Steampunk, New Weird, Bizarro, Scifi, Fantasy Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Group Business > What's Everyone Reading That's Good (or not)?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 521) (521 new)    post a comment »

Amanda Just wondering what y'all are reading lately.

I'm in love with Stephen Hunt's 4th book, actually his whole series set in this world, Secrets of the Fire Sea which i'm currently reading. this set of books has become one of my all-time fav's. People seem to either love them or hate them mostly from the reviews i've seen though. IMO they're absolutely excellent! this book is the main reason why i've been so slow reading our february book. I'm going to start Eifelheim very soon though so i won't have the same problem for March. Can't wait, i hope it's good!

A bizzaro book i'm reading that's pretty good is Slaughtermatic. it took me a bit to get into his style, but i'm really liking it now.

Also reading The Windup Girl, but it's been slow going also for the reason stated above.

Chakara | 1448 comments Mod
Im reading or trying to read Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine its really slow and i dont want to read it but i think it will be good the book only had like 200 pages the chapters are to long and the main person of the book is soo annoying and stupid LOL.

Im thinking about starting Wings or reading some of Harry Potter

Julia | 96 comments I have just finished the amazing collection of Newford short stories Muse and Reverie by Charles de Lint.

Before that I read #2 Poltergeist in the Harper Blaine series by Kat Richardson. It was better than #1, but not as good as the novella in Mean Streets.

Now I am reading Connie Willis' new time travel novel Blackout.
PoltergeistBlackout

I returned glass houses i couldnt get into it with all the things going on with me lately I need a page turner and that wasnt it for me.

Amanda yeah, i'd have done the same thing- why keep reading something that's supposed to be for enjoyment if ur not enjoying it?

finally got frostbite in from the library after being number one in place for like 3 weeks i was starting to think it would never come

So I stayed up until 5 am and finished City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare the way it ended was eeeh. Hopefully City of Glass is even better so far in the series City of Bones is my Fav. This is Also part of my March Challenge and 50 Book Challenge and Series Yearly Challenge so WOOO.

So I finished Wings and Im still working on The Goose Girl along with A Great and Terrible Beauty and I also need to start working on Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban before its due at the library.

Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling

Amanda Started An Alien Heat last night not to far into it yet. I'm so disappointed that i had avoided Moorcock for so long because i recently readThe Nomad of Time , which includes three novels based around the character Oswald Bastable and it was amazing

I got bored last night when my intrenet was out and started reading The Hunger Games I have 7 more chapters.

Amanda How is it going? How come ur internet went out?

we had a storm and the Hunger Games is really good. Cant wait to finish it.

message 13: by Chakara (last edited Mar 15, 2010 03:40PM) (new)

I just finished the Hunger Games it was really good and im putting the second and thrid books on my to read list. Now im back to reading The goose girl and A Great and Terrible Beauty.
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray

K i havent been reading in the last few days smh alot of personal stuff has been going on . but today some books came in from the library for me. A Wind In The Door, Dead Until Dark,How to write science fiction and fantasy,and Wicked Lovely.
A Wind in the Door (Time, #2) by Madeleine L'Engle Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) by Charlaine Harris Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Children of the Mind (Ender's Saga, #4) by Orson Scott Card

Amanda Has anyone read Last Dragon? Was just wondering ur opinion if anyone has. A couple of my friends thought it was great. i haven't read it yet

I just won the Fablehaven Box Set by Brandon Mull :) yay

Krista | 102 comments Nice, Chakara!

Amanda > Nope. You'll have to let us know what you think of it.

message 18: by Krista (last edited Mar 22, 2010 01:56PM) (new)

Krista | 102 comments Currently reading The Aspern Papers by Henry James. What I really wanted to pick up and start reading yesterday was The Lightning Thief (our Feb read). Oh, the joys of Lit Theory!

Amanda Chakara wrote: "I just won the Fablehaven Box Set by Brandon Mull :) yay"

Cool, where did u win it from?

Amanda Krista wrote: "Currently reading The Aspern Papers by Henry James. What I really wanted to pick up and start reading yesterday was The Lightning Thief (our Feb read). Oh, the joys of Lit Theory!"

My boyfriend listened to James's The Turn of the Screw on audio. I asked him if it was good but he said he can't remember. Guess it wasn't to memorable for him

Krista | 102 comments I've read worse than Henry James, so I guess I shouldn't complain. I'm just in the mood for something light, easy and fun. Since I have to have The Aspern Papers done by tomorrow, I should get my wish by Wednesday. :-)

Amanda wrote: "Chakara wrote: "I just won the Fablehaven Box Set by Brandon Mull :) yay"

Cool, where did u win it from?"

I forget the actually site but you go on there and leave ur comments of what you think of books and you can apply to win books from authors.

Mike Riley | 46 comments Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon HaleBook of a Thousand Days (Shannon Hale)

I just finished this the other day after seeing it mentioned in this forum. I surprised myself by liking it quite a bit!

I have a review on file (with lots of spoilers!)

This story would make a terrific movie!

(BTW I read this on my Kindle, which I got for Christmas. The Kindle did some odd things to the text. Does anyone else here use a Kindle?)

Krista | 102 comments Sorry, no Kindle for me.

Amanda me neither. i want to get one sometime but i also love the feel of a real book

I read and finished yesterday Frostbite the 2nd Vampire Academy book. It was really good took me less than 24 hrs ! Im now trying my best to read Dead Until Dark By Charlaine Harris but the chapters are about 50 pgs each its really annoying because i can tell where the chapter should have been broken up into other chapters.
Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)  by Richelle Mead Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) by Charlaine Harris

Nicole (satori1977) | 2 comments I just started reading Steamed by Katie MacAlister, a steampunk romance. She has a bunch of UF and different types of romances. This is my first steampunk novel, and I am really loving it!

Last night i finally finished A Great and Terrible beauty it was good. I am now listening to Maximum Ride The Angel Experiment and reading The Coven and Lament.

I finished The Coven and it was really good. I am not reading like seven books I couldnt decide what to read first so im just reading 50 pages a day from each or so. Catching Fire is soo good Deadly little Secrets is also pretty good Im also reading the Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan.

Krista | 102 comments Reading Winter's Tale. It was published in 1980, IIRC, and could be considered a hybrid of steampunk and magical realism. The setting is 90% New York City. There's a horse who seems capable of near magical feats (jumping several city blocks at once) and a thief who falls in love with a wealthy girl who is dying of Tuberculosis. It's heavy on the description, which isn't usually my thing, but I'm actually enjoying it.

Julia | 96 comments I'm reading Where Angels Fear to Tread #3 in the Remy Chandler series. And I'm loving it.

Before that a memoir of a tour of duty in Iraq from a man who was a teenager there. A Jewish folktale possesses the body of an ex-GI's dummy. A 17 year old spends a week with Orson Welles and the Mercury Theater in 1937.
Ghosts of War  The True Story of a 19-Year-Old GI by Ryan Smithson* The Entertainer and the Dybbuk by Sid Fleischman* Me and Orson Welles by Robert Kaplow

Krista | 102 comments Still working on Winter's Tale. It's a strange book and I'm not quite sure why I'm still reading when there's not really any tension forcing me to turn the pages. I'm about 300 pages in and I'm still waiting for the central conflict to take center stage.

Beautiful Dead was okay but it wasnt awesome so I put it down and I have 9 more chapters to read in Shadow Kiss. Its a Awesome series :)

WOOWWWW I FINISHED IT AND I HAVE TO SAY ROSE IS THE MOST UN ANNOYING BAD ASS CHARACTER IVE READ ABOUT IN A LONG TIME ESP. THAT'S FEMALE.

Julia | 96 comments Nobody's put anything here for awhile and I've recently read some very good books. There's a review by me for each of these books.

* Marcelo In The Real World Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork

*Briar Rose Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

* Unwind Unwind by Neal Shusterman

* Skeleton Man Skeleton Man by Joseph Bruchac

* The Sky Is Everywhere The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

* Boy Toy Boy Toy by Barry Lyga

* Thirteen Reasons Why Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

This Month so far Ive read about 5 books
Wicked Lovely
Hush,Hush
Shadow Kiss
Blood Promise
Ink Exchange

They were all pretty good although Blood Promise was prob not as good as the previous books in the VA series.

I am now reading Fragile Eternity 3rd book in the Wicked Lovely Series. A Game of Thrones,Heist Society and Magic Study.

Heist Society is not that good Idk how much longer I will give the book before I but it on the backsies :)

Krista | 102 comments Almost done with Winter's Tale. Inf act, I'm hoping to finish it today!

Amanda Krista wrote: "Almost done with Winter's Tale. Inf act, I'm hoping to finish it today!"

Saw ur review, sorry to hear u didn't like this one very much. Hopefully ur next read'll be more fun! ;>

Amanda Just started Wolfe's new book The Sorcerer's House. not too far into it but it's great so far. Not very similar to anything else i've read by him, but i've only read, i think, 4 of his books out the the multitude he's published

message 40: by Krista (last edited May 26, 2010 11:53AM) (new)

Krista | 102 comments Just startedSinger: Waken. Here's some fun facts about the book:

1. It's a self-pub.

2. I have no idea who the author is. Not a friend or relative. (I'd disclose if I knew her.)

3. I wanted to check out LuLu.com's POD quality, so I went browsing their SciFi/Fantasy titles.

4. Selected this title mostly because the price was right. ($6 range instead of $25 range)

5. Started the book last night and am already halfway done with it.

6. It's YA.

7. The quality of the book is pretty good. Decent binding. Easy to read font. Nice layout.

8. It's actually a pretty good story! Never know how a self-pub is going to turn out, so it's a gamble. I'm happy that the only complaint I have so far is with a couple of typos she missed during revision/editing.

9. I can live with typos.

10. Okay, so there's one misused word. Imitate vs. Intimidate. I'm chalking it up to a typo...

11. I'm hoping to finish it tonight!

Krista

Amanda Wow! the description of this does sound really cool Krista!

Krista | 102 comments Finished! And it was pretty good. Only problem? I discovered it's "Book One". I would rather have had the whole story all at once.

Now I'm moving on to The Road.

I figure I'll finish it just in time to start Geek Love.

Amanda I'm pretty excited to start Geek love, since it's our first book that's at least semi-bizzaro. I'm a bit worried that i have so many books going already though. I forgot that i was gonna start Geek Love in a few days and ended up starting The Sorcerer's House last night

Krista | 102 comments I just ordered it today on Amazon. Looking forward to participating in another group read. :-)

Im still slowly reading A game of Thrones its okay but just like everyone else I have alot of books going at once. I just started Magic Study by Maria Snyder the 2nd book in the study series.Im also reading Fragile Eternity and Starting Impossible soon.

Carl Ingebretsen (watchingpreacher) I'm getting ready to read The Lightning Thief after finishing Gene Wolfe's THE SORCERER'S HOUSE, which was great, although I feel that I missed some of the details, so I'll begin re-reading it soon. After The Lightning Thief, I'll try to get through "At the Mountains of Madness", while waiting for the new Darren Shan book "The Thin Executioner" which I ordered today. (I really fuckin' love Darren Shan) When I get some money together, I will once again return to the SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT-novels, which is a great YA-read, just as good as Harry Potter, perhaps even better.

Carl Ingebretsen (watchingpreacher) Finished with The Lightning Thief. It was MUCH better than I thought. Really good read.

Now getting to THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins. Lovecraft will have to wait.

Also ordered all the Skulduggery Pleasant-books. They are so goddamn amazing. I can't wait to get back to them. :)

Hunger Games is so Awesome and Catching Fire :)

Carl Ingebretsen (watchingpreacher) Yeah, it's much much better than I thought it would be. :)

lol glad to know that

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Steampunk, New Weird, Bizarro, Scifi, Fantasy...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Windup Girl (other topics)
Eifelheim (other topics)
Slaughtermatic (other topics)
Secrets of the Fire Sea (other topics)
Glass Houses (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kelly Link (other topics)
John Scalzi (other topics)
Terry Pratchett (other topics)