The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club discussion

Scott O'Dell > Island of the Blue Dolphins

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments I found this book an inspiring story of survival and self-sufficiency.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 89 comments I read this a very long time ago, fourth grade maybe, but I still remember how I felt when I imagined myself abandoned like the heroine. Finals are looming, but I'm putting this on my re-read ASAP list.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I love that this is written based on historical events. It is a wonderful tale of survival with a strong female character. I recommend this to any young girl. Definitely well-deserved Newbery winner.
I have daughters and I am anxious to hear their thoughts on this book when they are old enough to read it. This would be a great way to teach a girl about being a strong and independent woman...that it starts as being a strong independent GIRL. Being able to take a challenging and impossible situation and SURVIVING it. Applying modern challenges to the primitive survival decisions that Karana had to make. Jumping off the boat....losing her brother...finding food and just surviving! I love this story and I am VERY glad I picked it up again after reading it as a little girl. Even more fascinating is the fact that it is loosely based on true events. There are great tidbits on this reality just searching the web.

GREAT BOOK....Excellent Newbery Medal Winner......

message 4: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (new)

Desiree' | 112 comments Mod
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" is written by Scott O'Dell; published in 1960 by Houghton Press. This book is the Newbery Medal winner of 1961.

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy | 98 comments I draw a lot of connections between this book and Hatchet. They both have the abandonment/survival aspect to them but I definitely enjoyed this one more.

unread topics | mark unread