Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > january 2010 - sandi

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 667 comments Had a very good month with more variety than usual.

Top Reads

Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia, #3) by Deanna Raybourn
Silent on the Moor
Deanna Raybourn
Not quite as humorous or romantic as the previous books in the series (kind of gothic in tone) but still a very enjoyable read.

Bringing the Heat by Mark Bowden
Bringing the Heat
Mark Bowden
Would have been a five star read if I actually cared about the Philadelphia Eagles. Bowden must have had unbelievable access and he did not waste it. Lots of interesting tidbits from the 1992 NFL season (I did not know that Jeff Fisher was interviewed for the Philly job after Buddy Ryan was fired and almost got the job).

The First Rule by Robert Crais
The First Rule
Robert Crais
My favorite for the month. A really smooth thriller

The Darkness and the Deep by Aline Templeton
The Darkness and the Deep
Aline Templeton
This is the second book in this series and I really enjoyed the rural Scottish setting and the realistic characters.

Good Reads

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson
The Girl Who Played with Fire
Stieg Larsson
I think I am a bit in the minority on this book. I found it very slow in the beginning with lots of unrelated digressions that did not add to the story. The last 1/4 of the book though was really suspenseful and I am looking forward to the final book in the trilogy (though I do think both of the main characters are completely unrealistic). I listened to the audio version narrated by Simon Vance.

Death of a Unicorn
Peter Dickinson
A young socialite meets a mysterious older man who sets her up as a society columnist at a magazine he owns in the 1950's. The author worked at Punch magazine for many years.

The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby
The Polysyllabic Spree
Nick Hornby
Collection of columns for a magazine that compiles the books that Hornby purchases vs. those he actually reads each month. Like any good bibliophile the acquisitions usually outnumber the finished books.

[image error]
Knives at Dawn: America's Quest for Culinary Glory at the Legendary Bocuse d'Or Competition
Andrew Friedman
Follows the American team's preparation and outcome at the famous food competition held in France.

Getting Stoned with Savages A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu by J. Maarten Troost
Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu
J. Maarten Troost
While not as good as the author's previous book (The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific) still, an amusing look at island life. Audio read by Simon Vance.

The Murder at the Vicarage A Miss Marple Mystery by Agatha Christie
The Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery
Agatha Christie
The first Miss Marple. I was surprised that Miss Marple was really just a supporting player in this book since the first person narration was by the vicar. I listened to the audio which was read ably by James Saxon.

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
Kate Wilhelm
Science fiction classic about cloning. Did have a bit of a quibble with the narration by Anna Fields since most of the main characters were male and her masculine voices were all pretty wimpy.

Talking About Detective Fiction by P.D. James
Talking About Detective Fiction
P.D. James
The author's views on the enduring popularity of the detective story.

Bad Read

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo
Sworn to Silence
Linda Castillo
Just did not like this audio book. Thought all the characters acted stupidly throughout the book and that the violence was overdone. Need to learn to give up on audios though the narration by Kathleen McInerney was, at least, competent.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 8248 comments Wow, Sandi! great month!
I am so glad Jeff didn't get that job! ;)
I think my reading history with The Girl Who Played with Fire coincides with your experience about the beginning being a bit slow. I have picked it back up after finally getting my turn again at the library. I wonder if I would have had more luck the first time with the audio...

Sandi wrote: "Had a very good month with more variety than usual.
Bringing the Heat Mark Bowden
Would have been a five star read if I actually cared about the Philadelphia Eagles. Bowden must have had unbelievable access and he did not waste it. Lots of interesting tidbits from the 1992 NFL season (I did not know that Jeff Fisher was interviewed for the Philly job after Buddy Ryan was fired and almost got the job). .."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Murder at the Vicarage (other topics)
Bringing the Heat (other topics)
The Girl Who Played with Fire (other topics)
Silent on the Moor (other topics)
Sworn to Silence (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Agatha Christie (other topics)
P.D. James (other topics)
Andrew Friedman (other topics)
Peter Dickinson (other topics)
Robert Crais (other topics)
More...