Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Series Discussions > The Hollows / Rachel Morgan by Kim Harrison

Comments (showing 1-50 of 76) (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I cannot wait until Black Magic Sanction comes out on 2/23/10!!! Seriously excited to read it ASAP. Anyone else chomping at the bit??

Does anyone know if there is going to be any necessary short stories to fully enjoy Black Magic Sanction. I was so frustrated I didn't get the fullness of White Witch, Black Curse because I missed the short stories.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ You know I am. Don't know about the short stories, though.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 26 comments I'm really looking forward to the next in the series. I was a little worried for a book or two back about where it was going but I like the direction that Harrison is taking the series now.

message 4: by Shanon (new)

Based on the Goodreads summary there's going to be some of my favorite characters. Trent & Algaliarept. Well, I guess they're not necessarily a favorite I guess but I love the way they interact with Rachel.

message 5: by ♦Jennifer♦ (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) I absolutely love Rachel Morgan! My favorite series by far. I am right there with you. :)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 60 comments The Hollows is definitely one of my favorites!

message 7: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 29 comments I'm a fan of this series so I am definitely very eager to get my Rachel/Ivy fix!

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 135 comments I'm reading that series right now and am up to White Witch, Black Curse. I can't wait until the new book comes out.

message 9: by ♦Jennifer♦ (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) If any of you guys are interested there is an excerpt of the first chapter here!

ohh, this makes me want to read it even more!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 14 comments I'm super excited for Black Magic Sanction. I'm curious about what short stories you're referring to as necessary to complete White Witch, Black Curse?

message 11: by Shanon (new)

There is a short story in Holidays Are Hell that introduces Pierce and provides more details about his first encounter with Rachel. There is also another short story somewhere, from what I've been told, about Ivy's history with her boss I believe. I can't remember which book it is in.

I don't know how necessary they were because I still kept up with WWBC but I'm sure I would've enjoyed the story more had I had all the background information.

I take it you didn't read the shorts either Angel?

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela | 14 comments yeah I actually have read both of them just didn't remember their involvement with WWBC and I read them afterward ... I LOVE! the series but am starting to be unable to remember what happened in which book lol, even including the most recent which I haven't read in a year (will be rereading of course before I get the new one)
The Ivy short is in Dates from Hell, I really want to read the Jenks short that's in Unbound :)

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 14 comments Here's the order with all the shorts included
Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil —Ivy novella in the anthology Dates from Hell
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
Dirty Magic—Mia short story in the anthology Hotter Than Hell
For a Few Demons More
The Bridges of Eden Park—Kisten/Rachel short story in mass market edition of For a Few Demons More
Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel—Robbie/Rachel/Pierce novella in the anthology Holidays from Hell
The Outlaw Demon Wails
The Bespelled—Ceri/Al short story in mass market editon of The Outlaw Demon Wails
White Witch, Black Curse
Ley Line Drifter—Bis/Jenks novella in anthology Unbound

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ The Jenks story is worth it. You guys really should try to find that somewhere.

message 15: by Shanon (new)

Thanks for the list Angel. I need to go hunt down some anthologies apparently.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela | 14 comments Shanon wrote: "Thanks for the list Angel. I need to go hunt down some anthologies apparently."

you're welcome :) I know what you mean, more & more I'm having to do some major research to find ALL the stories. I'm such a series junkie. It's hard enough to keep up with all the titles & release dates, now I gotta find the anthologies too?!?!? lol ;p

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 77 comments I've just spotted this in another group - 8 CHAPTERS OF Black Magic Sanction:

RIGHT HERE!

I'm reading it now!

message 18: by Shanon (new)

That is so tempting! I think I'll wait until the day before the release to read them though. YAY - it's like a jump start on the book.

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I wasn't able to get to the site. I'll try again at home. Sometmes work blocks certain sites. I need to read some of Black Magic Sanction. After reading and not liking White Witch, Black Curse, I need some encouragement to continue the series.

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 26 comments Does anybody know for sure when Black Magic Sanction is coming out? Amazon says Feb. 23 but I've seen other places say not until March 1st.

message 21: by Shanon (new)

Kim Harrison's website says 2/23.

I know it was scheduled for March at first because that's when I had it listed on my list of new releases. I love it when books come out earlier than planned instead of later!

message 22: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 135 comments Angel wrote: "Here's the order with all the shorts included
Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil —Ivy novella in the anthology Dates from Hell
Every Which Wa..."

Thanks Angel. I cut and pasted it for reference. I have most of the anthologies - yeah!

message 23: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (TashaPost) | 9 comments Go to bed early it comes out tomorrow!Black Magic Sanction

message 24: by Shanon (new)

I can't go to bed early. I need to finish up the book I'm reading right now so I can start this tomorrow :)

message 25: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (TashaPost) | 9 comments Speed Read, Speed Read! Hurry you can do it! :)

message 26: by Shanon (new)

I'm gonna cry! I've been watching my favorite ebook stores online all day trying to figure out why they aren't releasing Black Magic Sanction. THEY AREN'T and I'm seriously sad about it. The release date for the ebook is on 4/6 - WHAT!?!?

I try not to buy very many books and when I do I usually go for ebooks... but I've been waiting for this one for a while now. I guess I might just have to break down and GO to a bookstore. :(

message 27: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (TashaPost) | 9 comments I ordered the book from Amazon today. It's only $13.50 which is a lot cheaper than the stores. I added another book and with shipping it came out to twenty five dollars, so I think I got a good deal, I just have to wait a few extra days to read it :(

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 77 comments I can't even go to a bookstore. It doesn't come out in the UK until April 29th:(

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ I just got my copy today, and all other reading is on hold until I finish!

message 30: by Shanon (new)

Ok Sarah, I'm offically jealous.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ I wanted an ebook copy, too, but what's with the later release date? I ended up requesting it at my library, and it came in today. I'm off tomorrow, so a good portion of my day will be devoted to Rachel & Co.

message 32: by Shanon (new)

I checked my library. There are 102 people ahead of me. It looks like they are getting about 40 copies throughout the county so it shouldn't take too long - but too long is too long :). I can get the audiobook from my online library but I'm not sure I want to listen to it. I kinda like reading it. Needless to say I'm not happy about the ebook release being later.

I read something on Harrison's website about how Amazon priced the Kindle version as a paperback so the publisher decided to wait until the paperback release for the ebook release... or something like that. I hope it's not a trend!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ So does that mean the PB release is in April, too? That seems kinda early.

message 34: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Feb 25, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 77 comments Has anyone downloaded the iTunes Black Magic Sanction enhanced ebook (for Touch & iPhone only) which is out now?

I think it's supposed to contain the text AND the audiobook.

I'm considering buying a Touch and if these enhanced ebooks are any good, I'll definitely buy one.

message 35: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (TashaPost) | 9 comments I don't have either of those, but in all honesty I find a hard copy of a book is best. I can cuddle up next to the fire or in bed, and I know I can turn the page anytime I want. It's at my leisure and I don't have to worry about fail electronics. I will always be a normal book buyer lol.

message 36: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) @Tasha I love a hard copy of a book

message 37: by Angela (new)

Angela | 14 comments I just finished Black Magic Sanction and LOVED it!

message 38: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (TashaPost) | 9 comments @Angel Same here (well at about 2am last night) and AGREED!

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 60 comments Have to say that I loved it, too. I'm already stressing out over waiting for the next book!

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela | 14 comments @Sarah: me too! gaaah I can't wait that long ;p

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ Anybody else cry from chapters 19-25?

message 42: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (TashaPost) | 9 comments Stuck yes, cry no, but it takes a lot to make me cry. I did however want to throttle someone eh hem.

message 43: by Shanon (last edited Mar 01, 2010 07:20AM) (new)

Feel free to talk about spoilers for those that have finished (or are in the process of reading). That's the best part about discussing a series that has been going on this long in my opinion.

Because the latest release is so new maybe put the page number / chapter you are talking about (if you know it, if not it's not really a big deal since spoilers should be expected).

Spoil away...

message 44: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 135 comments I've not read it yet, but I don't mind spoilers at all. :)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 77 comments Yes spoil away, please! Some of us can't get our hands on the actual book so I need to live vicariously through all spoilers divulged. Spoil away, I beg you!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ Live vicariously through this: I just started chapter 27, and Al is nekkid.

Will that get you by? :)

message 47: by Shanon (new)

Must. Get. To. Chapter. 27. TODAY!!! :)

I'm mid chapter 10 and I just can't get over how much crap Rachel has gone through in such a short amount of time. She has a pure talent for getting herself into trouble.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 77 comments Sarah ~Sehrenity~ wrote: "Live vicariously through this: I just started chapter 27, and Al is nekkid.

Will that get you by? :)"

*squeal* Ooooh, yes that helps, thanks Sarah!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ Unless you speed read, Shanon, you'll not make it past the "crying chapters" 19-25 today.

Does this one feel a lot like the first one to anyone else? I'm definitely not complaining, but a lot of it is Rachel outrunning kidnapping attempts--like the first one was outrunning I.S. assassination attempts. The only difference for me is that the characters are more fleshed out here... more growth over time. Rachel's low spot is chapter 19. I really want to see how she reconciles all that.

message 50: by Shanon (new)

Nope, no speed reading for me. I can't do it.

It does feel more like the first book so far for me as well. I think it's because ALL of the trouble is focused on Rachel so far. She's not rushing off to save anyone and thus getting into a dangerous situation - she's trying to save herself.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Black Magic Sanction (other topics)
White Witch, Black Curse (other topics)
Holidays Are Hell (other topics)
Pale Demon (other topics)
More...