Time Travel discussion

Time Travel Books > Favorite Time Travel Novels

Comments (showing 1-50 of 167) (167 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Amy, Time Travel Booking Agent (last edited Apr 23, 2012 09:22PM) (new)

Amy | 1524 comments Mod
I have difficulty choosing my favorite time travel novels because they each have their own merits, but I think my favorites are:
1. Time & Again by Jack Finney
2. There Will Be Time by Poul Anderson
2. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
3. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Neffinegger
4. Timeline by Michael Crichton

I hated that the movie version of Timeline was such a failure because the book was quite nice.

What are your favorite time travel novels?

Ed | 2 comments I agree, it's very tough to pick a favorite. I tried to read Finney's Time & Again but the version I got from Amazon has like size 2 type. It's so tiny I can barely read a sentence, much less the whole book. So maybe I'll have to find another copy somewhere. For now, I'll go with What Could Have Been by Ralph Towner as my fave. Also, Replay by Ken Grimwood was totally great too.

message 3: by Amy, Time Travel Booking Agent (new)

Amy | 1524 comments Mod
I had categorized Replay as a reincarnation novel. But I suppose it's a different kind of time travel. I so love that book. I bought my copy used and falling apart just because the blurb on the back was so intriguing.

I've yet to read What Could Have Been. I'll have to check it out.

message 4: by Ubik (last edited Sep 27, 2008 06:52PM) (new)

Ubik | 3 comments Yeah, Replay is kinda hard to categorize, but its time travell-y enough to count plus I love it so.... Im counting it!

1. Time And Again by Jack Finney
2. Now Wait For Last Year by Philip K Dick
3. Replay by Ken Grimwood
4. The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman
5. Cryptozoic! by Brian Aldiss
6. Behold The Man by Michael Moorcock
7. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

I really want to read Time Camera, Roadmarks, and Im currently reading Doomsday Book. I also really want to read The Time Traveler's Wife, and I just added What Could Have Been to my list from that recommendation (thanks! - to you I recommend The Accidental Time Machine -- it seems similar WCHB)

Debra (DebraLee) | 1 comments I don't think that it gets much better than Jack Finney's Time and Again. But some other ones that I loved that aren't listed here include

The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis.

Jan (jan_peterson) | 5 comments I think my favorite was David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself. Also, the Heinlein short story "By His Bootstraps" was really very good.

Jim Jan wrote: "I think my favorite was David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself. Also, the Heinlein short story "By His Bootstraps" was really very good.
"

Yeah, those are definitely a couple of my favorite time travel stories. Someone mentioned "The Accidental Time Machine," which was pretty good for the first half of the book.

"The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells was of course the classic story, but Stephen Baxter's sequel "The Time Ships" takes the story to the Nth degree. It was a good combo of hard scifi, steampunk and excellent storytelling.

I'll have to check out Jack Finney's "Time and Again."

Mcgyver5 | 3 comments Got a question about Timeline. I read it years ago and remember it as singularly awful. The premise was that the device let you jump to a different time line. The characters jump back to the middle ages and I thought the book was quite clear that this creates a different timeline from the original, yet a character left his glasses back in time and they were unearthed in the original time line. How did this happen?

Time Travel books:
Tim Powers: Anubis Gates, Three Days to Never

A neat book that I picked up at random was "The Boys Are Back in Town" Pulpy, but the premise was kind of cool.
Also, Time out of Joint by Philip K. Dick
Also, The Star Rover (from 1915) by Jack London full text is online: (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1162/1...)

Ubik | 3 comments Has anyone here ever read Time Camera? It doesnt have the greatest reviews, but its intrigued me for quite some time now...

Amanda My all-time favorite time travel books is
Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy | 2 comments I read a lot of SF, but I've picked up a lot of good new recommendations here, thanks.

The Anubis Gates is one of my favourites, too.

message 12: by Graham (last edited Dec 16, 2010 02:16PM) (new)

Graham (20LEgend) | 5 comments Wow, so I finished Replay-Ken Grimwood and I can't praise it highly enough. Highly Recommended.
HG Wells's The Time Machine takes number one spot for me aided by the original 1960 movie.
I agree with you, Amy, about Timeline, loved the book, hated the movie.

Seth, great list of books that I haven't heard of before.

Vicki (Vlord) | 25 comments Thanks Seth!!!!! I am going to be looking up the ones I have not read!
Has anyone read the 2 latest Connie Willis books? old love to know wht you thought.

message 14: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Dec 15, 2010 09:42PM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I have no trouble picking an all-time favorite time travel novel. My vote is for The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser. This book also has the honor of being the book that is most often stolen from public libraries. (http://www.who-dunnit.com/authors/132/)

message 15: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Thanks for the list Seth. I have been researching these books, and the ones that sound the most interesting to me are not available for Kindle. Bummer. Guess I'll have to go back to reading the old-fashioned way.

Vicki (Vlord) | 25 comments John wrote: "I have no trouble picking an all-time favorite time travel novel. My vote is for The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser. This book also has the honor of being the book that i..."

SEth,
I loved "The Mirror" also! Grandmother gave it to me years ago and I have read it several times over the years. I would highly recommend it.
Thanks for the tidbit about it being the book most often taken from libraries....amazing!

Charlotte (Charlotte-) | 5 comments I checked to see what is available on Kindle in Canada - this is my list (I think there are more in the US - saw at least one.)

Doomsday Book Connie Willis
Timeline Michael crichton
Now Wait for Last Year Philip K. Dick
Replay Ken Grimwood
The Accidental Time Machine Joe Haldeman
The Time Machine H.G. Wells
To Say Nothing of the Dog Connie Willis
The Time Ships Stephen Baxter
Three Days to Never Tim Powers
The Boys are Back in Town Christopher Golden
Time Out of Joint Philip K. Dick
The Star Rover Jack London
Up the Line Robert Silverberg
No Enemy but Time Michael Bishop
Woman on the Edge of Time Marge Piercy
The End of Eternity Isaac Asimov
Dark Passage Junius Podrug
The Female Man Joanna Russ
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch Philip K. Dick

Also check out “The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century”

I checked Baen books for the ones I could not find on Amazon – no more hits!

message 18: by Andy (last edited Jan 07, 2011 09:31AM) (new)

Andy Taylor (SooGuy) | 81 comments I am having a hard time narrowing it down to just a few books. So much so that I have a whole website devoted to Time Travel and Alternate Universes - Andy's Anachronisms.

My book shelf for "Time Travel" related books here at GoodReads includes some alternate universe stuff too. I currently have 136 Time Travel related novels, but I know its higher than that. I know a lot of my tags got corrupted when I imported my list from LibraryThing which says I have 245 Time Travel related books in my collection.

Off the top of my head a few favourites that have been mentioned here.

The Man Who Folded Himself - David Gerrold (can't recommend it enough - go back and find an older version though - not the recently republished one)

Time And Again - Jack Finney

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Kindred - Octavia Butler

Time Machine - H.G. Wells (Of course!)

and I am surprised I haven't seen more shout outs for Mark Twain's a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Classic satire.

Vicki (Vlord) | 25 comments Andy,
LOVE your website.........Thank you so much for posting it.

Laura | 11 comments Amy wrote: "I had categorized Replay as a reincarnation novel. But I suppose it's a different kind of time travel. I so love that book. I bought my copy used and falling apart just because the blurb on the bac..."

That was a very good book.

Laura | 11 comments Andy wrote: "I am having a hard time narrowing it down to just a few books. So much so that I have a whole website devoted to Time Travel and Alternate Universes - Andy's Anachronisms.

My book shelf for "Tim..."

Hi, I checked out that site and bookmarked it. It's good. I'm a huge fan of time travel; I read a lot of it, and I write it with the romantic subgenre. Those were excellent books you mentioned. -Laura

Andy Taylor (SooGuy) | 81 comments Laura wrote: "Andy wrote: "I am having a hard time narrowing it down to just a few books. So much so that I have a whole website devoted to Time Travel and Alternate Universes - Andy's Anachronisms.

My book she..."

Glad you liked the site. I haven't reviewed half the books I've reasd.

You might like the Joshua Dann - Timeshare series. Action oriented with very strong romance element.

There used to be a site run by woman in England that had all time travel romance on it. I can't find it in my links - Louisa's or something. I wonder if its still up. Maybe you already know of it?

Andy Taylor (SooGuy) | 81 comments Vicki wrote: "Andy,
LOVE your website.........Thank you so much for posting it."

Glad you liked the site. Please forward any suggestions to the site you might have. I haven't had as much time to update it lately as I would like.

message 24: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Charlotte wrote: Also check out “The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century.”

That was actually the first e-book I bought when I got my kindle in 2009. I loved it. There are a few really great stories in that collection along with a few yawners. Thanks for the list of time travel books available for kindle.

Laura | 11 comments Thanks. :) I haven't heard of that site.

Anne Ipsen Anne Ipsen My next historical novel, "At the Concord of the Rivers" will be released, March 1, 2011. The story uses time travel of to envision Concord, Massachusetts in 1692. Abigail is a graduate student in 1958 who suddenly finds herself back in the period that she has been studying, so the readers experience daily life with all its joys, sorrows, and complications through the lens of a historian. Thinking that she her sojourn is only temporary, Abigail is at first an enthusiastic observer, but as she realizes that she may be there permanently, she comes to care for Hannah, the woman with whom she lives and love Hannah's nephew, Paul. I would delight in receiving comments from members of the Time Travel Group.

Gerold Whittaker | 1 comments If you are looking for Time Travel books, a great place to start is the Listopia" on Goodreads.

Unfortunately, not all books on the list are about Time Travel, but with over 300 titles to choose from, and with reviews just a click away, it is going to be hard to find a better list anywhere.

Anne Ipsen Thanks Gerald. My reading taste is eclectic, but at the moment I'm more into historical fiction than time travel. My book just happens to straddle the genres.

Anne Ipsen Thanks Gerald--I checked out Listopia and found many old favorites and favorite authors--some read so long ago, I', not sure which titles I actually read.

Tate Jackson (tatejackson) | 3 comments I recommend The Undead Heart! I wrote it, of course, but it is a paranormal novel with time travel in it. You can find reveiws for it on goodreads (mostly good ones, thank goodness). If paranormal is your thing then you might want to give it a look. The Undead Heart  The Blood Thirst Series (Volume 1) by Tate Jackson The Undead Heart: The Blood Thirst Series

Julianne (jkbailey) | 1 comments I loved The Little Book by Selden Edwards (amazingly researched). Also Jack Finney's short story collection About Time.

message 32: by Larry (last edited Jun 15, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Larry Moniz (LarryMoniz) For me, it was my earliest time travel story: A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury. I discovered it in the library while it was still a relatively new book (pub. in 1952) and created a fascination that has stayed with me (albeit often latent) ever since.
Another lasting impression was the radio drama of "The Green Hills of Earth" a science fiction short story by Robert A. Heinlein. Awesome.
The third sci-fi author who influenced me, and with whom I actually had a delightful chat one day was Isaac Asimov. I was in stitches with his recitations of dirty limericks -- one of his hobbies.

message 33: by Amy, Time Travel Booking Agent (new)

Amy | 1524 comments Mod
I've added a poll to our main group page to vote on your favorite time travel book. Write in answers are welcome.

Rose | 4 comments I am reading Isabelle's Locket by Colleen Mitchell, it bounces one character backwards and forwards from 1910 to 2010, and is a great read. I am loving it!

message 35: by Linda (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:05PM) (new)

Linda Tate | 4 comments My favorites are Replay, Kindred, A Time to Remember, Time on My Hands.

Time and Again was too hard for me to read; too many details and I got bored. To Say Nothing of the Dog I tried to read but I guess it went over my head a bit. I didn't like Time Traveler's Wife - I bought that book and I thought it sucked so I donated it to the library.

I like the type of Time Travel Books that are fun, some drama but not too sci-fi that it is hard to follow. I don't like it leaning toward psychic either. I don't mind it having some romance in it. I love the paradoxes when the traveler tries to undo a bad crime like in "A Time To Remember" when David tries to prevent Kennedy from being shot. That book is one of my favorites. I guess it's because I am a huge "Back to the Future" fan. Are there any other books out there like that?

Rose | 4 comments Yes, linda. That sounds exactly like the book that I am reading. Isabelle's Locket by Colleen Mitchell. It is only new so not many people have read it yet.
A tragedy happens in 1910, and in 2010 a woman has the opportunity to prevent it by going back in time, only the more she tries to change things, the more they stay the same. There is a dual romance thread to it too, and the fact that she bounces back to her own time and can research stuff on the computer adds to the intrigue.

Michelle (mcrowton) I can't believe no one has mentioned the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Those books are great! I don't like romance novels and was worried when I first picked it up but in the end found it to be more of action packed / historical novel.

message 38: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I have avoided the Outlander series for that very reason. I was worried that it would be just another time travel romance. I'm glad to hear your perspective on the series. Maybe I will have to check them out.

message 39: by Amy, Time Travel Booking Agent (new)

Amy | 1524 comments Mod
I don't know, John, I absolutely hated the first Outlander book and couldn't go on with the series. I was assured that I'd love it even though I don't really care for romance novels. I found myself disgusted by all the violent sex acts that stand in place of romance. To each their own. It's a wildly popular series, especially with females.

Rose | 4 comments Well, I loved the first four Outlander books, but did not like the last two that I read (i am not sure if there was another one after that, I just stopped reading them).
I felt the author was taking the characters in silly directions that were out-of-character for them, and there started to be far too many characters to keep proper tabs on. A lot of them were downright unlikeable, too, and it was hard to feel empathy for them at all.
Also, the whole time-travel thing became overshadowed by violence and sex (I agree with Amy on this point) and it became more of an adventure story.

message 41: by Tej, On Hiatus (last edited Feb 18, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1321 comments Mod
My favourites are:

1. Tom's Midnight Garden
2. Time Riders (5 books so far in a series of 9)
3. Jonny and the Bomb
4. Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkhaban
5. Time Hunters
6. Moondial
7. Children of Green Knowe
7.5 Destined by Allison Kraft (Recent addition)
7.6 Disconnected by A K Adler (Recent Addition)
8. Timeline
9. Timescape
10. Time of the Ghost

Gosh 8 of these books, in fact the whole top 7 are young adults/children fiction. I do love children's fiction. Tom's Midnight Garden is perhaps the most megical, enchanting, bittersweet of them all. While Timescape is very sci fi and techy but based on real science (tachyons etc). Time Riders is the most exciting adventure chronicles that is highly entertaining, gory and very clever with the rule sets in the complexities of Time travel

message 42: by Tej, On Hiatus (new)

Andy wrote: "I am having a hard time narrowing it down to just a few books. So much so that I have a whole website devoted to Time Travel and Alternate Universes - Andy's Anachronisms.

My book shelf for "Tim..."

Awesome website, Andy. An excellent reference point I would certainly be using. Thanks for posting it.

message 43: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I just bought the first Time Riders book. I have been wanting to try it for a while, but the kindle edition was priced at $9.99. Fortunately, it was one of the ebooks Amazon recently discounted, so I was able to get it for $2.99. I look forward to checking it out. I hope it is as good as the "Time Hunters" series by Carl Ashmore.

message 44: by Tej, On Hiatus (new)

John wrote: "I just bought the first Time Riders book. I have been wanting to try it for a while, but the kindle edition was priced at $9.99. Fortunately, it was one of the ebooks Amazon recently discounted, ..."

If you enjoyed Time Hunters then I am pretty sure you will enjoy the heck out of Timeriders. If you like the first book, Alex Scarrow is also quite prolific, releasing 2 books a year and will be a series of 9. 4 books are released so far with the 5th one due in February 2012. He says he has the ending all worked out in his blog which is re-assuring.

I forgot to include Time Hunters in my favourites list above...will have to rectify that. I hope it wont be a long wait for the next book though...

message 45: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
The new Time Hunters is scheduled for release in December. Not soon enough for me. Maybe Timeriders will keep me entertained until then.

G.L. Breedon | 4 comments I’m not sure I have a favorite time travel story, but I enjoy The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

Some great suggested books listed in people’s favorites.

I’ve had Gordon R. Dickson’s Time Storm on my shelf for the last few months. I picked it up at a used bookstore that was closing. Has anyone read it? I’m trying to decide if it should move to the top of the to-read pile.

Bengallancer | 1 comments For Time Travel you cannot beat Leo Frankowski's Adventures of Conrad Stargard series. It defeats on the weaknesses of most time travel stories. You cannot change anything no matter what you do especially major events. Advance knowledge in the end does not help you. You are not allowed to gain personally. Leo breaks all of these in a big way.

Simon Mendoza | 3 comments Mcgyver5 wrote: "Got a question about Timeline. I read it years ago and remember it as singularly awful. The premise was that the device let you jump to a different time line. The characters jump back to the mid..."

Hey Mcgyver5,
as far as I know Michael Crichton's Timeline didn't use "traditional" time travel. I read this book years ago and I understood it to be that they had developed technology which allowed people to jump into alternate realities where the timeline hadn't progressed as far as in their own reality. The effect of making a difference in their own timeline was explianed by "future" verisons of themselves from another reality travelling into the primary reality and doing exactly the same as the "original" characters.

I hope I haven't trodden on anyone's toes in case someone has already explained this.

I also enjoyed The Time Traveller's Wife and HG Wells' The Time Machine.

Torie (Keybender) | 3 comments My favorite time travel book has to be Black (Books of History Chronicles  The Circle, #1) by Ted Dekker, and by a long shot.

message 50: by Tej, On Hiatus (new)

Torie wrote: "My favorite time travel book has to be Black (Books of History Chronicles  The Circle, #1) by Ted Dekker, and by a long shot."

That book sound most intriguing, I have just put it on my to-read list. There is am upcoming tv series with Jason Isaacs called Awake that has a very similar concept which I am very much looking forward to. I am wondering now if this book had an influence on it. Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfPVoi...

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Roadmarks (other topics)
Doomsday Book (other topics)
To Say Nothing of the Dog (other topics)
The Accidental Time Machine (other topics)
Time Camera (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marlys Millhiser (other topics)
Anne Ipsen (other topics)
Poul Anderson (other topics)