by Jeffrey Ford

20.6 - Supporting Goodreads Authors - Bridgit - Favorite Series
Read a book from your favorite series.

Changes by Jim Butcher

Dresden Files is one of the oldest (and best) urban fantasy series around. The plot is pretty standard (a wizard/PI protects his hometown from all sorts of monsters and villains using magic, wit and snarky answers) but brilliant characterization and sense of humor place it among the top of the subgenre. Plus, book seven features Sue the Zombie T-Rex. I rest my case :)

5.6 - May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month
To celebrate this month read a novel that takes place in a Asian/Pacific county, that features an Asian/Pacific American character, or written by an Asian/Pacific American author.

Killing Rain by Barry Eisler

The novel takes place in Malaysia, Thailand, Japan and China. Also, the main character is half-Japanese, half-American.

50 POINT MIDWAY TASK - MS ANDERSON - LUCK BE A LADY

I rolled 2 and 5, and chose the following two books:

Rain Storm by Barry Eisler
The God Engines by John Scalzi

Task points: 95
Total points: 290
Tasks finished: 13

Jayme VA | 699 comments Done for the spring challenge. Thanks for everything you do Cynthia! New task in bold. Should have 235 points.

10.5: The White Mary: A Novel by Kira Salek

15.3 Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck

This was on page 5. The book that should be on the top of the list is...I think I will go with my favorite Hemingway here- Islands in the Stream : A Novel. I've always loved this book and have read it many times. It has so many important messages in it and covers a lot of info. I usually recommend this on and Song of Solomon as my two favorites.

15.10 The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
This reflects a philosophy of life that I need to do better at. It talks about accepting people and life for who they are and enjoying the moment you're in and not worrying about the future.

20.6 Knit Two by Kate Jacobs
This is the second book related to the ladies of the Friday Night Knitting Club. It is about the power of friendship and getting back to the important things in life and I highly recommend these books.

20.7: Sepulchre by Kate Moss
Book related to music and I really need to clean out my CDs!
20.9 The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss
This took me forever!

25.4 Serendipity: A Novel by Louise Shaffer Ozma of Oz by L Frank Baum

My middle name is Louise and the more I read the Oz books, the more I love them!

25.7: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

25.9: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
This book was really great. One of my favorites this year! The Shopaholic series was really popular when I was in college. I highly recommend Kinsella's books!

30.5: A. Last Night at the Lobster by Steward O'Nan and B. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill.
Stewart O'Nan cowrote Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season with Stephen King. King is Joe Hill's father.
30.6: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford and The Tragedy of King Richard III by Shakespeare

Loved my first Thursday Next book. Returning to Shakespeare not so fun.

message 2697: by Neesee (last edited May 31, 2010 02:55PM) (new)

Neesee | 27 comments 50 Point Task - I rolled a 2 (graphic novel) and a 5 (historical fiction), which equals 7, so I got to read what I wanted. I read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and William McKinley.

Points - 80
Books - 6
Tasks - 4

Patricia | 402 comments I completed task 30.4 - DLM Rose's Task - One if by Land, Two if by Sea by reading:

A - Island by Aldous Huxley
B - The Sea by John Banville

Total points = 160

Completed Tasks:
10.5 - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
10.6 - Push by Sapphire
15.6 - One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez AND Siddhartha An Indian Tale by Hermann Hesse
20.1 - The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers: An Unconventional Memoir by Josh Kilmer-Purcell
25.1 - Continental Drift by Russell Banks
25.4 - The Saving Graces: A Novel by Patricia Gaffney AND Sophie's Choice by William Styron
25.5 - Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
30.4 - Island by Aldous Huxley AND The Sea by John Banville

Thanks for a great challenge Cynthia! Congrats to all those who finished!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 54 55