The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.6 (Donna Jo's Task - As Suggested By Liz Brooklyn - Character References)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 67-116)    post a comment »

message 116: by Deedee (last edited May 11, 2010 02:22PM) (new)

Deedee | 1161 comments Another one:

Lulu in Marrakech by Diane Johnson (Hardcover, 336 pages)
Refers to:
A Passage to India by E. M. Forster
Witch Hunt by Ian Rankin
Othello by William Shakespeare
In Morocco by Edith Wharton
The Spy: The Story of a Superfluous Man by Maxim Gorky
Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad
Snow by Orhan Pamuk
Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

message 115: by Deedee (last edited May 06, 2010 05:15AM) (new)

Deedee | 1161 comments To be helpful to anyone still looking for a pair of books for this task:
The Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong
The Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong (Hardcover, 463 pages)
Refers to
Speaker of Mandarin by Ruth Rendell (Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages)
The Fallen Curtain by Ruth Rendell (Paperback, 208 pages)
The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot (paper, 300 pages)
Dream of the Red Chamber by Cáo Xuěqín (Paperback, 352 pages)

Sherlock Holmes  The American Years by Michael Kurland
Sherlock Holmes: The American Years edited by Michael Kurland. (Hardcover, 368 pages)
Refers to
(in “My Silk Umbrella” by Darryl Brock): Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World by Mark Twain (Paperback, 720 pages)
(in “The Old Senator” by Steve Hockensmith): Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
(in “The Curse of Edwin Booth” by Carole Bugge): Hamlet and Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
(in “The English Senor” by Marta Randall): Utopia by Thomas More

The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson
The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Hardcover, 352 pages)
Refers to
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Paperback, 336 pages)

Speaker of Mandarin by Ruth Rendell
Speaker of Mandarin by Ruth Rendell (Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages)
Refers to:
Precious Bane by Mary Gladys Meredith Webb
The Story of an African Farm by Olive Schreiner
Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
Sonnets from the Portuguese: A Celebration of Love by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 653 comments I've come across a few book references in the paranormal genre if anyone prefers those. Sleeping with the Fishes mentioned a couple coffee table books: Alaska the Last Frontier, The Black Sea: A History. It also mentioned Mermaid Wife, but I'm pretty sure it was specifically referring to the fairy tale, not the Harlequin romance - then again, it didn't specify. :-)
Also Undead and Unwed mentioned Shakespeare as an author, James Herriot, The Canterbury Tales, Inferno, and Gone With the Wind.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Mrs.soule wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "For those of you still looking for books for this task, I just finished..."

Donna Jo, thanks so much for listing this book! Have you picked your second book for this task? I rece..."

Mrs. Soule, I read The Butcher and the Vegetarian: One Woman's Romp Through a World of Men, Meat, and Moral Crisis for the first book and The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals for the second.
But Food Matters sounds good to add to my TBR. Read Oh.My.Gods. for a different task, but thought it would work for this.

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 653 comments Donna Jo wrote: "For those of you still looking for books for this task, I just finished..."

Donna Jo, thanks so much for listing this book! Have you picked your second book for this task? I recently read Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes and loved it!

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Oh. My. Gods. by Tara Lynn Childs references Animal Farm by George Orwell and Plato's The Republic. Also mentions Kafka and Aristotle.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments For those of you still looking for books for this task, I just finished The Butcher and the Vegetarian: One Woman's Romp Through a World of Men, Meat, and Moral Crisis by Tara Austen Weaver. This is a nonfiction foodie-type book (my library has it in the Biographies?) by a woman raised as a vegetarian who, when she decides for health reason to start eating meat, investigates why we make such a production of meat--in many senses of the word. In the course of the book she mentions a lot of food related books, a few of which I'll list:

Entertaining by Martha Stewart
Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter
The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
Temple Grandin (no specific titles mentioned)
The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York by Mollie Katzen
What We Eat When We Eat Alone by Deborah Madison
The Meat Club Cookbook: For Gals Who Love Their Meat! by Vanessa Dina
Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain
Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes by Mark Bittman
The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss by Natalia Rose

There are some others, but you get the drift of what is in the book. I enjoyed it.

Deedee | 1161 comments I have a couple of references that I found while I was reading books for other tasks:

Doctor Who: Winner Takes All by Jacqueline Rayner
Mentions on page 45 & 48:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

AND

The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Mentions on page 135
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments Just finished The Diamond in the Window, the first of the Hall Family Chronicles by Jane Langton. It's a YA book. There are numerous mentions of Louisa May Alcott and Little Women, as well as Ralph Waldo Emerson and his works, especially Emerson's Essays and Poems, and Henry David Thoreau and his Walden, or Life in the Woods

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) Just found another book and reference. I'm reading Bulletproof Mascara: A Novel by Bethany Maines. Two characters have a conversation about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass (You could read either or for this, I would think)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Yeaah. That's not much. ;)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Awesome! It's really cute. I've only read it like 6 times... ;)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Sara <3, I now have that book TBRd. :P

message 101: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 23, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments All right. So if I'm reading the task correctly, the first book should reference a book or an author, and then you could read that specific book or a book by the referenced author, right?

Okay, so Teen Idol (because I'm a huge YA junkie...) I've been flipping through, and so far I've found references to:

Little House on the Prairie
The Andromeda Strain
The Martian Chronicles
Fantastic Voyage
Dreamcatcher
H.G. Wells
Isaac Asimov
Philip K. Dick
Stephen King
J.R.R. Tolkien
The Stand
Jurassic Park
Lucifer's Hammer

I think that's everything. There are a lot of movie references, too, but those don't count... ;)

Liz M Jennifer wrote: "I just got my box of ARCs to review, and was bummed that none of them seemed like they would fit into the challenge. I started the first one on the list tonight, and BAM! It fits this task! Woooo!..."

And that's exactly how I perceived this task, sort of a literary treasure hunt with a little fissure of surprise when you find a character reading a favorite author.

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I just got my box of ARCs to review, and was bummed that none of them seemed like they would fit into the challenge. I started the first one on the list tonight, and BAM! It fits this task! Woooo!

I am reading Making Toast: A Family Story and he is reading The Accidental Tourist. Score for me!!!

BTW, "Making Toast" is fairly short; it is 176 pages. Not sure about "The Accidental Tourist", but Anne Tyler is an author I have been meaning to read since high school. I have 2 of her books, sadly not the one I'd need to read for this task, but I will soon fix that with a trip to the library or an order on PBS.

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. In the book, he mentions Sue Grafton, Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (which is what I'll be reading for this task) and several other Swedish authors I've never heard of before.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Just finished The Curious Incident of Dog in the Night time and I saw that The Hound of the Baskervilles was mentioned in it a few times and a few other Sherlock Holmes books.

Felina | 346 comments Here's another one!

In Rose Madder the main character gets a job as a reader for audiobooks. Her boss mentions a few outstanding readers and their audiobooks and most notably he mentions Cathy Bates and her take on The Silence of the Lambs. So essentially Stephen King thinks Cathy Bates rocked out Silence and since I think Stephen King is awesome I'm going to listen to Silence of the Lambs for this task.

message 93: by Melissa (last edited Mar 13, 2010 10:56AM) (new)

Melissa | 30 comments Hi Everyone, just finished reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End Of The World, which I plan to use for this task. The book mentions:

Authors:
Marcel Proust
Shakespeare
Ernest Hemingway
H.G. Wells
Jorge Luis Borges (Book of Imaginary Beings)
Arthur Conan Doyle (Lost World)
Turgenev (Rudin and Spring Torrents)
Stendhal (The Red and the Black and Charterhouse of Parma)
Dostoyevsky (The Brothers Karamazov)
Joseph Conrad (Lord Jim)
Thomas Hardy
W. Somerset Maugham (The Razor's Edge)
J.G. Ballard
Balzac (Chouans)
J.D. Salinger
John Updike

Books:

The Time Traveller (bio of H.G. Wells)
2001: A Space Odyssey
El Cid
Alice in Wonderland
The Wizard of Oz
The Greening of America
The Stranger by Albert Camus

I tried to keep track but I may have missed a few.

The book was not what I expected but I did like it:)

-Melissa

Ashley FL | 732 comments I have to put in a plug for Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels. If you have any interest in romance of any variety (traditional or more modern), this book is a lot of fun and references hundreds of books and authors. It's a pretty easy read. It's actually taking me quite a while because I have a library copy so I can't mark it up, leaving me to sticky note and take pages of notes on books to read.

Liz M Cat's Cradle mentions Spoon River Anthology

I will be out of town and (mostly) away from the computer from today until March 14th.

Danielle (ametralladoras) In case anyone is still looking for something...I'm reading Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman, I'm only about a third through the book now and it's already mentioned:
Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Richard Wright, Robert Frost, Herman Melville, George Orwell, Truman Capote, Finnegans Wake, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Atlas Shrugged

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 369 comments Thanks.

Liz M Rebecca wrote: "Would this one work: The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop. It mentions Don Quixote and The Waves just to name a few."

Yes

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 369 comments Would this one work: The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop. It mentions Don Quixote and The Waves just to name a few.

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 369 comments Liz wrote: "It might work for the first book, but for a 30 point task, I wou..."

I'll see what else is out there. Thanks.

Liz M Rebecca wrote: "Would Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book would work for this task? Thanks!"

It might work for the first book, but for a 30 point task, I would prefer the second book to be at least a young adult book (roughly appropriate for age 12+?) and at least 100 pages.

I don't read children's books or YA literature, so I am not sure what/where the dividing line is.

message 82: by kiki (last edited Mar 02, 2010 06:52PM) (new)

Kate (klc23) | 161 comments Jay wrote: "I'm a huge Nick Hornby fan and his series of books based on his essays in "The Believer" would work well for this task:

The Polysyllabic Spree
Housekeeping vs. The Dirt
[bo..."

Jay, The Man Who Loved Books Too Much was sooo good, and totally made me want to get into book collecting. And it does mention many many books.

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments I'm a huge Nick Hornby fan and his series of books based on his essays in "The Believer" would work well for this task:

The Polysyllabic Spree
Housekeeping vs. The Dirt
Shakespeare Wrote for Money

They are all short compilations of articles where he detailed the books he bought and the books he read each month. They offer an entertaining, cute, and fun read for any bibliophile. It will also give you a very wide variety of books to choose from since the entire purpose of the book is to discuss Hornby's To Read list.

Additionally, I have not read this but have been hearing good buzz about The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession. I can only assume that it will offer a nice selection of classic titles to choose from and appeal to this audience of book lovers :)

Manday | 311 comments Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books also references Invitation to a Beheading, which is what made me read the latter in the first place, and it is one of my favorite books!!

I am reading Inkspell, it references plenty of books, i have not decided what my second one will be!

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Wanted to let everyone know this task is now worth 30 points!

Diane | 611 comments Here's another one: Mister Pip and Great Expectations.

Deedee | 1161 comments Here's a suggestion: In Dean Koontz's book Brother Odd , a character make frequent references to The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane , both by Kate DiCamillo.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Valorie, yay for The Smart Bitches blog!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Liz wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Liz--Quick question. I plan on reading Reading Lolita in Tehran for this and I was learning more about it/skimming through the book to see what all she talks about..and there is a who..."

Thanks!

Nicole | 760 comments Rachel wrote: "I just finished reading The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt, and there a ton of references in it, mostly for literature from the Victorian age. Here are the ones I noted:

[book:The Li..."

Oh man! Wish I had thought of that before I bought the book I chose for this challenge since I already owned the Byatt (but I still want to read the other book too).

Liz M Jamie wrote: "Liz--Quick question. I plan on reading Reading Lolita in Tehran for this and I was learning more about it/skimming through the book to see what all she talks about..and there is a whole section on ..."

Yes

Valorie  | 723 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Ok, I'm coming out of the closet. I'm a romance junkie and I'm not afraid to admit it! I'm going to read [book:Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels|566..."

I love their blog too!! Makes me laugh every time I visit the blog!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Liz--Quick question. I plan on reading Reading Lolita in Tehran for this and I was learning more about it/skimming through the book to see what all she talks about..and there is a whole section on Austen. I believe that the main focus is on P&P but she does mention Emma and Mansfield Park. Could I use either of those?

Ashley FL | 732 comments Valorie wrote: "Ok, I'm coming out of the closet. I'm a romance junkie and I'm not afraid to admit it! I'm going to read Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels. Laugh all ..." I have GOT to read that! I love the blog!

message 68: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 25, 2010 06:50AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Valorie wrote: "Ok, I'm coming out of the closet. I'm a romance junkie and I'm not afraid to admit it! I'm going to read Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels. Laugh all you want, I can take it! :)"

Heehee... I've been meaning to read that. Oooh... and it's been out NEARLY long enough to ILL it! Do you ever read their blog? Hi-freaking-larious!

Liz M Petra wrote: "I just finished The Forbidden Daughter, which mentioned Brave New World.
There was also a direct reference to reading "Harry Potter" but not a mention of a specific HP ..."

If this faint Harry Potter reference is the only option you have, we'll talk. For now I'd like to keep it to specific titles/authors.

« previous 1 3