Extreme Horror discussion

Gory, disgusting, revolting novels?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Derek (new)

Derek (splatterpunk17) | 2 comments Mod
I'm currently reading Haunter By Charlee Jacob, which is extremely graphic and disturbing, going to such limits as describing a demon squeezing a man's digestive system out of his body and eating it. Are there any other gross, extreme horror novels that anyone suggests?

P.S. has anyone read Coven by Edward Lee? I just received it in the mail, and I want to know what people think of it before I read it. Thanks!

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Cavallaro | 1 comments My favorite extreme horror novel is SURVIVOR by JF Gonzalez. I also really like Teratologist by Ed lee, Poisoning Eros by White/O'Rourke, and Succulent Prey by White.

Jason

message 3: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Murphy | 2 comments I give Jack Ketchum's Off Season my highest recommendation. Probably the most intense, goriest things I have ever read.

message 4: by William (new)

William Todd (wtoddrose) | 1 comments You could try my novel, "Shut the Fuck Up and Die!". Due to contractual obligations, it can't be released in print until my newest book comes out later this summer. But it is available on Smashwords.com as an ebook in a variety of formats and, as part of a site-wide promotion, is available for free until 07/31/11. Here's what one reviewer said: "The title of this book is bold and to the point. I couldn't resist giving it a try. Besides an awesome cover, the promise of a graphic story was too appealing to pass on. "Shut the Fuck up and Die" starts out as a traditional tale of hillbilly horror, but it quickly takes a surprising twist, which I can't get into without giving away the story. All I can say is that it is a shocking twist that takes the story into a decidely exciting, dark and extremely brutal realm. As always, William Todd's writing style is engaging and his descriptions are on the mark. He masterfully pulled off descriptive scenes in this book that made me shudder. This is an awesome read and one that will bring you disgusting surprises along the way. Characters and back story are developed logically, without disrupting the rhythm and instensity of the tale. If you think you have the stomach for gruesome and graphic, give this book a spot on your digital shelf."

message 5: by Miss007 (new)

Miss007 | 2 comments Hi there, I found a group for ME ;) I have just bought 2 books Brain Cheese Buffet by Edward Lee and Necro Files: Two decades of extreme Horror by Cheryl Mullenax, I hope I will be satisfied :P

message 6: by James (new)

James | 7 comments @Miss007...LOL, I hope this is not your first taste of Edward Lee, cos if it is, wow are you going to be in for a surprise...I have been a huge Lee fan for years and even some of the stories took me back a bit, I'm talking some pretty rough stuff. But if this style is to your liking, I say you're going to be more than pleased with it. Let us know what you think, I'd really like to get your reaction.

message 7: by Miss007 (new)

Miss007 | 2 comments James wrote: "@Miss007...LOL, I hope this is not your first taste of Edward Lee, cos if it is, wow are you going to be in for a surprise...I have been a huge Lee fan for years and even some of the stories took m..."

Well maybe you will think I am crazy but i have never read anything by Ed but i have been looking around for a great book of his for years read alot of articles and now finally I found the book i want to read, maybe it will be to much but I am a hard covered girl ;) I will let you know when I started.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason | 1 comments The most difficult book I have ever read has to be 'the girl next door' by jack Ketchum. It's not as gory as some, but because its (slightly) based upon a true story and is written so matter of factly, makes it horrific. It's the only book I've ever read that I questioned if I should continue reading it. That said, I'm glad I did and would recommend it to any with a strong enough stomach, very very good.

message 9: by James (new)

James | 7 comments Currently reading 'Devil Next Door' by Tim Curran, you talk about a slobber knocker of a novel, oh hell yeah, if you like it extreme and I know you do, check it out.

message 10: by Jack (new)

Jack Lutz (RandyCunningham) | 1 comments Hi all. Jack Lutz, here. I have a new book. It's called, "The Great Flock of a New World Order," and it has some extreme horror elements. But beyond the extreme gore scenes, there are strange, shocking moments that should elicit a reaction along the lines of utter disgust and fascination, I hope.

Anyway, anyone read "Apeshit" by Carlton Mellick III? That's some awesome stuff.

message 11: by Zombie (new)

Zombie Fied (zombiefied) | 4 comments I have just finished Zombies and Shit by Carlton Mellick iii. He is def one of my favorites. I also own Necro Files Two Decades of Extreme horror which is the first extreme horror book I have ever read. I want more, so much more. I am engulfed. Its so fascinating. I have started lookin up books that you all have mentioned. Please let me know the most extreme. I want to read it!
BTW, Apeshit was fuckin awesome!

message 12: by James (new)

James | 7 comments Just finished Haunter of the Threshold by Edward Lee, holey moley what a book. Lee pulls out all the stops here and goes for a XXX no holds bar carnage rampage that will have you turned on and grossed out at the same time.
Now I'm reading the Christmas on Crack collection, which by the way is my first venture into the Bizarro writings of Carlton Mellick III and his merry band of warped misfits. So far so good.

message 13: by Zombie (new)

Zombie Fied (zombiefied) | 4 comments I just finished reading The Bighead by Edward Lee. All I can say is wow. Just wow. I feel so dirty but those images he created....will never leave my mind.
That is one sick fucking book. First one to ever read from him. I dont think that he could beat Bighead.
If you like Carlton Mellick, you might like Zombies and Shit (read it today, verrrrryyy good) or Cannibals of Candyland. That was a good one. They inspire me to write though...for sure.

message 14: by Zombie (new)

Zombie Fied (zombiefied) | 4 comments Just finished Brain Cheese Buffet. Woo wee, I would never ever ever fuck with vincetti lmfao. screwww that!! I dont know what one to read next lol. Edward Lee, you have engrossed me!

message 15: by Cult (new)

Cult Reads | 1 comments Excerpts From The Everyday Unknown

This book is friggin mad. I like my horror but I had difficulty with certain chapters. Its extremely well written which impacts all the harder. I won't spoil it but there's a bit with a razor blade that makes me sweat even now.

message 16: by Zombie (new)

Zombie Fied (zombiefied) | 4 comments I just finished reading Carnal Surgery by Edward Lee. Woo wee, Ed never fails to deliver that sickening, I want to look away but cant feeling! Not that I am complaining ahahah

message 17: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Vaughn | 3 comments Hey everybody. I've been reading Bizarro for awhile, quite a few Carlton Mellick 3 books, but I just read my first actual extreme horror book, Genital Grinder by Ryan Harding. I havent seen it mentioned here so I wouldnt to recommend it. It has an intro by Ed Lee, and the stories in the book are twisted. I know it probably doesnt say alot coming from someone who hasn't read any other extreme horror, but I think it will please some pull in this group. I have Haunter of the Threshold by Lee, Im going to read that next.

message 18: by James (new)

James | 7 comments Wow haven't heard the name Ryan Harding in quite a few years and the fact that it's mentioned here is a damned good thing. I remember Ryan, if I'm not mistaken from the old Horror chat room back around 2001 or so when he was just a regular like myself and other such as Tom Piccirilli, John Pelan and others. A very cool guy from the get go. If he's reading this, he'll remember me by the name of maninblac4. Having said all of this and the shameless name dropping, I do look forward to reading his material and if Ed give him the respect of doing an intro, then hell yeah it's worth a read.
Best of luck to you Ryan, if you're in the neighborhood, please drop in and say hello. I miss the old group very much, we had some great discussions and conversations.
James aka
maninblac4

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) Jason wrote: "My favorite extreme horror novel is SURVIVOR by JF Gonzalez. I also really like Teratologist by Ed lee, Poisoning Eros by White/O'Rourke, and Succulent Prey by White.

Jason"

Actually all 3 of those books are Co authored by wrath James white.

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) Except succulent prey of course that's all him.

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela Alsaleem | 3 comments New to this group, but it seems right up my alley. My novel, Women Scorned, seems to have people sufficiently appalled due to its extreme nature. The publisher even included a warning label. Check it out if you like.

message 22: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 1 comments Hi to everyone here in this group. I am new to this group, I wanted to know what is the best extreme horror book? I am a fan of horror movies, now I want to start reading extreme horror books. I also am a big fan of the paranormal. I am a believer of ghosts and reading both non-fiction and fiction ghost books.

message 23: by Stargirl (new)

Stargirl | 3 comments Hey everyone. I'm new to this group too. Great to meet people with like interests.

Great recommendations all round. Here are a couple of my own, from someone who LOVES super extreme novels.

THE FALLEN BOYS by Aaron Dries.

THE GIRL NEXT DOOR by Jack Ketchum

HOUSE OF SIGHS by Aaron Dries

AMERICAN PSYCHO by Bret Easton Ellis.

Aaron Dries

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

HEADER 2 by Edward Lee. Really, most anything by Edward Lee.
I second GENITAL GRINDER by Ryan Harding, brilliant stories though I was not impressed with the last one in the book.
KIN by Kealan Patrick Burke
John Everson, Jack Kilborn, Jack Ketchum, Richard Laymon, and Ray Garton are authors also worth delving into.

message 25: by The Hairy Man (new)

The Hairy Man | 4 comments Try Duet for the Devil by T. Winter-Damon, Randy Chandler and Edward Lee.
Or,Serial [free online]Serial Uncut and Bad Girl by Blake Crouch for some novels where the serial killers are the protagonists.

message 26: by The Hairy Man (new)

The Hairy Man | 4 comments You can't get much betetr than - Love Lies Dying by Steve Gerlach.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

the short stories ever nat by ed lee and nothing better to do by wrath james white.

message 28: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 5 comments I am reading the Bighead by Edward Lee right now. I like most of his stuff.
I love Jack Ketchum. The Girl Next Door was to me one of the hardest books I have ever had to read. I also really liked Off Season and Offspring.
Urban Gothic by Brian Keene is a favorite here.
I know a lot of people didn't like Jigsaw Man by Gord Rolo but I really liked it. It is very sick.
I have been reading Genital Grinder by Ryan Harding also.
I really want to read the Teratologist by Edward Lee and Wrath James White.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate Just started reading Edward lee's novels and really enjoying them. I've read the teratologist and loved it, hope you enjoy it too Jodi.

I finished Ryan Harding's 'Genital Grinder' yesterday, it was extremely gory but I found myself laughing out loud at the antics of Von and Greg. The writing is full of black humour and I loved how the stories were linked.

message 30: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Al-Shamma-Jones (kalshammajones) | 1 comments I'm going to second Header 2 by Edward Lee.

I'm a fairly desensitized gal, I think. I've seen almost every gore picture out there in the deep bowels of the internet, I read about intestines and brains spilling out of people's bodies and usually just go "lol, cool."

But Header 2 got me. I was sick to my stomach for hours afterwards.

It was awesome.

message 31: by Mike (new)

Mike Smith | 7 comments Not sure if this one was mentioned yet but the Gentling Box was one of those extremely creepy yet gore filled novels. Gotta stick around a bit because the beginning is a bit slow. Still not bad in all.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Jack Kilborn - AFRAID - Non stop Horror, suspense and gore from the frist page to the last. A must have for all Extreme Horror Fans

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate Wanidi wrote: "Jack Kilborn - AFRAID - Non stop Horror, suspense and gore from the frist page to the last. A must have for all Extreme Horror Fans"

That's a fantastic book, great fun to read.

message 34: by Glynn (new)

Glynn Appleby | 1 comments Will have to read something of Jack Kilborn, I have trapped, but will get Afraid too and have some kind of Kilborn marathon! Some good gory books:

Ryan Harding - Genital Grinder

Awesome book, twisted, dark but very funny in places.

Bryan Smith - The killing kind

A road trip with some disturbed individuals, a high body count with some nice twists.

Edward Lee - Brain cheese buffet

Good collection of of somewhat twisted stories with some gore thrown in for good measure. The dritiphilist and mr torso are my favourites, the former somewhat cringeworthy and the latter gore infused.

Wrath James White - Population Zero

An Eco warrior with a novel way to avert the overpopulation crisis in an original and sometimes gory fashion.

Kristopher Rufty - Pillowface

A serial killer becomes wounded during the slaying of a victim, who befriends a 12 year old boy whom is a big fan of slasher flicks. Throw in two of Pillowfaces two friends who are looking for him and are mentally unhinged..... you then have the recipe for violence and gore. One of the best books I have read this year, a la Laymon.

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate I loved Genital Grinder, sick twisted fun.

I've put Kristopher Rufty on my tbr list. :)

message 36: by The Hairy Man (new)

The Hairy Man | 4 comments Some easy reading for those with extreme tastes...

Nick Blake - Chainsaw Massacre
Adam Huber & Eric Enck - Snuff
Steve Gerlach Lake Mountain
Steve Gerlach Love Lies Dying
Richard Laymon - Cuts
Edward Lee - Portrait of a Psychopath
Will Christopher Baer - Kiss Me Judas
Jack Ketchum - Weed Species
Jim Ballantyne - The Torturer
Brett McBean - The Last Motel

message 37: by Randi (new)

Randi (Horrorgirl) | 6 comments Glynn wrote: "Will have to read something of Jack Kilborn, I have trapped, but will get Afraid too and have some kind of Kilborn marathon! Some good gory books:

Ryan Harding - Genital Grinder

Awesome book, tw..."

haha I have read all of those, good choices. There are some great ones from the UK you can get on Amazon that are pretty extreme. Of course if your new to it start with Edward Lee :) I so heart his work.

message 38: by Turner (new)

Turner (Felony420) | 6 comments Nicole wrote: "HEADER 2 by Edward Lee. Really, most anything by Edward Lee.
I second GENITAL GRINDER by Ryan Harding, brilliant stories though I was not impressed with the last one in the book.
KIN by Kealan P..."

This is one of favorite E.L books. Lots of gore and humor.

message 39: by Turner (new)

Turner (Felony420) | 6 comments Derek wrote: "I'm currently reading Haunter By Charlee Jacob, which is extremely graphic and disturbing, going to such limits as describing a demon squeezing a man's digestive system out of his body and eating i..."

Cover is a fun read but not as graphic as a lot of Edward Lee's other work. More along the lines of Creekers or The Backwoods.

message 40: by Turner (new)

Turner (Felony420) | 6 comments Family Tradition
Going Monstering
Pig
Anything involving Mr Torso, Balls and Dicky. I just love a good ruckin.

message 41: by Angel (last edited Apr 16, 2013 06:07PM) (new)

Angel Gelique (AngelGelique) | 9 comments I *LOVE* horror and gore. Jack Kilborn and Bentley Little are two of my favorite authors. Recently, I tried my hand at writing a horror novel. I think it's a pretty sick and disturbing read. I'd be happy to pass along the eBook to anyone who may be interested, just send me a message and let me know which format you'd prefer.

Hillary: Tail of the Dog

message 42: by Turner (new)

Turner (Felony420) | 6 comments Angel wrote: "I *LOVE* horror and gore. Jack Kilborn and Bentley Little are two of my favorite authors. Recently, I tried my hand at writing a horror novel. I think it's a pretty sick and disturbing read. I'..."

I would love to read it Angel.

message 43: by Turner (new)

Turner (Felony420) | 6 comments Turner wrote: "Angel wrote: "I *LOVE* horror and gore. Jack Kilborn and Bentley Little are two of my favorite authors. Recently, I tried my hand at writing a horror novel. I think it's a pretty sick and distur..."

Oh and I prefer Mobi

message 44: by Angel (last edited Apr 17, 2013 12:49PM) (new)

Angel Gelique (AngelGelique) | 9 comments Here is the link to the Kindle eBook (mobi format) of my book "Hillary: Tail of the Dog." The link will be accessible for about two weeks. Please feel free to share it with anyone you know who may be interested. I hope you'll enjoy my sick, twisted story! I welcome your feedback.

https://www.box.com/s/oxfgymt0fu7wocy...

Hillary: Tail of the Dog

message 45: by Turner (new)

Turner (Felony420) | 6 comments Thank you Angel! I can't wait to read it.

message 46: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (AngelGelique) | 9 comments Turner wrote: "Thank you Angel! I can't wait to read it."

You're very welcome...I hope you'll enjoy it!

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan Young | 2 comments SO glad to have found you all!! My fav's so far have to be Blake Crouch and Jack Kilbourn. I haven't read any of the Edward Lee books, but have just downloaded a bunch of them on your recommendations.

message 48: by Livi (new)

Livi Pilling | 1 comments Right so i love really gory and bloody books and some of the recommendations down below say some are 'twisted' i'm guessing 'twisted' is dark and i'm not that old so should i just go or 'horror' not 'extreme horror' books?
Opinions would be great thanks!

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan Young | 2 comments Livi wrote: "Right so i love really gory and bloody books and some of the recommendations down below say some are 'twisted' i'm guessing 'twisted' is dark and i'm not that old so should i just go or 'horror' no..."

Hey Livi, from my experience the extreme horror novels tend to be quite graphic. Not sure what your age is exactly so it's hard to say. If your unsure probably best not to delve into them at this point :)

message 50: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 5 comments Livi wrote: "Right so i love really gory and bloody books and some of the recommendations down below say some are 'twisted' i'm guessing 'twisted' is dark and i'm not that old so should i just go or 'horror' no..."

Hi Livi,
I don't know how old you are but I am extremely impressed with your responsibility at asking for opinions. These books are extremely sexually explicit and graphic. Twisted is the key word. You are going to be the best judge to know if you are ready or not to read this kind of literature. These kind of books are not for everyone. When you think you are mature enough to try one of these books you will find out right away if the extreme horror category is for you.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Excerpts From The Everyday Unknown (other topics)
Hillary: Tail of the Dog (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Aaron Dries (other topics)