Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Romance Only or Other Genres also?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 68) (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 116 comments I used to read almost exclusively romance. Now I also read a lot of other stuff - mystery, thrillers, general fiction. I like to mix it up.

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 354 comments Lately, it's paranormal romance, urban fiction and romance. But I usually read classics and murder mysteries. Not too much horror. I do read biographies and autobiographies but only if someone tells me they are really, really good.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I read romances only. I read a lot of different romance genres............Except Sci-Fi romance. Not a fan of that.

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I typically only read romance myself also. However, I do branch out to some general fiction, fan fiction (like Jane Austen or Phantom of the Opera- which does have some romance in them), and I also enjoy a good non-fiction historical book from time to time.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Whenever, I go to Borders I always go straight to romance section. But, I can never leave without first going to the science fiction and mystery sections. I think its good for me to have a little variety.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Michelle wrote: "Whenever, I go to Borders I always go straight to romance section. But, I can never leave without first going to the science fiction and mystery sections. I think its good for me to have a little..."

I'm with you there. I do the same thing- go to the romance section first- always. Then I'll browse fiction for more of my fanfic! LOL- let me tell you- that fanfic is addicting!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) Romance is my first love, but also classic horror/weird tales, urban fantasy, and mythology/fairy tales. I will read an odd classic if it fits the above tastes in some way.

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) I used to think I wasn't a true "reader," since the only genre that has ever entertained me has been romance. Granted, that's pretty much every conceivable sub genre of romance, but I still used to be very hard on myself that I couldn't find murder mysteries or any other type of fiction that held my attention.

But, while I still wish that I wasn't so picky as far as my reading tastes are concerned, I have learned to not be so tough on myself. Romance is the one genre that captures my imagination like no other genre :-).

(Although, the one genre I haven't tried is fan fiction, and moocho appreciation to Megan for helping me out with suggestions in that arena! I can't WAIT to start reading Phantom fan-fic! Thanks Megan!) :-P

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Jacqueline wrote: "I used to think I wasn't a true "reader," since the only genre that has ever entertained me has been romance. Granted, that's pretty much every conceivable sub genre of romance, but I still used to..."

LOL- I'm happy to help out Jacqueline! If you are a fan of Jane Austen- there is also some good fanfic for her out there too! :o)

message 10: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) I really love a lot of Austen's stories! Got any good recommendations for me off hand?

message 11: by Megan (last edited Feb 18, 2010 08:20AM) (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Oh geeze- you really know how to get me going- okay- here are my personal favorite JA fanfic!

Marsha Altman has written 3 P&P sequels: The Darcys & The Bingleys by Marsha Altman The Plight of the Darcy Brothers  A tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys by Marsha Altman [image error]. I haven't read the 3rd one yet, just came out.

Amanda Grange has written some wonderful JA fanfic told from the guy's POV! Some of my favorites are: Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange Mr. Knightley's Diary by Amanda Grange Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange Colonel Brandon's Diary by Amanda Grange.

I have just gotten into a new author for me- Abigail Reynolds. I loved her book Impulse & Initiative  What If Mr. Darcy Didn't Take No for an Answer? (A Pride & Prejudice Variation) by Abigail Reynolds

I hope that's not too much information!! LOL

message 12: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) Awesome! Thanks Megan! That seems like a good bunch to get me started! :0

Course that's not too much info! When it comes to books, hon, you can NEVER have TMI! :)

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Jacqueline wrote:
Course that's not too much info! When it comes to books, hon, you can NEVER have TMI! :)"

I agree!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Romance is my favorite genre. But every now and then, I like to throw a mystery or horror novel.

message 15: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) I read mstly paranormal romance but I do read a bunch of otehr stuff too. Horror, thrillers, inspirational fiction of a few different genres, fantasy, urban fantasy, historical fiction, women's fiction, young adult fiction. Even every once in a great while I'll pick up a memoir/bio (most recent was I read both of Michael J Fox's books.) Basically, if it sounds good i'll try it. But my heart is with paranormal romance and urban fantasy.

message 16: by Kelley (last edited Feb 25, 2010 10:11AM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Jacqueline wrote: "I really love a lot of Austen's stories! Got any good recommendations for me off hand?"

I had started to post this earlier but had to have some computer stuff done so i had to get out before the post went through. So reposting. :-)

I don't read any of teh JA fan fic stuff myself but my Mom has an author she loves who writes P&P fanfic. in fact my Mom's first ever eBook was this author. And Mom had to call me to explain how t use an eBook. LOL I posted 5 book covers, but i think the bottom two are earlier releases of some of the otehrs. I could be wrong though, having not read them myself. Her characters are based on the actors in the Keira Knightley version of P&P.

Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy  Two Shall Become One (Mr & Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy) by Sharon Lathan
Loving Mr. Darcy  Journeys Beyond Pemberley by Sharon Lathan
My Dearest Mr. Darcy  An Amazing Journey into Love Everlasting by Sharon Lathan
Journeys Beyond Pemberley by Sharon Lathan
Darcys at Year's End by Sharon Lathan

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Kelley wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "I really love a lot of Austen's stories! Got any good recommendations for me off hand?"

I had started to post this earlier but had to have some computer stuff done so i had to..."

Ohhhh!! Those sound good!! I'll have to add them to my TBR list!! Thanks Kelley!

message 18: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Megan wrote: "Ohhhh!! Those sound good!! I'll have to add them to my TBR list!! Thanks Kelley!"

I hope you like them if you try them Megan.

message 19: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) Aww, thanks Kelley! I really appreciate those recommendations! I'll check them out and see what might play to my tastes!

Quick question, though. Any chance you might know whether or not they are written in first or third person? I'm no fan of first person, and steer clear of that writing style.

message 20: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Jacqueline wrote: "Any chance you might know whether or not they are written in first or third person?..."

Sorry I don't know that one. But if you search them on Amazon (or maybe even in here) you may find an excerpt that will make it apparent which it is.

message 21: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) Hmm. Okay, thanks! I was fairly certain there were only two in the series thus far, but I could be wrong. *Runs away to do research* :)

message 22: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) I like to read a Regency romance and a horror novel at the same time. It keeps both interesting.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) I'd love to read more romance with horror/creepy elements. HEA, of course!

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I'd love to read more romance with horror/creepy elements. HEA, of course!"

Oooooh! That sounds good! If you find any let me know- I'd love to read books like that too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) I've read a few paranormals that had some creepy moments. But no full out horror romance. That would be fun.

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I've read a few paranormals that had some creepy moments. But no full out horror romance. That would be fun."

I would LOVE for a horror writer to write a horror/romance with a HEA, as you said, that would be fun!

message 27: by Michelle (last edited Mar 28, 2010 07:37AM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Has anyone read any of the SHOMI romances? I've bought a few from the used bookstore. According to shomifiction.com, SHOMI is :"...an imprint of Dorchester Publishing Co., Inc. A ground-breaking line of speculative fiction that combines the very best elements of the fantasy, thriller, science fiction, cyberpunk, and romance genres." I'm excited to start this new romance sub-genre. I'm just wondering on how it differs from sci-fi/futuristic romance. I know the bookcovers of SHOMI novels are all an anime-type cover.

message 28: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) I've never read Shomi, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Ummmm.... sounds interesting

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) Sadly, I think Shomi is no more. But the books they had coming out were pretty cool. :(

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Sadly, I think Shomi is no more. But the books they had coming out were pretty cool. :("

I went to Borders yesterday, and they didn't carry any of the SHOMI books. Thanks for the info, and thank goodness Amazon still carries them. Here I was all exicited about something new, lol!

Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments I mainly read romance but I also like urban fantasy, fantasy, historical fiction, historical mysteries, cozies and mystery/thrillers. Any book that combines multiples of these is always great with me.

About the only thing I never read is horror.

message 33: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) Why no horror?

Someone tell me if you find a good SHOMI book, I'll buy whatever one you say.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Christy wrote: "Why no horror?

Someone tell me if you find a good SHOMI book, I'll buy whatever one you say."

I ordered Driven by Eve Kenin from amazon. Of the few SHOMI novels that I do have, I think Driven has the highest goodreads ratings. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

message 35: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) Please do!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) You might like Razor Girl, Christy. It has zombies, I believe.

message 37: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) Well, it sounds good.

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Christy wrote: "Well, it sounds good."

Romance, and zombies? That does sound good.

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Romance & zombies... nice! I'll have to check that out too!

message 40: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) I read pretty much anything. So I'm "easy" as it were when it comes to books. But some months I am only in the mood for a certain type of book--Spring and Fall I prefer books that are at least a little bit funny--those are the months when my allergies are horrendous and I need cheering up (I also have asthma, and that's when that is bad too.) Also, Dec 29, Feb. 25, May 3 and July 5 are days when I need cheering (those are the days when important people in my life died--my Father, Mother-in-law, Father-in-law and little brother--he was only 39 when he died from cancer)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) I know what you mean, Ann. Books helped me through some tough times. The week my father died, I read at least six books. Probably closer to ten.

Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments Why no horror? I just don't care for gore that's all. I like scary but I don't like gore. I don't watch horror movies either.

Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments I just bookmarked the shomi site after it was mentioned in another thread. I have too many books now so I didn't investigate the site much. I just didn't want to forget it for when I manage to trim the TBR (like that will ever happen).

message 44: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Some horror is OK--but I have very definate definitions on what is HORROR and many of the really gory things don't make it. For instance, sorry, but NONE Of the Friday the 13th (and that ilk) make it as horror--they are just "slashers" and, at least in my opinion, not very good ones. Don't know why they bother killing off the "bad guy" (whoever he is) at the end of each movie, since everyone knows he'll just be back for the NEXT one.

Now Dracula, that was a GOOD horror book (and most of the movies were also good--unless the director got carried away and really messed up the story with a lot of extra blood and gore)

And Mary--you mean that a TBR pile is meant to be tRIMMED? I subscribe firmly to the belief that God won't let you die til you've read all the books in your TBR pile--so I keep my pile really, really, REALLY big. lol

message 45: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) I agree with absolutely everything you said, Anna! Ninety nine percent of every movie or book that's classified as horror isn't so in my book. Gore and slashers do nothing but give you a nauseated stomach, or want to laugh.

Insane Creepy Looking Guy Running Amok With A Sharpened Instrument = Boring and Predictable. The only exception to this rule I've ever come across is the movie Nightmare on Elm Street (and ONLY the first one.) Everything else in my experience was an eye roll.

(I also agree with your principle about TBR piles. If they don't act as if sprinkled with miracle grow, what's the point in reading? *Laughs*)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) Mary wrote: "Why no horror? I just don't care for gore that's all. I like scary but I don't like gore. I don't watch horror movies either."

I don't like gore, either. I prefer classic horror. It has more atmosphere and less overt in your face shock value.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Some horror is OK--but I have very definate definitions on what is HORROR and many of the really gory things don't make it. For instance, sorry, but NONE Of the Friday the 13th (and that ilk) make..."

--Slasher movies don't scare me. They are just gross, and I don't enjoy watching people get hacked up. I won't watch any slasher movies.

message 48: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) I'm right there with you, Danielle! I think the most irritating, lack of imagination or creativity movie series out there are the Saw movies. Paranormal and really good psychological thrillers are the only horror genre I enjoy. Everything else is either nauseating or regurgitated from every other horror script written.

Torture and gore/slasher flicks are the lowest of the low...at least in my opinion, anyway.

Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments I read Dracula and I didn't think it was horror at all. Scary but not horror. Maybe I'm confused at to what actually constitutes horror. In my thinking horror is lots of mindless gory killing.

I just picked up Pride & Predjudice & Zombies on audio from the library. So we'll see. I liked the movie Shaun of the Dead so maybe I'll like this.

message 50: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 354 comments I tried to read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and I thought the writing was so off. He tried to incorporate Austen's original book, but he was so disjointed I just couldn't finish it. Maybe I should try the audiobook instead. Let us know what you think of it.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.