Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

HEA in Movies > Classic Romantic Movies

Comments (showing 1-50 of 150) (150 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Got any fave old romantic movies?

Kathrynn The Ghost and Mrs. Muir has been one of my favorites.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments I love old romantic movies... Some I loved are
An Affair to Remember - Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr
It Happened One Night - Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert
My Fair Lady - Rex Harrison, Audrey Hepburn
Sabrina - Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn
Breakfast At Tiffany's - George Peppard, Audrey Hepburn

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 146 comments Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
A Long Hot Summer
Rachel and the Stranger
Marnie

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 111 comments Pamela: Many of your favorites are some of mine.

An Affair to Remember - Gary Grant and Deborah Kerr
the original - Love Affair - Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne (who would've won best actress except this little move called Gone With the Wind was released the same year and it went to Vivien Leigh). :)
Quo Vadis - Robert Taylor and Deborah Kerr (somewhat of an epic but a wonderful romance).
It Happened One Night - Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert
Casablanca - Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (sad but so romantic)

I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 442 comments The Bishop's Wife

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "The Bishop's Wife"

Didn't they do a remake of that one? But yes, its a great movie:)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 442 comments I wasn't sure, so I looked it up on IMDB. Yes, it looks like they remade it as The Preacher's Wife with an AA cast. I've only seen the original though.

Auntee | 99 comments Wasn't Whitney Houston in that?

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Auntee wrote: "Wasn't Whitney Houston in that?"

i think so :)

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 4 comments Kathrynn wrote: "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir has been one of my favorites. "
OMG Kathrynn: I love that movie ( and the TV show as well)

Pamela wrote: "Got any fave old romantic movies?"

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 4 comments Out of Africa: I have watched it about 8 times and I still cry at the end. ( although I guess it does not fit the theme of this forum
A room with a View
Sense and Sensibility: The Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet version.
13 going on 30: I love Mark Ruffalo and Jen Gardner is so cute in this movie
I know there are a lot more..... but that's all tonight

Titir  | 4 comments I'm 16 but I prefer classic movies-the new ones just can't match upto them!
My faves:
Casablanca-Ingrid Bergman & Humphrey Bogart
Roman Holiday-Audrey Hepburn & Gregory Peck
Gone With The Wind-Vivien Leigh & Clark Gable
An Affair to remember-Cary Grant & Deborrah Kerr

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Some movies are classics for reasons. Young people today even love them. I could list classic movies I love all day!

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments I love old classic movies. A few of my favorite romantic movies have already been mentioned:

Casablanca
Roman Holiday
Sabrina
It Happened One Night
My Fair Lady
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Bishop's Wife (And yes, the remake starred Whitney Houston)

A few not mentioned:

Funny Face
The Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Born Yesterday (this is an excellent romantic comedy)
The African Queen

I have to admit, though, some of my favorite classic movies aren't exactly in the romance genre, such asGas Light and Arsenic and Old Lace.

Titir  | 4 comments Gaslight is one of my faves too.
Another classic I love bt which isn't a romance is Rosemary's Baby.

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments I love the old Born Yesterday with Judy Holliday much better than the remake with Melanie Griffith. Awesome! I've seen all those except The African Queen and I don't know why I haven't seen it. I've caught bits and pieces of it but never seen the whole thing.

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments Pamela: I did not even know there was a remake of Born Yesterday. I can't imagine Griffith in Holliday's role. Now I want to curl up with a couple of old movies, but really need to keep at the book i am currently reading (700 pages to go...).

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 13117 comments I used the expression that someone was "Gaslighting me" last week and some young people knew what I meant. That is encouraging.

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments Yay Lisa kay! I used it once and received a blank look in return, lol.

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 1005 comments Heather L wrote: "I love old classic movies. A few of my favorite romantic movies have already been mentioned:

Casablanca
Roman Holiday
Sabrina
It Happened One Night
My Fair Lady
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Bisho..."

Heather, you sound like a fan of Katherine Hepburn! *laugh* I ADORE Philadelphia Story. And Bringing Up Baby.

message 22: by Heather L (last edited Sep 28, 2012 08:47PM) (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments Abigail - I confess, two of my favorite leading actresses are Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn. I think there's only one AH film I have not liked. I also love a lot of Cary Grant and Bogart movies, but since many of those are Alfred Hitchcock or other action/thriller type films, they don't exactly fit here, LOL.

And, while we are on the subject, I think a favorite supporting actor, often type-cast, is probably Peter Lorre, who co-stars in such great films as Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and Arsenic and Old Lace.

Titir  | 4 comments Heather L wrote: "Abigail - I confess, two of my favorite leading actresses are Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn. I think there's only one AH film I have not liked. I also love a lot of Cary Grant and Bogart mov..."
Audrey's one of my fave actresses too,alongwith Ingrid Bergman.Which AH movie didn't u like?
Oh,I like Hitchcock,Grant & Bogart too:)Which r ur fave Hitchcock movies?

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Sep 30, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 13117 comments Oh, yes! Love Peter Lorre. I remember way back when (we were young and starving b/c I had decided to go back to school), we rented a room to a young kid who was also going to college. He had NEVER seen a black and white movie! He thought they were to out of date.

Anyway, we had TCM so we watched them all the time. We put on Arsenic and Old Lace for Halloween and he laughed his butt off. Not to mention Grace Kelly - well, needless to say, since he loved blondes, he fell in love with her!

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments Ingrid: The AH movie I didn't like was Two For the Road.

Lisa Kay: Too funny about the kid and B&W movies. A friend's son is the same way, except it's not just the old classics he refuses to watch, but anything pre-1990. *Rolls eyes*

message 26: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Heather, did you like her appearance in Always?

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 1005 comments I forgot all about Grace Kelly! So beautiful.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Oct 01, 2012 11:07PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 13117 comments Not watch anything before 1990? Whoa. One would miss out on a lot of great movies. And I mean the ones that are BETTER than the remakes.

Which brings me to the question I've asked for decades. Why does Hollywood remake great movies? Most of them you can't beat! Sure, maybe King Kong, and other s that require special effects, but not ones like Sabrina. Why don't they get smart and remade the bad ones? Make them better? Make them great! **scratches head** I don't get it.

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments I've wondered the same thing myself for years, LK. There are some recent movies I won't watch because I love the original.

message 30: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Maybe those jokers in Hollywood believe that since the first one was so great, then the 2nd will be too. lol. I agree they need to see about remaking some of those bad movies and see if they can improve em. Or maybe they know they can't and are trying to stick to the stuff that worked.

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 13117 comments Yeah, they've never heard of the expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 1005 comments I KNOW, RIGHT? Rerelease the old ones if you have to. Or say the remake is INSPIRED BY, but not an actual remake. UGH.

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments Speaking of remakes, did you hear that a new AA version of Steel Magnolias will be on Lifetime Sunday night? GMA was talking to Queen Latifah (M'Lynn) about it this morning. The remake also stars Alfre Woodard (Ouiser), Jill Scott (Truvy) and Phylicia Rashad (Clairee).

message 34: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Abigail, I may have to check that one out.

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Heather, did you like her appearance in Always?"

Oops, I missed this question. I don't think I've seen this one, will have to add it to the list of movies to see.

And btw, who you calling Abigail? Hmph.

message 36: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Heather, Always makes me cry. One of the few movies that does.

message 37: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Lol, I decided to watch Always and got my daughter to watch it with me. She bawled her eyes out and told me she'd never watch it again. Anyway, she's mad it me. But its one of my fave movies.

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 1005 comments Hey, Abigail is a perfectly respectable name! Even if it used to be a nanny or something. :)

Okay, now I feel like a hypocrite, because I am really excited about the remake of Steel Magnolias. But it's going to be a TV show, not a movie, so it's not a REMAKE remake. Ya know?

I don't think I've seen Always.

message 39: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Just saw the commercial for Steel Magnolias. I hope to watch it but I don't turn the tv on very often.

Heather L (WordTrix) | 694 comments Pamela: Meanie, making your daughter cry. I will definitely have to look for that one.

Abigail: Technically it's a made-for-television movie. If you watch, you'll have to let us know how it is. Some of us don't have cable.

message 41: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments lol @ Heather. She's very tender hearted and cries easily. And she saw this movie before, years ago but apparently she forgot it. I don't remember her crying then.

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 1005 comments ...I've completely forgotten about Steel Magnolias. Maybe I'll catch it on hulu.

Jovanie | 4 comments Recommended: 'Confessions of a Shopaholic'

message 44: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Jovanie wrote: "Recommended: 'Confessions of a Shopaholic'"

I don't think that one is old enough to be a classic yet but it sounds really good ☺

message 45: by Faithmarie (last edited Oct 23, 2012 08:12AM) (new)

Faithmarie Giant.... Liz Taylor
The Taming Of The Shrew... Liz Taylor
Pillow Talk.... Doris Day
The Trill of it All... Doris Day
Move Over Darling... Doris Day
Send Me No Flowers.... Doris Day
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers... Howard Keel
Calamity Jane ... Howard Keel
Annie Get Your Gun... Howard Keel
Pride and Prejudice ... BBC
Persuasion... BBC
North And South.... BBC

message 46: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments I'm lovin' me some Howard Keel too. Some of my fave movies. Have you seen Kismet? Kiss Me Kate? Texas Carnival?

Faithmarie Not Texas Carnival... I will look it up!!!!!! LOL

Faithmarie I do like Liz and Richards Taming of the Shrew better though than Kiss me kate.

message 49: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 9897 comments Texas Carnival was so funny, IMO. Kiss me Kate was funny too. I've actually never seen the Liz and Richard version. I know I should. ☺

Faithmarie O you just might like it... it is very funny and clever... It is one of my favorite movies ...

I do have odd taste in movies though.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

About a Boy (other topics)
The Bridges of Madison County (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert James Waller (other topics)