Christian Readers discussion

Top 5 Books That Changed Your Life

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emeshea (emeshenaenae) | 6 comments In my walk with the Lord I have found books to be extremely influential in how I view the world. I know that many of my friends agree, so I was wondering which books have changed your lives. For most of the obvious first is the Bible, so you don't have to include it in here unless you really want to.

So, if you would like to participate then please list your Top 5 Books by title and author, and you can give a short synopsis of the book and how it influenced you.

I am really looking forward to hearing your comments!

Grace and peace-
E

message 2: by Emeshea (last edited Feb 07, 2010 10:26AM) (new)

Emeshea (emeshenaenae) | 6 comments As I stated in the first post, my obvious first choice is the Bible... but here are the next five books that have influenced me and my walk with Christ greatly.

1.The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21 Century Church
I read this book while doing a missionary internship in Germany. It shook the foundation of what I thought the church was and how I view ministry. A must read for those of us living in post-modern or post-Christian cultures.

2. Girl Meets God: A Memoir
Lauren Winner is so straight forward and honest about her walk with God, including her struggles. I was inspired by her frakness about her sin and how she continues to strive toward God. I also have a renewed appreciation for liturgy and Jewish culture after having read her book.

3. Jesus for President: Politics for Ordinary Radicals
This is another one that will rock your boat! Shane Claiborn addresses so well how EVERY aspect of our life should be modeled after Christ, including how we choose to purchase clothing and food, and how we decide to vote or not. The idea that Christ should be present in my every decision in life is pervasive throughout the book. A must read, but beware that it will cause you to rethink every aspect of your life and walk with God.

4. Mark of the Lion Trilogy
This may be cheating, but these three books really helped me to witness what a solid walk with the Lord could have looked like closer to the time of Jesus. I was inspired to transform my prayer life and to dedicate every moment of my day to His will. Also learned a lot about how God's plan unfolds slowly, we can not always see the end product.

5. Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time
I just read this book recently, but it cut to the core of my heart. Greg Mortenson's love and dedication reflects Christ's love for all mankind in an uncanny way. This is a struggle for me to understand, because Greg is not a believer. His willingness to understand and participate in Muslim culture allow him to help the poorest of the poor. Yet we Christians are too involved in trying to evangelize, so we are shut out of these areas before we even get a chance to minister to these peoples. The main question that this book has brought up in my heart is, "How can I minister to the poorest of the poor in areas hostile to the message of Jesus?"

Those are my current top five, although they are likely to change! I hope to hear from you soon!