Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Series Books for 7-10 Year-Olds

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Eastofoz | 146 comments What series would you recommend for children between the ages of 7 and 10?

My son really enjoys these:

Geronimo Stilton
Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne
The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids by Debbie Dadey, Marcia Thornton Jones
Choose Your Own Adventure
Le Club des Cinq (French series)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments The Bunnicula books by Howe (and Tales from the house of Bunnicula) Tales from the House of Bunnicula: Books 1-4

Moongobble books by Bruce Coville (very short books)The Dragon of Doom

Jack Russell - Dog Detective by Darrel Odgers Jack Russell Dog Detective #1: Dog Den Mystery

And my son likes some of the old series like Secret 7 (Enid Blighton); old Hardy Boys; Alfred Hitchcock presents the Three Investigators.
The Secret of Terror Castle

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Oh and my son is not very good at French but he will read Gaston books by Charnan Simon Gaston, chien de garde There is a series but they are tres facile.

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Another book that we have enjoyed are the Rover books by Roddy Doyle you can get three in one: Rover Adventures: The Giggler Treatment, Rover Saves Christmas, The Meanwhile Adventures

Eastofoz | 146 comments Thanks for those recs Shannon.

I'd also add the Encyclopedia Brown Boy Detective series that I recently bought my son.

Eastofoz | 146 comments Fw2books wrote: "Mine is going to start "The Great Brain" books. I believe the author's last name is Fitzgerald. It actually my set from... coughs... 30yrs ago :)"

LOL! My son is in love with some of our, um 'vintage' kid reads too ;-)

Kirei | 346 comments How many books make a series????

We are doing the Mouse and the Motorcycle series. (Three books)
Also started the Alvin Ho series (Three books so far)

Will started the Andrew Lost series, probably.

To be honest, I don't care for series books because you feel like you just gotta keep going... I want it to end after a few books in a tight resolution.

Loved The Great Brain when I was a kid!!!!!!!!

Eastofoz | 146 comments Fw2books wrote: "Eastofoz wrote:
LOL! My son is in love with some of our, um 'vintage' kid reads too ;-) ..."

I still have my Keeping Days books too... and no girls either... I am going to give my Nancy Drews t..."

Wow 50 Nancy Drews --that's a pretty penny's worth of old books :)

Kirei | 346 comments Ah, 50 Nancy Drews! That is too cool!

I was talking to a woman (in real life) and she bought a book for a dollar and then resold it online for 95 dollars. I know you can't do that with the Nancy Drew series... but I guess there is money to be made if you know what you are doing.

message 10: by Luann (last edited Feb 02, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 44 comments * Secrets of Droon series by Tony Abbott
* Hank the Cowdog series by John R. Erickson
* Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo - these are longer, but written at a fairly low reading level. Great for those who aren't quite ready for Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Series of Unfortunate Events, but still want to read something longer.

Edit: Oh, also:
* The Spiderwick Chronicles and Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi
* The Time Warp Trio books by Jon Scieszka

Kirei | 346 comments We did the Andrew Lost series, and honestly I didn't think it was that great. Some people give it good reviews, though. (Sorry for recommending it.)

(Also: If your goal is to get a reluctant reader to read, Andrew Lost might be good because each book ends on a "to be continued." But in general, I found the series to be so-so quality.)

Eastofoz | 146 comments Thanks for the info Kirei. My guy is an avid reader so I'm trying to stock up on series ahead of time. Right now he's loving Pippi Longstocking.

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Last summer we read Pippi beside the campfire while one set of parents prepped dinner (to keep kids out from under our feet) and it was unanimously loved. Great belly laughs. Great memories.

Patricia Puddle (Trishapuddle) Nena wrote: "My first grade granddaughter (age 6 1/2) reads at advanced level for her class, loves the Just Grace series(Cherise Mericle Harper). After that, I intend to start her on Moody Judy series (Megan M..."

Hi Nena, I love the Judy Moody, and also Ramona Quimbey. They made me laugh. I have both books in my book collection as I write for that age group.

I loved the one where Ramona put her rubber doll inside a cake in the oven and it melted. LOL.

Seven-year-old kids are the funniest things.

Marianne Musgrove books are great for that age group too. And I really love Juni B Jones. She's a laugh a minute and one of my favourites.

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 1220 comments Mod
Clementine and sequels - great for Ramona fans
Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer I believe has sequels - a tiny bit like Spiderwick Chronicles

Dee-Ann | 1 comments The Deltora Quest series, including Dread Mountain and The Rowan of the Rin series including Rowan of Rin : the Journey are good for children about 9 - 10 years onwards (including adults).

Anne Nydam | 83 comments My kids were into the Secrets of Droon fantasy series by Tony Abbott for a while around first and second grade. It's one of these infinite series. Also in that age range they liked the ABC Mysteries by Ron Roy. There is a modernized version of Nancy Drew for younger readers called The Clue Crew series. My daughter was obsessed with the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Also, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket... I could kind of go on forever, so maybe this is enough for now! =)

message 18: by Diane (last edited Mar 21, 2011 06:20AM) (new)

Diane | 1 comments A couple of other series out there are Katie Kazoo ex: Love Stinks! and the Create Your Own Ending SeriesChoose Your Own Adventure: The Abominable Snowman/Journey Under the Sea/Space and Beyond /The Lost Jewels of Nabooti/Mystery of the Maya/House of Danger. I love the choose your ending ones for boys that are reluctant readers.

message 19: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 2849 comments Mod
Larklight: A Rousing Tale of Dauntless Pluck in the Farthest Reaches of Space series

The Mysterious Benedict Society (though I've only read the first one, I hear the rest are good, too.)

Sarah | 1 comments My son loved the Henry books by Beverly Cleary, finishing with Henry and Beezus, which flowed nicely into the Ramona series, a few stand alone books, and now the Ralph series. He gets caught up on one author at a time, lol.

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 25 comments My eight-year-old's favorite series are:

Harry Potter (only let her read through book three)
Bunnicula books (she's read them all)
Nancy Drew (she's just starting these)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (a little older themes, maybe, but she LOVES them - and she spent hours filling out the "Make Your Own Diary of a Wimpy Kid" book)

Alyson Feldman-piltch | 2 comments i recently started reading a series by Brandon Sanderson. The first book is called Alcatraz versus the evil librarians: it would be appropriate for a child 10 and up.

for 7 year olds, the hank the cowdog series may be a great fit!

Jenny | 285 comments My 7 and 9 yo daughters really liked Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians. A short series for kids at the young end of this spectrum would be Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret.

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Alyson wrote: "i recently started reading a series by Brandon Sanderson. The first book is called Alcatraz versus the evil librarians: it would be appropriate for a child 10 and up.

for 7 year olds, the hank th..."

I forgot about The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog. They were fun reads. Great recommendation for the younger ones.

Miranda (Mirandak) I remember my teacher reading us a few books from the Tales from Dimwood Forest Box Set in elementary. We loved them. My personal favourites were "Poppy" and "Ereth's Birthday".

Also anything by Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, or E. B. White!

message 26: by Dena (Batch of Books) (last edited Nov 15, 2012 10:02PM) (new)

Dena (Batch of Books) (batchofbooks) | 8 comments You should try The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog, How to Train Your Dragon, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. They are all series aimed at boys that age. You could also go for The Secret Zoo series. That's supposed to be good.

Brenda | 189 comments Kate McMullan has a Dragon Slayer Academy series that is really cute and funny.

Dolly (dollymart) | 214 comments Brenda wrote: "Kate McMullan has a Dragon Slayer Academy series that is really cute and funny."

Our 9 year-old loves that series!