J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Movie or tv series

Comments (showing 1-50 of 201) (201 new)    post a comment »

Shazzy Do you think these books could be made into a film or tv series?
Which would you prefer?
Do you have any actors in mind for the roles?

Inky | 5 comments I gotta say movie or cable mini-series. Think of all the fabulous sex scenes we'd miss if regular television got a hold of it -- not to mention that the gruesome nature of some of the crimes would never make it into prime time. And I want to see a LOT of Roarke. Although that one is going to be difficult to cast. My expectation meter is way high on that character.

Shazzy If they made a film, they would try & cram everything into 2 hours and it would ruin it. A tv series would be great, there are so many books in print that it could run for ages.

I have no idea about which actors i'd choose, I'd hate for them to make Eve into a'beauty queen' type, that would ruin everything.

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) When I read the books, I picture Eve similar to Marg Helgenberger on CSI. It may just be the red hair. Not sure if you get that show in England, Shazzy.

As for who could play Roarke, I would have to think on that one...

I agree that 2 hour movie would ruin it.

Shazzy Hi Kim, I have cable tv, I swear I watch more American shows than British ones and CSI Miami is one of my favourites.

Shazzy Inky, I agree that it couldn't be broadcast on regular tv, the crime scenes have to be bloody & gory and there is alot of violence in the books especially with Eve's flashbacks. The sex scenes would be sizzling, Roarke knows what he's doing, Eve is one lucky lady :)

Samantha | 4 comments Hi! I'd love for them to make a series out of it, but I just can't see anyone playing the role of Roarke and Eve and it would be awful to just be disappointed with someone inferior. So I'm 50-50 on this one.

message 8: by Shazzy (last edited Jul 28, 2008 07:10AM) (new)

Shazzy That's true, I cannot think of one guy who could play Roarke and nobody springs to mind for Eve either. There have been rumours because some of her Nora Roberts books were made in tv films.

Holly (lillynbellasmom) | 1 comments I may be on an island over here, but I wouldn't watch a movie and/or tv series. I think that would completely take away from the magic of the book. Seriously- who could be a good enough ROarke???

Jenna Harte (jennaharte) | 42 comments I would love to see In Death in any format and yet at the same time I'm afraid that I'd be disappointed in it. As far as actors... I'm not sure Mariska Haggerty (sp) is quite right but she has the kick butt attitude. Jude Law might work. Or Joaquin Phoenix as Rourke.

Shazzy I'd have to think very carefully before watching a tv show/movie. It could completely spoil the books for me.

Jennifer I don't know. The cast is too good in my head and I'm not sure anyone could meet up to my expectations, especially of Roarke. If I had to pick I'd rather have a mini-cable series.

Lori | 6 comments I wouldnt want either. I agree that it would spoil the pictures that we have in our heads of these characters.

Heather | 3 comments I've often thought about this and I think I would prefer a cable series. In terms of actors, I can't think of anyone to play Roarke. I would feel better with unknown actors. That way I wouldn't be tainted by previous work. So where do you find an unknown Irish god who can act :)

Shazzy I live in London and everytime I hear a sexy Irish voice, my head whips round hoping for a real life Roarke! LOL

Tonia G (tgreenaway) | 2 comments I got it!! I think Gerard Butler could play Roarke! Think about it: tall, lean and dark. Sexy as all get out. And he did an Irish accent in P.S. I Love You. He's got the dark hair, light eyes (his are grey/green where as Roarke's are blue. But we can work around that). He is as perfect as I think we're going to get. What do you think?

Shannon | 14 comments Charlie Kranz is an Irish actor I saw a picture of. He kind of has an edge to himself that lends to Roarke's darker side but is sinfully good-looking.
Another one but a little on the young side is Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. I think he has the most beautiful eyes and so that could possibly play. I have pictured them in my minds and these two men come close to my visual picture. Also the guy from Hero's that plays Peter is an Irish actor. I also think he is a little on the young side but that would be another possibility.
As for Eve I have often pictured someone with the short choppy haircut Meg Ryan had in You've Got Mail (but not Meg Ryan herself, just that hair). Someone who does not fit the physical I see but has the attitude is Mary McCormack from the new USA television series In Plain Sight. She has the vulnerability but the kick ass nature I see in Eve.

Shazzy I think Gerard Butler has a softer look than what I have in mind when I imagine Roarke. Roarke has the face of a fallen angel, very good looking- but you don't wanna mess with him!

Shannon, i'll check out some of the guys you mentioned.

Heather | 3 comments How about David Boreanaz. He played Angel and is in Bones now. In Angel he was actually from Ireland and he definitely is gorgeous. He played a vampire so he has a dark side. Check out http://blog.meevee.com/photos/uncateg...

Emily Deschanel could also be a good Eve.

Tya | 52 comments Ok, the guy who I see playing Roarke... do you guys remember the video Waterfalls from TLC's Crazysexycool cd? There's a guy in that video who I think looks exactly like Roarke. Yep, you should go watch that video and be amazed by the resemblance.

Ronda (thebookdragon) I have always seen Mariska Hargatay (sp?), from Law & Order SVU as Eve Dallas. No one has come to mind who fits the image of Roarke to me--yet. I would love to see them as movies--but my gut tells me that any big screen depiction would probably be disappointing---unless J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts was intimately involved in the details.

Tonya Potts | 6 comments Does anyone watch that new show Castle? The woman who plays the detective I think would make a REALLY good Eve. As for Roarke, I can't think of a man yet who could fit the bill. I agree that Gerard Butler would be close, but also agree with Shazzy that he doesn't quite have the edge that Roarke does. But he definatly has the body! =)

Shazzy Tonya, I don't think 'Castle' is shown in the UK. I'll google it and check it out. I can't think of anyone who could play Roarke, I might do some research if I go to Ireland in the Summer. ;)

Shannon | 14 comments Castle is great. I love nathan Fillion. Oh and she would be a great Eve if we made her act a little more on the tough side,=.

Ashley FL I always think of Angie Harmon for Eve, but she's too traditionally "beautiful". I think it's the voice that is so perfect!

Lola4 No, no, no--nobody could play Roarke without being devastatingly disappointing. It would totally ruin the fantasy! I read the whole series just this year, and since I had already seen TV's Castle, I pictured Stana Katik as Eve from the start of my first book.

Becky (audio_reader) | 4 comments I would love to see the book series turned into a movie or tv series. I love it when they do that - they are almost always a disappointment and never how I would picture it. Yet the tv/movie always makes me appreciate the books more!

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I haven't seen Castle, but checked out a sneak peak on line. Looks like a good show and I will definitely check it out. Tonya, she does look like the closest Eve so far. I always thought Elisabeth Rohm might be a good Eve. She played a tough cop on the series "Angel" and I've always liked her. Of course, she's have to change her hair color. Roarke - no idea. I'd love to see a TV mini-series or a movie, but not sure it would work. I've seen them make movies out of other Nora Roberts books and they just didn't come close to the books.

Becky (audio_reader) | 4 comments Vanessa - I agree - I listen to audiobooks and most of the J.D. Robb books are like 12-15 hours long - so of course trying to cram all of that in a 2 hours movie never works all that well!
Vanessa wrote: "I haven't seen Castle, but checked out a sneak peak on line. Looks like a good show and I will definitely check it out. Tonya, she does look like the closest Eve so far. I always thought Elisabeth ..."

Amy | 6 comments Stana Katik from Castle, I agree, personifies Eve the best for me. While I thought Angie Harmon played a pretty good kick butt detective on Women's Murder Club, I think Stana Katik pulls of the annoyance with things too girly better, but she also can have a vulnerability that Eve would need with Roake, something I have a hard time picturing Mariska Hargatay pulling off just right. As for Roake, the closest I've seen is Matt Bomber, the star of USA's new show White Collar. He has the rich dark hair, beautiful blue eyes, and plays a con man. He also fits the bill, for me, of the angel/poet/warrior I see when I think of Roake. Gerard Butler, while great to look at, is too rugged for what Eve considers a pretty face. Same for David Boreanaz, when he was younger playing Angel he might've pulled it off, but as he's matured he has developed a rugged warrior look. IMHO, of course.

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Well, I just put the first Season of "Castle" DVD on hold with the library. They have 5 copies, and I have 20 people ahead of me. It must be a good series, or it just came out on DVD, or maybe both. I look forward to seeing it. I love the character of Eve Dallas and I can't really remember seeing a female detective as strong as her.

Does anyone know if it's still on, and if so, is it playing in the US and on what channel? Thanks.

Amy | 6 comments Vanessa wrote: "Well, I just put the first Season of "Castle" DVD on hold with the library. They have 5 copies, and I have 20 people ahead of me. It must be a good series, or it just came out on DVD, or maybe both..."
Vanessa- Castle is currently in its second season on ABC, and plays on Monday nights. You might also be able to catch up with season 2 by watching episodes on ABC.com. I'm not positive if they still run them as we can't get any tv network websites here in the Virgin Islands. I hope you enjoy the series, Stana Katik is a real find for women detectives but Nathan Fillion is great fun to watch too.

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Thanks Amy, I'll definitely look for it. I asked my husband if he had ever heard of it, and although a little vague, he said he thought it was similar to "The Mentalist" but the lead guy is a writer. I'm looking forward to watching it. I don't watch a lot of TV but am always looking for a good series. Thanks again.

Lori Kim wrote: "When I read the books, I picture Eve similar to Marg Helgenberger on CSI. It may just be the red hair. Not sure if you get that show in England, Shazzy.

As for who could play Roarke, I would ha..."

I have to agree. I pictured Marg from CSI to be Eve because she acts similar to her. As for Roarke, I have no idea who would play him. He's very difficult to cast because I have a high expectation for this character.

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Amy wrote: "Stana Katik from Castle, I agree, personifies Eve the best for me. While I thought Angie Harmon played a pretty good kick butt detective on Women's Murder Club, I think Stana Katik pulls of the ann..."

I managed to catch part of an episode of "Castle" last night. I keep forgetting it's on. I'll have to DVR it. Anyway, I see what you mean about Stanya Katik being a good Eve. Doesn't she even have a small cleft in her chin? As for Roarke, still don't know.

And on a side note, it would be interesting to see how they would do all the futuristic stuff.

Colleen | 4 comments Stana Katik is exactly who came to mind for Eve; Pearce Brosnan would be Roarke, but is not the right generation. Any younger PB types out and about?

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Colleen wrote: "Stana Katik is exactly who came to mind for Eve; Pearce Brosnan would be Roarke, but is not the right generation. Any younger PB types out and about?"

Colleen, there is an Irish actor, Cillian Murphy, who's about 33. He may not be a Pearse Brosnan, but I think he looks the part, and he's reported to have beautiful eyes. I don't think I've seen him in anything, though. I just looked Irish actors up on the internet, and he does have beautiful eyes.

Tonya Potts | 6 comments Vanessa, I don't know about Cillian Murphy. I saw him in the movie Red Eye, he was the bad guy, and still when I look at him I get a creepy feeling, not the hot and heavy dangerous feeling that I think of when I think of Roarke. But he does have beautiful eyes, if you can get pass the creepy part. =)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Tonya wrote: "Vanessa, I don't know about Cillian Murphy. I saw him in the movie Red Eye, he was the bad guy, and still when I look at him I get a creepy feeling, not the hot and heavy dangerous feeling that I t..."

Tonya, I've never actually seen him in anything; I was just going off the really sexy picture the have of him online. Was the creepiness him or the role?

Tonya Potts | 6 comments Vanessa, it was a little bit of both =)

Raven (BlackBirdie2004) | 12 comments I could see Mariska Hargitay if it weren't for the fact that she is in her 40's and is not 'skinny" or "lean" . as the books describe Eve. Personality wise, I would choose her or a lot of other actresses but I can't think of one that really fits the bill physically.

Colleen | 4 comments Vanessa wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Stana Katik is exactly who came to mind for Eve; Pearce Brosnan would be Roarke, but is not the right generation. Any younger PB types out and about?"

Colleen, there is an Irish ac..."

OH yeah, he would do! Needs to grow out hair, darken it, work out a bit. Excellent voice!

Zaanodes | 38 comments I would love to see 'In Death' made into a cable series!

I haven't watched TV in several years so the suggestions for Roarke and Eve being made are unknown to me.

If the 'In Death' series makes it to TV...I WILL be watching TV again!!

Jenna Harte (jennaharte) | 42 comments I would love to see In Death come to life, but would be scared to death they'd ruin it. I've been disappointed in the movies made about Nora's books. I can't really think of who'd play them except maybe Hugh Jackman as Rourke. Mariska has the right attitude but I think she may be too old now. I think Gwen Stefani might make a good Mavis.

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I think Zooey Deschanel would be a great Peabody. She was the main character in the TV short series, "Tin Man."

message 46: by Nicole (last edited May 14, 2010 12:48PM) (new)

Nicole g (nicole_g) | 7 comments I see Christian Bale for Roarke. Not exactly the right coloring, but those cheekbones, just...rawr.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2n18jl1.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2u4tzdw.jpg

And I said to my friend the other day, Kevin Richardson formerly of the Backstreet Boys would be a very pretty Roarke. Although I'm not sure he'd be able to leave his Kentucky behind to take on the Irish. And his eyes are almost an emerald green.
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-phot...

And like someone else stated, I think Mariska Hargitay is just about a decade late to play Eve. I'd have to think on an actress.

Ren (RenPuspita) | 97 comments For me, when I see Jonathan Rhys Meyers, i always pic him as Roarke. You know same Irish man, same beguiling eyes, some poetry mouth.
Make me swoo..n >.<

But David Gandy can be Roarke too, cause he has a beautiful blue eyes

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments Definitely David Gandy as Roarke...he is Roarke personified. The only ? is, can he act?

Ren (RenPuspita) | 97 comments This is big problem Alyssa, lol ^^
But Gandy is another perfect role for Roarke, despite he can act or not,but have you see him in Dolce & Gabbana Lighting Blue Commercial?
Just use undies, and he's so HAWT in here >.<

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments RNDo wrote: "This is big problem Alyssa, lol ^^
But Gandy is another perfect role for Roarke, despite he can act or not,but have you see him in Dolce & Gabbana Lighting Blue Commercial?
Just use undies, and he'..."

I have an entire file devoted to him on my computer RNDo, lol! Have you seen his calender pics...think him NAKED with just the bare essentials covered!!!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread