Goodreads Feedback discussion

Announcements > sneak peak: book compatibility test

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4166 comments Mod
Last week I had fun whipping up a book compatibility test. It's mostly intended for newer members, but is kind of fun all the same.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/compati...

This is still in development, but please let me know if anything looks off. Also, the books used are a set list - recommendations for changes would be most welcome!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8279 comments Love the idea. But just from playing around for the few minutes I had right now, in every instance, my book compatibility with friends is way, way down. Don't like that part; it doesn't seem as accurate as the compare books feature that we've had.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments It seems to think that "no vote" and "one star" are excellent, compatibility-wise, but "no vote" and "five stars" are very bad....

Also, I'm rather curious as to how these books were chosen for each category! Are these the oftenest-rated books on Goodreads?

message 4: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

The books were chosen by looking at the most popular lists and making some editorial decisions. That being said, it was done quickly so I expect it to need to change.

message 5: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 336 comments Interesting -- didn't have time to really play with a lot at the moment but it looks promising, I think.

message 6: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11294 comments Mod
It's a very clever notion, and visually it's very nicely done. :)

The trouble is, for those of us with very few of the "typical" books -- or very few of them in common with our friends -- it comes up with very low compatibility scores.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but one little bug is that every book has a "Want to Read" button next to it, regardless of whether you have already read the book or not.

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 108 comments Don't get the bar graphs. How can it give me sizeable ratings for chicklit and romance when I've never read a one of them?

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8279 comments You know, I'd also add a childrens/young adult category (& books?) as they seem to be very popular on this site.

message 10: by Charity (new)

Charity (bigbookslut) | 244 comments Yeah...not really accurate. My brother joined but does not have any books added to his profile yet...it claims we are 19% compatible. :-)

message 11: by Maria M. (new)

Maria M. Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 371 comments Love the idea! Facebook has something similar with movies, so I'm thrilled to see this book comparison.

Like the others said - not rated should probably result in a N/A result as "Not rated" vs 5 stars is currently "Very bad" which makes no sense at all. A "Not interested" would be great though.

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 23 comments The site that has the similar test is www.flixster.com People can/are accessing it THROUGH Facebook, but it's not BY Facebook. (I use it too)

But I am not sure if it's as applicable for books. Maybe I am wrong. But I haven't read many of the books on the list.

If it were like the Flixster test, it might include a "not interested" button. (I didn't notice one). That would probably help with the results. I am not interested in MOST of the books on the list.

Another option would be to do something similar to the compare books button on the profiles. Instead of comparing by a "popular" list, have them start off by comparing to our list.

message 13: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Hi Abigail,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess we figured if you have read a book and given it a rating there is no reason it shouldn't show up on your shelves. But we will try to make that more clear.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary | 69 comments
I have a friend with zero books and zero ratings, yet the test claims he's rated several books in several different ways, and that we have a compatibility of 13%.

message 15: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 402 comments I have no interest in romances or chick lit. Most of my friends have been added through science fiction and fantasy groups. When I do a "Compare Books" on the profiles of these friends, we get anywhere from 80-95% compatibility. For the friend that I have a 95% compatibility with, this test showed 20% compatibility.

message 16: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (AFDerrick) | 16 comments interesting but it doesn't seem much different than the compare books link for most sites. I would rather see something where I put in for my books and it matches me with strangers (but this might make it look too much like a dating service). I would be interested to see who I might have a 75% compatability with and see what books they have highly rated that I may not know about and then it's a new way to find books, does that make sense?

message 17: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 402 comments Derrick, that makes perfect sense. I'd like to see something like that too. (But, I don't need or want a dating service. My husband would be very unhappy.)

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose | 103 comments I second Derrick and Sandi. I don't have any friends on GR and feel like I'm not making the most of its features but am not all that sure how to find people with similar tastes to me.

message 19: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (AFDerrick) | 16 comments Sandi, I wouldn't want to use it as a dating service either, I think my wife would be equally upset at me. I just thought it sounds like one and watch it end up being use as one. I just want to use it to find books I would otherwise know nothing about.

For Elizabeth, that's one I've been doing but it seems like such a shot in the dark if there could be a tool created to do it for us (I'm lazy, rather spend more time reading than shuffling through GR, love GR, but love reading more, right?)

message 20: by Gracee (new)

Gracee  | 27 comments Rose, I'd be interested in what books you like to read, and wanted to check it out, but your profile is set to "private".

There have been a couple of people that I'd really like to see what their reading, compare books and all, but I can't. :( They're private.

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments I also would love to find strangers who have similar tastes to me. I think it would be a great way to find more books, and possibly ones you've never heard of. I think one of the other book sites might have this feature, and I was hoping that Goodreads would too when I joined recently. I would imagine that it's not easy from a programming angle, but a 'Goodreads Recommends' feature would also be great. As in, "based on your favorite books, you might also like X." Visual Bookshelf (an application on Facebook) does this well.

message 22: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 6 comments Annie, I don't know if you've checked it out, but over at the "Next Best Best Book Club" we have a thread going where group members will look through your books and then recommend various reads to you. We've generally got very diverse tastes and I've yet to be recommended a dissatisfying read from it.

message 23: by Rose (new)

Rose | 103 comments I'll set my profile to public and see how it goes!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8279 comments Rose, You haven't rated any of your books so it's hard for people to compare books with you or know what you might like, or for GR to know what your taste is.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie | 13 comments I, too, would love a feature where I could find people with similar tastes to mine. The Listopia thing seems to be working that way, but it's not a very efficient solution.

Of course, if I found people with similar tastes, it would just mean I'd have MORE books in my to-read pile, which is already about to topple and smother me!

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8279 comments it would just mean I'd have MORE books in my to-read pile, which is already about to topple and smother me!

:-D Julie, Goodreads can have that effect!

unread topics | mark unread