The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.8 ("A beautiful thing never gives so much pain as does failing to hear and see it.")

Comments (showing 51-66 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  | 117 comments Cait wrote: "Oooh, I love Klimt too... and that novel looks good. Thanks Rachel Erin!"

Cait, I actually have a copy of that novel listed to swap if you (or anyone else) would like it.

message 52: by Janice CA (new)

Janice CA | 446 comments If anyone likes Marc Chagall's work, you may want to read The World to Come: A Novel by Dara Horn. It has received great reviews.

message 54: by Usako (last edited Feb 24, 2010 06:39AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I went home to think about an artist while staring at the painting on my wall. D'Oh! I am definitely having a blonde moment.

Does anyone know of any appropriate books to fit John William Waterhouse?

message 55: by Asho (new)

Asho | 188 comments Cynthia wrote:I guess I wasn't clear - if it's fiction the artist actually needs to be a character in the book (or in cases like Thomas Kincaid - been written by the artist)...for non-fiction it can be about the artist or his/her work.

I'm confused, I think. It says in the task "a Fictional or Non-Fictional book about or featuring your favorite artist." But then you said that the artist needs to be a character in the book. So if the book is fictional, it can't just feature the artist's work?
I was hoping to read Girl in Hyacinth Blue about a fictional Vermeer painting, but am I correct in thinking that that won't work now since I don't think Vermeer himself is a character?

message 56: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Asho wrote: "Cynthia wrote:I guess I wasn't clear - if it's fiction the artist actually needs to be a character in the book (or in cases like Thomas Kincaid - been written by the artist)...for non-fiction it ca..."

Correct

message 57: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Picasso is a personal favorite of mine and this task gives me the motivation to read Life with Picasso, which I've always been curious about.

Also, I saw someone mentioned it already, but I love The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo so much I've read it twice. Reads like a soap opera but you get a great picture of that amazing period in time for history & art.

message 58: by Diane (new)

Diane | 611 comments Would The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant work? Michelangelo, Boticelli, and Lorenzo de'Medici are all characters in the book (none of them are the main characters, however).

message 59: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I just started Wassily Kandinsky, 1866-1944: The Journey to Abstraction last night. It's REALLY interesting so far!

message 60: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Diane wrote: "Would The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant work? Michelangelo, Boticelli, and Lorenzo de'Medici are all characters in the book (none of them are the main characters, how..."

As long as they are actual characters and aren't just on like one page of the book I would accept it.

message 61: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 732 comments I'm with Tonja on needing a book on John William Waterhouse - even searched Amazon with no luck. A lot of his paintings are based on books, plays, poems,and legends though. I'm thinking of The Tempest by Shakespeare, The Odyssey (or a book based on a myth covered by his paintings), The Lady of Shalott (or a book based on this poem like The Mirror Crack'd), or a story based on The Little Mermaid.
Could we read one of these to fit the challenge?

message 62: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 9991 comments Mod
Mrs.soule wrote: "I'm with Tonja on needing a book on John William Waterhouse - even searched Amazon with no luck. A lot of his paintings are based on books, plays, poems,and legends though. I'm thinking of The Te..."

Have you tried searching for JW Waterhouse?- my library has J.W. Waterhouse

message 63: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ooh Mrs.soule, that's a great question to ask since Waterhouse did paint portraits based upon other literature! Because the Waterhouse books I've found aren't at any bookstore. I have to special order.

message 64: by Liz M (last edited Apr 15, 2010 03:43PM) (new)

Liz M Mrs.soule wrote: "I'm with Tonja on needing a book on John William Waterhouse. A lot of his paintings are based on books, plays, poems,and legends though. I'm thinking of The Tempest by Shakespeare, The Odyssey, The Lady of Shalott, or a story based on The Little Mermaid. Could we read one of these to fit the challenge? "

Mrs. Soule, I don't think this works. Look at Cynthia's post #48. It seems like this task is narrowly defined -- a fictional book where an actual artist is a main character or a non-fiction book about the artist/their art.

message 65: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Amazing. I'm in the DC Metro area and the library system doesn't have a single book about J.W. Waterhouse.

message 66: by BZimm (new)

BZimm | 153 comments I don't have a favorite artist, but my favorite type of art is tattoos. Could I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for this task?

« previous 1 2 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sunflowers (other topics)
Mary Cassatt (other topics)
Nancy Crow (other topics)
In the Kingdom of Mists (other topics)
The Magic of Monet's Garden: His Planting Plans and Color Harmonies (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Thomas Kinkade (other topics)
Iain Pears (other topics)
Roxana Robinson (other topics)
Dara Horn (other topics)
Sarah Dunant (other topics)
More...