The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.2 (Anzac Day)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 68) (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments 15.2 - Anzac Day
In Honor of Anzac Day which is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on April 25th every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I let's read...
A. A novel that takes place in Australia or New Zealand, written by an author from one of those countries, or a non-fictional book about one of the two countries.
AND
B. A novel or non-fictional account of World War I.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for part B. Does it have to be about the war itself or can the war just be a part of the story?

message 3: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighc) | 125 comments A novel by Thomas De Angelo, Between the Sword and the Wall: A Novel of WWI. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds interesting.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (scrapsofhistory) All Quiet on the Western Front

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Kathryn wrote: "Does anyone have any suggestions for part B. Does it have to be about the war itself or can the war just be a part of the story?"

The war should play a big role in the storyline.

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Feb 18, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Nicole | 1048 comments Anyone know of any books published recently that feature WWI? I have read all the classic ones that I have any interest in.

Thanks!

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 660 comments Nicole wrote: "Anyone know of any books published recently that feature WWI? I have read all the classic ones that I have any interest in.

Thanks!"

A Soldier of the Great War was published in 1991 and has been highly recommended to me.

message 10: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Which part for Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Which part for Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks?"

For part B. From the description and other reviews it looks like it would fit.

message 12: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Thanks Jamie x

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra Cait wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Anyone know of any books published recently that feature WWI? I have read all the classic ones that I have any interest in.

Thanks!"

A Soldier of the Great War was pu..."

Cait, I've added this to my TBR list. It sounds good. Thanks!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Thanks Jamie x"

No problem!

message 15: by Petra (last edited Feb 18, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

Petra Found this list of WW1 Literature:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/13...

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Nice! Thanks!

message 17: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 660 comments You're welcome Petra, and thank you for the link!

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie I'm going to read The Guns of August. I was supposed to read it for a class I was taking my junior year of college but never got around to it. I think beer drinking was more important then. So I'll read it 15 years later....

message 19: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Part A: A novel that takes place in Australia or New Zealand, written by an author from one of those countries, or a non-fictional book about one of the two countries.

The author has to be from this place as well as the book is to do with this place?

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Part A: A novel that takes place in Australia or New Zealand, written by an author from one of those countries, or a non-fictional book about one of the two countries.

The author has to be from..."

No just one of the three options for part a.

message 21: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Thanks hon, just seen I can read True History of the Kelly Gang: A Novel as this is an audio in my local library x

message 22: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 660 comments For Part A, I'm going to read The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. I'm so excited I was able to fit this book in!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I'm reading I Am the Messenger for part A. I loved The Book Thief so I'm hoping this is good too!

message 24: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Jamie wrote: "I'm reading I Am the Messenger for part A. I loved The Book Thief so I'm hoping this is good too!"

I've read both x

message 25: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments LOVE I Am the Messenger! Don't expect the same kind of story or even STYLE as The Book Thief, though. They're COMPLETELY different. Like I would never have guessed they were by the same author...

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "LOVE I Am the Messenger! Don't expect the same kind of story or even STYLE as The Book Thief, though. They're COMPLETELY different. Like I would never have guessed they were by the ..."

Good to know going into it! Particularly because I was a huge fan of both the store and the style of the last one.

message 27: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Cynthia wrote: "Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Part A: A novel that takes place in Australia or New Zealand, written by an author from one of those countries, or a non-fictional book about one of the two countries.

The a..."

Oh, I thought that it had to be set in and written by someone from Australia or New Zealand. That makes it a lot easier!

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments The Forgotten Garden A Novel by Kate Morton The Forgotten Garden: A Novel by Kate Morton

The setting is in Australia and the author is from Australia. I just picked this up yesterday. Another book by Morton, that has received good reviews from my friends is The House at Riverton by Kate Morton The House at Riverton. I also own it, but haven't read it.

message 29: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Would Geraldine Brooks work as an author from Australia?

message 30: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Kathryn wrote: "Would Geraldine Brooks work as an author from Australia?"

Yes, as she is there as well x

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie (scrapsofhistory) Cait wrote: "For Part A, I'm going to read The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. I'm so excited I was able to fit this book in!"

I'm reading this one too. I found it by accident at the library last night.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1048 comments Jamie wrote: "I'm reading I Am the Messenger for part A. I loved The Book Thief so I'm hoping this is good too!"
i loved it!

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 79 comments I am reading Eucalyptus: A Novel by Murray Bail right now. It is set in Australia and by a Australian author I think. I probably should have read this one later but I wanted to use this one for the winter challege.

message 34: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Julie wrote: "I'm going to read The Guns of August. I was supposed to read it for a class I was taking my junior year of college but never got around to it. I think beer drinking was more importan..."

Barbara Tuchman also wrote The Zimmermann Telegram which talks about how the US was actually drawn into the war. I have this sitting on my bookshelf. It's a toss-up for me between this one, and Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War

I think The Last Town on Earth: A Novel might also work for Part B.

message 35: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Part A, I know that Australian author Kerry Greenwood has written a mystery series set in Australia starring Phryne Fisher (pronounced Fry-knee, to rhyme with briny). Cocaine Blues is the first book in the series. I haven't read the series yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Colleen McCullough is Australian

message 36: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Krista wrote: "Part A, I know that Australian author Kerry Greenwood has written a mystery series set in Australia starring Phryne Fisher (pronounced Fry-knee, to rhyme with briny). Cocaine ..."</i>

Right now I am debating between [book:The Thorn Birds
and People of the Book.

message 37: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 84 comments For Part A I am going to read March by Geraldine Brooks, but I am still looking for one for Part B. Hopefully I can find something I already own.

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments I recommend Geraldine Brooks... I have read People of the Book and March and they were both 4-star reads for me.

For WWI I am much less helpful. :(

message 39: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments I started The Thorn Birds and I am really enjoying it. Someone pointed out that Australia is part of the Asia Pacific countries, so I will be able to read both! I am super excited about this!!!

message 40: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyauer) For WWI, Deafening

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Kathryn wrote: "I started The Thorn Birds and I am really enjoying it. Someone pointed out that Australia is part of the Asia Pacific countries, so I will be able to read both! I am super excited abou..."

Nice! This solves my problem too!

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie (cowgirl-up) | 263 comments Lisa wrote: "The Forgotten Garden A Novel by Kate Morton The Forgotten Garden: A Novel by Kate Morton

The setting is in Australia and the author is from Australia. I just ..."

Oh I'm glad you mentioned this! I really enjoyed The House at Riverton so I may read The Forgotten Garden for the first part of this task.

message 43: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 23, 2010 05:47PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Melissa wrote: "I recommend Geraldine Brooks... I have read People of the Book and March and they were both 4-star reads for me."

How important is it to have read Little Women before reading March? (I'm supposed to read March for my real-life book group....)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I recommend Geraldine Brooks... I have read People of the Book and March and they were both 4-star reads for me."

How important is it to have read Littl..."

I read it like 2 books before I read March and I was glad I did..but I think that's just my preference. I like making the connections and what not and having it fresh in my mind.

message 45: by Usako (last edited Feb 24, 2010 07:21AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Hmm on WWI books. Digging around for ideas.

I ran across a nifty book for Part A for those who like fantasy! Guardian of the Dead is set in New Zealand. And hm people could try any LoTR making of the movie books since the set was in New Zealand.

message 46: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 55 comments I'm going to try The Guns of August for Part B

message 47: by Alice (new)

Alice (AliceG) | 429 comments An Ice-Cream War by William Boyd is set in first world war.

message 48: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Would either of these work for Part B?

Crossing Stones by Helen Frost

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

message 49: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments For Part A:
Emily Perkins (born 1970 in Christchurch) is a New Zealand author.

Novel About My Wife by Emily Perkins which sounds interesting!

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) | 19 comments On the Beach was set in Australia

I also thought of I Am the Messenger :) Good book, but I loved the Book Thief so much I was slightly disappointed..

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

All Quiet on the Western Front (other topics)
A Soldier of the Great War (other topics)
A Farewell to Arms (other topics)
Regeneration (other topics)
Birdsong (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kate Morton (other topics)
Barbara W. Tuchman (other topics)
Colleen McCullough (other topics)
Kerry Greenwood (other topics)
Sara Douglass (other topics)
More...