Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Bob's 2010 Book Shelf

Comments (showing 1-50 of 68) (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Bob (last edited Feb 20, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

message 3: by Bob (last edited Feb 20, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

message 5: by Bob (last edited Feb 20, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

message 23: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 23. The Princes of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #1) by Edward RutherfurdThe Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd

I listened to this book and really struggled with its length...I think I would have been better off to finished a section and took a break from it and then go back and treat it as if I were reading 3 or 4 separate books.....

message 24: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 24. The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraThe Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

If I could have I would have given this book 4 1/2 stars....I thought that it was written excellently and Shaara was able to put a personal side to each of these historic characters which enabled me to relate to and gain a understanding of the purpose that each of these mean felt...Shaara also was able to convey the magnitude and importance of this conflict and how it set the course of the rest of the war...this was without a doubt the best Civil War book that I have ever read...

message 26: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 26. Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de BernièresCaptain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

4 Stars (****)

I finished this book and I am so happy...I tried to read it a few months ago and I just couldnt get through the first 100 pages...after that, for me, it turned into a beautiful story...the author vividly describes how difficult times were for those living and caught up in the struggle which was going on at that time and blended several relationships into that which made me want to not want to put the book down the further I got into it...

message 27: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 27. Golf's Sacred Journey Seven Days at the Links of Utopia by David L. CookGolf's Sacred Journey: Seven Days at the Links of Utopia by David L. Cook

5 Stars (*****)

This book was a gift to me from someone who cares about me and it really touched my heart...I think anyone who loves and cares about the game of golf but more importantly cares about where they are in their lives should read this book...

message 28: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 28. Skinny Dip by Carl HiaasenSkinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen

4 Stars (****)

I laughed from the first page to the last with all the sarcastic one-liners...it was a wonderful book to read to kind of switch gears and refresh my mind for something more in-depth....

message 30: by Bob (last edited Jun 24, 2010 01:28PM) (new)

Bob | 176 comments 30. The Little Stranger by Sarah WatersThe Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

4 Stars (****)

message 31: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 31. A Course Called Ireland A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee by Tom CoyneA Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee by Tom Coyne

4 Stars (****)

This is from the perspective of someone who planned a trip to Ireland for 8 men and for over a year either called someone there or emailed a golf course or B&B planning the trip of a lifetime...the author was spot on in descibing the beauty of the country...the golf courses...the people...the food...problems with dogs...."The Incident"....issues with the narrow roads (I had a wreck)...and especially Ballybunion...Ive been there..enough said...

Wonderful book...if you have a passion for golf but more than that if you have a passion golf in a place like no other this is a must read...

message 32: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 32. The Stolen Child by Keith DonohueThe Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

4 Stars (****)

message 33: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 33. Billy Boy by Bud ShrakeBilly Boy by Bud Shrake

4 Stars (****)

A book which was a gift to me and before reading it I really didnt have any expectations...I found that Billy was such a interesting character that you just had to cheer for him throughout the whole story...Not just a story about golf but a story about life..."Billy Boy" was a wonderful gift!

message 34: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 34. Company of Liars by Karen MaitlandCompany of Liars by Karen Maitland

4 Stars (****)

message 35: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 35. Lake of Sorrows (Nora Gavin, #2) by Erin HartLake of Sorrows by Erin Hart

4 Stars (****)

message 36: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 36. Fields of Fire by James WebbFields of Fire by James Webb

4 Stars (****)

message 38: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 38. Kings of the Earth by Jon ClinchKings of the Earth by Jon Clinch

4 Stars (****)

The style in which this book was written kept my interest throughout...

message 39: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 39. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie WillisTo Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

4 Stars (****)

I finished this book and the beginning was a chore at times...the further in...the more I discovered...the more I enjoyed it...it was a good book and probably of the ones Ive read this year I would give this one another go down the road to enjoy some of the more comical parts...

message 41: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 41. In God We Trust All Others Pay Cash by Jean ShepherdIn God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd

4 Stars (****)

There was one part where I laughed until I almost cried...although it was set before my time I remember experiencing similar things when I was a boy...especially the fireworks incident!!...a wonderful book to put a smile on your face!

message 42: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 42. The Rosetta Key (Ethan Gage, #2) by William DietrichThe Rosetta Key by William Dietrich

3 Stars (***)

message 43: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 43. Faithful Place by Tana FrenchFaithful Place by Tana French

4 Stars(****)

Mid way through the book I was pretty sure I knew who was responsible and my thoughts were true...I wasnt sure if I should be disappointed that I figured the ending out or if that added to the intensity of the perceived conflict between the characters as the book progressed...of course being a cop for 23 years myself my mind tends to look at things from a different angle at times...Another very good book from this author...

message 44: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 44. Cold Mountain by Charles FrazierCold Mountain by Charles Frazier

4 Stars (****)

message 45: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 45. One Foot in Eden A Novel by Ron RashOne Foot in Eden: A Novel by Ron Rash

4 Stars (****)

message 46: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 46. Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) by James PattersonAlong Came a Spider by James Patterson

4 Stars (****)

FOUR MORE TO GO!!

message 47: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 47. Peace Like a River by Leif EngerPeace Like a River by Leif Enger

4 Stars (****)

message 48: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 48. Plainsong by Kent HarufPlainsong by Kent Haruf

4 1/2 Stars (**** 1/2)

I just felt good when I finished this book...I really loved it and I found myself caring for some of the characters...

message 49: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 359 comments Bob wrote: "48.Plainsong by Kent HarufPlainsong by Kent Haruf

4 1/2 Stars (**** 1/2)

I just felt good when I finished this book...I really loved it and I found myself cari..."

I have had this book sitting on my book shelf for I don't know how many years maybe 6 or 8. I've got to get around to reading it. I've seen several reviews that said they really liked the book. I think they made it into a made for t.v. movie, maybe on Lifetime. I didn't watch it though since I wanted to read the book. Thanks for the review!

message 50: by Bob (new)

Bob | 176 comments 49. Case Histories A Novel by Kate AtkinsonCase Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson

3 Stars (***)

One more to go!!!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shadow Year (other topics)
Snow Falling on Cedars (other topics)
A Very Long Engagement (other topics)
Playing Partners: A Father, a Son, and Their Shared Addiction to Golf (other topics)
Outlander (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jeffrey Ford (other topics)
David Guterson (other topics)
Sébastien Japrisot (other topics)
George Peper (other topics)
Diana Gabaldon (other topics)
More...