The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club discussion

Biology > The House of the Scorpion

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Affie) | 36 comments This is one of my all time favorite books. I love the story, love the characters, love the conflicts, the resolutions, and love/hate then ending. I am beyond amazed at how well this book is written, and how much it is able to teach you without ever feeling preachy or like you are being force fed a lesson in good moral behavior. I wish this book had been given the Medal instead of the honor, not just because I liked it better than I liked Crispin (although I did) but because I felt it was better wriiten, and that it dealt with a stronger issue than Crispin. Both boys are struggling to understand who they are and their place in life, but I definitely think the struggle for this boy was deeper and more profound.
I recommend this book emphatically to everyone.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 86 comments Ashley wrote: "This is one of my all time favorite books. I love the story, love the characters, love the conflicts, the resolutions, and love/hate then ending. I am beyond amazed at how well this book is written..."

Same here. This was one of those books I couldn't put down, one I skipped meals for. I agree that it is deeper and better written than Crispin, which was just okay for me.

message 3: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (last edited Dec 23, 2015 05:02PM) (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) | 268 comments Mod
The House of the Scorpion is written by Nancy Farmer; published in 2002 by Atheneum Books, this book is a Newbery Honor book in 2003.

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy | 230 comments I love Nancy Farmer and this is definitely one of her best books. I'm sad that it didn't take the medal. She has had the honor three times but no medal.

Matteo's character is well developed from a naive, sheltered boy to a boy treated worse than scum to honored "son." I have read the sequel to this as well (The Lord of Opium) but it wasn't nearly as impressive.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 174 comments I finally read this one because Joy and one of my students pressured me into it. It's great.

I'm no huge fan of Crispin: The Cross of Lead (which won the medal) or of Avi in general, but I don't really back Scorpion for the Medal either. It would be by far one of the most disturbing medal winners. I love it as a Printz book, though.

I don't know what to say that hasn't been said before. I dig this book. I dig the last third that some people don't like. I'd like to read another Nancy Farmer book, but I'm not sure which one to choose next. One of my students enjoyed both The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm and A Girl Named Disaster, so it sounds like they're both winners.

Oh, wait, I do know what to say. I'm upset that Suzanne Collins sleeps in a pile of money while Nancy Farmer is probably eating Ramen every night. Ramen made of plankton!

message 6: by Joy (new)

Joy | 230 comments Phil wrote: "I finally read this one because Joy and one of my students pressured me into it. It's great.

I'm no huge fan of Crispin: The Cross of Lead (which won the medal) or of Avi

I would read The Ear, The Eye and The Arm next. It's more sci fi.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Cross of Lead (other topics)
The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm (other topics)
A Girl Named Disaster (other topics)
The House of the Scorpion (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Avi (other topics)
Suzanne Collins (other topics)
Nancy Farmer (other topics)
Jude Fisher (other topics)