The Bronze Horseman discussion

Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Comments (showing 1-50 of 384) (384 new)    post a comment »

Alycia | 549 comments Mod
Hi everyone. I thought it would be great to get to know everyone. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hello everyone! I'm Alycia and I just discovered TBH at Christmas time thanks to Kelly for recommending it to me. I absolutely loved it! Really, it is now one of my favorites. I have to say that Alexander is one of the best Heroes written! I drove all over town looking for a used copy of Tatiana and Alexander because I couldn't wait for a reprint this summer. And for some reason there is copyright issues in the US for the Kindle version. Needless to say I was victorious and will be reading it soon! :)

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Yay!!! A group designated for T & A!!! I am Shell Schroth, I too was corrupted by the wonderful Kelly. (Thank-you)... and I am also completely hooked. Just finished the 3rd book tonite.

ChristinaRae | 162 comments Mod
I am mostly a history geek but I like some romance to liven things up. I just read the first two books; loved the details of Soviet life and of course I loved Alexander! I'm looking forward to reading the third book soon.

Shell wrote: "Yay!!! A group designated for T & A!!! I am Shell Schroth, I too was corrupted by the wonderful Kelly. (Thank-you)... and I am also completely hooked. Just finished the 3rd book tonite. "

Thanks for joining Shell! I need to catch up and read the other two books.

message 6: by Kelly (last edited Jan 24, 2010 08:47PM) (new)

Kelly  | 636 comments Hi Everyone
I'm Kelly! I am just so happy that people love this book as much as I did. I just finished reading The Summer Garden and to say that it was an emotional rollercoaster is putting it lightly.

My opinion of Alexander has changed a bit after reading the 3rd book (not in a bad way) But he is by far the man I would like to meet right after James Fraser!!!!!!

Kelly wrote: "Hi Everyone
I'm Kelly! I am just so happy that people love this book as much as I did. I just finished reading The Summer Garden and to say that it was an emotional rollercoaster is putting it li..."

Thanks for joining Kelly. And once again, thanks for recommending the book. I agree with your statement about Alexander and Jamie 100% I feel the same way. Alexander is a close second and that is really saying something.

Keta (ketadiablo) Hi all fans of the Bronze Horseman and hopefully, Pauline's other books in the series.

I found out about this book from a blog a follow. She listed it as her favorite book of 2009! So I figured I can't go wrong. I bought it right away.

Since then, I've found out that there are three books in the series. Oh, my where am I going to find time to read.

In the meantime, my mom read the book and loved it! I hope to start reading soon, so I'll be looking out for any spoilers anyone posts.

I love to read and wish I had more time. I'm also an author so my reading time is very limited, thus the reason I never purchase unless it comes highly recommended.

Thanks so much for inviting me. As I read each chapter, I'll pop back in and leave some thoughts and observations.

You can sign up for my newsletter here and be eligible to win FREE books. I give away three every month and winners are announced in my monthly newsletter. http://www.ketadiablo.com

HAPPY READING EVERYONE! I look forward to chatting with you,

Namaste, Keta Diablo
http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com (my erotic blog)

Sheri I'm Sheri and a mom of three in North Carolina. ChristinaRae and others in the Diana Gabaldon group introduced me to The Bronze Horseman. Don't know whether or not to thank you! LOL I can't put it down, but I'm an emotional wreck, too. I can literally feel the ravages of war and the despair and hopelessness of the people - not just due to the war, but due to their economic status before Hitler invaded. The sense of no privacy ANYWHERE is just suffocating!

While I am totally taken with Alexander, the fact that he and Tatiana cannot talk openly with each other is making me nuts. And Tatiana is too naive, which makes me want to scream out loud as I read.

But yes, I'm loving every minute of it.

Like Christina Rae, I adore history, and it's so much more fun to learn about the realities through a great story.

Look forward to this group!
Sheri

Keta wrote: "Hi all fans of the Bronze Horseman and hopefully, Pauline's other books in the series.

I found out about this book from a blog a follow. She listed it as her favorite book of 2009! So I figured I ..."

Your welcome and thanks for joining. Please share your thoughts with us when you do start to read TBH! :)
I totally understand what you mean about not having enough time to read! I am sure you are especially busy. I think it's awesome that you were recommended this book. I think quite a few of us here had the book recommended to us from a friend or family member.

Sheri wrote: "I'm Sheri and a mom of three in North Carolina. ChristinaRae and others in the Diana Gabaldon group introduced me to The Bronze Horseman. Don't know whether or not to thank you! LOL I can't put..."

Hi Sheri. I am so glad you joined! I was an emotional wreck too with TBH, not as much as the Outlander series, but it was similar. I too kept thinking about how impossible it would be to live as Tatiana did with nothing to eat, no warmth, and no privacy. It really goes against our western way of life. Have you finished TBH yet or are you still tackling it?

Sheri Alycia, I'm a little more than halfway through. I've gotten to the point where her father has died and the food is really about to run out. I just can't see WHY they don't fess up now that her dad has died and her cousin Marina "gets it". Don't tell me!!! LOL

I have so much to do today and have to wait until tonight to stick my nose back in. My poor family when I find a great book!

Does anyone think that Simons might be making underlying political statements about communism, etc.. through this work or is it just a background setting and nothing more?

Sheri

In her dedications, PS mentions her grandparents (who lived through the revolution and WWII) and her father (who brought the family to 'freedom' in America) so I think she has pretty strong opinions about communism.

Sheri wrote: "Alycia, I'm a little more than halfway through. I've gotten to the point where her father has died and the food is really about to run out. I just can't see WHY they don't fess up now that her da..."

I will not give spoilers away to you, just wanted to say that a lot more will happen and things will sort out. Happy Reading! Keep updating us on what you think.

m.allen | 9 comments Hi everyone! My name is Melissa and I was introduced to TBH by Kelly. I had a hard time reading TBH not because of the content or anything wrong with the book...but because I simply didn't have enough time to read it. All those pesky things in life like work, sleep, and family kept getting in the way lol!

In my opinion TBH is one of the best books ever written and it's definitely one of the best that I've ever read.

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Wowsers!!! Lol... Kelly is spreading the TBH love everywhere... ;) I am definatly grateful, as I never would've picked it up if she hadn't told me about it.

Lady England | 39 comments Hi Everyone,
I'm Liz and was introduced to TBH series by my friends of all things Outlander. I just finished TBH yesterday and immediately ordered the next two books in the series...hate cliffhangers. Honestly, I had a hard time warming up to this book. Tatiana made herself into a door-mat for everyone and Alexander slept with her sister (I think) after he saves Tatiana, kisses her in Luga and almost takes her virginity in the hospital. Needless to say, I was a little frustrated with the main characters. Finally, about half way through the book T&A commune and start behaving like more believable characters. I LOVE the romance and history and intrigue.
I'm sure Simons is making statements about Communism...nothing hidden about it. She's Russian and has lived through it herself. She also has made a social commentary on the humanism that existed in wartime Russia...it's OK to hit the smaller, weaker people in your family and treat everyone like the enemy. More insight into Tatiana's door-mat personality, but she certainly grows stronger by the end. I enjoyed seeing her transform from a ice-cream licking girl into a confident and capable woman. I guess that is what love and war will do to you.

Hi Melissa, I definitely agree with you about TBH!

I am so glad to see you here Liz! :)

Sheri Yeah, I'm thinking, "Can I sneak in a few pages before I have to make dinner and fold that extra load of clothes?" LOL.
Sheri

I totally understand Sheri, I am trying to do the same thing with another book! :)

Beth | 19 comments Hi, I'm a huge fan of the Outlander books, having read them several times over. Except, read Echo only once... Just got Bronze Horseman, haven't started it yet. Finishing up a book I'm enjoying, Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It's much different than above books, but really good. Anyway, will be starting BH in a few days. Thrilled that you have started this board, thanks.

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Alycia wrote: "I totally understand Sheri, I am trying to do the same thing with another book! :)"

Me 3... except laundry, cooking, SLEEP, pretty much everything went on the back burner...

Beth wrote: "Hi, I'm a huge fan of the Outlander books, having read them several times over. Except, read Echo only once... Just got Bronze Horseman, haven't started it yet. Finishing up a book I'm enjoying, St..."

Hi Beth! So glad you could join us. Can't wait to hear what you think of TBH. I have wanted to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but haven't made up my mind if I should. I have heard it is different and once you get past technical aspects it is good. What do you think of it?

Beth | 19 comments Hi Alycia, What you heard is right. TGWTDT starts a bit technical, but once you get into the story line you can't wait to find out what happens next. Not a love story, more of a who done it type of book. And, there's two more books in the series. The interesting thing about the author of these books, is that he wrote all three and turned them in and died suddenly. So, sadly he never saw them became best sellers. I'd say give it a try for something different to read. I'm really looking forward to starting the Bronzed Horseman, will let you all know my thoughts as I read it.

Beth wrote: "Hi Alycia, What you heard is right. TGWTDT starts a bit technical, but once you get into the story line you can't wait to find out what happens next. Not a love story, more of a who done it type of..."

Thanks for the information Beth! I guess I should mark it to read. Looking forward to your thoughts here.

Carla  (CarlaAnn13) Hi - I am like so many of you in that the Outlander series and TBH and the two books that followed are great. I find it difficult to read other books. That is partially why I like this site because I am always hunting for a recommendation from someone who likes the same types of books.

Hi Cab! Glad you could join us! :)

Rhonda Krieger (BigR) | 44 comments Hi everyone my name is Rhonda and I have been addicted to T & A for 2 weeks now. At first it started out small my use of T & A, and then before I knew it it was uncontrolable. I was waking up in the middle of the night wanting T & A, sneeking out of my room so my husband wouldn't know what I was doing.Soon the want and need consumed me and I turned to heavier reading with Tatiana and Alexander.I have been in recovery for 3 day's now.I don't think this will last however as I have heard there is a third T&A until then I will enjoy the simple things in life such as Sleeping ,eating, human contact of any kind. Shell corrupted me with this book she was my pusher all be warned she makes it out to be sooo good and She is Absolutly right lol lol hahhahha

Hi Rhonda, thanks for joining us fellow addicts! :)

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Rhonda wrote: "Hi everyone my name is Rhonda and I have been addicted to T & A for 2 weeks now. At first it started out small my use of T & A, and then before I knew it it was uncontrolable. I was waking up in th..."

Ha Ha Ha.. Nice...

Rhonda, the first step is admitting you have an addiction . . . nice job.

Rhonda Krieger (BigR) | 44 comments LOL Thanks for the support

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I am Rachael Belov .. LOL i wish .. and have read all 3 books and am in dispair that i cannot find another book just as good ... i hear that Diana Gabaldon writes similar to simmons ??? what are your thoughts people :)

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Rachael wrote: "I am Rachael Belov .. LOL i wish .. and have read all 3 books and am in dispair that i cannot find another book just as good ... i hear that Diana Gabaldon writes similar to simmons ??? what are yo..."

Diana Gabaldon's books are fantastic!!! Most of us BH fans, are Outlander freaks.

message 35: by ChristinaRae (last edited Jan 27, 2010 08:19PM) (new)

Rachael, most of us picked up TBH as our cure for Outlander withdrawls. Alexander (wonderful as he is) is still runner-up to Jamie, who is pretty much the best romantic hero ever written. YOU HAVE TO READ OUTLANDER!
Plus it is very smart, funny, exciting, historical, has hot kilted warriors, etc.

Shell Schroth (MsShell) ChristinaRae wrote: "Rachael, most of us picked up TBH as our cure for Outlander withdrawls. Alexander (wonderful as he is) is still runner-up to Jamie, who is pretty much the best romantic hero ever written. YOU H..."

The Hot Kilted Warriors will be the selling point, I'm sure. Who can possibly resist?

Rachael wrote: "I am Rachael Belov .. LOL i wish .. and have read all 3 books and am in dispair that i cannot find another book just as good ... i hear that Diana Gabaldon writes similar to simmons ??? what are yo..."

Hi Rachel, glad you joined us! I have just recently started the Outlander series and TBH series. I would definitely recommend trying the Outlander series. As much as I love Alexander, I love Jamie from Outlander even more. :)

Beth | 19 comments Wow, I'm 344 pages into The Bronzed Horseman and loving it! I really like Tatiana, she's a strong and smart women for her age. Not liking her family much, really hate her sister Dasha. Alexander is great, and I can understand why he's still with Dasha. So, he can stay close to Tatiana.
I have to say it's been a while since I was so into a book, probably since the first time through the Outlander series. I still miss Jamie and Claire, but Tatiana and Alexander are really something too.

I've already ordered the other two books in this series and glad I did, I know I will want to start the next one right away.

Thank you, thank you, who ever it was that first recommended this series on the Outlander board. I'm soooo hooked...

Beth wrote: "Wow, I'm 344 pages into The Bronzed Horseman and loving it! I really like Tatiana, she's a strong and smart women for her age. Not liking her family much, really hate her sister Dasha. Alexander i..."

I am so glad that you are loving TBH Beth! Let us know what you think when you are finished with it and start the other books :)

Kelly  | 636 comments Beth wrote: "Wow, I'm 344 pages into The Bronzed Horseman and loving it! I really like Tatiana, she's a strong and smart women for her age. Not liking her family much, really hate her sister Dasha. Alexander i..."

Happy Dance!!! I am so glad everyone is loving Tatiana and Alexanders story. The book is one that stays with your for a long time.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Im still searching for that trilogy of epic,love,history nothing compares

Kelly  | 636 comments Rachael wrote: "Im still searching for that trilogy of epic,love,history nothing compares"

I felt the same way after I read Outlander I NEVER thought I would find another man like Jamie. But then I found Alexander.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I am actually obsessed with Alexander .. and cant shake it .... i hope jamie delivers the same man power ... in every way......

Kelly  | 636 comments What did it for me was The Summer Garden. I am still in awe at how much that book touched me.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Really ... !!! i wasnt a fan of the last book .. i didnt want them to get older (SPOILER ALERT!) i loved them being young and youthful .. but there were def some heartpounding scenes in the SG . there big fight was unbearable ...

Beth | 19 comments I'm 3/4's the way through BH, and love Alexander. But, let me tell you, there's only ONE Jamie.

message 47: by Kelly (last edited Jan 31, 2010 04:32PM) (new)

Kelly  | 636 comments Oh that dam man. My heart was torn out during that whole thing. I felt so betrayed how crazy.
Carmen that skank!!!!!!!!!

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Kelly wrote: "Oh that dam man. My heart was torn out during that whole thing. I felt so betrayed how crazy.
"

That, Kelly is a much more polite version of the things I was calling her, during that book.
Rachael; As for the getting older, Thats what I loved about it.. It was more real.. It was a perfect ending to the series,I thought. 'cause unfortuanatly, we do all age, eventually. Life sucks that way.. lol

message 49: by Kelly (last edited Jan 31, 2010 04:41PM) (new)

Kelly  | 636 comments Shell wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Oh that dam man. My heart was torn out during that whole thing. I felt so betrayed how crazy.
"

That, Kelly is a much more polite version of the t..."

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

If you are married you can relate ( at least I can) to a lot of the issues they had in day to day life.

Anthony coming into the bed at night oh boy that is one I can relate to.

The whole stripper thing. Thank god all our friends are married at this point!

Tatiana trying to work, be a wife and mother.

Rachael wrote: "you girls are kill'n me ... i luv this feed .....
Jamie better not dissapoint!!!! "

There is no way Jamie can disappoint Rachael!!! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tatiana and Alexander (other topics)
The Mists of Avalon (other topics)
Dawn on a Distant Shore (other topics)
Thoughtless (other topics)
Effortless (other topics)