The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.2 (Anzac Day)

Comments (showing 51-68 of 68) (68 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alice (AliceG) | 429 comments i bought The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville today so will be reading that for part a

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Angela wrote: "Would either of these work for Part B?

Crossing Stones by Helen Frost

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton"

Yes to Crossing Stones, No to Riverton

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) Jenilyn wrote: "For WWI, Deafening"

Awesome recommendation Jenilyn. This is a fantastic novel many are not familiar with. I second the suggestion! :)

Belinda (BindyB) | 253 comments Would a book about the sinking of the Lusitania work?

NickiUK | 284 comments Some classic highly recommended NZ books for part A:
The story of a New Zealand river (the film The Piano was partly based on this book)
Once Were Warriors
The Whale Rider
The Bone People

For crime fans, Ngaio Marsh was a New Zealander.
For fantasy fans, Sara Douglass is from Australia.

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments I found a book for Part B, which looks pretty good:

A Duty to the Dead (A Bess Crawford Mystery, #1) by Charles Todd A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd

On a side note, Charles Todd is a pseudonym for a mother/son writing team. They've also written a a large series of historical books, the Inspector Ian Rutledge books.

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Belinda wrote: "Would a book about the sinking of the Lusitania work?"
Yes

Belinda (BindyB) | 253 comments Cynthia wrote: "Belinda wrote: "Would a book about the sinking of the Lusitania work?"
Yes"

Thanks! Now I have to decide which one I want to read!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments So I am guessing for 15.2 The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks would NOT work?

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 642 comments Anne Perry has a 5 book mystery series - an interconnected story across the 5 books - set in WWI. The first book takes place before the war, but then the rest are during WWI - No Graves As Yet

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Sarah wrote: "So I am guessing for 15.2 The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks would NOT work?"

No it wouldn't

Wallace Lisa wrote: "The Forgotten Garden  A Novel by Kate Morton The Forgotten Garden: A Novel by Kate Morton

The setting is in Australia and the author is from Australia. I just ..."

The Forgotten Garden is wonderful. I own The House at Riverton but haven't read it. Glad you mentioned it! I will use that one.

Wallace Oops, oh no... I guess H at R takes place in England so i can't use it.

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Coconut Library wrote: "Oops, oh no... I guess H at R takes place in England so i can't use it."

H at R should still work....I believe part A of this task says it needs to take place in Australia OR be an author from there, not necessarily both.

Wallace Jay wrote: "Coconut Library wrote: "Oops, oh no... I guess H at R takes place in England so i can't use it."

H at R should still work....I believe part A of this task says it needs to take place in Australi..."

Looks like it needs to be by someone who is from Aust. or NZ and about one of those places as well (if it's fiction). I did fit H at R into task 20.2, however, because it is about a housekeeper.

message 66: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "I found a book for Part B, which looks pretty good:

A Duty to the Dead (A Bess Crawford Mystery, #1) by Charles Todd A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd

On a side note, Charles Todd is a pseudon..."

Just read this and I really liked it alot.

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) For paranormal fantasy/romance fans, I discovered a few days ago that Keri Arthur lives in Australia. I have had several of her books sitting on my shelves for months and months (some even years...) so I am reading Destiny Kills for part A.

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) Cynthia, The Last Town on Earth: A Novel was mentioned in this thread, but there wasn't a final ok on it. I'm considering using it. Yay or nay?

« previous 1 2 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.