The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.5 (PJ Reads' Task - As Suggested By Tanja - Six Degrees of Separation)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 299-348)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 348: by Mollie (new)

Mollie T Okay, thank you! :)

message 347: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Mollie -- Sure. But this is how I'd list the connection.

Glennon was interviewed by Jon Stewart on The Daily Show.

Stephen Colbert used to be on The Daily Show and is a close friend of Jon Stewart. Colbert interviewed Jonah Lehrer on his show, The Colbert Report.

WHEEEE!!!

message 346: by Mollie (new)

Mollie T The more I read this thread, the more I get confused about what is and isn't allowed!

I'm trying to connect these two books:
Unquenchable: America's Water Crisis and What To Do About It by Robert Glennon
Proust Was a Neuroscientist by Jonah Lehrer

Lehrer was on the Colbert Report. Colbert used to be on The Daily Show. Glennon was on The Daily Show.

Is this acceptable, or is that an disallowed "interview connection"? Thanks!

message 345: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Julia Sounds good!

message 344: by Julia (last edited May 07, 2010 11:17AM) (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments Alright. Retry.

Book A: Fahrenheit 415 by Ray Bradbury
Book B: In the Electric Eden by Nick Arvin

Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451 which is being (re)made into a movie directed by Frank Darabont.
Frank Darabont also directed The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Mist, all written by Steven King.
Steven King was on Late Night with Conan O'Brien in Feb 1999
Conan O'Brien also interviewed Fred Savage in Feb 1999
Fred Savage graduated from Stanford where Nick Arvin is also a grad.

Maybe this time?

message 343: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments No they just were both published. I'll keep looking for a better connection. I just wasn't sure how specific it needed to be. I am sure I can find another person! Someone who worked with King and graduated from Stanford... something like that.

Thanks!

message 342: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Julia - It's that last step which needs a bit of altering. Did Arvin interview King or do a story together?

message 341: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments Alright, I need to see if this is an acceptable connection.
Book A: Fahrenheit 415 by Ray Bradbury
Book B: In the Electric Eden by Nick Arvin

Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451 which is being (re)made into a movie directed by Frank Darabont.
Frank Darabont also directed The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Mist, all written by Steven King.
Steven King has contributed to The New Yorker where Nick Arvin has also had work published.

Acceptable? I'm not sure about the last step...

message 340: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments You don't have to watch Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert to know their guests! If you go to wikipedia, someone has made a list of guests that have appeared on their shows. Just type the name of their show and scroll to the bottom for the lists. It's awesomeness.

Liz -- Version one to Mao II works as well as Version two to Forsyte Saga! Awesome :)

message 339: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Book A: The Waves by Virginia Woolf. Her father, Sir Leslie Stephen, knew Henry James who was a close friend of Joseph Conrad who was a close friend of John Galsworthy. Book B: The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga

message 338: by Liz M (last edited Apr 15, 2010 07:31PM) (new)

Liz M Book A: The Waves. Virginia Woolf was married to Leonard Woolf who gave Edward Albee permission to use Virgina's name for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. Albee made six appearances on Charlie Rose's show. Charlie Rose hosted a memorial for Norman Mailer at Carnegie Hall at which Joan Didion, Tina Brown, Sean Penn, William Kennedy and Don DeLillo spoke. Book B: Mao II

message 337: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments It can be tricky to track down the guests (I don't watch either show either), but I eventually did the "wait, wait" connection to Mo Rocca then to Roy Blount, jr, who leads to Judy Blume. when I ditched "One Second After", I was able to use a Janet Evanovich which had been in my mental TBR forever (she was also a guest on "Wait, Wait", and their website is better with the guest listing!).

message 336: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments Tanja wrote: "Oh RIGHT! Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert :)"

Guess who doesn't watch either of those shows?!

message 335: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments And Mo Racca is apparently a correspondent, and he is also on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" (the NPR news quiz) and there have been TONS of people on that as well!

message 334: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Oh RIGHT! Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert :)

message 333: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I was able to tie almost anyone to Gingrich through his visit to "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart.

message 332: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments Tanja wrote: "BJ Rose -- Hmmm. This is how I'll tie Gingrich and Morris. It may seem odd BUT politics never have made sense to me. Ahaha. During his tenure as Speaker, Gingrich represented the public face of the Republican opposition to President Bill Clinton. Morris, a longtime friend and advisor to Bill Clinton during his time as Governor of Arkansas, became a political adviser to the White House after Clinton was elected president in 1992. Chances are Gingrich and Morris met or debated over things during that timeframe let along on that website. So in this case, YES. Normally, I'd say no b/c belonging to the same big club (like AAA) has way too many members to even phathom the two know each other. But in this specific case, I think it's more than likely."

Thanks, Tanja. I thought about going the obvious political route, but wanted to avoid the supposition link, totally forgetting/ignoring the obvious 'advisor to the President' link which locked it in!

message 331: by Usako (last edited Apr 15, 2010 05:21AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Liz -- Sure b/c it's the same award for the same year. It's assumed the two met or corresponded b/c of that.

BJ Rose -- Hmmm. This is how I'll tie Gingrich and Morris. It may seem odd BUT politics never have made sense to me. Ahaha. During his tenure as Speaker, Gingrich represented the public face of the Republican opposition to President Bill Clinton. Morris, a longtime friend and advisor to Bill Clinton during his time as Governor of Arkansas, became a political adviser to the White House after Clinton was elected president in 1992. Chances are Gingrich and Morris met or debated over things during that timeframe let along on that website. So in this case, YES. Normally, I'd say no b/c belonging to the same big club (like AAA) has way too many members to even phathom the two know each other. But in this specific case, I think it's more than likely.

EDIT: Ahaha yes, they know each other. http://mediamatters.org/research/2007... and this one, too, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01...

message 330: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments Ashley wrote: "BJ Rose wrote: "So, let's see whether or not I'm on the right track here -
I'm currently reading One Second After by William Forstchen
"Let me know what you think of this -- I was SO excited to read it (and it was my original TBR book for this task!) but my brother read it and thought I wouldn't like it, so I ended up reading something else. But this book is still sitting on my desk -- I've renewed it twice at the library!"

I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and it's nonstop disaster/catastrophe. My husband and I are listening to it at the same time (actually, he's a chapter ahead of me) and we stop every one in a while to discuss it - and to talk about the changes there would be in our lives if such a thing were to happen. Will try to remember to post about it when I'm further along.

message 329: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments BJ Rose wrote: "So, let's see whether or not I'm on the right track here -
"
Let me know what you think of this -- I was SO excited to read it (and it was my original TBR book for this task!) but my brother read it and thought I wouldn't like it, so I ended up reading something else. But this book is still sitting on my desk -- I've renewed it twice at the library!

message 328: by Liz (last edited Apr 14, 2010 04:25PM) (new)

Liz I wanted to make sure this connection works:
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford & The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Both authors' books are finalists for the 2009 Whitney Award.

message 327: by BJ Rose (last edited Apr 14, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments So, let's see whether or not I'm on the right track here -
Newt Gingrich wrote the introduction to the book. Also Gingrich & Forstchen co-wrote several books (which I've already read, darn it!)
Newt Gingrich is a contributing columnist for HumanEvents.com
Dick MOrris is also a contributing HumanEvents.com columnist
In his recent newsletter, Dick Morris mentions Andrew Napolitano and his newest book, Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History
Napolitano also wrote Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws

So my two books would be One Second After & Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws

Yes or No?

message 326: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 467 comments Tanja wrote: "Ines -- Was McCarthy & Atwood awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship during the same year for the same category? If they weren't, it isn't an acceptable connection.

Patricia -- If Oprah was part of the..."

Okay. Thanks.

message 325: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ines -- Was McCarthy & Atwood awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship during the same year for the same category? If they weren't, it isn't an acceptable connection.

Patricia -- If Oprah was part of the Planet Green Network, I would say yes. But this is a big business connected to another big business without having Oprah directly involved in both businesses. You need to find a more direct connection from Oprah to The Fabulous Beekman Boys.

message 324: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 467 comments Is this connection acceptable?

Book One: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Book Two: The Bucolic Plague: The Definitive Memoirs of the World's Most Famous Drag Queen Turned Goat

One Hundred Years of Solitude was an Oprah Book Club Selection
Oprah is launching a new cable network OWN as part of a relationship with Discovery Communications.
On Discovery Communication's Planet Green network, The Fabulous Beekman Boys is premiering in June.

Fabulous Beekman Boys features Josh Kilmer Purcell, author of The Bucolic Plague.

(Thanks to Ines whose post made me think of this connection).

message 323: by Ines (last edited Apr 08, 2010 07:50PM) (new)

Ines (sai_) | 12 comments Okay, I think I've got my connection. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Book 1: [Book: The Autumn of the Patriarch] - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Book 2: [Book: Year of the Flood] - Margaret Atwood

Marquez's book [Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude] was one of Oprah's Book Club Selections, as was Cormac McCarthy's [Book: The Road]. McCarthy was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts-Fiction, as was Margaret Atwood.

Soo.. Marquez -> Oprah -> McCarthy -> Guggenheim Fellowship -> Atwood

5! Let me know if it works. Thanks!

message 322: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Nicki -- SURE!!

Rachel -- Niiice! Enjoy Mr. Darcy's Diary.

message 321: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RandHrShipper1) | 68 comments Okay, I've been searching and I think I have mine.

1. Shades of Grey was written by Jasper Fforde, who was a focus puller for the film Quills, which starred...
2. Kate Winslet, who also starred in Sense and Sensibility, which was based on a novel by...
3. Jane Austen, whose novel Pride and Prejudice inspired...
4. Amanda Grange to write Mr. Darcy's Diary.

Does that work? (PLEASE!)

message 320: by Nicki (new)

Nicki H Would this work? I only question it because Diary of a Wimpy kid was 217 pages but it has cartoons in it...

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - made into a movie which stars Zach Gordon, who was also in the animated feature film Madagascar 2 with Ben Stiller. Ben Still starred in Tropic Thunder in 2008 which Tom Cruise was also in. TOm Cruise starred in the movie The Firm which was based on the novel The Firm

Thanks!

message 319: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Louise - YUP! That works:)

message 318: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiserogers) | 24 comments Hi all... would this work:

A) The absolutely true diary of a part time indian by Sherman Alexie.

Alexie wrote a fim called Smoke Signals
This was co-produced by Chris Eyre
Eyre directed 2 episodes of Mystery! which was executive produced by Robert Redford
Robert Redford starred in River Runs Through It
Brad Pitt also starred in A River Runs Through It
Brad Pitt is the producer of Eat, Pray, Love

message 317: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Tara - SURE!

message 316: by Tara (last edited Mar 20, 2010 06:54PM) (new)

Tara Okay, I am not good at figuring out how what is a degree of separation so could you tell me if I have enough or too many?
1. Read City of Ember that was made into a movie which Tim Robbins starred in
2. He was also in the movie High Fidelity
3. High Fidelity is a book by Nick Hornsby who wrote a song with Ben Folds Five about Levi Johnston
4. Levi Johnston went to the 2009 Kids Choice Awards where Miley Cyrus gave a controversial performance.
5. Miley Cyrus starred in Hannah Montana the movie with Melodora Hardin
6. Melodora Hardin was the interviewer in Thank You For Not Smoking... Which would be the book I would read.

message 315: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Julie -- OOOOOH! That's nifty!! Approved!

message 314: by Julie (new)

Julie | 111 comments What about this??
Eat Pray Love was directed by Ryan Murphy – Murphy sold a script “Why Can’t I be Audrey Hepburn” to Steven Spielberg in the 1990s – Steven Spielberg directed Schindler’s List – Steven Zaillian wrote the screenplay of Shindler’s List – Steven Zailian is currently writing a screenplay for A Thousand Splendid Suns.
Thanks!

message 313: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Julie - Only if you can prove that he spoke to the authors. He's listed as a reviewer and I treat that as I would interviews, awards, etc. It's a little indirect to simply read a book and review if you're a reviewer.

message 312: by Julie (new)

Julie | 111 comments Does it work if Eat Pray Love and Thousand Splendid Suns were both reviewed by Lev Grossman of time Magazine? thx

message 311: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Lisa - DING DING DING! You're ready to hit the boxing ring! That's a nifty publication with Gregory & Hannah. Some other readers may not have known about it :)

message 310: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments START - Firefly Lane by 1. Kristin Hannah

2. Philippa Gregory and Hannah had novels published together in a condensed Reader's Digest publication, Of Love and Life: The Queen's Fool, Between Sisters, Safe Harbour

3. Kristin Scott Thomas played a role in the screen adaptation of Gregory's novel, The Other Boleyn Girl

4. Serena Scott Thomas is the sister of Kristin Scott Thomas.

5. Robert Crais novel, Hostage was turned into a movie and Serena had a role in it.

FINISH - Read Crais's, The First Rule
This would be 5 degrees of separation.

I hope this works Tanja.

message 309: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Katie - Sorry it took me a while to respond! APPROVED!

message 308: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Thanks! Only took me six days, but it was kinda fun :)

message 307: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1752 comments Wow Jay that is really impressive!

message 306: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Jay - Fantastic! That's 6 degrees! Great way to find that connection. I thought there would be one but again Monday blahs :P

message 305: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Tanja wrote: "Jay - Must be Monday Morning blahs b/c my mind isn't wrapping around how to connect these two."

With a little help from IMDB, I think I've found my own answer! Tanja, I don't know how to count the connections, so tell me if this is too many:

Suzanne Collins wrote The Hunger Games, which I'd like to read off my TBR

-Nina Jacobson bought the rights to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
-Donnie Wahlberg starred in "The Sixth Sense," which Nina Jacobson was the studio executive at Universal
-Mark Wahlberg is Donnie Wahlberg's brother
-Leonardo DiCaprio starred with Mark Wahlberg in The Departed
-Dennis Lehane wrote Shutter Island, which became a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio
-David Simon, the creator and Executive Producer of HBO's The Wire, hired Dennis Lehane as a staff writer

David Simon wrote the book
Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, which is part two of what I'm going to read for this task

message 304: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Rachel Lee - SURE!

message 303: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Hey Tanja,

I was wondering if this connection is good enough between Janny Wurts and Catherine Asaro- they both contributed to this book Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy

message 302: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Jennifer L. wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "I feel like I am a complete idiot since I have NO IDEA what the heck this is all about. Please help"

It's pretty easy. First, pick a book from your "to-read" list (either from h..."

Ok I am going with your suggestion because it still is a mystery. Thanks for the suggestions Jennifer

message 301: by Ellen (new)

Ellen  (MissEllen82) | 120 comments Looking up authors in the internet movie database (imdb.com) can payoff many authors have appeared on television as themselves or as characters.

message 300: by Sera (new)

Sera Thank you so much!

message 299: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Catch the Degree Fever! *boogies on down*

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (other topics)
One Second After (other topics)
The Road to Nab End (other topics)
Dragon Fire (other topics)
In the Country of Men (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter Straub (other topics)
A.M. Homes (other topics)
Beverly Jablons (other topics)
Michael Cunningham (other topics)
Cornelius Eady (other topics)
More...