Stephen King Fans discussion

Lisey's Story
This topic is about Lisey's Story
Talk about the Novels > Lisey's Story

Comments (showing 1-50 of 146) (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments Hummm... well I looked all over for a thread that had been already started on this book and apparently we haven't discussed this book at all before! So who's reading along? And everyone beware of spoilers...

message 2: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2746 comments I will be discussing... but maybe not reading again. I will try to squeeze it in if I can, but I have a bunch of library books out that are due soon and need to be read, and I'm only midway through Dreamcatcher...

We shall see. But I will definitely participate.

message 3: by Sonya (last edited Jan 31, 2010 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonya McNeil (sonyamcneil) | 2 comments I loved this book! It was a great story and had true King style. If you have not read Dreamcatcher or Under the Dome yet then you are really missing out. He always captures the human condition and somehow makes a joke out of it, scares us to death and makes us cry. I love him.

message 4: by Deb... (new)

Deb... | 3 comments I have started to read this book for the third time. Something has always come up that makes me stop. Hopefully this time I can manage to finish it.

Sonya, I haven't read "Under The Dome" yet but I have read "Dreamcatcher" as well as seen the movie. I loved the book. I have full intention on reading "Under The Dome" but unfortunately lack the time.

Joanie | 51 comments I loved this book. I found myself thinking about the characters all the time, it really stayed with me. I don't know that I'll read it again but I'm interested to see what others think.

Kandice | 1653 comments I've read this book a few times and audio-ed it a few times. I love it, and I know that's a minority opinion. I said this as I read it and in my review, but I saw it as a kind of love letter to Tabitha. Lisey has quite a job just being Scott's wife, and while not all of that is because of his writer status, a lot of it is.

message 7: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Mueller | 305 comments BOOLYA!!!!!
I love that word.

Lisa | 2 comments I have just started to re-read this today. Lisey's Story is the first & only book that after finishing the last page I immediately turned to the beginning & read it again! I even have my own 'yum-yum tree'.

message 9: by Bondama (last edited Feb 02, 2010 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bondama (Kerensa) | 866 comments "Lisey's Story affected me in a quiet, extremely intense way. In one sense, this is his most personal book. The character of Scott is not autobiographical, but so much of the story is. I love this book so very much.

Erick Burnham | 42 comments Bondama wrote: ""Lisey's Story affected me in a quiet, extremely intense way. In one sense, this is his most personal book. The character of Scott is not autobiographical, but so much of the story is. I love th..."

I like the comment about the love letter to Tabitha, I hadn't thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense.

I also thought there was some irony in the story. Stephen King is often asked where the stories come from. It is thought that something so dark and terrible must come from a special place or an exceptionally dark mind. He has always responded that they don't come from anywhere special but now he wrote a story showing an author having such a place.

message 11: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments I will be starting this tonight!

Leslie (LeslieHW) | 152 comments Lisa wrote: "I even have my own 'yum-y..."

Oh! That was so descriptive. I want a yum-yum tree too. :)

message 13: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve Boulanger (steveboulanger) | 1 comments Hello, I'm new to the group & I'm going to start reading Lisey's Story tonight! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this book so I'm excited to see what it's all about.

message 14: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2746 comments Hi Steve! Welcome to the group. :D I hope you enjoy Lisey, I loved it.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I loved Lisey's story! I read it before it came out. It was the first (of only 2) Stephen King advance copies that I'd been able to get my hands on at my job. (I was doing such a happy dance when my boss handed it to me!! lol) I absolutely loved it. I want my own personal Boo Ya Moon! And there is such a sweet love story there....a really sweet connection between Lisey and her husband, Scott!

Definitely need to reread!

message 16: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2746 comments You know what's funny, my parents names are Scott and Lisa.

They are probably about as different from Lisey and Scott as possible, but I got a little shock when I realized Lisey was a version of Lisa. LOL

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Becky wrote: "You know what's funny, my parents names are Scott and Lisa.

They are probably about as different from Lisey and Scott as possible, but I got a little shock when I realized Lisey was a version o..."

I'm sure you did. lol. It's a small world!

Erick Burnham | 42 comments You know what is scary though? My mother is a dead ringer for Kathy Bates. She lives in Maine too, which makes watching Dolores Claiborne a real treat!

Sorry to hijack the thread but Becky gave me the smallest opening to mention it.

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 2 comments Erick wrote: "You know what is scary though? My mother is a dead ringer for Kathy Bates. She lives in Maine too, which makes watching Dolores Claiborne a real treat!

Sorry to hijack the thread but Becky gave ..."

At least with Dolores Claiborne the guy had it coming. But Misery on the other hand... I have never been able to read that one more than once. (And only saw the movie once)

Erick Burnham | 42 comments Lisa wrote: "Erick wrote: "You know what is scary though? My mother is a dead ringer for Kathy Bates. She lives in Maine too, which makes watching Dolores Claiborne a real treat!

Sorry to hijack the thread..."

Of course, my mother is nothing like those characters either.

message 21: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Kathy wrote: "I loved Lisey's story! I read it before it came out. It was the first (of only 2) Stephen King advance copies that I'd been able to get my hands on at my job. (I was doing such a happy dance whe..."

Where do you work Kathy? (actually, what kind of work? not meaning to ask too personal a question.)
I'm a Reference Librarian at a PL in Florida, but am not privy to advance copies.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments That's ok, Tom. I am a manager at a local independent bookstore on Long Island. And with that comes (if we're lucky) advance copies of books. Unfortunately, Stephen King doesn't need to promote his books ahead like that, so there have only been 2 of his in the 8 years I've worked here. lol.

message 23: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2746 comments Erick, I have an innate ability to derail topics. :P

Leslie (LeslieHW) | 152 comments ha ha ha! I LOVE a good derailment. :D

message 25: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments I am about 80 pages in... it kinda drives me nuts when Lisey says smucking instead of f**king. :) My mind just wants it to start with an F. I really enjoy how this story is starting off. EXCELLENT! I am having a hard time pronouncing Lisey.. LIC? LIZZY?

Bonita (NMBonita) LEE-CEE

message 27: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments WHOA! I wasn't pronouncing it like that at all!

Bonita (NMBonita) I know. I wasn't either. Guess it doesn't matter.

message 29: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments I am about 100 pages in... the character Amanda is hard to read about. Where she cuts herself. I don't know how cutters do it, or drug addicts for that matter. I don't like needles.. yikes, and to cut myself scares me even more. What a terrible illness to be a cutter.

Rachel | 699 comments I have to admit the first time I read this i was unemployed and deeply depressed so i really identified with Amanda and even Scott when he would go inside his head and disappear. I found I was doing that too. It kinda creeped me out.

message 31: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments It was amazing to me that Amanda and even Lisey would act like nothing really happened after the cutting was over. I don't know if that's because it had gone on for years and years? But they would just start having a conversation as if no cutting had been done at all!

Kandice | 1653 comments Angie wrote: "It was amazing to me that Amanda and even Lisey would act like nothing really happened after the cutting was over. I don't know if that's because it had gone on for years and years? But they woul..."

Definitely because of the years and years of dysfunction. Not cutting, but I do have experience with some rather destructive, sometimes strange behaviour from relatives, and as quickly as you move on...it's less painful. Doesn't help in the long run, but it's easy to get used to almost anything.

message 33: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments What exactly is BOOL? Or do we learn more about the definition as we read on?

message 34: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2746 comments It'll be explained as you go... :)

Kandice | 1653 comments There are different sorts of bools as well, so you really just have to "get" the meaning from Scott's story.

Bryan (Circlecast) | 1 comments Would like to partake in the discussion Read Lisey's Story last year and those who are reading it will find some very remember able moments.

Lynne I read this book too long ago to have much in depth memory of it, it was not a favorite so only read it one time. I would love to re read The Stand or Pet Semetary or even IT. But I skipped re-reading this one. I remember the violence of this book and the sister cutting herself, and the alternate world, but not too many details.

Kandice | 1653 comments It's so funny how we all love King and yet have such a huge swing of favorites or "not favorites". This is one of my very favorite's of his. I devoured it in about 2 days when it first came out, re-read it within a few months, purchased it on CD and have listened twice.

Everything about it appeals to me. As soon as I saw that gorgeous cover I was just sucked in. It's one of my favorite covers of any of his books and seems a pity that it can't be exactly duplicated for pb.

message 39: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2746 comments I like the PB cover better...

Kandice | 1653 comments Lisey's Story by Stephen King

That's the only one I could find and it's the same as my HB. There's no way to see the actual book under the dusk jacket. Is that what the pb looks like?

message 41: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2746 comments No... This is the PB:
Lisey's Story  A Novel by Stephen King

Kandice | 1653 comments I'm going to take a picture of the HB without the dustjacket.

message 43: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments I am loving this book!

message 44: by Tek (new) - added it

Tek | 51 comments I might read this after the book Im currently on...but itll be after Feb.

Tania (thecure) Wow I didn't know there was a book to read each month here but turns out I'm actually reading Lisey's Story what a coincidence. I will be reading along then.

Tania (thecure) This is the picture under the jacket. Beautiful.
Lisey's Story by Stephen King

message 47: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - added it

Angie | 2126 comments I doesn't seem to be the most popular book we have read as a monthly read. Popular meaning as far as discussions go.

Misty Dupuis | 16 comments Okay, I'm not going to read the thread yet, since I'm not through with the book, but I had to share something I thought might make people laugh. My husband is out of town right now. I was trying to relax in the bath while reading this book, and I was getting all jumpy. I'm 37 years old for goodness sake, and I'm jumping at shadows because I'm reading King after dark!!! Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful. I guess I'll have to wait until he gets home to finish reading it.

message 49: by Leshawn (new) - added it

Leshawn | 17 comments Misty,
When I was snowbound, I stopped reading because it was scaring me. There are some very disturbing things in this book.
Angie,
I was trying to wait until I was finished reading it to comment. I'm a little slow this month!

message 50: by Betsy (last edited Feb 25, 2010 04:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betsy Boo (BetsyBoo) | 195 comments I just finished my re-read. I mentioned this in my review, but I'll say it again here. This book was so intensely personal I felt like a voyeur...so well written I felt like I was peeking in Scott & Lisey's windows. I love how he explains the inner workings of a long, good marriage. So good that there are times when you don't even have to speak to each other to understand where the other person is coming from. I also found myself a little envious!

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lisey's Story (other topics)
Lisey's Story (other topics)