Audiobooks discussion

What books do you wish were available as audiobooks?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 142) (142 new)    post a comment »

Karlton (karltonst) | 56 comments With J.D. Salinger's death, I'm hopeful his estate will release his books to be recorded as audiobooks. Publishers have been slowly releasing their "catalog" titles (Mario Puzo, Tom Wolfe, etc.).

The biggest exception I know of is John Steinbeck - I wish there were a way I could get in touch with his estate and encourage them to release unabridged recordings of his books. (I was lucky to find a copy of the Grapes of Wrath used).

Here is the top 5 on my wishlist:
1) Franny and Zooey - J.D. Salinger
2) One Hundred Years of Solitude (in English) - Garcia Marquez
2) Stories - T.C. Boyle
3) The Stand - 1990 version - Stephen King
4) East of Eden - John Steinbeck

Marius van Blerck | 27 comments Antony Powell - A Dance to the Music of Time
Graham Greene - Numerous
Milton Hatoum - Various
Gunter Grass - Various
The Bible (KJV) - Existing audio versions seem "hammy"
(Amongst others)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 336 comments RE: KJV Bible — *looks up "hammy"* Ah, I see. The one I listen to is all right. The guy has a sweet British accent, but other than that, it's fairly normal. Plus you can download it online. Here are the links:

Old Testament: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ot/contents
New Testament: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/nt/contents

On each page, you can click on "LISTEN" near the top left corner, and you can download the whole OT/NT as a zip file. They're only like 64-bit mp3s, but they sound all right.

Each chapter has a little summary before it, just so you know (a different person reading, too, like it was added later...). But those helps quite a bit with Isaiah and stuff. ;)

Vicki | 83 comments I wonder what would happen if our friends at Amazon would add a "tell this author you would like to see this book as an audio book" just like they do the ebook promotion.

I know I have a ton of books on my wish list that I would scoop up in a flash if they were available as an audio book.

Marius van Blerck | 27 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "RE: KJV Bible — *looks up "hammy"* Ah, I see. The one I listen to is all right. The guy has a sweet British accent, but other than that, it's fairly normal. Plus you can download it online. He..."

Thanks Sara - I'll definitely try this.

Karlton (karltonst) | 56 comments Thanks Sara - I've got the Bible as the "big book" I'm going to read this year.

Karlton (karltonst) | 56 comments Vicki wrote: "I wonder what would happen if our friends at Amazon would add a "tell this author you would like to see this book as an audio book" just like they do the ebook promotion.

Amazon probably trying to get support for the Kindle - but maybe since they are in cahoots with Audible, they may try it someday.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 336 comments Karlton wrote: "Thanks Sara - I've got the Bible as the "big book" I'm going to read this year."

Whew! Good luck! I'm just doing Isaiah... ;)

William | 32 comments I have been wanting Stephen King's "The Stand". And as long as I am wishing, narrated by George Guidall.

Linda J (lajacobs) | 62 comments William wrote: "I have been wanting Stephen King's "The Stand". And as long as I am wishing, narrated by George Guidall."

That would work for me as well!!

Karlton (karltonst) | 56 comments I like Guidall as well - he was an excellent replacement for Frank Muller in the Dark Tower series.

S.G | 100 comments There is so many old works with narrations that just don't cut it today, that I wish were re-recorded.

Suchin | 10 comments The House of the Spirits
by Isabel Allende
I have not seen this one anywhere.

Jenniffer (jyf14) | 2 comments I actually have the house of spirits audiobook, but in spanish =/

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Damp Chambers and Other Bad Places, by Frank Chigas
2. By Blood we Live. This is a book of short stories, but the Editor is John Joseph Adams
3. Firefly Rain, by Richard Dansky
4. Nocturnes, by John Connolly
5. The Witching Hour, by James Gunn
6. Vampire Forensics, by Mark Collins Jenkins

Hmmmm... can you guess my favorite genre? lol

Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments An unabridged version of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay would be nice. The only available version is edited.

Kerry (geniusscientist) | 50 comments MAN, Joel, I totally agree! I listened to the abridged version (not realizing it was abridged until I was almost done -- I'm usually so good about checking!) and I loved it! And now I want to know what I missed, but I so rarely re-read books . . .

Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments It just seems weird to me that a best-selling Pulitzer Prize-winning novel that has remained very popular since it was first published isn't available as an unabridged audiobook. Especially with companies like Audible raking in enough money to produce their own books. Whoever owns the rights doesn't know what they are missing.

Alans | 7 comments Brick Lane: A Novelis one of the titles that only exist in abridged form, which strikes me as being strange. I think if you go back a few years you find less and less on audio, whereas today almost everything that is well-received gets audio treatment.
Some of Harlan Cobenis abridged and I won't listen to it.

Jenny | 44 comments I wish more biographies of film directors & stars were available, especially ones from the smaller publishers like McFarland & Bear Manor Media. It takes me forever to actually "read" a book - my nightstand is stacked high with recent bios of Ann Harding, Olive Borden, Marie Dresser and there are more on the shelf.

Sandra  (Sleo) | 591 comments All of Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow! Her Cycle of Fire trilogy is being released on audio this fall!

The Curse of the Mistwraith
The Ships of Merior
Warhost of Vastmark
Fugitive Prince
Grand Conspiracy
Peril's Gate
Traitor's Knot
Stormed Fortress

I would soooo listen to them!

message 22: by John, Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2010 07:33AM) (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
Speaking of best-selling books that aren't on audio, I've been waiting for Jane Gardam's
Old Filth for a long time now, but no dice.

message 23: by Ken (last edited Jan 01, 2011 09:10PM) (new)

Ken (ReedR) | 19 comments Cathy Holton's Beach Trip really would be great in audio.

Jared Fontaine I want all the books from a Harvard MBA class to be on audio. Could you imagine? You would get a Harvard MBA without the cost and if you ever tried to get an MBA you would be killer in class! Everything would be review! All college textbooks should be in audioformat!

message 25: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
As someone who has an MBA (though not from Harvard!), the idea of listening to those textbooks sounds mind-numbingly dreary.
Apologies to the visually impaired, for whom I'm certain that might be some help.

Jared Fontaine John you have an MBA? Where did you get it from?

My point is that you can become very educated while you are on the metro or driving to work!

message 27: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
Baruch (City Univ of NY), Jared

There are educational audiobooks available as NetLibrary books (Your coach in a box, or somesuch) that are quite well done - like taking a college course.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse, unabridged.

message 29: by Kara (last edited Jan 18, 2011 12:14PM) (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 59 comments Just of the top of my head.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War UNABRIDGED.

Anything by David Gemmell!

I wish books by Tamora Pierce that were narrated by Tamora Pierce would be redone using a different narrator.

message 30: by MissSusie (last edited Jan 02, 2011 07:29AM) (new)

MissSusie | 1479 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "All of Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow! Her Cycle of Fire trilogy is being released on audio this fall!

The Ships of Merior
Warho..."</i>

I agree the Cycle of fire trilogy is fantastic on audio would love to see the rest of her books on audio too!
I would like to see more [author:Juliet Marillier
they only have 3 on audible and none of the sevenwaters books. I would like to see them and narrated by Davina Porter.

Sandra  (Sleo) | 591 comments Susie wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "All of Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow! Her Cycle of Fire trilogy is being released on audio this fall!

[book:The Ships o..."

I've yet to read Marillier, but she's on my list!

I'd also love to see Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles and House of Niccolo series in digital format. Audible has one of them only, a ridiculous thing to do - have one of a series! The books are available only from Recordedbooks.com and some of them only in cassette tape format, of all ridiculous things. And they're very expensive to rent.

message 32: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
Can you get them from your library via Inter-Library Loan?

Sandra  (Sleo) | 591 comments John wrote: "Can you get them from your library via Inter-Library Loan?"

I haven't tried actually going to the library as it's way out of my beaten path, but I have looked online and nada. I guess a visit to the library is next - :)

Elaine | 6 comments Old Filth by Jane Gardam. Audiobook available in UK but not in US. It's time to bring it over!

message 35: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
I've been holding off waiting on the audio!!!

Dacia | 102 comments I just completed my MBA, and I actually DID get to listen to one of my "text books" on audio. It was called "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. It was one of the best books we had in the whole program, and I recommend it!

Also, you can get all the Harvard Business Reviews as pdf's, which you could probably convert using a text to speech program. Of course, I'm not sure how cheap THAT would be, since those things are like $7 each!

message 37: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
Dacia:

Once upon a time I listened to an Audible book that I thought was general interest, but turned out to be a marketing book. I wouldn't want to listen to a textbook if I didn't have to, but glad yours worked out well!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm no MBA, but if you want to read a good textbook I teach with, Half the Sky is available unabridged at Audible.

Sandra  (Sleo) | 591 comments John wrote: "Can you get them from your library via Inter-Library Loan?"

I wwent today, and they don't have the last three. Only one, The Game of Kings, which I already have.

Susan (SusieQ69) | 16 comments Shogun and Watership Down. I listened to Shogun on tape, but it's not available on CD. :-(

message 41: by Susan (last edited Jan 03, 2011 11:48AM) (new)

Susan (SusieQ69) | 16 comments I wish books by Tamora Pierce that were narrated by Tamora Pierce would be redone using a different narrator.

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I was almost getting in to one of her stories, but I couldn't finish it b/c I absolutely couldn't STAND listening to her anymore.

message 42: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "John wrote: "Can you get them from your library via Inter-Library Loan?"

I wwent today, and they don't have the last three. Only one, The Game of Kings, which I already have."

Did you ask if they can order the ones they don't have via Inter-Library Loan for you?

Jolie (JolieGirl) | 15 comments I wish that ALL of Kristen Britain's series were available. I love the series and cannot wait until release of the fourth book in February!
Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain
First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2) by Kristen Britain
The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3) by Kristen Britain
Blackveil (Green Rider) by Kristen Britain

MissSusie | 1479 comments I am currently reading a papercopy of The Eyre Affair and thought I'd check audible for the rest of the series to listen to on audio and they have all the books BUT book 2 Lost in a Good Book so it would be nice if they had the entire series!

message 45: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
I ran across that once with a series, ending up getting the missing one via Inter-Library Loan.

MissSusie | 1479 comments Yeah I may have to try that

Catie (nematome) Hey Susie - my library has Watership Down and Shogun, both unabridged - are you sure audible doesn't have them? I listened to the beginning of Shogun, but then decided to just read it (it's almost 70 hours I think!). What a great book!! It's one of my favorites. Ditto for Watership Down, which is great on audio. I even got my husband to listen to it.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Audible has both, and Watership Down is on sale.

message 49: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3134 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "Old Filth by Jane Gardam. Audiobook available in UK but not in US. It's time to bring it over!"

Added at Audible today!!!

Elaine | 6 comments John wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Old Filth by Jane Gardam. Audiobook available in UK but not in US. It's time to bring it over!"

Added at Audible today!!!"

What a happy coincidence. Looks like I joined your audiobook group at just the right time. Thanks for keeping an eye out. I hope "Old Filth" will have been worth the wait.

« previous 1 3