Comfort Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > What are you reading right now? (SEE NEW THREAD)

Comments (showing 101-150 of 7,908) (7908 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by [deleted user] (new)

Katri wrote: "Ooh, I read The Count of Monte Cristo a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it!"

My husband gave me the book for Christmas some years ago and I never got into it. Is it one of those books that improve if you stick with it?

message 102: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 68 comments Jeannette wrote: "Katri wrote: "Ooh, I read The Count of Monte Cristo a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it!"

My husband gave me the book for Christmas some years ago and I never got into it. Is it one of ..."

Well, I can't say for sure - it's not necessarily everyone's thing. But I've always loved French 19th century literature with dramatic plots, many twists and lots of interesting characters! It may help to read on, though, since some early parts of the book may feel like they're getting bogged down by the political intrigue and such, if you're not interested in that kind of thing.

message 103: by Jo (new)

Jo I'm not really that into classics but i am enjoying this one. I say give it another chance!

message 104: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Laura - EXACTLY!!!!

message 105: by [deleted user] (new)

I still have the very nice book on my shelf in a prominent place. I will put it on my tbr list, too!

message 106: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 01, 2010 09:54AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 526 comments Survivor is Thursdays at eight. (Yes, it's a TV show.)

Reading the Peter Wimsey novels for the first time? What a treat.

I love the Count. A good translation helps; there are some bad ones out there.

message 107: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments I'm reading Juliet,Naked by Nick Hornby. I love Hornby so it's a comfort book to me - really great!

message 108: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 02, 2010 02:48AM) (new)

Chrissie Susanna, thanks for clueing me in!

EDIT:
Thank you too Jeannette!

message 109: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 2756 comments Mod
Chrissie wrote: "Katri, When I first came to Sweden I learned the language at Kursverksamheten,back in the 70s the state encouraged foreigners to learn the language so it cost nothing. I did the complete crash cour..."

I do that as well, I mix up German and English quite readily, and French and Spanish (the little Spanish I do know). My German is getting rusty (actually, more my spoken German, I haven't visited my family for quite a while). But, I've always been better at reading and writing languages (all languages) than speaking and/or pronouncing them.

message 110: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Gundula, I don't think

message 111: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 2756 comments Mod
Chrissie wrote: "Gundula, I don't think

Thanks, I just noticed it. I was away from my computer for a few days and just catching up with email and/or GR discussions.

message 112: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 91 comments I'm just into Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I'm reading along with the audiobook. I suspect that bedtime will not be soon for me tonight. "Sartorially dyslexic," hahaha!

message 113: by Lori (Hellian) (new)

Lori (Hellian) LOVED the Count! I was towards the end and had to leave a party, because I was desperate to get back to Edmund, o Edmund! I'm wondering what translation you have, Susanna is absolutely right, I spend some time in the store reading the first several pages of about 5 translations, and they all led to such a different reading experience.

message 114: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Gundula, I don't think

We started the new thread not because we were "supposed to" but because this one was getting cluttered with our language chat. :) I think "Learning a new Language" is a perfect fit for Gundula, too! Welcome back to the threads!

message 115: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 3839 comments Mod
Yes, Any topic that has a lot of interest/many comments, it makes sense to give it its own thread - once we notice that it's a popular topic.

Also, anyone can start a special topic thread in the Just To Chat - Off Topic folder.

message 116: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jeanette, that IS what I meant - we are not suppose to talk about it HERE! Thanks for setting up the new thread. The thing is it is so hard to stick to JUST ONE TOPIC when one starts talking. Don't get me wrong, I DO agree with you guys! Otherwise things can get cluttered.....

message 117: by Laura (new)

Laura | 294 comments take it easy....

message 118: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Laura, :0)

message 119: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Jeanette, that IS what I meant - we are not suppose to talk about it HERE! Thanks for setting up the new thread. The thing is it is so hard to stick to JUST ONE TOPIC when one starts talking. Don't..."

Sorry Chrissie -- online chatting is never as understandable as talking face-to-face. I just wanted to be sure you knew that I started a new thread to be polite and to make it less confusing, with our language threads and the other books threads. I didn't want you to feel that we had been sent away because we aren't supposed to be talking here. Lee and Lisa and everyone else in this group are some of the friendliest people I've come to know. (Well, now I'm worried that I'm repeating what you already knew, yet again!) :-)

message 120: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jeanette, no problem! We are all in agreement! Don't worry about anything!

message 121: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just starting Then We Came to the End...I needed something funny. Anyone read that one?

message 122: by Diane (new)

Diane (deeridge) | 1 comments i'm reading "coming home" by rosamunde pilcher. this is my second book by her and am really enjoying it.
read "shell seekers" first. i think i like "coming home" better time frame wise. i also have "september" on my book shelf to read sometime.

message 123: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3959 comments Mod
Chrissie wrote: "Jeanette, that IS what I meant - we are not suppose to talk about it HERE! Thanks for setting up the new thread. The thing is it is so hard to stick to JUST ONE TOPIC when one starts talking. Don't..."

All I can say is I love the passion and conversation here. I'm happy to see these wonderful discussions taking place and appreciate the way you are all seeing what needs to be done in terms of thread management. :-)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 526 comments Lori wrote: "LOVED the Count! I was towards the end and had to leave a party, because I was desperate to get back to Edmund, o Edmund! I'm wondering what translation you have, Susanna is absolutely right, I spe..."

I have the Penguin Classics, which seems to be a good translation.

message 125: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Diane wrote: "i'm reading "coming home" by rosamunde pilcher. this is my second book by her and am really enjoying it.
read "shell seekers" first. i think i like "coming home" better time frame wise. i also hav..."

Diane, I once read a book by Rosamund Pilcher's son and the title now escapes but it was pretty good. I'll have to go and check my shelf for the title. It was a comfort type read.

message 126: by Lori (Hellian) (new)

Lori (Hellian) Susanna, I think that's the one I ended up buying!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 526 comments I thought it was a pretty good translation.

message 128: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments I finished the amazing Let the Great World Spin - 5 stars. Now, though, I need some comfort so I am re-reading Chocolat before starting The Girl with No Shadow: A Novel.

message 129: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "I finished the amazing Let the Great World Spin - 5 stars. ..."

Hey, that's on my Kindle...goodie! I got a surprise Jodi Picoult in the mail today (Diane, I pre-ordered that well before the challenge so it doesn't count! Haha!)

message 130: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Christine wrote: "Mary wrote: "I finished the amazing Let the Great World Spin - 5 stars. ..."

Hey, that's on my Kindle...goodie! I got a surprise Jodi Picoult in the mail today (Diane, I pre-orde..."

I love surprises!! And I hope you like Let the Great World Spin as much as I did!!

message 131: by Diane D. (last edited Mar 02, 2010 05:15PM) (new)

Diane D. | 498 comments Jeannette wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "I am reading Shutter Island -- definitely not a comfort read!"

Is this the book from the creepy looking movie??"

Jeannette -- I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. We were without a home computer so once I left work for the weekend, that was it! I did not think Shutter Island was "creepy" in a horror sort of way. More of a mystery/psycotic (sp?) thriller. A page turner for sure!

message 132: by Diane D. (last edited Mar 02, 2010 05:15PM) (new)

Diane D. | 498 comments Now I am reading Half Broke Horses. Since I read and loved The Glass Castle, I wanted to read this one.

message 133: by [deleted user] (new)

Diane D. wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "I am reading Shutter Island -- definitely not a comfort read!"

Is this the book from the creepy looking movie??"

Jeannette -- I'm sorry it took..."

But there is a movie out right now with DiCaprio called "Shutter Island" and the previews are definitely creepy!

message 134: by Jo (new)

Jo I'm reading Empire of the Sun

message 135: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jo, I loved this, but read it very long ago. I bet I would love it even more now.... You know there is a sequel entitledThe Kindness of Women. I have not read anything but the Empire of the Sun! Has anyone read several of this author's books and can recommend another that is good? I have read that some are science fiction, and I don't like that! Any tips out there? Jo, enjoy what you have in your hands - it could be the best by this author.

message 136: by Jo (new)

Jo Thanks! I am planning on reading the sequel if i enjoy this one. I also have a book of his called Cocaine Nights but i havent read it yet.

message 137: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Diane wrote: "i'm reading "coming home" by rosamunde pilcher. this is my second book by her and am really enjoying it.
read "shell seekers" first. i think i like "coming home" better time frame wise. i also hav..."

I loved Coming Home even more than The Shell Seekers. September is pretty good as well. I have the Coming Home DVD, which I thought was quite well done - 4 hours of delight! Definitely a comfort read and movie for me!

message 138: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 91 comments I am beginning Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

message 139: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 7 comments I am currently reading The Year of Pleasures it's good but a little slow going. I am going to the library tomorrow to pick up When The Bough Breaks anad start that one. I read about another book by the same author here and decided to start the series from the begining.

message 140: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Shelly, I liked that book. I've read quite a few by Jonathan Kellerman, but I eventually stopped reading them. I'm only up to date with a very few mystery series.

message 141: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading The Summer Book. I almost can't describe it. The writing, the imagery and the characters are all so fascinating.

message 142: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jeannette, that is Tove Jansson for you! Great huh?! Too bad you are not reading it in Swedish. I wonder if the translation could be as good as the original.

message 143: by Barb (last edited Mar 05, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

Barb I'm about to start on Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough. It should take me a while to get through that baby-boy, it looks to be a good 700+ pages. I can normally burn through a book in 2 or 3 days, but I suspect I'll be on this one for a good week. I'm strictly a one-book-at-a-time girl; I can't keep things straight or get fully emmersed in a story when I have to keep switching gears and do mental catch-up on where I was in one or another.

message 144: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) One of the books I am reading right now is Mount Vernon Love Story aka Aspire to the Heavens by Mary Higgins Clark. This book was published clear back in 1960 before MHC got into her more creepy mysteries. It is really a neat historical fiction love story. It flips back and forth between 1750's to the 1790's when George has just retired from the Presidency. I've enjoyed the book very much.

I actually only started reading it because I tend to be somewhat ocd about reading an authors entire bibliography when it is someone I really like. There was a 15 year gap between this book (which was her first) and the next one.

I recommend this book

message 145: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Hi Sheila, I didn't know Mary Higgins Clark wrote anything but creepy mysteries! That's pretty neat that you discovered something different written by her.

message 146: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) Sheila wrote: "One of the books I am reading right now is Mount Vernon Love Story aka Aspire to the Heavens by Mary Higgins Clark. This book was published clear back in 1960 before MHC got into her more creepy m..."

Hi Sheila - and welcome! I enjoyed Mount Vernon Love Story also, and was surprised to find that Mary Higgins Clark had written it. Very nice book, indeed!

message 147: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Jeannette, that is Tove Jansson for you! Great huh?! Too bad you are not reading it in Swedish. I wonder if the translation could be as good as the original."

Sorry -- can't read Swedish. But, I like the book. It isn't gripping and it really doesn't have an obvious plot, so it's hard to categorize. Is it autobiographical at all?

message 148: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Not that I know of. It is the writing style that is so different with Tove Jansson. I do not know if that gets across in a translation. I am glad you are enjoying it.

message 149: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Not that I know of. It is the writing style that is so different with Tove Jansson. I do not know if that gets across in a translation. I am glad you are enjoying it."

The writing style and the interaction of the girl and her grandma. They spar and grumble but they truly love each other. And Sophia is so wise for her age and yet still a child. I love the image of the old lady hobbling out to look for the little house that was washed away and then working late to recreate it (dirt and all) to reassure the little girl.

message 150: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

I just finished The Neverending Story and I'll start Snow Crash next. (Yes, another member reading Snow Crash, a few days to a week behind where I wanted to be, but just in time.)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.