The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.3 (Ms. Anderson's Task - Birth and Renewal)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 78) (78 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 26, 2010 08:48PM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments 30.3 - Ms. Anderson's Task - Birth and Renewal
A. Read a book first published in 2010. The book may be part of a series; however, it must be the FIRST BOOK in the series. Stand-alone books are fine.
Ex: Truly, Madly or Alice I Have Been
B. Read a book (again, any genre is fine) with the prefix "re-" in the title or subtitle.
Ex: Rewind or Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

Ruby (Rube) | 66 comments Would Still Alive: A Holocaust Girlhood Remembered work for Part B of this Task?

Ashley FL | 732 comments Is this one A *and* B, or is it A *or* B?

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Ruby: Yes, it does! Sounds like a good book, too.

Ashley: It's "and," so read one for part A and for part B. Sorry, I should've been clearer when I sent my task in!

Ashley FL | 732 comments It's no problem! I just want to be sure I understand.

I have Goodreads book I won and the copywrite is 2010 -- hooray!

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments So "remember" counts as a "re" prefix, right?

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Yup! I even looked it up in my Webster's just to make absolutely sure lol

message 9: by Rachel Lee (last edited Feb 18, 2010 10:47AM) (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Would renovation or revelations count?

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Rachel Lee: "Renovation" will work, but "revelations" won't, since the "re" isn't a prefix in the latter word (Latin revelare, to reveal).

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Rachel Lee: "Renovation" will work, but "revelations" won't, since the "re" isn't a prefix in the latter word (Latin revelare, to reveal)."

Awesome thanks.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1959 comments for part B would Redeeming Love work?

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Jayme wrote: "for part B would Redeeming Love work?"

It will!

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments Jayme wrote: "for part B would Redeeming Love work?"

Oh, that is a good book. One of my favorites. I don't like a lot of Christian Fiction, but that is one and I can re-read many times!

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 458 comments Does anyone have any recommendations on how to search for a book that was/will be published in 2010?

I keep being fooled by books whose paperback versions are 2010 but once I look a little deeper, realize the hardcover version was released in 2009. Grrr.

Liz M Beth(MN) wrote: "Does anyone have any recommendations on how to search for a book that was/will be published in 2010?

The popular books section under explore books, after several clicks allows to see a list of popular books by date. Click here.

Also try poking around listopia:
Upcoming YA Fantasy Novels
YA Books of 2010 & 2011 I'm LIVING to read!!
Best books of 2010
Best books of February, 2010

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 940 comments Ms Anderson, what happens if there is a book that comes out this year and you have read the rest of the series, can we read the next 1 in the series (Richelle Mead has a new book in her Georgina Kincaid series coming out and I have read all up to her new 1). Can we read that for part A please?

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Ms Anderson, what happens if there is a book that comes out this year and you have read the rest of the series, can we read the next 1 in the series (Richelle Mead has a new book in her Georgina Ki..."

lol, I was in the same situation. There is this book that is coming out in this series I love (number 12 or something like that) but she says "it must be the FIRST BOOK in the series".

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 940 comments Well I can't do part A in this task as I am in UK and I am BANNED from buying anymore books til at least 3 of my bookcases are empty and also my library doesn't have any of the other books I am wanting to read lol. Oh well, I can wish lol x

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Well I can't do part A in this task as I am in UK and I am BANNED from buying anymore books til at least 3 of my bookcases are empty and also my library doesn't have any of the other books I am wan..."

Is it a self imposed ban? I think the same thing to myself, but I can't help it. I just have to buy new books. It is a problem, really.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 940 comments Hubby BANNED me lol, cos books are all in bedroom and he would know which is a new book lol x

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Kathryn wrote: "Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Ms Anderson, what happens if there is a book that comes out this year and you have read the rest of the series, can we read the next 1 in the series (Richelle Mead has a new b..."

I'm sorry, Fiona, but Kathryn's right. It needs to be the first book in a new series (the idea being that the series/characters are just being "born" and blahblahblah). What I can recommend about the library-not-having-books problem is to do other tasks first, then in April or something come back to this task and maybe the library will have gotten new books in...or maybe when you're at the bookstore, get your husband a present, too *_~ Seriously though, if it gets to be halfway through the challenge and you're still having trouble, send me a message and we'll talk about it.

I know all about book-buying addictions! I broke my own self-imposed ban because there were two books for this challenge I wanted to read that my library doesn't have, and then I needed more books to make up the $25 for the free shipping, and...well, you know how it goes lol I've got probably two cases-worth of books I own but haven't read, and then I just requested a dozen or so from the library up the street for other challenges, even though I told myself I was going to only read books I owned. Silly me, I must have been having delusions of grandeur! ^_^

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Ms Anderson, what happens if there is a book that comes out this year and you have read the rest of the series, can we read the next 1 in the series (Richelle ..."

Boy, do I know about book buying addiction. And now I have a Sony Reader which is practically empty! At least with physical books I would call a limit when my arms were full--with the Reader all bets are off.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Ms Anderson, what happens if there is a book that comes out this year and you have read the rest of the series, can we read the next 1 in t..."

I have the Kindle and the same sort of thing happens. You are on the online bookstore clicking buy now and whatnot and before you know it, you have bought more than you intended. It is dreadful. Fiona, you could do what I sometimes do... Go to the bookstore and read the book right there. It usually takes me several visits, but I read it all without spending much (except the coffee, which I would have bought either way!)

Cait (caitertot) For part A - I have a number of new release books on my TBR:

I just read Secrets of Eden: A Novel by Chris Bohjilian, which was really good.

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen comes out March 12th.

Model Home: A Novel - Eric Puchner February 9th

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To - DC Pierson January 26th

The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin - Josh Berk February 9th

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot February 2nd

Yes, My Darling Daughter - Margaret Leroy March 2nd

My Fair Lazy: One Reality Television Addict's Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb Ass Is the New Black; Or, A Culture-Up Manifesto - Jen Lancaster May 4th

Horns - Joe Hill February 16th

Skippy Dies - Paul Murray February 4th

The Invisible Bridge - Julie Orringer May 18th

Beatrice and Virgil: A Novel - Yann Martel April 13th

The Surrendered - Chang-Rae Lee March 9th

The Ask: A Novel - Sam Lipsyte March 2nd

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky - Heidi W. Durrow February 16th

Cain - Jose Saramgo January 4th

Point Omega: A Novel - Don DeLillo February 2nd

The Pregnant Widow - Martin Amis February 4th

A Fair Maiden - Joyce Carol Oates January 6th

Heart of the Matter - Emily Giffin May 11th

Solar - Ian McEwan March 30th

Tell-All - Chuck Palahniuk May 4th

House Rules - Jodi Picoult March 2nd

The Unnamed - Joshua Ferris January 14th

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 940 comments Cait, ur wonderful sweetie, cos you have just reminded me what I had pre-ordered lol. House Rules which is what I need to make up the rest of my set of hers I am collecting lol xxxx

Julie | 109 comments How about revolutionary, remember, revolution, return, and request? Would all of those work for part b?

Cait (caitertot) Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Cait, ur wonderful sweetie, cos you have just reminded me what I had pre-ordered lol. House Rules which is what I need to make up the rest of my set of hers I am collecting lol xxxx"

I'm glad I could help. :o)

Cait (caitertot) I forgot Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, which comes out on April 6th.

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Oooo! Another David Levithan! I love his books.

Julie:
Revolution/Revolutionary = No
Remember = Yes
Return = Yes
Request = No

Felina | 346 comments I know its probably a big fat no but would Regulators count?

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Felina wrote: "I know its probably a big fat no but would Regulators count?"

Sorry, but it doesn't work.

Felina | 346 comments Doh!

Rach | 137 comments Would retirement would work for part B? When I looked it up in the dictionary, it said the etemology of the word "retire" was "Middle French retirer, from re- + tirer- to draw. Date: 1533". I'm hoping to read Early Bird: A Memoir of Premature Retirement by Rodney Rothman

message 38: by Megan (last edited Feb 20, 2010 07:31PM) (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Manday: Thank you for the list! Those work :3

Rachel: It works! I hope you enjoy the book.

Rach | 137 comments Awesome, thanks! :) I'm trying to pick books I already own for this challenge, and this is the only "re-" book I own. :P

Liz M Manday wrote: "I pulled these from the 1001 books to read before you die list: ..."

Thanks Manday! I was going to ask about half of those. I know nothing about grammar & can't figure out which re- words work and which don't and why they do or don't work.

Does remedies work?

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Liz: Yes, remedies will work.

The easiest way to check to see if you word will work is to look it up just like I've been doing and how Manday did it for her list: go to either the dictionary or dictionary.com, look up the word in its basic form, and check the etymology (where the word comes from).

Take "remedies," for example. I looked up "remedy," the singular form, in my dictionary. The entry gives the word and its pronunciation, then gives a list of ways the word evolved. At the end of the list, it says, "Lat. remedium : re-, against + mederi, to heal." Then it goes on to give the definition of the word. On dictionary.com, the etymology is at the end of each entry, so you'll see all the definitions first, then the list of where the word comes from.

I knew that grammar rules in English were pretty arbitrary, but having looked up all these "re-" words, I've discovered how random they actually are. The best thing to do is just look the word up, because I don't think there's a really reliable way to check. Some words that you might think use the prefix don't ("revolution," for example), while others you wouldn't immediately think have "re-" for a prefix do (like "remember"). Most of the words are derived from Latin, so unless you know Latin (I don't), the dictionary is your best bet to check words.

Though, of course, I'm always glad to help if people get stuck :3

Liz M Ms Anderson wrote: "Liz: Yes, remedies will work.

The easiest way to check to see if you word will work is to look it up just like I've been doing and how Manday did it for her list: go to either the dictionary or di..."

Thanks!

Krista (kacey14) Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show: A Novel by Frank Delaney is set to be released in March. I'm writing a book review for it, so I'm reading it right now. It's another possiblity for Part A.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Cameron Dokey has a series of "retellings" of popular fairy tales, e.g. Golden: A Retelling of "Rapunzel". Would these work?

Arow Hi Ms Anderson; I looked up 'Real' in the online dictionary and this is what it says:
Origin:
1400–50; late ME < LL reālis, equiv. to L re-, var. s. of rēs thing + -ālis -al1
Does that mean I could read Real Murders by Charlaine Harris for this challenge?

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Jenilyn: "Retell" works.

Amanda: I looked it up in my Websters and it said it was from a different word. I looked up "real" in a few other places (since the etymologies weren't in agreement), and the original of it came from "res," or "thing." So unfortunately "real" won't work.

Alice (AliceG) | 429 comments For part b would restoration work? is the re in that a prefix? i think it is as it's about re-storing something but unsure so thought i'd check!

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Woot on retelling! I have a ton with that in the title!

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 246 comments Kathryn wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Ms Anderson, what happens if there is a book that comes out this year and you have read the rest of the series, can we rea..."

I've done that before, waiting for a friend i'll pick up a book and before you know it, i'm halfway done (if it's a quick read) love doing that! :-)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Alice: Restore works :3

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.