Read a book from each country discussion

Europe > Poland

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited May 10, 2008 10:30PM) (new)

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (BigHeather) | 5 comments The Pianist

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Stanisław Lem's books

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments Right on, Anna. I can't believe they bothered to make Solaris into a movie.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Yes, they bothered twice

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments I think it took longer to watch the first movie than it did to read the book. Or maybe it just felt that way...

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna R Books about a witcher Geralt by Sapkowski - probably the most popular polish fantasy writer abroad.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Sapowski is probably the most popular Polish fantasy writer abroad. Stanisław Lem is the most popular Polish science - fiction writer in the world.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Anything by Witold Gombrowicz

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Thank God there are some Polish authors other than Czesław Miłosz and Wisława Szymborska well known abroad.

message 14: by Agnes (new)

Agnes | 1 comments Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66...

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 8 comments Fado by Dalkey Archive (can't remember exact spelling of author), great book!

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Amy wrote: "Fado by Dalkey Archive (can't remember exact spelling of author), great book!"

Fado by Andrzej Stasiuk?? Or are you talking about a book called Dalkey Archive by Irish writer, Flann O'Brien.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 8 comments The Stasiuk title...from Dalkey Archive. Sorry about that! It's a collection of essays of traveling through the Slavic countries. He's a Polish author...Really hard to put down, and it's great with a map at hand!

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments There is other Stasiuk's book called Going to Babadag about Poland, Romania, Albania etc. About that parts that are a little behind fast world.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 8 comments Anna, is this other title in English? I really liked Stasiuk's voice in print.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments White Raven, Tales of Galicia, Nine, Night: A Slavo-Germanic medical tragifarce. Maybe those titles were translated.

message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 2 comments The End of the World in Breslau, by Marek Krajewski. (crime fiction)

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Nancy wrote: "The End of the World in Breslau, by Marek Krajewski. (crime fiction)"

Nice book. How did you like it?

message 23: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 22, 2010 12:37AM) (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments A great book Anya: A Novel, takes place in Poland, BUT Poland has changed shape and size so I better clarify that it starts in what is today Vilnius, Lithuania. When the book takes place it is Poland. What is so marveous is the prose, the lines, the dialogue and the people.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Chrissie wrote: "A great book Anya: A Novel, takes place in Poland, BUT Poland has changed shape and size so I better clarify that it starts in what is today Vilnius, Lithuania. When the book takes pl..."

At least one person checked the facts.

message 25: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments Anna, the facts HAVE to be right or I go buggy. I have read several other books about "Poland" before and after WW2.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments You're exception, cause many people from western Europe and USA (even some university professors) are ignorant.

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 2 comments Anna wrote: "Nancy wrote: "The End of the World in Breslau, by Marek Krajewski. (crime fiction)"

Nice book. How did you like it?"

I really enjoyed it. I also just finished Phantoms of Breslau, which is good but not as good as the first two. My favorite is still the first, Death in Breslau.

message 29: by Agata (new)

Agata (non-air) | 2 comments Try Madame by Antoni Libera :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Solaris (other topics)
Nikt (other topics)
Renegat (other topics)
Nocarz (other topics)
The End of the World in Breslau (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Magdalena Kozak (other topics)
Wisława Szymborska (other topics)
Czesław Miłosz (other topics)