The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Mythology Books?

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 110 comments I hope that this is the right place, I apologize if it isn't. :)

I've been listening to the Percy Jackson series in my car (I'm about halfway through book 4), and I'm wondering what some other good mythology type books might be?

I used to love mythology as a kid, and the Percy Jackson series has brought that love back.

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8378 comments Mod
I think it is better suited for the recommendations folder... so I moved it :)

message 3: by Bhumi (last edited Jan 18, 2010 05:03PM) (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments I totally agree, Jenni. I adore the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series - Rick Riordan is a wonderful author.

Clare | 27 comments Hi Jenni, I haven't read the Percy Jackson series but I love mythology particularly Greek. There's always the classics like Homer's Iliad and Odyssey or Ovid's Metamorphoses but if they are too dreary there are retellings like Margaret George's 'Helen of Troy' or C.S. Lewis's retelling of the romance of Cupid and Psyche which are both good. Ummm, will probably think of more later.

Would you recommend the Percy Jackson series? I've looked into it and it seems a bit too young. I've grown out of Harry Potter.

Peregrine The Alchemyst by Michael Scott. Sequels out already are The Magician and The Sorceress, with The Necromancer due out on May 25/10.

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 903 comments If you are looking for mythology-based fiction, you might like Katherine Alice Applegate's Everworld series. It starts with Search for Senna.

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 110 comments Thanks all! :)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Clare, if you've grown out of Harry Potter, Percy Jackson is going to be too young for you. However, if you can get past that, the stories are cute, smart and fun, and even educational, in a way. The mythology is very well done. :)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Jenni, I would also recommend Colleen McCullough's Song of Troy. It's very good!

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 110 comments Clare,

I second what Becky says. It's a good series, but if you've grown out of Harry Potter, Percy Jackson might not be for you. They are a great series - especially for the target audience. I've really enjoyed listening to the series in my car, and would recommend the audio version to anyone! :)

Becky,

Thanks! I think I'm going to read the Colleen McCullogh book, in addition to the ones that Clare, Joseph, and Peregrine mentioned.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Good! I look forward to seeing what you think of it. :D

Tani | 137 comments I haven't read it yet myself, but I recently added Temping Fate to my to-read list, which seems like it might also be somewhat in line with what you're looking for.

Rachel | 310 comments American Gods by Neil Gaiman, takes familiar gods from many cultures and throws them together in an exciting story.

Fiona (bookcoop) Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier is basd around celtic mythology. It's part of a trilogy, which isn't all that, but the first one reads perfectly well on its own.

The Game by Diana Wynne Jones which is only a novella is a fun trip through various myths and legends.

Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones which is more YA then The Game and is based on the Scottish legend of Tam Lin.

In fact many of DWJ's books are based on mythology/legends in a more subtle way than overt.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments Jenni, peeking at my library you'll notice I'm a fan of mythological based books, too!

Aside from what people have recommended here's more!

Marion Zimmer Bradley
* The Firebrand <- Troy
* The Mists of Avalon <- Arthurian
* The Fall of Atlantis

Stephanie Draven (Romance E-Books)
* Midnight Medusa
* Wild, Tethered, Bound

Michelle Moran (Egyptian historicals)
* Nefertiti
* The Heretic Queen
* Cleopatra's Daughter

Gena Showalter
* The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) (whole series)

Sound of Muses E-Books
http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/...

Colleen McCullough
* Song of Troy

P.C. Cast
* Goddess of the Sea
* Goddess of Light
* Goddess of the Rose

Ida (saiphero) | 21 comments Jenni wrote: "I hope that this is the right place, I apologize if it isn't. :)

I've been listening to the Percy Jackson series in my car (I'm about halfway through book 4), and I'm wondering what some other ..."

Book 4? Wow? I'm gonna start book 3 soon. I hope I can finish it in no time and continue to book 4 and 5.

Bird (thebird) Pandora Gets Jealous by Carolyn Hennesey looks cute and fun. Like Percy, it's also a YA series. I haven't read it yet, but definitely plan to in the future.

Roberta Genovese (Robs08) | 7 comments Ithaka and Troy by Adele Geras are also great, although they are YA too. She also has a new book Dido which I haven't read yet though it looks promising.
I love Greek Mythology. I can't wait to read the Percy Jackson books.

message 19: by Adrienne (last edited Feb 07, 2010 09:56AM) (new)

Adrienne (A-Town) | 308 comments Bulfinch's Mythology by Thomas Bulfinch is an excellent reference for any lover of Greco-roman mythology.

I would also recommend the books Quicksilver and Quiver by Stephanie Spinner just for fun reads based off of Greek myths, particularly since you like the Percy Jackson series.

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 903 comments If you like The Lightning Thief, check out this bookshelf: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Mahum *It's Summer!!!!* (MadaboutMusic) | 65 comments I love mythology, and the Percy Jackson series is really good!

Mahum *It's Summer!!!!* (MadaboutMusic) | 65 comments I would recommend the tapestry series by Henry H. Neff, it is relly good!

Tara (tbm126) | 274 comments I am so glad that this is a thread! I also picked up Percy Jackson because I love mythology, and they just don't seem to write books like that for adults! It is a book that is clearly written for children, but doesn't have too many "That's too ridiculous for my adult mind" moments (that's the best description I can come up with at the moment)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Tara, definitely pick up Song of Troy if you're looking for a good adult mythology book. Colleen McCullough is great! :)

Ashley (farrkling) | 39 comments One author that I really like that mixes mythology and fantasy is Francesca Lia Block. She's a young adult author but I still love her books as an adult. Her style is more poetic dream than epic fantasy.

She's got a really interesting book that IS for adults though. Nymph, it's a collection of short stories that intermingle and mix mythology with eroticism. I don't often read erotic books but because I've read basically everything by her I had to give it a try. It's a great read even if your not into that.

Mahum *It's Summer!!!!* (MadaboutMusic) | 65 comments I think that I will look Francesca up! but what is erotic?

Ashley (farrkling) | 39 comments I probably shouldn't tell you what it is if you don't already know...but it's, to put it crudely, a genre that emphasizes sexual love or desire in a more graphic way than usual. But this book is so much more than just smut.

Mainon (thekillerkitten) | 4 comments One of my favorite books ever is C.S. Lewis's Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold, based on the myth of Cupid and Psyche -- I can't recommend it highly enough.

Mahum *It's Summer!!!!* (MadaboutMusic) | 65 comments I love C.S. Lewis's chronicles of narnia!

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 903 comments Lovers of Riordan's Percy Jackson series have to check out his newest work: The Red Pyramid. This one focuses on Egyptian mythology and I thought it was great!

Mahum *It's Summer!!!!* (MadaboutMusic) | 65 comments I have to read that!