European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > What historical figure would you like to read more about?

Comments (showing 101-150 of 170) (170 new)    post a comment »

Gemma (BookMoodReviews) | 61 comments I still liked The Boleyn Inheritance The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory though it didn't really give much insite into Anne after she was divorced

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 83 comments Mandy wrote: "I'd like to read more about Elizabeth Plantagenet, Edward and Elizabeth's daughter, wife to Henry VII.
She's been a background character in so many novels I've read, but I'd love to see one where a..."

To Hold the Crown  The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Tudor Saga, #1) by Jean PlaidyTo Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York is about their marriage and may be more focused on Elizabeth than others you've read...

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 83 comments Alyssa wrote: "I would love to read more about Queen Anne. She was the last Stuart monarch after William and Mary before they imported the Hanovers in. :) I think she is such a fascinating person considering she ..."

The Queen's Favourites The Queen's Favourites (Stuart Saga, #9) by Jean Plaidy is about queen Anne. I liked the book although just about everyone in it turned out to be annoying, including Anne. Not the author's fault-- the fault of history!! :-)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2131 comments Jennifer wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I would love to read more about Queen Anne. She was the last Stuart monarch after William and Mary before they imported the Hanovers in. :) I think she is such a fascinating person c..."

I enjoyed The Queen's Favourites as well, but I agree that most of the people ended up being pretty annoying! Sarah Churchill was quite the character!

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments I'm sorry to say but I am really getting bored with English Royalty. because there's so much about it. Just with the Tudor Era. i've read part way through some book on The girl King of Sweden Kristina. and read her royal diary book.

Kristina, the Girl King ROYAL DIARIES KRISTINA THE GIR by Carolyn(Author) Meyerthey don't have the cover or photo for this book but I've seen other's by the same author.

Anyone got any suggestions on The Haspburgs?

Jamie (jdepp) | 2 comments Well I'm new here but I love history. The one person that I can never read to much about is Cleopatra. For 2 years that she was the only person that I wanted to learn about in history. And becouse I was homeschooled my mom gave in. After 2 years she told me we had to move on. I would also like to find some good books on Catherine the great and Marie Antoinette's mother.

Donnaelrick Elrick I too love William I. The only book that I have read was the triolgy by Jean Plaidy.

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments Jamie wrote: "I would also like to find some good books on Catherine the great and Marie Antoinette's mother."

Me too! I believe someone has a historical novel about Catherine the Great coming out this year or next year; can't remember the title.

KOMET | 54 comments Charles DeGaulle. I've yet to come across any novels in which he is a central character.

++++++++++++++++++++++
As for the Hapsburgs (in answer to Krystal) why not a series of historical novels about the Emperor Franz Josef (1830-1916) and his wife, the Empress Elisabeth? Frankly, we're oversaturated with novels about the Tudors these days.

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2131 comments When we first started group reads here, we read Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power by Virginia Rounding. It's non-fiction, and I remember enjoying it.

message 111: by Kim (new)

Kim | 45 comments I am totally into Italian Royalty right now. Visited Rome, Florence, and Venice 2 years ago and have become obsessed. Currenty reading the Borgia Bride. Italian royalty in the 1300-1600 had a lot to do with the pope's of the time also which is in a way another form of royalty...very intriquing. Love it.

KOMET | 54 comments Misfit wrote: "Susanna wrote: "I read Theodosia at about 12. Lovely novel.

Burr was Jefferson's Vice President (during his first term, 1801-1805). He dueled with Alexander Hamilton, while Vice President, and..."

Burr by Gore Vidal is SUPERB!!!

Burr by Gore Vidal Gore Vidal

message 113: by Kim (new)

Kim Hathorn | 6 comments I definitely second Peter the Great, and also medieval Russia and Ukraine(Kiev Rus').

message 114: by KOMET (last edited Feb 26, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

KOMET | 54 comments It would be interesting to read more about Napoleon III (Napoleon Bonaparte's nephew) who was the leader of France between 1852 and 1870. He represented the last gasp of the French monarchy.

Carla Nayland | 17 comments Kim wrote: "I definitely second Peter the Great, and also medieval Russia and Ukraine(Kiev Rus')."

The tenth-century Rus princes/kingdoms feature in Robert Low's Viking adventure series, especially in the first and third in the series (The Whale Road, and The White Raven). (The second one, The Wolf Sea, is mainly set in the Middle East. I don't know about the fourth, The Prow Beast, as I haven't read that one yet).

message 116: by Mary (new)

Mary | 33 comments I always wanted to read/ learn more about Queen Isabella the wife of
Edward ll of England. I am intrigued by her and her relationships with
Roger Mortimer and her children.

KOMET | 54 comments Mary wrote: "I always wanted to read/ learn more about Queen Isabella the wife of Edward ll of England. I am intrigued by her and her relationships with Roger Mortimer and her children."

Hi Mary,

You may wish to check out the following book -- Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England by Alison Weir.

Queen Isabella  Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England by Alison Weir

message 118: by Mary (new)

Mary | 33 comments Thanks KOMET. I've actually read that book by Alison Weir and really enjoyed it. I also have read The Greatest Traitor- the Life of Sir
Roger Mortimer by Ian Mortimer. Their life stories with all the ambitions,treachery and what seems to be a love story has always intrigued me.

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments There's a book called Three Medieval Queens: Queenship and the Crown in Fourteenth-Century England by Lisa Benz St. John that's coming out in June. I believe Isabella is one of the queens featured.

message 120: by Kim (new)

Kim Hathorn | 6 comments Thanks, Carla. I also know about Edward Rutherford's Russka as well.

message 121: by Ewa (last edited Apr 20, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

Ewa | 1 comments I recommend highly the biographies of Jan Sobieski and Peter the Great. Jan Sobieski: The King Who Saved Europe by Miltiades Varvounis and Peter The Great by Robert K. Massie

message 122: by Tess (new)

Tess (TessParker) Hello all, I have just joined the group and have been looking around to see what you have read and most of your posts.

I came to love historical fiction through Sharon Key Penman's Welsh trilogy and also Sandra Gulland's Josephine B. series.

There's a new book by Tracy Borman about the wife of William the Conqueror, Matilda. I already have the book, but I thought it might be a good pick for this group, especially as William killed Harold (The last king of England and I noted the interest in this period at the top of this thread.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

I shall try to catch up on some of the books you have read as group reads.

message 123: by KOMET (last edited May 18, 2012 04:50AM) (new)

KOMET | 54 comments Ever since I began reading the Morland Dynasty Series of historical novels by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, I have developed an interest in the life of Sophia, Princess Palatine, and Electress of Brunswick-Lüneburg, whose eldest son became George I of England.

What is interesting to consider is if Sophia had not predeceased (by 2 months) Queen Anne (the last of the Stuarts to reign in England), she would have become Queen of England!

So far, I have the following biography about Sophia ---
Sophia of Hanover: Mother of George I and Ancestor of the House of Windsor by Josephine Duggan

Sophia of Hanover  Mother of George I and Ancestor of the House of Windsor by Josephine Duggan

Sophia would make perfect material for any historical novel.

Daisy | 5 comments I'm interested in reading more about The Borgias and The Tudors :))

KOMET | 54 comments I'd like to read more (especially in terms of novels) about the House of Hohenzollern, with special emphasis on the life of Kaiser Wilhelm I (1797-1888).

Grisel Ortiz-howell | 5 comments Queen Juana of Castille.

Alexis Maubach | 2 comments There are so many historical figures that I would like to read about. Jane Rochford. Margaret Beaufort, Jaquetta Bedford-Woodville, Catherine the Great, Empress Theodosia, Conseula Vanderbilt. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have read Phillipa Gregory's the series on The Cousins War, yhe biography on The Infamous Lady Rochford.

message 128: by KOMET (last edited Jul 14, 2013 07:34PM) (new)

KOMET | 54 comments I'd also like to read a novel about the life of King Dom Pedro IV of Portugal (who also reigned as Emperor Dom Pedro I of BRAZIL).

Carla Nayland | 17 comments Grisel wrote: "Queen Juana of Castille."

The Last Queen, by CW Gortner The Last Queen is about Juana of Castile, if you haven't already read it.

Nay Nay | 6 comments Alexis wrote: "There are so many historical figures that I would like to read about. Jane Rochford. Margaret Beaufort, Jaquetta Bedford-Woodville, Catherine the Great, Empress Theodosia, Conseula Vanderbilt. Any..."

Jane Parker (Lady Rochford) The Boleyn Wife by Brandy Purdy Vengeance Is Mine  A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford  The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both by Brandy Purdy

Margaret Beaufort Margaret Beaufort  Mother of the Tudor Dynasty by Elizabeth Norton

Catherine the Great Catherine the Great  Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie The Winter Palace  A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva Stachniak

Consuelo Vanderbilt The Glitter and the Gold  The American Duchess---in Her Own Words by Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan Consuelo and Alva Vanderbilt  The Story of a Daughter and a Mother in the Gilded Age by Amanda Mackenzie Stuart

Mahlon (mahlon32) | 1 comments Hi All,

I would like to read more about Francis Walsingham, there are a few books on him available for Kindle, making it hard to choose. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I was leaning toward The Queen's Agent.

Thanks,
Mahlon

KOMET | 54 comments I would like to read more about LOUIS XVIII (1755 - 1824), brother of the murdered King Louis XVI of France.

message 133: by Kim (new)

Kim Hathorn | 6 comments A series on the French musketeer. I'm aware of Dumas of course, but I'd like to see some newer historical fiction based on them, particularly an adventure series based on the musketeer experience in battle.

message 134: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Giuliano de' Medici!!!! I've read about Lorenzo and Catherine and others, but never have I seen a book where Giuliano de' Medici is the main character. I wrote one, but it's not at all historical. Or relating to anything else about European Royalty.

Or maybe about Mary Stuart from her point of view. I've seen plenty about Elizabeth...

KOMET | 54 comments I would like to read more about the lives of the Empress Josephine's children ---

1) Eugène de Beauharnais
2) Hortense de Beauharnais (mother of Napoleon III)

Ashlee Vanasse | 1 comments Elizabeth of York. Any book suggestions?

Robin (ukamerican) | 178 comments Ashlee wrote: "Elizabeth of York. Any book suggestions?"

Fiction or non? Alison Weir's latest biography was great: Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World. There is not much contemporary information about Elizabeth so some readers complained that the bio was too speculative but that is just the nature of the subject.

The only novel I've read on her was Gregory's The White Princess which I was not impressed by. I believe there are other novels on Elizabeth of York, though I haven't read them:

The King's Daughter. A Novel of the First Tudor Queen
The Tudor Rose
Mistress of Mourning
To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York

KOMET | 54 comments I would like to read a novel about the lives of the Emperor Franz Josef of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (reigned for 68 years, from 1848 to 1916) and his wife, the Empress Elizabeth.

We have a surfeit of novels about the Tudors nowadays. Why not more historical novels about the Hapsburgs, the House of Bragança, and the Hohenzollerns???

Robin (ukamerican) | 178 comments I do understand the attention the Tudors get - Henry VII was involved in the Wars of the Roses and put an end to them so that naturally attracts a lot of attention. Then Henry VIII beheaded two of his wives and split from the Vatican all in the name of getting a son and then it turns out his daughter became his greatest legacy. So naturally, that attracts a lot of attention too. There was no precedent Henry VIII's actions as far as I know so it's a big deal.

But I agree that there are other royal families who deserve just as much attention. I would love to see a more recent novel about Joanna I of Naples - I read a biography on her and thought "this is ripe for a novel" but there's only been three to my knowledge but they are old and out of print.

KOMET | 54 comments Frankly, I've yet to see a novel about the Hohenzollerns (who lasted until November 1918). And to the best of my knowledge, Jean Plaidy wrote a novel centered around Charles II's wife, Catherine of Bragança.

Stephanie (jaeaaliyah0102) Charlemagne

message 142: by Sara W (last edited Jan 17, 2014 10:19AM) (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2131 comments KOMET wrote: "I would like to read more about the lives of the Empress Josephine's children ---

1) Eugène de Beauharnais
2) Hortense de Beauharnais (mother of Napoleon III)"

I don't know if it's any good (I picked it up somewhere but haven't read it), but Norah Lofts has a novel about Hortense.

A Rose for Virtue: The Very Private Life of Hortense, Stepdaughter of Napoleon I, Mother of Napoleon III

A Rose for Virtue  The Very Private Life of Hortense, Stepdaughter of Napoleon I, Mother of Napoleon III by Norah Lofts

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2131 comments KOMET wrote: "Frankly, I've yet to see a novel about the Hohenzollerns (who lasted until November 1918). And to the best of my knowledge, Jean Plaidy wrote a novel centered around Charles II's wife, Catherine o..."

Jean Plaidy's novel on Catherine of Braganza (I believe it's in first person - been awhile since I read it):

The Merry Monarch's Wife

The Merry Monarch's Wife (Queens of England, #9) by Jean Plaidy

I read it under the old title The Pleasures of Love.

message 144: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais

The original author of the Figaro trilogy, which became Il Barbiere di Seviglia, Le Nozze di Figaro, and The Ghosts of Versailles (which was terrible, by the way, IMHO)

And he wasn't only a playwright. He was also a watchmaker and sold guns to the patriots during the American Revolution.

KOMET | 54 comments I would like to read a historical novel based on the life of Kaiser Frederick III (1831-1888), whose 88 day reign hinted at significant liberal reforms. Unlike his son (Wilhelm II), Frederick III had a long history of liberalism.

Vanessa  Eden | 5 comments I would love to read more about Marie Antoinette. I read Marie Antoinette the Journey by Antonia Fraser and it literally changed me. So much in fact, that I now have a tattoo of her on my back. It represents that one day your life can be perfect and the next, it can turn into a nightmare that you cannot imagine( as Marie Antoinette's was) and to appreciate the good times and to have gratitude.
I would also like to read about her mother, the Empress Josephine. She sounded like a strong, independent woman and I was really amazed by her; being an Empress and a Queen at the same time:amazing.

Vanessa  Eden | 5 comments Marie Antoinette: The Journey Sorry I didn't post the link in my previous comment.

Vanessa  Eden | 5 comments KOMET wrote: "I would like to read more about LOUIS XVIII (1755 - 1824), brother of the murdered King Louis XVI of France."

Yes! I have wondered much about him as well.

Vanessa  Eden | 5 comments KOMET wrote: "I would like to read a novel about the lives of the Emperor Franz Josef of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (reigned for 68 years, from 1848 to 1916) and his wife, the Empress Elizabeth.

We have a sur..."

I am with you. I would love to read more about the Hapsburgs. I really enjoy British monarchs but I am completely fascinated by the Hapsburgs.
And, of course I would like to read more about the Bourbons.

KOMET | 54 comments I would like to read a novel about the life of the first Bourbon King, Henri IV of France (1553-1610).