Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: Threads, misc. > Currently reading 2010

Comments (showing 1-50 of 601) (601 new)    post a comment »

Michelle | 3219 comments What book are you currently reading? How are you liking it so far?

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Jan 24, 2010 10:57PM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter. So far, so good. I guess I'd consider this one to be a "futuristic paranormal." It's interesting, and I'm curious to see how this story will end.

Megan | 1285 comments Morrigan's Cross (Circle trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts. I need to actually sit down and spend more than a couple of mintues reading it. I'm stuck on Chapter 2. I really hope it gets better!

Wlfgrl i am currently reading highlander series by hannah howell

Megan | 1285 comments I have been wanting to read those highlander books. How are you enjoying them so far?

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Megan--just remember that that old "First Book in a New Series" syndrome and don't get too discouraged. Doesn't matter how many other books the author has written, how long or anything else. That first series book is always the worst one in a series. Or at least, that's what it feels like, since the author is having to try to ram so much STUFF down your throat with world building, character building, etc.

Carolyn F. | 350 comments I like Hannah Howell's books. She did some too where she wrote with SANDS LINSAY

Ruth | 116 comments On the Edge On the Edge (The Edge, #1)this author has a wonderful writing style.

Ruth | 116 comments oh BTW I love the pic you picked to represent the group.

Megan | 1285 comments Thank you- but I cannot take credit for it- it was all Michelle! Girl- you did pick a good pic for the group!

Michelle | 3219 comments Megan wrote: "Thank you- but I cannot take credit for it- it was all Michelle! Girl- you did pick a good pic for the group!"

Thanks Megan, but you know we chose it together. All I did was look for some pics while you did everything else. I'm glad you like it Ruth!

message 12: by Keta (last edited Jan 20, 2010 10:31PM) (new)

Keta (ketadiablo) | 17 comments Hi everyone, happy to be a part of Michelle's group.

I'm one of those readers who has about four books going at once. Yes, I'm challenged with a short attention span.

Here's what I'm reading this month:

The Bronze Horseman, Pauline Simons. I would classify this is a romance, but it does have romance in it. It's set in Russia during the war and is quite a big book. Very good!

Tender Torment, Jane Archer, this is definitely a romance, an older historical

Enchanted by Elizabeth Lowell, another older historical, very good, and one of the books in her a three book series. I think another in the series is called Forbidden.

And lastly, because I must always read books about research (which I love), I'm reading the Field Guide to Angels and Demons. Wow, never knew there were so many demons in the world (myth and legend)

Happy Reading all,
Fondly, Keta
http://www.ketadiablo.com

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Hello all!! I am currently reading 'The Summer Garden' by Paullina Simons. The 3rd installment in 'The Bronze Horseman' series.

Keta (ketadiablo) | 17 comments HI Shell,

I;m really anxious to hear you liked The Bronze Horseman. I'm just getting into it. The book came highly recommended by some blogger friends. How did you like it?

And please let me know how her latest book is. You mentioned there were three. What is the other one and have you read it?

My mailman brought House of Dark Desires today, Louisa Burton. Can't wait to dive into this one.

Best, Keta

message 15: by Michelle (last edited Jan 21, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Shell wrote: "Hello all!! I am currently reading 'The Summer Garden' by Paullina Simons. The 3rd installment in 'The Bronze Horseman' series. "

I've had the hardest time getting a copy of The Bronze Horseman from the library. I give up; it's time to just flat out buy it now.

message 16: by Shell (last edited Jan 21, 2010 05:23PM) (new)

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Keta wrote: "HI Shell,

I;m really anxious to hear you liked The Bronze Horseman. I'm just getting into it. The book came highly recommended by some blogger friends. How did you like it?

And please let me know..."

The order of the series are as follows

1. The Bronze Horseman
2. Tatiana and Alexander (aka Bridge to Holy Cross)
3. The Summer Garden.

I am currently reading the 3rd, The Summer Garden. I am totally in love with this series. Thought provoking, and gut wrenching.. The way a love story, should be. I have written my complete thoughts on both The Bronze Horseman, and Tatiana and Alexander under my reviews, on Good reads, if you want to know the full extent of my opinion. Lol. Otherwise I could go on forever.

Keta (ketadiablo) | 17 comments my mom read the bronze horseman and loved it, but i wouldn't let her tell me any spoliers. she said it was sad. Oh, no, i don't like sad! No, just kidding. I'm going to read it soon and thank you so much for telling me about the other two. I;ll be reading forever.

Best, Keta

message 18: by Michelle (last edited Jan 23, 2010 09:47AM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments I'll be starting Listen to Your Heart by Fern Michaels today. I rearranged my tbr order yet again. My mother read it and told me that it was kind of funny; and I'm just in the mood for something funny and non-pnr today.

message 19: by Megan (last edited Jan 26, 2010 07:15AM) (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Oh I just couldn't finish Morrigan's Cross (Circle trilogy #1). Page 80 did me in! BORING!! And I really tried to finish it as it was a featured author challenge in the RRRC group. Oh well. I'm now reading a Jane Austen fan fic book based on P&P Impulse & Initiative  What If Mr. Darcy Didn't Take No for an Answer? (A Pride & Prejudice Variation). Grabbed me from the first page.

Michelle | 3219 comments Megan wrote: "Oh I just couldn't finish Morrigan's Cross (Circle trilogy #1). Page 80 did me in! BORING!! And I really tried to finish it as it was a featured author challenge in the RRRC group. Oh well. I'm ..."

I struggled with Morrigan's Cross too, so I know what you mean. I have heard that the rest of the trilogy gets much better.

message 21: by Michelle (last edited Jan 24, 2010 10:55PM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments I finished Listen to Your Heart by Fern Michaels. I really enjoyed it. Like all romances, it was little silly at times. But it was a light and easy read, with some humorous moments. I'd recommend this book for anyone, dog lovers especially, that's looking for something light and easy to read.

Listen to Your Heart

Michelle | 3219 comments Starting The Lovely Bones

Carolyn F. | 350 comments Michelle, my daughter really wants to watch the movie of Lovely Bones. I finished Every Which Way But Dead and A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison. I don't have the next book in the series yet, so I'm holding off on her right now. Such good books. Now I'm trying to finish a challenge and started Full Moon Rising. I realized I've read it before. It's really good.

Michelle | 3219 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Michelle, my daughter really wants to watch the movie of Lovely Bones. I finished Every Which Way But Dead and A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison. I don'..."

I really enjoy the Rachel Morgan/ Hollows series. I've gotten as far as The Outlaw Demon Wails, and have been taking a break from the series. I'll have to restart it soon. I've done my best to avoid any spoilers. So far, A Fistful of Charms is my favorite one in that series.

Keta (ketadiablo) | 17 comments Here's what I just finished reading and what I'm reading in February:

Finished: An Indecent Proposition by Emma Wildes. This was a good erotic romance. I hope to write up a review for it soon here on Shelfari. Wildes is a great writer, and this is a historical -- about a woman who has a tortured past (husband was cruel and he died) and now she's decided to get back into the swing of social life. Two very decadent men have made a public bet that each is a better love than the other. When the widow finds out about the bet, she contacts them and offers to be the judge. Here's where it gets interesting, because we're supposed to have a Happily-ever-after, right? Well, you'll just have to read the book to find out how Ms. Wildes accomplished the HEA.

Finished: Drawn Into Darkness: Annette McCleave, This was good. It rate it about a four. An angel/demon theme with lots of scripture quotes. It's also a romantic/paranormal. I believe this is a debut book. I recommend reading if you like this genre.

Reading:

The Bronze Horseman, Pauline Simons. In fact, I just joined a group on Goodreads dedicated solely to this book. It's set in Russia during one of the big wars and features a lot of starvation, war, deplorable state of living and all that angst. It's very good and quite lengthy coming in at over 600 pages. Go to Goodreads if you've read this book or are interested in discussing it.

The Field Guide to Angels and Demons. Don't ask! This is exactly what it says, a guide about all the different demons that exist in society from countries around the world. Legend and lore type thing and how to get rid of a certain demon if you're having trouble with one. I bought this for

Belladonna, Anne Bishop. This is the second book in her series. I think the first one was titled Sebastian. And I bought them out of order. Now, I must go back and read the first. The writing is deep and the plot complicated, but if you concentrate and stick with it, quite enjoyable. Blurb: The Eater of the World is casting its shadow over the landscape of Ephemera, tainting people's souls with doubts and fears. Glorianna Belladonna possesses the ability to thwart the Eater, but she's not along. Michael, a man with mysterious power of his own will help.

Warlord, Elizabeth Elliott, an older medieval historical about an arranged marriage. So far so good, although I am not spellbound. This book came highly recommended by readers who love medieval romance.

More later and Happy Reading!

Keta Diablo

On Order:

Soulless
House of Dark Desires

Michelle | 3219 comments Keta wrote: "Here's what I just finished reading and what I'm reading in February:

Finished: An Indecent Proposition by Emma Wildes. This was a good erotic romance. I hope to write up a review for it soon here..."

I have Sebastian and Belladonna, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I'd be interested in reading your reviews when your done Keta. I seriously need to rearrange my tbr order, and then take a few days off work, and just read! I see you have Soulless on order, I really enjoyed that one. It's definitely a different kind of pnr with a lot of humor.

Carolyn F. | 350 comments Finished Full Moon Rising and started Kissing Sin, really good series so far.

Michelle | 3219 comments In addition to The Lovely Bones, I've decided to start Dark Lover. Lovely Bones is on hold until this weekend.

Megan | 1285 comments LOL- Michelle- do you not feel like crying until the weekend? ;o)

Michelle | 3219 comments Megan wrote: "LOL- Michelle- do you not feel like crying until the weekend? ;o)"

That's exactly why, lol! I was thinking about it all day at work and decided it'd be best if I just read it on the weekend so I could follow it up with some funny movies.

message 31: by Michelle (last edited Jan 27, 2010 07:23PM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments I just finished Decadent Deceptions. I really enjoyed it. It's a combo of historical romance, mystery/suspense, erotica, and a touch of humor. It's in e-book format, and this was the first e-book that I've ever read. In total, its about 200 pages. I'll be moving on to Dark Lover tonight.

Michelle | 3219 comments Just finished Dark Lover, and no its not because I read super fast, or couldn't just put it down. I knew that I tried to read Dark Lover before, couldn't get into it and set it aside. I thought that I'd maybe read the first 50 pages or so. When I dug it out of my pile of books, I realized I read about 200 pages. I decided to pick up where I left off, and remembered very quickly why I set it aside. I was frustrated with what I felt was a lack of romantic tension, and didn't feel that Mr. X needed just about every other chapter. All that said, I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't continue with this series. I already have book 2 on hand, and will probably read it very soon. I'll just chalk it up to what Ann calls the "First Book in a New Series" syndrome.

message 33: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jan 28, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 350 comments I don't like the X or O people either and tend to skip them. My mind wandered during all the megalomaniacal talk, "Yes yes they want to kill all the good people and take over the world." Boring. I liked the romance parts however, although the slang was a little too much for me. Although it did give me fodder to embarass my 12 year old daughter with which is a plus :)

Carolyn F. | 350 comments Last night I finished Kissing Sin, started Tempting Evil. Quinn is driving me crazy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) I am reading Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2). I love the way Patricia Briggs writes.

Michelle | 3219 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Last night I finished Kissing Sin, started Tempting Evil. Quinn is driving me crazy. "

Quinn really irks me sometimes. I put off reading Tempting Evil, because I wanted to stretch out the series a little bit. I've read here on GR that the series gets better with each book.

Michelle | 3219 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I am reading Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2). I love the way Patricia Briggs writes."

She's one of my favorite authors. I can hardly wait until Silver Borne is released this March.

message 38: by Michelle (last edited Jan 28, 2010 09:36PM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Starting The Mercenary (T-FLAC, #1) (Revised Edition) by Cherry Adair.

Carolyn F. | 350 comments Tell me what you think of Cherry Adair. I tried one of her books and couldn't get through it.

I finished Tempting Evil. I really like this series. I'm now reading Flowers from the Storm. First time I've read her and it's pretty good.

Michelle | 3219 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I'm reading Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan It's really good, so far!"

I saw that at Borders the other, and now I'm kicking myself for not getting a copy.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Michelle, it's not too late! It's definitely the most unique storyline I've ever read and I love the character developement taking place.

Keta (ketadiablo) | 17 comments Reading: The Bronze Horseman, Pauline Simons and Perfect Darkness, Jamie Rusch, keta, http://www.ketadiablo.com

Megan | 1285 comments I will be starting Scandalous Virtue today in order to "warm-up" for my Brenda Hiatt book in my Feb challenge!

Carolyn F. | 350 comments Finished Flowers from the Storm and A Well Pleasured Lady. Both books were so-so. I'm starting For a Few Demons More today.

message 46: by Michelle (last edited Feb 01, 2010 08:06PM) (new)

Michelle | 3219 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Tell me what you think of Cherry Adair. I tried one of her books and couldn't get through it.

I finished Tempting Evil. I really like this series. I'm now reading [book:Flowers fro..."

I finished The Mercenary by Cherry Adair. I know some the ratings weren't very good, but I really enjoyed it. I've rated five stars. I felt like there was a good mixture of the action,suspense, and romance. I didn't find there to be any lulls in the novel. I read a revised version, and I'm not exactly sure what was different from the original. I plan on reading book two sometime this month.

Michelle | 3219 comments Starting The River Knows by Amanda Quick tonight.

Carolyn F. | 350 comments Michelle wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "Tell me what you think of Cherry Adair. I tried one of her books and couldn't get through it.

I finished Tempting Evil. I really like this series. I'm now read..."

I have 3 of her books, but only started one and couldn't stand it. I'll have to give her a try with a different book.

Carolyn F. | 350 comments I finished For a Few Demons More and bawled my head off. This was the saddest book. I'm glad I held off reading the next book. You have to read Kim Harrison's books in order. I also finished The Outlaw Demon Wails and am starting White Witch, Black Curse. Then I'll be all up to date until her next book comes out.

Michelle | 3219 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I finished For a Few Demons More and bawled my head off. This was the saddest book. I'm glad I held off reading the next book. You have to read Kim Harrison's books i..."

How did you like The Outlaw Demon Wails? I still have to read that one.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13