Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Group Reads -- February: Skinwalker - March: Rosemary & Rue

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Jan 18, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Group Read Nomination and Vote Time again... We'll take the first 14 book title nominations and I'll split them up in to two groups of seven in the Polls. The winner from each group will be our Group Read for February and then March.

The rules for submitting a book title:
1) One submission per UF member (regardless of whether we are nominating for more than one month at a time).
2) Please submit the title, author, and a brief description of the book.
3) UF titles are preferred, but Supernatural, Sci-Fi, PNR, and Fantasy are acceptable too.
4) It must be the first book in a series or a stand-alone title.
NOTE = If the title is in a series, but can be read without previous knowledge of the earlier books, feel free to submit it.
5) If we have already read and discussed the first book in the series as a group, the second title can be submitted, etc.

You can view our Group Read History here.

We'll go to a total of 14 nominations or an end date of Friday, January 22nd - whichever comes first.

Please start nominating titles... and newcomers, please don't be shy - we would love to hear from you!

---

FEBRUARY:
1. Skinwalker by Faith Hunter
2. Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn
3. Tainted by Julie Kenner
4. The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo
5. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
6. Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione
7. Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland

MARCH:
8. Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
9. Bitter Night: A Horngate Witches Book by Diana Pharaoh Francis
10. Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding
11. Deadtown by Nancy Holzner
12. Confessions of a Demon by S.L. Wright
13. Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender
14. Staked by J.F. Lewis

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 138 comments I nominate Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Jan 18, 2010 06:33AM) (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) How about this one? Rosemary and Rue bySeanan McGuire

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish (Boxiedoxie) Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn

It's about three half-fae sisters, one being half witch. Their powers are unpredicatable, and they have enemies. That's all that I got out of the description.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments How about Tainted by Julie Kenner

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) My pick for this run is Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

message 9: by Yodamom (last edited Jan 18, 2010 07:36AM) (new)

Yodamom My pick for Feb.-Magic to the Boneby Devon Monk -Working as a Hound—tracing illegal spells back to their casters—has taken its toll on Allison Beckstrom. But even though magic has given her migraines and stolen her recent memory, Allie isn’t about to quit. Then the police’s magic enforcement division asks her to consult on a missing persons case. But what seems to be a straightforward job turns out to be anything but, as Allie finds herself drawn into the underworld of criminals, ghosts, and blood magic.
For March-Deadtown by Nancy Holzner
They call it Deadtown: the city’s quarantined section for its inhuman and undead residents. Most humans stay far from its borders — but Victory Vaughn, Boston’s only professional demon slayer, isn’t exactly human…

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Yodamom, you only get one nomination. Thanks.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) | 2 comments How about Confessions of a Demon by S.L. Wright?

message 12: by Jakub (new)

Jakub (jnareb) | 21 comments I nominate Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison, first book in "Hollows" series. Alternate Universe/History urban fantasy.

message 13: by Ana (new)

Ana (anacnunes) My pick:
Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Sinopsis: All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party ... and to feed.
Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining -- and it’s Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.
A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead ... or undead.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Oh I see the one I nominated is already on a list for March. Ooops

message 15: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Sandra wrote: "Oh I see the one I nominated is already on a list for March. Ooops"

It is your pick that is up for March. :)

message 16: by Theresa (last edited Jan 18, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Ana C. wrote: "My pick:
Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Ana, Jakub submitted that same title just a few minutes before you. Would you like to pick a different title to submit?

message 17: by Archer (new)

Archer Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Riga (aeriga) I would love to read Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender
Bad girls dont die

message 19: by Nia (last edited Jan 18, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

Nia | 22 comments Diana Rowland: Mark of the Demon

Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) by Diana Rowland

message 20: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 35 comments Staked by J.F. Lewis.

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Nominations are now CLOSED. Polls will be up by the end of tomorrow. Thanks!

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) The polls are up and votes will be accepted until Tuesday, January 26th.

You can reach the polls here.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Theresa wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Oh I see the one I nominated is already on a list for March. Ooops"

It is your pick that is up for March. :)"

Oh! Good, cuz I just bought it. :)

message 24: by Theresa (last edited Jan 26, 2010 06:42AM) (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) The results of the poll are:

February: Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

March: Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) | 281 comments I'm glad Rosemary and Rue is the March book. I'm focusing on my TBR pile and R and R is in that pile.

message 26: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 821 comments I am looking forward to both of these. One is one I have read, the other is one I have wanted to.

message 27: by Joseph (last edited Jan 26, 2010 11:45AM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 138 comments Cool, two great books and one of them my nomination! :-) I think the group is going to like reading them, they certainly are unique.

message 28: by Elena (new)

Elena I am looking forward to read Rosemary and Rue in March. Ready to something beside vampires.

message 29: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Davies | 26 comments Books selects looks great.

message 30: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Davies | 26 comments Anyone know where I can purchase Rosemary and Rue ebook for kindle, not available for australian download at amazon :(

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) This one sounds interesting, and I hope I get a chance to read it for discussion.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Skinwalker (other topics)
Rosemary and Rue (other topics)
Witchling (other topics)
Bitter Night (other topics)
Tainted (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Faith Hunter (other topics)
Seanan McGuire (other topics)
Yasmine Galenorn (other topics)