The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.3 (Coralie's Task - Coming Out Of Hibernation)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 123) (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments 25.3 - Coralie's Task - Coming Out Of Hibernation
Attend a live sporting event or musical or drama event and read a book that is somehow connected to the event. I don't care how major or minor the event is as long as it is outside your home and involves a live performance.
For example, if I attend the soccer game between Melbourne Victory (my local team) and Seong Nam (from Korea), I could read a book about soccer, with Victory in the title, set in Korea or set in the docklands of Melbourne where the game is being played.

message 2: by Liz M (last edited Feb 27, 2010 06:46AM) (new)

Liz M So, if I go out to see a musical (Wicked) based on a book (Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West) can I read another book by the same author (Son of a Witch)?

message 3: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Does attending a sporting event also extend to participating in one (like running in a race)?

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1422 comments Thank God the musicals for my district are in March this year instead of February. Off to find some books about musicals~

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) | 216 comments Does going to see a live band count? I'm going to see the Stereophonics on 11 March :D and I have a biography of the band I'm waiting to read ...

message 6: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (Polly8) | 114 comments I'm going to Disneyland at the end of March would it be okay to read a disney related book?

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 967 comments Any ideas on how to connect a book to a concert (other than read a book about the performer)?

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) SuzieR wrote: "Does going to see a live band count? I'm going to see the Stereophonics on 11 March :D and I have a biography of the band I'm waiting to read ..."

Oh, I hope so! I'm going to see Muse and Silversun Pickups in April. :o)

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 967 comments It says musical- I took that to mean anything involving musical- not just a play with music. She also states any live performance works so long as it is out of the house. I uncharacteristically have no live events lined up (we just went to a concert recently that cost a bundle) so I was going to go watch some live local music at the Farmer's market since it's free.

Coralie: I take it that counts if i am understanding correctly? Let me know!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) Cait - I am too!! I can't wait. Where are you seeing them? I'm seeing them in Vegas.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) I'm going read Squeeze Play because I'm going to watch my brother's team play in a slow pitch softball tournament. I hope a baseball book is close to count for slow pitch softball.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess (thunderday) | 38 comments Would a horse show count as a live sporting event?

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra Ooooh....we've got tickets to see Fiddler On The Roof in March!
If I use this as my outing, I could read a book set in pre-Revolutionary Russia (or would that be any book set in Russia, regardless of time frame?) or featuring Jews or Judaism, regardless of setting, right?

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments What if your not involved with anything like this?

message 15: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1271 comments And ... we're going to the Shakespeare's Tavern to see "Taming of the Shrew" in April! Yes! Now for the second part of the task .... let's see ... Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare by Stephen Greenblatt (non-fiction about Shakespeare); The Bawdy Basket by Edward Marston (part of a series about an Elizabethen-era London-based acting troupe); Ill Met by Moonlight by fantasy writer Sarah Hoyt (though I'm not sure if this novel is fantasy); there must be more.

message 16: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Umm, got a problem hon. I am not able to make these sort of trips as I have 3 kids and nothing was planned for the 3 months.

message 17: by Petra (new)

Petra Fiona, how about a kid's sports game or dance/music recital or concert? I think (but Coralie would need to confirm) that this would be a form of getting out of the house and a live performance?

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 9656 comments Mod
Would a live lecture work?

message 19: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Nicole wrote: "Any ideas on how to connect a book to a concert (other than read a book about the performer)?"
I would think that any book involving music would work? If you know the type of music or band name, I can ask my brother. He's a composer and a BIG reader, so he is bound to have all kinds of ideas.

Two of my kids are in the Cinderella kids musical in May. So I guess it is another Cinderella re-write for me! (I used
Just Ella in the Winter Challenge!)

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 611 comments Petra wrote: "Fiona, how about a kid's sports game or dance/music recital or concert? I think (but Coralie would need to confirm) that this would be a form of getting out of the house and a live performance?"

I hope kids' sporting events count, because that's about as big as my events get these days.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments What if you have no kids and many places you can not go to because of your panic attacks? So I miss out on this challenge?

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie I second Dlmrose's question about the lecture. (Can you second a question?)

message 23: by Beth F. (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 513 comments I'm operating under the assumption that kids' events count...the task is written to include "minor" outings so it would make sense that they'd count.

I have a 4-month old so when I read this, I immediately thought about a concert in the park or a kids' relay event or soccer game at the elementary school down the street because those are things I can do with a baby in tow and not get dirty looks if she starts to fuss.

As for which book to pair that with, no clue yet. I'll keep my eyes open for something once a suitable event crops up. :)

message 24: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Umm, got a problem hon. I am not able to make these sort of trips as I have 3 kids and nothing was planned for the 3 months."

If you take your kids to the park and watch them play, or play with them, that will count. I am very flexible.
Paticipating counts, live bands count, free musical events count - I don't expect you all to go out and spend lots of money - a horse show would count and I'll even count a lecture.

message 25: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Sarah wrote: "What if you have no kids and many places you can not go to because of your panic attacks? So I miss out on this challenge?"

Sarah, it doesn't have to be a great event with lots of people. If you can't manage watching people, could you manage a nice quiet trip to the park (or somewhere) and watch the birds or other animals at play (I don't know what is available where you are).

message 26: by Kim D (last edited Feb 27, 2010 03:18PM) (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 188 comments My husband and I attend a beer tasting/talk every month. Could I use that?

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Oh I thought it had to be something big. I love going on park picnics and getting out in the open each month. I also love playing games with my friends we have a game night each night. I was also under the impression that it had to be something we watch.

message 28: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Kim wrote: "My husband and I attend a beer tasting/talk every month. Could I use that?"
Yes, that's fine.

message 29: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 251 comments Petra wrote: "Ooooh....we've got tickets to see Fiddler On The Roof in March!
If I use this as my outing, I could read a book set in pre-Revolutionary Russia (or would that be any book set in Russia, regardles..."

That was a good play!! enjoy it!

message 30: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 251 comments I'm going to see cirqu di soliel next week...so would a book about a circus or something be ok? (like water for elephants?)

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 967 comments So what sorts of books would I be looking for if I was going to see some live music? I will either see some local people here in Columbus or see my friend play in NYC. If I do the latter, could I read a book about musicians who live in NYC?

Would any book about musicians work or would the link need to be stronger? I am still a little unsure of the parameters we are working with here.

Could I read a book with a word from the band's name in it's title?
What about by an author that has the same name as someone in the group I see?

thanks!

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments What if you participate in a book club each month? Could this count as coming out of hibernation? I too do not attend sporting events or have the money to see a concert, musical, sporting event etc. Could I read a book that is about friends getting together once a month like for a girls night out or even a book club?

message 33: by Petra (new)

Petra Petra wrote: "Ooooh....we've got tickets to see Fiddler On The Roof in March!
If I use this as my outing, I could read a book set in pre-Revolutionary Russia (or would that be any book set in Russia, regardles..."

Coralie, I think these questions got missed.

Would I be able to read any book set in Russia or just pre-revolutionary Russia?

If I read a book that was focussed on a Jewish character, would the setting need to be Russia or could it be anywhere?

Thanks!

message 34: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Nicole wrote: "So what sorts of books would I be looking for if I was going to see some live music? I will either see some local people here in Columbus or see my friend play in NYC. If I do the latter, could I r..."

I would prefer the link to be a bit stronger than just musicians. Musicians who played the same instrument or sort of music would be enough. Musicians in the same city works fine.
The band's name in the title works.
An author with the same name as a band member also works.

message 35: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Petra wrote: "Petra wrote: "Ooooh....we've got tickets to see Fiddler On The Roof in March!
If I use this as my outing, I could read a book set in pre-Revolutionary Russia (or would that be any book set in Rus..."

I would accept a book set in Russia - not fussed about when. I would accept a book about a Jewish character set anywhere. Or you could read a book about disintegration of traditions or other themes in the musical.

message 36: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Tracey wrote: "I'm going to see cirqu di soliel next week...so would a book about a circus or something be ok? (like water for elephants?)"

Yes, that would be fine.

message 37: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Angela wrote: "What if you participate in a book club each month? Could this count as coming out of hibernation? I too do not attend sporting events or have the money to see a concert, musical, sporting event etc..."

I would like to draw the line at bookclubs as I'm looking at something outside of reading. Do you have any free events in your area? I'm happy to count buskers in the street as musical events or children playing in the park as sporting events.

message 38: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Liz wrote: "Cait - I am too!! I can't wait. Where are you seeing them? I'm seeing them in Vegas."

That's awesome! I'm seeing them at Key Arena in Seattle. Are they playing at Mandalay in Vegas? I'm so excited! We'll have to be sure and compare notes. :o)

message 39: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Coralie - as far as reading a book written by someone with the same name as a band member, are we talking first or last name, or both first and last name? Thanks!

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments So if you have no kids??? Just show up at a some random game they are playing. Sorry Coralie, but a beer tasting is okay but bookclubs no? I would personally think that bookclubs would be more acceptable over a beer tasting event...

message 41: by Petra (new)

Petra Coralie wrote: "I would accept a book set in Russia - not fussed about when. I would accept a book about a Jewish character set anywhere. Or you could read a book about disintegration of traditions or other themes in the musical...."

Super, Coralie!! Thanks! Great task, by the way.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments So if I went to the park and had a picnic and fed the ducks while watching the birds and other critters play could I read a book with either park, picnic, duck or bird(s) in the title?

Or if I took my dogs to the dog park could I read a book with dog in the title?

message 43: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Cait wrote: "Coralie - as far as reading a book written by someone with the same name as a band member, are we talking first or last name, or both first and last name? Thanks!"

I would like both first and last name, or at least similar names.

message 44: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1068 comments Sarah wrote: "So if I went to the park and had a picnic and fed the ducks while watching the birds and other critters play could I read a book with either park, picnic, duck or bird(s) in the title?

Or if I to..."

I would prefer the book to be about ducks, birds or dogs rather than just in the title. I know I'm being a bit nitpicky here but I have to draw the line somewhere.

message 45: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Coralie wrote: "Cait wrote: "Coralie - as far as reading a book written by someone with the same name as a band member, are we talking first or last name, or both first and last name? Thanks!"

I would like both ..."

Not a problem! Instead, I think I'll use the band name.

I'm going to see Muse next month, and I will read The Muse Asylum. Not only does my library have two copies, but it looks really good too. :o)

message 46: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 923 comments I am going to go see Legally Blonde: The Musical. Since Elle Woods was a part of a soroity, could I read a book that has a soroity in it?

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 967 comments my friend's group is called Stone Arabia...can I do a book with just Stone in the title?

I am either going that route or will find a book by someone that plays the same instrument as she does (or someone else I happen to see, however it ends ups working out since I am not going to count on seeing her until I know it works).

Do both of those work as possible options?

If I were to go the set in NYC route, could it be about any type of musicians/musical scene?

Thanks for answering all of my questions! This task is making me think harder than some of the others!

message 48: by Rach (new)

Rach | 137 comments Cait wrote: "Liz wrote: "Cait - I am too!! I can't wait. Where are you seeing them? I'm seeing them in Vegas."

That's awesome! I'm seeing them at Key Arena in Seattle. Are they playing at Mandalay in Vega..."

Hey, I'm going, too! So funny! :)

message 49: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Rachel wrote: "Hey, I'm going, too! So funny! :) "

Ok Rachel, just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any more awesome... :o)

message 50: by Katy (new)

Katy | 353 comments Ok, so I'm going to be seeing Hair (the musical) sometime soon. Would I then read a book about musicals or would I go for a book about/set in the 60s, or about the Vietnam war protests, or something like that?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Son of a Witch (other topics)
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (other topics)
Squeeze Play (other topics)
Ill Met by Moonlight (other topics)
The Bawdy Basket (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tim O'Brien (other topics)
Philip Gulley (other topics)