PNR/UF Addicts & Newbies discussion

Need Recommendations? Post Here > Recommend a book/series

Comments (showing 51-100 of 591) (591 new)    post a comment »

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments The Queen of the Orcs trilogy sounds interesting. Is it a romance one, or more action focused?

message 52: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot It focuses pretty much on Dar and who she comes in contact with-her run ins with evil men, the friendship with the Orcs, trying to protect a young girl from the soldiers...and the romance is slow building throughout. You can feel it there but it's not in your face until book 2. There are action bits but they are not the main focus of the book. Closer to romance than pure action I guess. Kind of hard to describe without giving away the plot!

message 53: by [deleted user] (new)

Morganville vampires is pretty good.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments I am going to check those out then, they sound really good. Need some new series to read, gonna add them to my to read pile.

message 55: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I LOVE the Morganville vampires books!

message 56: by Tonia (new)

Tonia | 19 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "Should Christine Feehan's Carpathian series be read in order?I've been picking them up in charity shops over the last 8 months and have most but not all of the early ones. Not sure whether to just ..."

I would definitely read them in order that way you get a better feel for what is going on. There is a continual background story going on throughout the whole series. If you read some of the later books first than it will give away some surprises. I am on book 13 and I love the series as a whole. There are a few books that went kinda slow for me. I hope this helps! =0)

message 57: by JenBee, Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (new)

JenBee (JennymBee) | 4388 comments Tonia, good to hear this is a good series as I am going to start Dark Prince soon.

message 58: by Tonia (new)

Tonia | 19 comments Jen, you won't be disappointed. Dark Prince is one of my favorite books in the series so far. I hope you like it!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments Dark Prince is good, I have read all of them but and like Tonia said some are better then others. Gregori's book Dark Magic and Jacques book Dark Desire are two of my favourites.

message 60: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Michaels | 7 comments Thanks for the suggestion of Amy Lane Little Goddess and Queen of Orcs!

message 61: by Tonia (last edited May 03, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Tonia | 19 comments I have heard that the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost is really good. I would like to read it. I'm kinda OCD about reading books in a series in order. Can anyone tell me what the reading order is?

message 62: by JenBee, Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (last edited May 03, 2010 11:14AM) (new)

JenBee (JennymBee) | 4388 comments Tonia wrote: "I have heard that the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost is really good. I would like to read it. I'm kinda OCD about reading books in a series in order. Can anyone tell me what the reading..."

The books are in the following order:-

1. Halfway to the Grave
2. One Foot in the Grave
3. At Grave's End
4. Destined for an Early Grave

Set in the Night Huntress world but not part of the Cat and Bones series
First Drop of Crimson

message 63: by Tonia (new)

Tonia | 19 comments Thanks Jen I appreciate it!

message 64: by Britski (new)

Britski | 14 comments Tonia wrote: "Thanks Jen I appreciate it!"

And I would suggest reading First Drop of Crimson after you finish Destined for an Early Grave. The characters overlap a bit :)

message 65: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot If you like a bit of humour and a good werewolf story, I recommend Howling at the Moon and On the Prowl by Karen MacInerney I loved Sophie trying to have a normal life and having all the girlie problems plus trying to keep her werewolf problem secret!

message 66: by Alisha (new)

Alisha (SchalaZeal) | 28 comments Just finished the Jane Jameson trilogy by Molly Harper. Can I say that I did not expect to like this series? The premise ("good girl" children's librarian accidentally gets initiated into the vampire world) sounded a bit unexciting....but oh my word, by the third book I was more than hooked...I was in love. Wraps up wonderfully as a trilogy, and makes for breezy, enjoyable and highly amusing reading.

Jane Jameson trilogy:
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs
Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men
Nice Girls Don't Live Forever

message 67: by Tonia (new)

Tonia | 19 comments Thanks guys I will put the Night Huntress series on my list. =0)

message 68: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Alisha, thanks for your comments about the Jane Jameson trilogy. I have it on my to-buy list and it's always good to see someone enjoyed it!

message 69: by Yazmin (new)

Yazmin Cancel (ykc61377) Here are my recommendations:

Anita Blake - Laurell K. Hamilton
Merry Gentry - Laurell K. Hamilton
Chicagoland Vampires - Chloe Neill
Mercy Thompson - Patricia Briggs
Alpha & Omega - Patricia Briggs
Rachel Morgan - Kim Harrison
Nightwalkers - Jacquelyn Frank
Riley Jenson Guardian - Keri Arthur
Georgina Kincaid - Richelle Mead

I'm sure if given more time, I could come up with more. I'm actually going to try to start new series now that I've caught up on all my favorites.

message 70: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Got book 8 of the Morganville Vampires today *doing the happy dance* Kiss of DeathWhen I'll get to read it I have no idea as I have some catching up to do...

message 71: by Angelika (new)

Angelika | 104 comments Favourite authors and series:

Patricia Briggs- Mercedes Thompson as well as the Alpha and Omega series
Faith Hunter- Jane Yellowrock (just recently finished "Skinwalker"). I love kick-ass heroines!
Ilona Andrews- Kate Daniels series
Keri Arthur- Riley Jenson
Christine Feehan- Ghostwalker series more than the Carpathians I think, but like them both
Talia Gryphon- "Keys" series
LKH- Anita Blake & Merry gentry series
Lora Leigh- the "Breeds"
Katie MacAlister- Dragons and Dark Ones
Kelley Armstrong- "Otherworld"
Deborah Cooke- "Dragonfire"
Gena Showalter- "lords of the Underworld"

That's for starters...I'd have to check my bookshelves for the rest, plus I've just discovered new ones which I haven't read yet.

message 72: by Agofroggy (new)

Agofroggy | 5 comments those r my favorites also heres some more
--------------------------------------------
*nalina singh- psy-changeling series & guild hunter series

*larissa ione- demonica series

*lillith saintcrow- dante valentine series

*terry goodkind - sword of truth series

message 73: by Agofroggy (last edited May 22, 2010 05:27AM) (new)

Agofroggy | 5 comments I dont know why but i thought this was going to be very graphic about her being used by the soldiers and did not figure i would like it at all but i'm glad to say i went ahead and tried your recommendation
thankyou thankyou thankyou
liked this series it definately is unique and original

chucklesthescot wrote "If anyone is looking for something a bit different try The Queen of the Orcs trilogy. Without giving anything away, a young woman is sold into slavery to serve army soldiers and their Orc allies as a war looms. Dar makes a powerful enemy and looks to the monsters to save her from the men. I don't like the fantasy ones with these creatures usually but this was a good read"

King's Property
Clan Daughter
Royal Destinyby Morgan Howell

message 74: by Mariya (last edited May 25, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) this is an great series that you guys definetely need to read. if you've read the BDB series and loved it ur gonna love this series.

larissa ione's demonica series

1. Pleasure Unbound
2. Desire Unchained
3. Passion Unleashed
4. Ecstasy Unveiled
5. Sin Undone (released: 08/24/2010)

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3) by Larissa Ione Ecstasy Unveiled by Larissa Ione Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione

message 75: by Kim (new)

Kim | 14 comments Hey guys. I'm sure several of ya'll have read The Vampire Academy Series. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the books. I'm fixin' to get started on them and just wanted a heads-up.
Thanks,
Kim

message 76: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) Kim wrote: "Hey guys. I'm sure several of ya'll have read The Vampire Academy Series. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the books. I'm fixin' to get started on them and just wanted a heads-up.
Th..."

the vampire academy series is amazing and is just one of those young adult vampire books u need to read. you will love the main female character. this is like a forbidden romance also. i havent read the newest book, spirit bound yet though.

message 77: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (SkippyB0611) | 55 comments My favorites are

The Darkyn series by Lynn Viehl
The Breed series by Lora Leigh
The BDB by J.R. Ward
The Prime series by Susan Sizemore
The Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh
The Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian
The Nighwalkers series and The Gatherer's series by Jacquelyn Frank
The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
The Riley Jenson Guardian series by Keri Arthur
Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
The Others series by Christine Warren

... there are others.. but these are pretty much my favorites.. give or take one or two series..lol

message 78: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (SkippyB0611) | 55 comments Suzanne wrote: "Looks like a lot of the books I love are already up there, but one that hasn't been mentioned is the series by Shelley Laurenston, if you like your heroines slightly crazy (okay a lot crazy) and ki..."

I LOVE the Magnus Pack series!!! They are great and you are being completely serious when you talk about what I like to call.."Mentally Unstable" heroines..lol.... I have been searching everywhere for Here Kitty Kitty and I cant find one around here.. Im gonna have to get it off the net.

You say you like her other series..hmm.. I;ll have to check it out.
Thanks

message 79: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (Tina007) | 14 comments I agree with Suzanne & Plataso827. It's a series I rarely see mention, but the Magnus Pack books are hilarious. Miki, Angie and Sara are one step from being committed and the poor men in their lives, it's a good thing they are shifters cause no human man could tolerate or handle them lol.

message 80: by Kim (new)

Kim | 14 comments Mariya wrote: "Kim wrote: "Hey guys. I'm sure several of ya'll have read The Vampire Academy Series. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the books. I'm fixin' to get started on them and just wanted a h..."

Thanks Mariya. I can't wait to start... Even though I tend to like the adult (steamier) romances, something about young adult always reminds of when I was and love was so new and great. *sigh*

message 81: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) Kim wrote: "Mariya wrote: "Kim wrote: "Hey guys. I'm sure several of ya'll have read The Vampire Academy Series. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the books. I'm fixin' to get started on them and ..."

i knoe. i just started adult books and i just cannot get back into young adult. i love adult books way more but maybe it was just the young adult book i read. i love young adult too though.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments Yeah Sheelly Laurenston writes some brillnat heroines, it is one of the few series where I remember the heroines more then the heroes. As they are completely fricking mental!

message 83: by Serena (new)

Serena DeNardo (SerenaDeNardo) I recommend anything by Adrian Phoenix I love the Makers Series
A Rush of Wings Book One of The Maker's Song by Adrian Phoenix
- Vampires, FBI, Mystery, Nomads, Murder, Fallen Angels, Music! YES, it is awesome as it sounds.
..and now shes starting a new series that has to do with Hoodoo!

FYI - There's a book Contest for Adrian Phoenix's next book Black Dust Mambo, check it out! I love free books! ♥ ♥

http://patricias-vampire-notes.blogsp...

Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1) by Adrian Phoenix
Black Dust Mambo

message 84: by Nessa (new)

Nessa (vanvan) | 1 comments ohhhh, i love ALL of the books by shelly laurenstone! She is soo funny. So if you love those rediculously funny books that make you look like an idoit in public then all her books are for you. They have humor, alpha male dragon wolves lions etc...

And i also LOVVVE the dark hunter series and also the legue by Kenyon. She's my fav author so far...

message 85: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) | 0 comments My two cents would be:

Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward

Southern Vampire Mysteries ( sookie stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris.

These are all fantastic reads... I think I'll move on to the Demonica series next. Has anyone read these?

:)

message 86: by Felon (new)

Felon | 68 comments I just read the second book in Gena Showalter's Lord of the Underworld series and I'm hooked. Today I just read my last of my Immortals Afterdark books by Kresley Cole, now I have to wait til she writes more!

message 87: by JenBee, Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (new)

JenBee (JennymBee) | 4388 comments Kelleigh wrote: "My two cents would be:

Southern Vampire Mysteries ( sookie stackhouse) by..."

Judging by this list I have to read the Fever series soon as the rest are favourites!

message 88: by J.m. (new)

J.m. (GroovyWriter) | 2 comments Something Coming, a New Age Thriller - Book One: The Sacred Mountain Something Coming, a New Age Thriller - Book One The Sacred Mountain by J.M. DeBord

-- "A must-read for people who love to explore philosophies and ideologies through totally absorbing fiction." -D. Gulick

-- "A real page-turner!" -Shotguncloner

Read more reviews at Amazon.

King Antiochus returns to life as the spirit behind a world peace movement, but could be the Antichrist in disguise. He fulfills prophecies of the Second Coming, and also of Daniel's Abomination warned about by Jesus as a sign of the End Time. Very well-written and thoroughly edited, Something Coming is a thriller that will make you think.

Not exactly about vampires or witches, but it does have spirits, a psychic, demons, a magician, and enough exploration of the paranormal to satisfy most fans. It's a thrilling story all of the way through to the end of the sequel, with a surprising twist that you won't see coming.

Download free or pay what you want for Something Coming at Smashwords. Thank you!

message 89: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Phillips (LisaPhillips) | 6 comments Hadn't heard of the Magnus Pack before. Thanks for the rec. Shifters, right?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments Yep, they are the first ones I read by Shelly Laurenston, they are so good.

Books are:

Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Go Fetch! (Magnus Pack, #2) by Shelly Laurenston Here Kitty, Kitty! (Magnus Pack, #3) by Shelly Laurenston

message 91: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Phillips (LisaPhillips) | 6 comments Thanks Suzanne. I'm going to check them out!

message 92: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1 comments I just finished reading "Mind Games" by Caroly Crane.
It´s such an amazing, unique Urban Fantasy book with a heroine unlike any other you´ve read about before.

If you like, you can check out my review on my blog.

message 93: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) | 0 comments Jen ~ "Dhexterity" wrote: "Kelleigh wrote: "My two cents would be:

Southern Vampire Mysteries ( sook..."

Gosh Jen! You've gotta read the fever series! It's my absolute Favorite series ever!!!!!!

You'll love them! The last one comes out in Jan :(

message 94: by Nessa (last edited Jul 01, 2010 10:39AM) (new)

Nessa | 1 comments my favorites are:

Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost
Georgina Kincaid & Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (..these two series made me cry!)
Kate Daniels Seies by Ilona Andrews
Sookie Stockhouse by Charlaine Harris

I also recommend:

Allie Beckstrom Series by Devon Monk
Guild Hunter by Nalini Singn
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward
Shifters by Rachel Vincent
The Hollows by Kim Harrison
Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs
Crimson Moon Novel by LA Banks
Tales of an Urban Werewolf by Karen McInerrey
Mortal Instrument by Cassandra Clare
Riley Jenson by Keri Arthur
World of Lupi by Eileen Wilks
Phoenix Chronicle by Lori Handeland
Merideth Gentry by Laurell Hamilton
Chicago Vampire by Chloe Neill
Weather Warden by Rachel Caine
Signs of Zodioac by Vicki Petterson

message 95: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) | 0 comments hey, just wanted to let everyone know, that amazon kindle has the first book in the series, Darkfever for FREE today!!! The link is below, enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Darkfever-The-Feve...

message 96: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) | 0 comments hey, just wanted to let everyone know, that amazon kindle has the first book in the series, Darkfever for FREE today!!! The link is below, enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Darkfever-The-Feve...

~E~ Riverina Romantics (riverinaromantics) I'm a big fan of J.R. Ward & even more so of Kresley Cole. They are both brilliant.
I have read the first book from Lara Adrian and it rocked.
Just finished Angels Blood by Nalini Singh and it was terrific.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments I agree with you Jodie, apart from about the Midnight Breed series, I didn't think it was that good. I have read the first book in Nalini Singhs Psy-Changeling series and I thought was really good.

message 99: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. (traecrochet) | 179 comments The Midnight Breed series gets better. I've only read the first 3, but the first was so-so, the second was better, and the third was even better.

message 100: by Felon (new)

Felon | 68 comments Jodie, J.R Ward & Kresley Cole were my two new favorite writers this year! I tore through their series in record time.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Darkfever (other topics)
The Dark Mirror (other topics)
Storm Front (other topics)
A Kiss of Shadows (other topics)
Magic Bites (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sherrilyn Kenyon (other topics)
Karen Marie Moning (other topics)
Cate Tiernan (other topics)