Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > February - Pick It For Me! Challenge

Comments (showing 151-200 of 355) (355 new)    post a comment »

Barbara ★ | 2262 comments Kristine sorry that my list is late. I kept checking the first post for updates (where they used to appear). Just for fun today started reading all the posts and found the list. So here goes...

I see you like Nora Roberts so I though maybe this new author - Helen Taylor Scott would appeal.
The Magic Knot - This is the first book in the series and I really liked it. It has the feel of a Nora Roberts book with wonderful characters and a great setting.

Also you enjoy PNR so here are a few authors you don't show on any of your shelves and some of my favorites.

My Demon's Kiss by Lucy Blue
Medieval Romance: A knight reluctantly turned vampire is searching to restore his humanity when he stumbles upon a beautiful lass in his quest. This is the first in the series - three books so far.

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh
Vampires and Angels: This is the most spectacular and exciting book I've read in months - hell maybe years. It has an amazing premise - angels create and hold sway over vampires. Though these vampires are more like servants than bloodsucking fiends. They even have festive galas attended by the famous and the mundane. Again the first book in the series.

Mortal Temptations by Allyson James
Angels/Gods: This is the best erotica book I've ever read. Nico, a demi-god/angel, is cursed as a pleasure slave doomed to fall in love and get rejected over and over again. His best friend, Andreas, a demi-god/were-leopard is cursed as well. Patricia is a mere human. She is in love with Nico and has amazing sex with both Nico and Andreas.

You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister
Guardians/Dragons: Aisling Grey is a Guardian as in a keeper of the Gates of Hell. Drake Vireo, who's scrumptiously sexy-at least in his human form is a dragon lord. They team up and the sparks fly.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments Regina wrote: "Rossy

That´s OK. I`m more of Paranormal and Fantasy romances so here are some recomendations of series that I like very much.

Alexis Morgan (Palladines) - Dark Protector is the first one and my f..."

Well i can't make up my mind between If Angels Burn or The Sword, so i'll just order both. If i can't read both series this month i'll still have one to try later. Thank you!

Jennefer (JenneferPracticex3) | 247 comments Rossy wrote: "Jennefer, i had so much fun trying to come up with recommendations for you. I hope you like at least one of these, but if you're in the mood for something else let me know and i can make other reco..."

Thanks for the rec's Rosy! These all look great! I am off the the used book store to see what I can find and I will let you know what I decide on :)

Kristine | 10 comments Barbsis,
Thanks so much for the recomendations! I actually can't stand Nora Roberts, hahaha so i'm not going to go with the first author you suggested, but the PNR one's are definately up my alley. Since I read and finish books very fast I'm going to try Mortal Temptations, Angel's Blood and My Demon's Kiss. Again, thank you so much!

message 155: by Gigi (last edited Jan 31, 2010 01:59PM) (new)

Gigi | 1144 comments Jennefer wrote: "Hi Gigi,

Wow your shelves were full of books and authors I am not familiar with at all! LOL So I am just going to recommend some of my favorite recent reads and hopefully something will stand ou..."

Hi Jennefer!

Thanks for the recommendations. I tend to love chick lit with a love story or romance. I've never read a historical romance book, but I'm going to give it a shot. They always look interesting to me. So, I'm going to go with "A Kingdom of Dreams." I like the storyline. Thanks for the Kindle for PC link. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I just downloaded JR Ward. Unless, its Lora Leigh I'm not that familiar with PNR, but it seems as though JR Ward is very popular. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to read "A Kingdom of Dreams" the old fashioned way- its not a Kindle book. Anyway, thanks for the rec!

I'll let you know what I think. I'm sure I'll love it.

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 4163 comments tosca wrote: "BJ Rose - argh great selection! Maybe too great because now I can't decide which one to read LOL Your choice would do a librarian proud :)

Decisions, decisions. Am going to go with The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith for 2 reasons: I like your comment about the heroine's profession and I've always wanted to visit Scotland."

Hope you enjoy it, Tosca. I thought the heroine's profession would be a draw for you!

message 157: by Gaijinmama (last edited Jan 31, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 81 comments Well, Sherrill and all, I just couldn't wait. Shiver is supposed to be delivered today.
Amazon Japan thanks you for enabling my addiction.
Annvelwis, I can almost guarantee you will love either The Last Unicorn or The Princess Bride. Both are classics in the fantasy genre and I agree they're both much easier to get for those of us living overseas.
Dark Sister is a fabulous read, but less well-known, so I'm sure it will fit nicely on your shelves when you have time.

Jennefer (JenneferPracticex3) | 247 comments Rossy wrote: "Jennefer, i had so much fun trying to come up with recommendations for you. I hope you like at least one of these, but if you're in the mood for something else let me know and i can make other reco..."

I found a copy of He Loves Lucy at my used bookstore so I am going to read that! Whoo hoo! I am looking forward to it! Thanks again for all the great rec's. I have added them all to my TBR list! I am especially interested in Fantasy Lover, A Quick Bite and the Brown Siblings series (I just might even try the first one :)

[image error]

Heather C (HeatherCook) Rebecca,

I'm going to give this my best shot since we hardly have any books in common. So here goes:

1. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. This is the first of the Shopaholic series set in the UK by a British Author. These books are really funny.
2. Twenties Girl: A Novel by Sophie Kinsella. This is her newest release and still in my TBR pile, but I read it is one of her best.
3. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. A beautiful love story set in the present and the past.
4. Breathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. A contemporary romance set in Italy.
5. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaneine Frost. This is the 1st Night Huntress book. Its Paranormal Romance with a hot British Vampire.

Let me if none of these appeal to you.

Happy Reading!

message 160: by Jennefer (last edited Jan 31, 2010 03:01PM) (new)

Jennefer (JenneferPracticex3) | 247 comments Gigi wrote: "Jennefer wrote: "Hi Gigi,

Wow your shelves were full of books and authors I am not familiar with at all! LOL So I am just going to recommend some of my favorite recent reads and hopefully some..."

I am so glad you found something you are interested in trying! I hope you love it! I hope you enjoy the Kindle for PC app as well! I have been thinking of trying JR Ward myself but I am still not sure. I would love to hear what you think. :)

message 161: by Sherrill (last edited Jan 31, 2010 05:10PM) (new)

Sherrill Gaijinmama wrote: "Well, Sherrill and all, I just couldn't wait. Shiver is supposed to be delivered today.
Amazon Japan thanks you for enabling my addiction.
Annvelwis, I can almost guarantee you will..."

Gaijinmama,

I had just read Hush Hush and Shiver this month.

I fell hard for Hush Hush, devouring it in less 24 hours. For Shiver I took my time, but I fell in love with the storyline.

Enjoy your read.

Sherrill

Barbara ★ | 2262 comments Kristine wrote: "Barbsis,
Thanks so much for the recomendations! I actually can't stand Nora Roberts, hahaha so i'm not going to go with the first author you suggested, but the PNR one's are definately up my alley...."

I saw the Three Sisters Island trilogy on your shelf but I didn't realize you hadn't read it yet. It's a good witch story so maybe you should give it a try anyway.

Joelle | 15 comments Melody wrote: "Joelle wrote: "Melody after going through your selves here are some possible books I think you might like..."

Thanks Joelle!

The only author you recommend that I've heard of is Seressia Glass, ..."

Melody I do hope you enjoy and that I wasn't too far off the mark!

Joelle | 15 comments Laura wrote: "Joelle:

This is my 1st time doing a pick it challenge and it was tougher than I thought.:) You're more of a PNR/Romance reader and I'm more of a UF/Fantasy/YA reader. There were a bunch of UF ser..."

Thanks Laura! I know its hard it was my first time as well, in all honesty I had tried one of Karen Chance's books and it just never grabbed me, but since you recommend it I will give her one more chance and try out Midnight's Daughter.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Patience is a virtue. Then again so are chastity and sobriety. I guess if I have to pick one I'll try for patience.

Mary E. (jujjy) | 125 comments Regina

I'm glad to see that you like some Urban Fantasy, because it seems that's all I can get excited about lately! Here are some of my fave new first-in-series reads of mine from the last year:

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews. I've loved this series so far and can't stop recommending it to everyone.

Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson was another good one. I plan to read the second book Hallowed Circle this month.

Or you could try Kat Richardson's Greywalker. I loved this book and plan to catch up on the series in the next few months.

I also really enjoyed Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells. The second book in the series The Mage in Black will be out this April.

Hope you find something here that appeals to you. If not, let me know and I will keep digging. :)

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews [image error] Greywalker (Greywalker, Book 1) by Kat Richardson Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells

Mary E. (jujjy) | 125 comments Kristine wrote: "Mary, looking through you books I see we have a couple in common that we've both read... I have a few recommendations for you..."

Thanks for the great suggestions, Kristine! I've already read (and reread) the Black Dagger Brotherhoood series (haven't we all!), but I completely agree... they are kick-ass! :)

I'm going to read Darkfever for sure, and if I can manage it I might squeeze in Night Pleasures, too. Thanks again!

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Gaijinmama | 81 comments Photojim wrote: "Patience is a virtue. Then again so are chastity and sobriety. I guess if I have to pick one I'll try for patience."

You just made me spew my tea, dude!
Darn tootin. Chastity and sobriety are definitely not on my agenda in the near future...although since I hit 40 I fear my nights of 4 martinis and a Cuban cigar are gone.

Speaking of patience....Still waiting for the Amazon box with Shiver to arrive. I better get cracking on my current read so I can start Shiver right away..
looks like patience is a far-off goal for me.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Gaijinmama, Just quit the cigars and you will be fine. You also might want to switch to good old fashion bourbon. Gin will strip paint. Of course if you are talking vodka martinis that is another story.

Where in Tokyo do you live? My sister lived in Tokyo for a couple of years. Also, I went out with a girl years ago from Tochigi. On a side note, one of my good friends visited Tokyo last year. He is 6'5". He said that he felt like he was walking through a sea of children with old faces when he went through the markets as everyone was so short.

May you find the peace to endure the wait for your book. Unfortunately, the anticipation of an event/item is often better than the eventual payoff. So instead of wishing you the patience to wait for your book, I should be wishing that the book is as good as you hope it will be. After all, the honey never tastes as sweet as when it is still in the pot.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments Jennefer wrote: "Rossy wrote: "Jennefer, i had so much fun trying to come up with recommendations for you. I hope you like at least one of these, but if you're in the mood for something else let me know and i can m..."

Look at you trying something totally new, woo hoo! I mostly recommended the 2nd book because i knew you'd love the hero and heroine, but you may just enjoy all the books as much as i did.

I hope you enjoy He Loves Lucy as much as i did. If you don't fall in love with the heroine, you'll at least love the hero. Not even half way through the book and i swear i wanted to marry him.

Harper (harperbell) | 387 comments Tammy wrote: "Thanks for the picks harper. I think i will go with beautiful Creatures and put the rest on my tbr pile. "

Cool! Let me know what you think! I've been meaning to read that one myself.

Harper (harperbell) | 387 comments Gigi wrote: "I hope you enjoy "The Duke and I." Let me know what you think, good or bad.

I'll definitely let you know!

Thanks for sending me a friends request! I was waiting to make sure it was okay before I sent you one, but I just got back home a little while ago.

Carrie (ICanHasBooks?) | 373 comments I know we have until the 2nd to place our recs (I have posted mine) but I was just wondering if in the past has someone ended up not getting anything recommended to them?

Michelle Carrie wrote: "I know we have until the 2nd to place our recs (I have posted mine) but I was just wondering if in the past has someone ended up not getting anything recommended to them?"

That happened to me once, and Tosca saved the day! I think if the that happens, the mod, or challenge leader will find someone else to choose for you.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Carrie wrote: "I know we have until the 2nd to place our recs (I have posted mine) but I was just wondering if in the past has someone ended up not getting anything recommended to them?"

I know. I'm not even close to the deadline but I've been checking about every 90 minutes for two days. (Thus my patience post) Invariably I get a rec. from this challenge that broadens my reading base for the better. That is why I look forward to it so fondly.

message 176: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8865 comments Carrie wrote: "I know we have until the 2nd to place our recs (I have posted mine) but I was just wondering if in the past has someone ended up not getting anything recommended to them?"

It happens occasionally, but we usually find someone else who will recommend something for you. So don't worries, you won't be left out in the cold. :)

However, have a little patience, sometimes your picker might have just been busy. If by the 2nd he/she have not posted or communicated with you, just let us know.

Regina Polli | 177 comments Rossy wrote: "Regina wrote: "Rossy

That´s OK. I`m more of Paranormal and Fantasy romances so here are some recomendations of series that I like very much.

Alexis Morgan (Palladines) - Dark Protector is the..."

Rossy,

Hope you enjoy the readings.

It´s my first time in this challenge and I`m really loving it...

Regina Polli | 177 comments Mary wrote: "Regina

I'm glad to see that you like some Urban Fantasy, because it seems that's all I can get excited about lately! Here are some of my fave new first-in-series reads of mine from the last year..."

Hi Mary,

Thanks! I didn´t know any of these series. I think I´m going to read Magic Bites - Ilona Andrews and Vicious Circle Persephone Alcmedi 1 - Linda Robertson

Carrie (ICanHasBooks?) | 373 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Carrie wrote: "I know we have until the 2nd to place our recs (I have posted mine) but I was just wondering if in the past has someone ended up not getting anything recommended to them?"

It happ..."

That's good to hear, I'm just very interested to see what will be recommended. :D

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) Emily wrote: "Laura

Wow. I had my work cut out for me. :^D You have quite a few books on your shelves, both read and TBR, that are my 'go to' recommends, so I'll just have to pull out a few that, while I do e..."

LOL I warned you. I have a compulsion with adding books to my TBR list. :)

I am going to go with Gone by Michael Grant--it looks really good and I'm shocked I never saw it before to add to by TBR list. :)

Thanks Emily!

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Hi Amber - your profile is set to private - so I'll make some recommendations as soon as I can see your shelves.

message 182: by Britta (last edited Feb 01, 2010 10:51AM) (new)

Britta (Quintessensical) Lesley,
Thank you for your recommendations! They all seem very interesting :3 I haven't chosen one yet, but I'm leaning towards Deadly Little Secrets. Who doesn't love romance? x3

Lory
I'm sorry that it took me this long! The trouble is that I'm not that learned in vampire-themed books, and it seems that you like them! :/

One that I can recommend is the Darren Shan Saga, by Darren Shan! :p
It starts with Cirque du Freak, but here it is apparently known as A Living Nightmare
You've probably heard of it, but I recommend it highly, even though I haven't quite finished all of it!

That is quite simply the extent of my vampire knowledge, besides Twilight, and a few other books that I have not read. I was planning to suggest Fallen and Hush, Hush to you, but I already see them on your shelves :/

The last book that I'll recommend is the His Dark Materials Trilogy. Simply because I think that everyone should read it. And I see that you've read and enjoyed Harry Potter, so I think you might like this too! :3

I probably wasn't much help, but I did what I could!

Valerie | 288 comments Michelle wrote: "

Valerie
I had fun looking at your shelves and adding to my tbr pile! Here are a few that I thought you might like. Let me know if none of these interest you, and I'll be happy to try again...."

Thanks Michelle. I will try Slave to Sensation or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, it will depend on which I can get my hands on first. :)

message 184: by Rossy (last edited Feb 01, 2010 11:05AM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments Carrie wrote: "I know we have until the 2nd to place our recs (I have posted mine) but I was just wondering if in the past has someone ended up not getting anything recommended to them?"

Yes, but in the event that happens i will try and assign someone else to you.
I do plan to send a reminder to those who have not posted a recommendation by tonight, just in case.

Valerie | 288 comments Ari, I have found a few books that were not already on your list - no easy task - that I think you will like.

1) The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong: I chose this book because you like Sarah Dessen and Libba Bray. This book is sort of a combination of the two.

2) The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer: You seem to enjoy historical romances and have read some of the author before. I really like this one of hers.

3) PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern: You may have seen the movie - the book is much better.

I hope you can find one that you like. Enjoy!

Corrupt Angel | 30 comments Sherrill, Ok sorry it took so long. after going through your lists this is what i hope you will like.

Strange Bedpersons

Halfway to the Grave

Bitten & Smitten

message 187: by Sherrill (last edited Feb 01, 2010 08:22PM) (new)

Sherrill Corrupt wrote: "Sherrill, Ok sorry it took so long. after going through your lists this is what i hope you will like.

Thanks, Corrupt I just ordered Bitten and Smitten from Amazon. Shouldn't take too long to get here, so I'll be able to get it done before the end of the month.

eta: I wanted something funny and light, on a vampire side, so this should be perfect.

Melissa (So Cal Gal) | 35 comments Hi Jenn,

Wow you are like me and like a variety of books, here are some I did not see on your list, but thought you may enjoy:

The Crush by Sandra Brown (suspense/romance)
Scent of Danger by Andrea Kane (suspense/romance)
P.S. I love you by Cecilia Ahern
He Loves Lucy by Susan Donovan (contemporary romance)

Melissa (So Cal Gal) | 35 comments Carrie wrote: "Melissa (So cal gal), you have a nice range of books you like. I think picking out books was a challenge in it's self. Almost all of the ones I thought of was either read or on your TBR list :P So ..."

All were excellent choices, I think I will read either Madame Bovary or I'll be Seeing You.

Thanks Carrie!

~Sara~ | 659 comments @ 170 Rossy wrote: I hope you enjoy He Loves Lucy as much as i did. If you don't fall in love with the heroine, you'll at least love the hero. Not even half way through the book and i swear i wanted to marry him.

After that recommendation it's on my TBR list, especially since it's been seconded by Melissa (So Cal Gal)!

message 191: by Rossy (last edited Feb 01, 2010 09:44PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments Annie (a mad hamster) wrote: "Hi Amber - your profile is set to private - so I'll make some recommendations as soon as I can see your shelves. "

Sorry Annie. I tried contacting Amber but with her private profile it's impossible. If she's unable to come to this thread by tomorrow around 3pm, can you please pick for Amanda?

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments Sara wrote: "@ 170 Rossy wrote: I hope you enjoy He Loves Lucy as much as i did. If you don't fall in love with the heroine, you'll at least love the hero. Not even half way through the book and i swear i wante..."

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it. The romance builds slowly and the main characters are soooo belivable *sigh* makes me want to make another re-read!

message 193: by Ari (new)

Ari (moochew12) | 159 comments Valerie wrote: "Ari, I have found a few books that were not already on your list - no easy task - that I think you will like..."
Hey Valerie! (haha, sorry for your troubles. I don't even think I have half of what I have read on goodreads.)

Well..they all sound interesting, i'm going to read them all someday, but for now I will first read The Endearment. I just finished re-reading something by that author, and love historical. So thanks! I'll order all three from the library.

message 194: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (angeleyednj) | 9 comments Hi Carrie. Sorry for the delay but here are my suggestions. Hope you you enjoy one of them.

Lori Foster, The Bodyguard
Stephanie Laurens, The Perfect Lover
Jacquelyn Frank, Ecstasy
Luanne Rice, Crazy in Love
Bodyguard by Lori Foster The Perfect Lover (Cynster, #10) by Stephanie Laurens Ecstasy (Shadowdwellers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Crazy in Love by Luanne Rice

message 195: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (angeleyednj) | 9 comments Melissa (So Cal Gal) wrote: "Hi Jenn,

Wow you are like me and like a variety of books, here are some I did not see on your list, but thought you may enjoy:

The Crush by Sandra Brown (suspense/romance)
Scent of Danger by..."

Thanks for the choices. I think I will try Scent of Danger first.

Carrie (ICanHasBooks?) | 373 comments Jenn wrote: "Hi Carrie. Sorry for the delay but here are my suggestions. Hope you you enjoy one of them.

Lori Foster, The Bodyguard
Stephanie Laurens, The Perfect Lover
Jacquelyn Frank, Ecstasy
Luanne..."

Thank you for the suggestions, all seem very good. I think I will go with Ecstasy or The Perfect Lover.

message 197: by Sherrill (last edited Feb 02, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Sherrill Corrupt wrote: "Sherrill, Ok sorry it took so long. after going through your lists this is what i hope you will like.

Halfway to the Grave

"

Corrupt...I am going to read Halfway to the Grave as well...looks more intense. :)

message 198: by Debbie (last edited Feb 02, 2010 07:51AM) (new)

Debbie  (onyx95) | 2757 comments Wow, didn't even realize the list was up yet, thanks for the reminder, sorry

Bronwnyn - after looking through your book, I noticed that you like your vampires. So here are my suggestions -

I think you should definitely read...
Hush, Hush
Along the vampire and paranormal theme.....
Blood Brothers (book 1)
Storm of Visions (book 1)
You have a lot of YA also .....
The Faerie Path (book 1) or
The Graveyard Book
Lastly, one of my favorite supernatural romance....
Garden Spells
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1) by Christina Dodd The Faerie Path (Faerie Path, #1) by Frewin Jones [image error] Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

I hope you can find something in this list that you like, I have read and enjoyed all of these myself.

message 199: by Debbie (last edited Feb 02, 2010 08:11AM) (new)

Debbie  (onyx95) | 2757 comments Amanda wrote: "Debbie, you have a lot of good ones on your to-read shelf that I would have picked. I hope you'll find something you would like to try out of these. Let me know if none of these interest you and ..."

Great recommendations Amanda, thanks...

I have actually already read the Lisa Kleypas, guess I forgot to add it here at GR. I will eventually read them all, but for this Pick it for me Challenge

My read is ....

You Slay Me

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Rossy wrote: "Sorry Annie. I tried contacting Amber but with her private profile it's impossible. If she's unable to come to this thread by tomorrow around 3pm, can you please pick for Amanda?

Sure thing Rossy, just let me know!